Illinois's Fall Tournament

Old college threads.
Ike
Auron

Illinois's Fall Tournament

Post by Ike »

This is the general announcement for University of Illinois’s in-house produced fall tournament, which is geared toward a less-than-regular difficulty. Since we can't really settle on a name, you'll be allowed to call the tournament whatever you want as long as it isn't misleading.

Number of Packets: There will be 15 packets of equal difficulty.

Difficulty: The difficulty of this tournament will be approximately equal to that of Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament and ACF Fall. To clarify, this tournament will be easier than any EFT, and most likely as easy or a tinge harder than MUT. Consult MUT and ACF Fall from the last three years for a target difficulty.

Tossup Length: Tossups will be in between five or six lines. Bonus parts will not exceed two lines per a part, with that length being a maximum, not the average. All of this assumes TNR 10. The size and type of font may be different in the final packets.

Powers: This is still undecided right now. We are leaning towards not power-marking this set.

People working on this Tournament: This tournament has questions produced by Billy Busse, Austin Listerud and Ike Jose. Jonathan Magin has wondrously agreed to help us in controlling difficulty and removing bad ideas. Other “luminaries” may also be on this project.

Round Distribution

4/4 Literature - 1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World or more of the first 3.
4/4 History - 1/1 American, 1/1 World, 2/2 European, with 0/1 or 1/0 of that being Classical
4/4 Science - 1/1 Biology, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Chemistry and 1/1 Other Science [this will truly be other, not more of the above]

1/0 Trash

7/8 of:
3/3 Art - 1/1 Painting, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other Arts
3/3 RMP
1/1 SS
1/1 Geo/CE

Total: 20/20. The trash tossup will be guaranteed within the first 20 questions, tiebreakers will come from any category, notably not just the big 3 like ACF stipulates.

Progress: Over 40% of this tournament is written. However that does not mean we are 40% done. We will be allocating significant resources to editing, copy-editing, making pronunciation more moderator friendly, and possible play-testing.

Tournament Eligibility: You can play this tournament as long as you are affiliated with a school in the ACF sense of the term. If you are unsure of your eligibility status, you should contact us or your TD. Also, there will be no open teams allowed at this tournament, no matter what the reason. Chimera or scab teams are only allowed for the purposes of filling out a field. People who need to play “unaffiliated” for whatever reason should contact us to resolve any issues. Exceptions might be made if there is some scenario I haven't envisioned here, but that's not likely. Play with your own schools people!

Dates: The University of Illinois’s mirror of this tournament will occur in early-October. This set will be ready for use for mirrors (see below) by September, since we are following a very strict writing and editing schedule.

Mirrors: We want this tournament to be mirrored elsewhere. We will be actively seeking mirrors, and keeping a list of tournament sites below. Contact me if you want to mirror this set.

Questions should not be directed toward me, but rather towards Billy Busse, at busse4 AT illinois.edu.

Future Mirror sites:
East Coast:
Southeast:
South:
Great Lakes:
Midwest:
Northwest:
UK:
West Coast (North):
West Coast (South):
Northeast: Yale, tentatively October 6th

(This section of the document stolen from Eliza's MUT announcement,)
Ike
UIUC 13
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Illinois's Fall Tournament

Post by Cheynem »

(I don't intend on playing this because I don't want to totally wreck the field because I'm awesome, but just to clarify for everyone):

Are graduate students allowed to play this tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

(I don't intend on playing this because I don't want to totally wreck the field because I'm awesome, but just to clarify for everyone):

Are graduate students allowed to play this tournament?
They certainly are, within the confines of rules laid out above.
Ike
UIUC 13
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

As of 8/28/12, Illinois, Yale, Minnesota, Rice, Claremont, Buffalo, Maryland, Stanford, and Chipola have secured mirrors of IFT.

We have not finalized a Northwest site, a Missouri site, a Southeast site, or a UK site.

EDIT: More mirrors
Austin
Illinois
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

progress update: we have written 87% of the tournament. All the literature, fine arts, philosophy, social science, mythology, current events, geography and trash have been edited, copy edited and play tested with Mike Sorice, Aaron Rosenberg and some other members of UIUC.

We anticipate that we will be completely finished in two to three weeks.
Ike
UIUC 13
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I would like to remind everyone that this tournament is closed: you must be playing with your own school. The only reason you should be playing with another school is because the tournament director needs to make a smooth schedule.

This means that if you are not enrolled in a school, you cannot play this tournament. These rules bind to high schoolers as well - you will not be allowed to play this tournament with other high schoolers as teammates, unless they are from your own school.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

When will I be getting the packets for our event (Oct 6)? If you can do this by Oct 2nd, that would make my hectic school easier. Also, who does the check go to (you can PM that).

Thanks!
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

The set will be emailed to you today if you email Billy Busse at [email protected] (where you have removed REMOVECAPS in the email address.)

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Ike wrote:The set will be emailed to you today if you email Billy Busse at [email protected] (where you have removed REMOVECAPS in the email address.)

Ike
Excellent! Thank you!
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Hey I just wanted to post this because I've gotten some inquiries about this, but IIllinois doesn't consider it "clubbing-baby-seals sort of taboo" if someone "seasoned" who chooses to play this tournament does so, assuming they have met the eligibility guidelines.

The main rationale for this was that for some teams, the only options for seasoned players this semester are Minnesota Open, Pennance and Quark, and for teams involved in the production of any of those tournaments, there are less.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Hi everyone.

We now have a discussion group for Illinois Fall Tournament. Please make sure you have a signature indicating your name so we can make sure you have played the tournament.

Thanks,
Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

The set is not yet clear for public discussion, for there is a mirror in the UK in late November.
Please e-mail us or request to join the private discussion to give specific comments.
Austin
Illinois
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

bag-of-worms wrote:The set is not yet clear for public discussion, for there is a mirror in the UK in late November.
Please e-mail us or request to join the private discussion to give specific comments.
Were we in fact the last mirror?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I don't think so. I think there is one more mirror that is possibly happening.
Ike
UIUC 13
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

Ike wrote:I don't think so. I think there is one more mirror that is possibly happening.
All mirrors have concluded. Feel free to post publicly about the set.
We will send the set for archiving soon.
Austin
Illinois
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

bag-of-worms wrote:Feel free to post publicly about the set.
It was pretty good.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight