QUARK Mirror at GWU 11/10/12

Old college threads.
chrislo
Lulu

QUARK Mirror at GWU 11/10/12

Post by chrislo »

The George Washington University will be hosting a mirror of the University of Michigan's QUARK on November 10, 2012.

The tournament will be held in Phillips and Rome Halls (#27 on the attached map; near the intersection of 22nd and H Sts. NW on our Foggy Bottom Campus, directly across from Gelman Library). The meeting room for the tournament will be Phillips B152.

Times
Registration for teams will be from 8 until 8:45. You must be registered by 8:45, so we can go through the logistics of the day and we will start the first round at 9. We will have invoices available the day of the tournament for any team upon request. If you get lost on the way here or are going to be late you can contact me at (732) 284-1283. We strongly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station on the Blue and Orange Lines as the way to get to the tournament. It's a block and a half away from the meeting building. Parking may be available, however, it is not free and very limited. Please follow all DC Parking Regulations. We are not responsible for towing, tickets, etc.

Fees
Base Fee: $120/team
Buzzer Discount: $5/buzzer
Staffer Discount: $10/staffer (If you are staffing, please bring a laptop)
Travel Discount: $10 (per 200 miles, one way)

Registration
To register for this tournament, please email us at gwqt {at} gwu {dot} edu. In that email, tell us what discounts you qualify for, if any, and if you will need an invoice. Acceptable methods for payment include check (made out to The George Washington University) or cash. No open teams will be allowed at this tournament.

Campus Map
A campus map can be found here: https://www.gwu.edu/sites/www.gwu.edu/f ... %20Map.pdf

Running Team List (Updated 11/9)
Penn State (3)
GMU
UPenn (2)
Hopkins (3)
UVA (2)
UMD (3)

NOTE: Tournament will be capped at sixteen teams due to space requirements. Registration for this tournament is closed.
Last edited by chrislo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 am, edited 17 times in total.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-2013)
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Re: QUARK Mirror at GWU 11/10/12

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Not sure putting this tournament the week between ACF Fall and Minnesota Open is the greatest idea. Then again, you may not have a different choice.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Vernon Lee Bad Marriage, Jr. wrote:Not sure putting this tournament the week between ACF Fall and Minnesota Open is the greatest idea. Then again, you may not have a different choice.
The latter is true, unfortunately.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Will open teams be allowed at this site?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

The Predictable Consequences wrote:Will open teams be allowed at this site?
No, we won't be allowing for open teams. Sorry.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-2013)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'm happy to see another tournament at GWU as it's a nice location (both objectively and for VCU).
chrislo wrote:Staffer Discount: $10/staffer (If you are staffing, please bring a laptop)
I assume the mistakes of ACF Regionals on this front have been learned from?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Nerdyninja13
Kimahri

Post by Nerdyninja13 »

So I was looking at the rail line schedules a bit.
Maybe I'm misreading them, but do the blue and orange lines stop at foggy bottom on weekends?
I saw the stop on the weekday route but not the weekend.
Also do you recommend a station that will have good parking for the day? Most of the ones I've found are rather distant from the foggy bottom station.
Also, I'm not sure if you've been contacted by the club president or any one else but Penn State is hoping to send 3 teams (though it may end up being 2) to this tournament.

Thanks,
Max Spangler
PSU Quizbowl - Treasurer
Maxwell Spangler
Penn State Quiz Bowl - Treasurer
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Nerdyninja13 wrote:So I was looking at the rail line schedules a bit.
Maybe I'm misreading them, but do the blue and orange lines stop at foggy bottom on weekends?
Also do you recommend a station that will have good parking for the day? Most of the ones I've found are rather distant from the foggy bottom station.
Also, I'm not sure if you've been contacted by the club president or any one else but Penn State is hoping to send 3 teams (though it may end up being 2) to this tournament.
I'm not sure where you were looking, but yeah, trains stop at Foggy Bottom (and all other stations) on weekends. The only exceptions are when there are station closures, and there isn't one listed for Foggy Bottom on that day.

What exactly is your plan, driving-wise? If you're driving from State College, you might as well just drive down to GW and park. You could try driving to Shady Grove, which has ample parking, but it's going to add unnecessary time. Parking in the vicinity of GW isn't great, but it's manageable (especially if you're willing to spend some amount of money that's assuredly less than what 4 metro tickets would cost).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Nerdyninja13 wrote:So I was looking at the rail line schedules a bit.

Thanks,
Max Spangler
PSU Quizbowl - Treasurer
Thanks for letting us know! And, the metro does always stop at Foggy Bottom on weekends.
Chris
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Under a month! Sign up, guys, it'll be fun!
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Edward Cullen Bryant wrote:Under a month! Sign up, guys, it'll be fun!
UNC is interested in sending a team or two.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

We'll be here with up to 3 teams but I need to nail down some more commitments before we actually register.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Provided we can find someone to drive us (and we still have the funds to attend), we'll send a team.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
CWSYuen
Lulu

Post by CWSYuen »

Rutgers will be sending one team and two buzzer sets. We may or may not send a staffer as well.
CWSYuen
BCA 08'-11', Rutgers 11'-Present
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

CWSYuen wrote:Rutgers will be sending one team and two buzzer sets. We may or may not send a staffer as well.
Thanks for letting us know!
Chris
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

We're looking for two more readers to help full up our tournament. Free lunch and our gratitude our provided. If you will be able to attend, please let us know before Sunday (10/4). Contact info is same as above. Thanks!

EDIT: We have enough readers now! Thank you so much for everyone who requested to help out!
Chris
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Just a heads up. Buses are replacing trains between East Falls Church and Clarendon on the Orange Line this weekend, please add 10-15 minutes at least to your travels if you are coming from the Fairfax area.
Chris
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

chrislo wrote:Just a heads up. Buses are replacing trains between East Falls Church and Clarendon on the Orange Line this weekend, please add 10-15 minutes at least to your travels if you are coming from the Fairfax area.
Uh, leave more than that, if you read this in time. Metro shuttle operations were designed by Morlocks with rabies and that's like three or four stations.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Penn and UVA are playing an advantaged final, Penn with the advantage.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Stats for the tournament can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1169

Quick note: For the teams that were in the playoffs, all of your crossover games from the prelims are also in the playoff reports.
Chris
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

Is there an easy way to compute stats for the whole day?
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

nurgles_herald wrote:Is there an easy way to compute stats for the whole day?
I'm not sure, but if anyone knows/can tell me how to, I will.
Chris
madviking
Lulu

Post by madviking »

Thanks GW for running the tournament and congrats to UPenn A for winning!
Ron Enson, University of Virginia '15
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

There is a private forum intended for the discussion of this tournament. Just apply to join and I'll approve you (assuming you have played the tournament).
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09