Slapdash Bayou a Drank at KABO

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Slapdash Bayou a Drank at KABO

Post by Cheynem »

All right, details.

1. I've been talking to the Tulane people and apparently at least 8-9 packets of this will be finished by KABO weekend, and they're amenable to letting me use them.

2. It seems likely, although not 100%, that Michigan will have Sunday rooms for KABO weekend.

3. I would like to play some trash.

So what I'm proposing and inquiring is whether people would be interested in playing this on KABO weekend assuming Sunday rooms are available (keeping in mind that it will probably not be a full 10-12 packet tournament). It can be paired with any remaining side events not used on Saturday, and depending on interest, the field size can be tweaked to avoid something like two three teams of twelve people. Obviously I want to play (although I offered to write a freelance packet), so I would need some staffers and buzzers.

Nothing's set in stone yet, but if this sounds good to you, express some interest

FIELD (should be 6-8 teams, probably capping this at 8 unless we can be guaranteed staff)

Mike Cheyne/Rob Carson/Andrew Hart/The Trevor Davis Show
Scheeler/Teevens/Hayes/Oppenheim
Kyle's Team?
Parks/Hamilton/?/?
Steve Traicoff's Team (may have open spots)

Free Agents: Esser, Dos Remedios, Kathari, Droge?, Westbrook, Freeburn, Garnett, Berend

Staff:
NEEDED
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Re: Slapdash Bayou a Drank at KABO

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Expressing some interest.

Edit: A by "some" I mean quite a bit.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'm all for playing.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I'll play if it's confirmed that this is on Sunday.

EDIT: I am semi-knowledgeable in music, have some knowledge in trash lit and maybe film, and not at all in sports (except tennis), video games, or TV. Pick me if you don't care too much about winning things.
Last edited by Muriel Axon on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I would be very interested in playing this if anyone wanted to pick me up for their team. My strengths are Music > TV > Movies > Sports > Trash Lit (i.e. the longer it takes to consume one unit of the subject, the worse I am at it)
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would like teammates knowledgeable in: music, video games, and non-baseball sports.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote:I would like teammates knowledgeable in: music, video games, and non-baseball sports.
those are things I like
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You don't like hockey!

I'm in for teaming up though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

We'll be here with Team Fire Ferrets: Scheeler, Teevens, Hayes and Oppenheim(?)
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
kylers
Lulu

Post by kylers »

I can probably field a team.
Kyle
Southgate Anderson '03
Michigan-Dearborn '08
Michigan '12
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I could possibly staff or, if I feel like getting no tossups whatsoever, play.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

I'll be playing this with Paul Hamilton and some other DCC people who want to come. If any non- High School people who know sports want a team, we'd love to have to you, because I hardly know the difference between Soccer and Hockey.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I'll be in or around Michigan, and would be willing to absent-mindedly listen to some trash questions.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With the announcement that Sunday events are possible, I will declare this event as on, starting at 10:00 (the earliest possible time the room reservations kick in) in presumably the same place that the main KABO tournament will be (Mason Hall). It will probably either be preceded or followed by my film tournament.

I would say the best field would be like an even yet smallish number of teams: 6-8 would be preferable (some form of round robin and then more games I assume will be the format, this is slapdash trash so just forget about "advantaged final" concerns right now). We will also need a few staffers--hopefully some non trash loving folks will be in the vicinity (and we'll need like 4 tops).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Sara Garnett and I will be coming to this as free agents, thought we don't necessarily have to be on the same team.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

I'm in
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I will be around. Not sure if I'll want to staff after staffing KABO, so I might settle to contribute negative points to some team.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

kdroge wrote:I will be around. Not sure if I'll want to staff after staffing KABO, so I might settle to contribute negative points to some team.
It's you and me against the world, baby!

(I'm totally cool with not getting questions and not winning games, so I think we're pretty well matched.)
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Just to stress again, this is not a full tournament but rather something along the lines of 8-9 packets, which with the later start and the film side event, is probably okay. If anyone wants to write some guerrilla trash packets to pad on to it, I'm certainly down for it. The low number of packets means the field size/format may require some quirks, but we'll handle that I suppose on the fly.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

Cheynem wrote:Just to stress again, this is not a full tournament but rather something along the lines of 8-9 packets, which with the later start and the film side event, is probably okay. If anyone wants to write some guerrilla trash packets to pad on to it, I'm certainly down for it. The low number of packets means the field size/format may require some quirks, but we'll handle that I suppose on the fly.

I wrote a set of 50 (15 movie/ 15 music/ 10 video game/ 5 TV/ 5 other) 8-10 line power-marked questions that not a lot of people have heard if you're interested.
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Yeah, that's a thing wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Just to stress again, this is not a full tournament but rather something along the lines of 8-9 packets, which with the later start and the film side event, is probably okay. If anyone wants to write some guerrilla trash packets to pad on to it, I'm certainly down for it. The low number of packets means the field size/format may require some quirks, but we'll handle that I suppose on the fly.

I wrote a set of 50 (15 movie/ 15 music/ 10 video game/ 5 TV/ 5 other) 8-10 line power-marked questions that not a lot of people have heard if you're interested.
I'm definitely up for that.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, that's a thing wrote:

I'm all for this.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Yeah, that's a thing wrote:I wrote a set of 50 (15 movie/ 15 music/ 10 video game/ 5 TV/ 5 other) 8-10 line power-marked questions that not a lot of people have heard if you're interested.
This works for me.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If you're going to be there Saturday, you can form a team for this then. If you're not going to be there Saturday, it would be nice to lock down a team if you haven't already done so; that way, we'll know to expect you.

Also, again, we will need staff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Just bumped to copy Kurtis' information about time/meeting places from the KABO main thread because I assume it will be the same for Sunday:

"A few details about the tournament:

This is happening on the second floor of Mason Hall. I'm designating room 2437 as the control room for now, though if that room is really small or something we might be in an adjacent room. Parking is available in the Maynard Parking Structure, among many other locations. Registration will start at 9 with games hopefully starting at around 9:30 (if we can't get into the rooms until 10, then we'll wait a half hour, but I'd like to try and get started a little earlier than 10 if possible). There are plenty of nearby options for lunch and I'm sure there are enough people familiar with the area to point you in the right direction."
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

I just got home from KABO early to get to my brother's going away party and after seeing what he and my other brother have planned, don't be surprised if I'm not there on time or even at all tomorrow. Just a heads up.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We played five rounds with six teams with five people each. The standings were something like:

Me/Andrew Hart/Rob Carson/Trevor Davis/Joe Hansen: 5-0
Drew Scheeler/Steve Oppenheim/Matt Hayes/Connor Teevens/Shan Kothari: 4-1
Ryan Westbrook/Matt Lafer/Pat Freeburn/Sara Garnett/Dr. Jerry Vinokurov: 3-2
a Steve Traicoff-led team plus Ike Jose for a round: 2-3
Bryan Berend/Saul Hankin/Bernadette Spencer/Aaron Dos Remedios/somebody I can't remember: 1-4
Collin Parks/Sam Bailey/some other DCC people: 0-5

We declared my team the winner, then played an exhibition game between 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 on packet six--all I know is that Drew's team beat my team on the last question in a game in which almost everything was powered after one line.

We then played another exhibition game on the packet I wrote.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Did anyone keep the scoresheets, or will posterity forever wonder what happened at this tournament?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I had a random assortment of scoresheets but not enough to really do anything with, so I threw them out. Sorry.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota