Where to Cry "Fraud!"

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Where to Cry "Fraud!"

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

So I've been reading through my team's drafted questions for ACF Fall and through some questions my club has written for fun, and I've noticed a couple of instances (in my questions and in others') where a clue points towards the correct answer in a manner that clearly rewards "real knowledge," but not in the category of the question.

For example, take a painting question on a mythological subject: is it necessary to separate a player's knowledge of the myth in question from a player's knowledge of the work of art. And if so, how does a writer accomplish this without resorting to difficulty cliffs and abstract clues that are much harder to follow?

Or, should a writer choose to not write about such topics, pre-empting the problem in the first place?

Long story short, is frauding also a problem within the academic subjects, and should writers try to head off that possibility by discriminating choice of answerlines? What's the conventional wisdom on this? Thanks
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Auroni
Auron

Re: Where to Cry "Fraud!"

Post by Auroni »

It is always acceptable to use academic clues in academic questions.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Tokyo Sex Whale wrote:It is always acceptable to use academic clues in academic questions.
True, but that doesn't entirely answer the question, because it relies on a presupposed idea of academic clues that you don't elucidate and that the poster is confused about.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur wrote:So I've been reading through my team's drafted questions for ACF Fall and through some questions my club has written for fun, and I've noticed a couple of instances (in my questions and in others') where a clue points towards the correct answer in a manner that clearly rewards "real knowledge," but not in the category of the question.

For example, take a painting question on a mythological subject: is it necessary to separate a player's knowledge of the myth in question from a player's knowledge of the work of art. And if so, how does a writer accomplish this without resorting to difficulty cliffs and abstract clues that are much harder to follow?
It's inevitable that if you mention a figure holding a head people are going to go for something involving Judith/Holofernes or Perseus/Medusa, rather than, I don't know, Kali/Horus, because two of those happened and one isn't even possible. In Renaissance painting, there are also kind of standard scenes that are painted, it's my understanding. So it's even tougher--not even character combinations but entire events are easily "betrayed" in that manner. They're all valuable academic clues and legitimate ways to approach the art--some of my old myth books had the Cellini Perseus/Medusa in them.

Frauding is a problem in academic subjects--it's best not to drop a lot of Finnish-sounding names early, or whatever--but the fact that the world is more cross-disciplinary than quizbowl categorizes it to be isn't a problem. After all, our distribution is arbitrary. Much as NAQT groups lit and myth, what if ACF-2 were to group all the humanities together as a top-level category? Then it would be far less a crime, just because of renumbering.
Andrew Watkins
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

If Andy Watkins Buzzes.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:If Andy Watkins Buzzes.
Hey, he just wanted to have real knowledge of the questions.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo