2012/13 Northeast US Middle School Date Claims

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

2012/13 Northeast US Middle School Date Claims

Post by Great Bustard »

This calendar is meant to foster the growth of quizbowl at the middle school level in the Northeast US by providing a list of tournament dates for the 2012-2013 school year. If you have information on a middle school tournament in any of the following states or regions, please post in this thread, and a moderator or I will update it here (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV, VA)

September 8:
September 15:
September 22:
September 29:

October 6:
October 13:
October 20:
October 27: Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition (Hackensack NJ; NAQT MS-04)

November 3:
November 10:
November 17:
November 24:

December 1:
December 8:
December 15:
December 22:
December 29:

January 5:
January 12:
January 19:
January 27 (Sunday): Charter Oak Scholastic Open (Darien CT; NAQT MS-05)

February 2:
February 9:
February 16:
February 23:

March 2:
March 9:
March 16:
March 23: Housewritten Middle School Tournament at Ridgewood High School, Ridgewood, NJ (tentative, but likely)
March 30:

April 6:
April 13:
April 19-21:
April 27: MSNCT - Chicago

May 4:
May 11:
May 18:
May 25:

June 1:
June 8:
June 15:
June 22:
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
romeokar
Wakka

Re: 2012/13 Northeast US Middle School Date Claims

Post by romeokar »

Middlesex Middle School in Darien, CT will host the Charter Oak Scholastic Open on Saturday, January 26th. We will plan to use a question packet from NAQT. More information to follow.
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

romeokar wrote:Middlesex Middle School in Darien, CT will host the Charter Oak Scholastic Open on Saturday, January 26th. We will plan to use a question packet from NAQT. More information to follow.
Hi Mr. Romeo,

This is great to hear. I'm currently in charge of Yale's college quizbowl team, and while we're not currently in the middle school hosting game (we do two high school tournaments each year, one in the fall and one in the spring) I'm glad to see middle school quizbowl start sprouting in our area and would be glad to help get it off the ground. I think it will pay real dividends not just for the middle schoolers' enrichment opportunities, but for the continued growth and health of the area's high school game (once these players start moving up to high school teams). Let me know if you need anything from me - I'm willing to help advertise to high school coaches in the area or get you their contact information, so as to get them talking with their feeder middle schools.

Last year, Coach Robert Pirrie of E.O. Smith High School in Storrs ran a small middle school tournament in the northeast of the state; he's a good guy to talk to if you want another helping hand in getting a stronger middle school quizbowl circuit going (perhaps to the point we can get the qualified teams to go to MSNCT, establishing a New England presence there early). He posts here, and you can email him at [email protected].
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
romeokar
Wakka

Post by romeokar »

Dear Mr. Jackson,

Thank you for your offer! Our school year is just beginning, but when it settles down I would love to call you and discuss our tournament. Thank you for your referral; I will contact Coach Pirrie soon.
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I've updated the first post to include Ken's tournament as well as my own (BAJAC 2), for which I will post a thread in the next 48 hours.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Any chance the Ridgewood house write would be available for mirroring?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

the return of AHAN wrote:Any chance the Ridgewood house write would be available for mirroring?
You think the quality will be alright?

Also, Charter will probably hold their middle school tournament sometime in February.
Joe
Delaware
the return of AHAN
Auron

No idea, but I need something or else I'm going to step on someone else's tournament if I claim an NAQT set. :sad:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
romeokar
Wakka

Post by romeokar »

There are many middle school students taking the SATs on January 26th. As a result the Charter Oak Scholastic Open will be moved to Sunday, January 27th.
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Manheim Township High School in Lancaster, PA will be hosting a middle school tournament on Saturday, January 19th on MS-05.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
the return of AHAN
Auron

Doesn't Mannheim usually play Junior NAC?
Jeff Price
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

the return of AHAN wrote:Doesn't Mannheim usually play Junior NAC?
I can only speak for our high school team, but our middle school plays a variety of different question formats. Their league doesn't play QU questions, but they do usually attend NAC with us.

The local league for high school players has switched to NAQT this year though.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School