Collegiate Novice @ Waterloo (Sept 29)

Old college threads.
mhyee
Lulu

Collegiate Novice @ Waterloo (Sept 29)

Post by mhyee »

The University of Waterloo Quizbowl club is happy to announce a mirror of Early Autumn Collegiate Novice, occurring on September 29th at the University, in the RCH building. We welcome teams from all across Canada and the United States, and look forward to seeing you all soon.

Collegiate Novice is meant to be a 10 pack introductory undergraduate tournament, so please adhere to the guidelines outlined at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13431. Any exceptions will need to be cleared through Andrew Hart, not through the TD, Jj Li, although please inform the TD of any exceptions.

The fee structure will be:
$60 base
-$10 for buzzers
-$5/200 km travelled
-$15 per missing teammate
-$20 for first time quizbowl schools
-$10 for each additional team
-$5 per moderator

A base fee of $5 per player will be required per player.

To avoid delays in paying both writers and issuing statements, please print out the attached form and fill in your fees. It will be verified and signed at the tournament, thus giving each team an on the spot receipt. If you require a typed receipt, please email your information to [email protected] , so we can have it for you on the day of the tournament.

Parking is free on the weekends, and all teams will get a map. There are also local eating places for lunch, although we might provide pizza for a fee.

RSVPing is preferred to [email protected]

Hope to see you on September 29!
UWaterloo QB

Time and Location Information

Please arrive at RCH 204 by 9AM.

Note that RCH (Rod Coutts Hall) is sometimes called "J.R. Coutts Engineering Lecture Hall" on older maps.

A campus and parking map can be found here.

Parking Lot X (north of Columbia St) is free on weekends, but is a bit of a walk; I'm guessing 15-20 minutes. Parking Lot C is closer, but costs $5. You can find more information about parking here.

Please contact me or Jj if you have any questions about maps or parking.

Field
Waterloo [3]
McMaster [2]
Western [1]
Guelph [1]
Toronto [1?]
Attachments
Invoice Template for Collegiate Novice.doc
(37 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by mhyee on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Re: Collegiate Novice @ Waterloo (Sept 29)

Post by Senator_Jay »

We should have at least one team for this!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
hzhan263
Kimahri

Post by hzhan263 »

We should as well. I'll try to get two, but I'll have more info next week.

Edit: signature added.
Hanze (Wilson) Zhang
University of Western Ontario '14 (Ivey HBA)
President, UWO Quizbowl
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Yeah, as of last night, it's looking like 1 team plus a couple extras (maybe alternates, maybe scorekeepers?). I'll get the for-sure number tomorrow night at practice.
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Senator_Jay wrote:Yeah, as of last night, it's looking like 1 team plus a couple extras (maybe alternates, maybe scorekeepers?). I'll get the for-sure number tomorrow night at practice.
I don't know if you noticed, but this tournament is essentially costed at $15 per player, so if you had say 6 interested people, they could play on two teams of 3 for 1.5 times the cost of a full team rather than the usual 2x the full team price that it would normally cost.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Guelph will have a team for this, with possibly only two people on it. Will confirm after practice on Thursday.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

The first post has been updated with time and location information. Please contact me or Jj if you have any questions.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Aight, Mac is sending 2 teams of 3, which can be consolidated or spread out if needed. I'll pass along the building info, but they may get lost (I won't be with them).
Jay Misuk

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Also regarding parking, the parking lot at St. Jerome's College is also free on weekends and is closer than the Columbia St. parking lot.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

We will, in fact, have one team of two, as well as a buzzer system.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

This tournament is now in progress. Statistics for the preliminary rounds can be found here.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

The teams have been rebracketed into two brackets of three for the playoffs. Stats can be found here.

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Guelph and Western Ontario finished at 5-2, and a one-game final between them is in progress.

Stats zombie.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Congratulations to the University of Guelph, who beat the University of Western Ontario in a one-game final to win Waterloo's mirror of the 2012 Early Autumn Collegiate Novice. Final stats can be found here.

Stats zombie.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Congratulations to Guelph for winning. It's nice to see so many novice collegiate players coming out and playing quizbowl, for some, their first time.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

There was an error on my part in the previously posted statistics concerning the number of tossups read in the Guelph-Waterloo B playoff game. This has been corrected.

Stats zombie.