Board rules and the board staff

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Board rules and the board staff

Post by Important Bird Area »

Answering Jonathan's question from the tone thread. --JTH

The rules about board moderation do not apply to the staff; thus, board staff may shut down discussion threads, tell people to stop posting, set limits for reasonable criticism, etc.

Rules about prohibited content do apply to staff; thus staff may not, for example, post uncleared question content, use profanity in the high school section, or use this forum to promote bigotry or sexual harassment.

I hope that clarifies which sections of the board rules exist to reserve moderation roles for the board moderators and which exist because no one should post certain actions ever. If you have concerns or comments about where the board staff have drawn this line, or how we resolve any particular case, please feel free to contact me or any other staffer by email or private message.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Board rules and the board staff

Post by theMoMA »

Further clarification on the role of the board staff: we occasionally edit posts to make them more readable (i.e. edit out difficult-to-read colors, normalize font sizes, fix broken quotes, pare down links that are very long, remove images, etc.). We might make a note that we edited your post, but if it's a minor thing, we probably won't. We ask that you try to avoid things like, for example, posting in extremely small fonts or using bizarre font colors.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum