WIT @ Ohio State - 3/2/2013

Old college threads.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

WIT @ Ohio State - 3/2/2013

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

(Cribbed from Daniel's thread)

Sorry for the delay in posting this, before I knew that Jasper and I would be editing this thing, I had reserved rooms for a History Bowl tournament in our usual space and getting more rooms requires a lot of work for a university of 50k students, apparently.

OSU will host a mirror of the Western Invitational Tournament, a regular difficulty packet-submission tournament edited by members of the OSU and Berkeley teams, along with Auroni Gupta, on Saturday, March 2, 2013. Registration will run from 8:00-8:45, and games will start immediately thereafter.

Fees:
Base fee: $120
Travel discount: $10 off per 200 miles traveled (one-way as determined by Google)
Buzzer discount: $10 off per working buzzer
Moderator discount: $10 off per moderator (contact me beforehand if you plan on bringing a moderator)

WIT's packet submission requirements are the same as that of ACF. Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 must submit a packet for this event.

Packet Schedule:
January 1: -$50
January 6: -$25
January 20: No Penalty
February 3: +$25
February 17: +$50
After February 17: $5 extra per day unless you have extenuating circumstances that you clear with the editors. If we don't have your packet by February 24, then you will not be allowed to play, no matter what.

Distribution:
5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 2/2 World/Your Choice)
5/5 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European (at least 1 British), 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 physics, and 1 question each on chemistry, earth science, astronomy, math, computer science, and science history)
3/3 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Trash
1/1 Current Events, Geography, or Your Choice

Packets should be emailed to Tanay Kothari (tanay(dot)[email protected]) with the subject line “WIT Packet: [Team Name].”

To register, please email me at the giantkiller54[AT]gmail[DOT]com . Please include team number and any discounts you may be eligible for in the email. We'll send out e-mails with more information as the tournament approaches. I look forward to seeing everyone on March 2!

Field:
Michigan (2)
Saajid (1)
Case Western (2)
OSU (3)
Connor Teevens (1)
Ottawa (1)
CMU (1)
McMaster (1)
TOTAL: 12
Last edited by Rufous-capped Thornbill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Re: WIT @ Ohio State - 3/2/2013

So, right now we only have one team registered, and we're about a week and a half away from this tournament, so please register!
Jarret Greene
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Team "Canada" is interested in attending this. We're currently seeking permission to field a multi-University team
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Since it took longer than usual to get this site announced, playing here is now packet-optional. So even if you haven't written a packet (Michigan State), you can come play.

As per a Canadian hybrid team, I'm afraid we're going to have to disallow it. You can feel free to come down and play this with your respective universities, however, we'd love to have you!
Jarret Greene
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

So I could come down and play as McMaster by myself potentially?
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Senator_Jay wrote:So I could come down and play as McMaster by myself potentially?
Yes.
Jarret Greene
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Great...there's a possibility of that happening. Next question would be: how much would it cost for me coming down from Hamilton, ON (about 4-5hrs), playing by myself, with buzzers?
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Although we regret your decision to disallow a hybrid team, logistical planning is underway for a uOttawa team and a McMaster team, and possibly an Algonquin College team.

Please advise as to any pertinent shorthanded team discounts at your site.

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

I'm going to talk to Auroni about shorthanded discounts and get back to you guys.
Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

All teams who are coming to this tournament should send me an e-mail if you haven't already. Facebook messages, PMs, etc. are not sufficient. Specifically, I'd like to know just how many Canadian teams are coming.
Jarret Greene
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Inkana7 wrote:All teams who are coming to this tournament should send me an e-mail if you haven't already. Facebook messages, PMs, etc. are not sufficient. Specifically, I'd like to know just how many Canadian teams are coming.
Just sent you an e-mail at the giantkiller address. Two (2) teams from Canada are coming, one from uOttawa (me) and one from McMaster (Jay Misuk). We'll both have buzzers and, should you need them, laptops.

Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Since there are so many 1 man teams, maybe people would be interested having just some sort of round robin tournament + finals followed by a draft where we could mix up the teams for some fun. Obviously, this would be contingent on there being enough packets and this being allowed by the glorious editors. But it seems like it would be interesting.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Ringil wrote:Since there are so many 1 man teams, maybe people would be interested having just some sort of round robin tournament + finals followed by a draft where we could mix up the teams for some fun. Obviously, this would be contingent on there being enough packets and this being allowed by the glorious editors. But it seems like it would be interesting.
This could be fun. Case's second team is also a solo act.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

Ringil wrote:Since there are so many 1 man teams, maybe people would be interested having just some sort of round robin tournament + finals followed by a draft where we could mix up the teams for some fun. Obviously, this would be contingent on there being enough packets and this being allowed by the glorious editors. But it seems like it would be interesting.
I endorse this.
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Ringil wrote:Obviously, this would be contingent on there being enough packets
The final set will have 18 packets, which I expect will be sufficient.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Yeah, as Tanay said, we'll have 18 packets, and that sounds like a lot of fun, so I'm totally good with that.

I'm also adding an OSU team and capping the field at 12. I'll send an e-mail with information out sometime in the next 48 hours.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that this tournament is 50% solo teams, which has to be some kind of record.
Jarret Greene
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Inkana7 wrote:Since it took longer than usual to get this site announced, playing here is now packet-optional. So even if you haven't written a packet (Michigan State), you can come play.

As per a Canadian hybrid team, I'm afraid we're going to have to disallow it. You can feel free to come down and play this with your respective universities, however, we'd love to have you!
Also, another question about this. How will the penalty discounts/penalties be applied considering the fact that many teams did not submit a packet for this.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Ringil wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:Since it took longer than usual to get this site announced, playing here is now packet-optional. So even if you haven't written a packet (Michigan State), you can come play.

Also, another question about this. How will the penalty discounts/penalties be applied considering the fact that many teams did not submit a packet for this.
Great question, and I'll get back to everyone with an exact answer after I talk to Auroni.
Jarret Greene
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

mhayes wrote: This could be fun.
Speaking of fun-Jay and I are staying in the area Saturday night and are looking to do something for an after-party, the more the merrier.

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

This tournament will be taking place entirely within University Hall. Please meet in room 014 of that building for registration, which will be from 8:15-45. Be on time so we can start games. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the closest parking garage to University is is the Ohio Union South Garage.

In addition, after talking everything over with Auroni, we decided on a solo player discount of -60, with all other discounts applying. So, for example, if you are playing solo and bring a buzzer, you'll have to pay $50. Packet discounts and penalties will apply to those teams that submitted a packet (So, Michigan).

Thanks! If you have any questions, e-mail me.
Jarret Greene
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Inkana7 wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the closest parking garage to University is is the Ohio Union South Garage.
That's basically true; the Neil Avenue garage is marginally closer to University Hall, but probably much harder to get to unless you're coming to campus via 315.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Inkana7 wrote:Packet discounts and penalties will apply to those teams that submitted a packet (So, Michigan).
I submitted for the -25 deadline (for some reason, I am listed by my name, not my school).

Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Michigan A (Kurtis, Libo, Todd) cleared the field; Saajid was top scorer. Final stats (pending some corrections) are here.

Speaking for myself, I wanted to thank everyone for coming out and playing some great games. Thanks also to Jarret, Jasper and everyone else who put this set together.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Just wanted to thank everyone at the tournament for a very enjoyable time! Thanks to Jarret for running the show, Brice, Avery (Jarret again!) and all our other readers and scorekeepers, and the participants (great games, guys and girls). :-)

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Awesome weekend everyone! Thanks to Jarret and everyone at OSU for hosting a great event, everything ran smoothly and it was a lot of fun. Hope to see you all at another tournament in the near future.
Jay Misuk