Michigan 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Michigan 2012-2013

Post by Muriel Axon »

So guys. Michigan. Discuss things here.

Over the summer, University of Michigan will be having open Wednesday practices, 7:30-9:30 at Room 4002 of the Michigan Union. Everyone is invited, including high schoolers, and I presume they won't be reading ridiculously hard things, so it should be fun.

As for competitions over the coming year: I presume that Michigan State will be hosting its annual Rube Goldberg Invitational in early spring semester. We will also be hosting a housewrite (with Delaware) in the fall. We still have yet to talk to University of Michigan about who will be doing NAQT States, but we'll figure it out. It's likely that we'll be hosting other tournaments, but I personally don't know for certain. Also, the MSU Honors College will presumably be hosting its state competition, which we will try to ensure is no longer KMO. White Cloud emailed us to let us know that White Cloud Invitational is scheduled for October 13.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Re: Michigan 2012-2013

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Michigan State will be hosting a fall tournament (likely on October 20 or November 10, although we could do October 6 if there's a major reason for us to) using our housewrite. We will also be hosting Rube Goldberg, likely on the same weekend as last year in late January, and March Madness, in...March, both likely on IS Sets. We will be bidding to host the NAQT State championship. We may reprise our middle school tournament from last year; I'm not sure yet.

I assume that UM will be hosting Autumn Classic again in early December or some time around then. In addition to the aforementioned White Cloud tournament on October 13, Holland's running one on November 17. I don't know what sets either of those will use.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Walnut Hills High School '11
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

White Cloud has been running a tournament since forever and usually attracts an excellent, frequently statewide field. Has anyone tried to reach out to them/their coach?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

What do you mean by "reach out to them"? I don't think they've qualified for HSNCT since 2010, but they play good tournaments, including 2012 March Madness.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

White Cloud did qualify for the 2012 HSNCT (t-5th in the 38-team field at Tippecanoe), but were unable to attend.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

It's sort of odd how it seems like White Cloud sends more teams to out of state tournaments than ones in Michigan.

I think the past two years they have the reputation as the team that traveled the farthest to come to Tippecanoe, and I can't speak to their team caliber but they got in playoff contention there because their bracket didn't have any teams that play quiz bowl outside of the TAC or their conference (the other two brackets were much harder).
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Cheynem wrote:White Cloud has been running a tournament since forever and usually attracts an excellent, frequently statewide field. Has anyone tried to reach out to them/their coach?
Echoing others, but not really sure why anyone would need to reach out to White Cloud. They show up to almost everything (and are easy to get in contact with), which is fantastic considering how far they have to travel compared to most teams in the Michigan circuit.

Seven posts into the Michigan thread and only teams from the west side of the state have been mentioned. Never would have guessed that. Well, I'll get the ball rolling. Who does CC bring back, and who can challenge them?
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

DCC's A team returns only Brandon Roach, and they bring up Collin Parks and, I think, Matt Karabajakian from their B team. I'm not sure who they plan on having as their fourth, and I might be mistaken about Matt. Regardless, they'll still be very strong, although I'd be surprised if they continued their tradition of not losing to any Michigan teams that aren't themselves. DCD loses John but brings back Siddhant, and while he alone will be dangerous to the majority of teams, I don't think he'll be able to consistently beat DCC unless his teammates can contribute more. The team that I think will be better than people expect is Troy - they made the playoffs at the HSNCT without their best player, and are returning everyone except one person from that team. If they're able to work over the summer I think they'll be able to surprise people and have the potential to beat either of the above teams, although of course the DCC people will study a lot before the season starts. While I think those three teams will be at the top in some order, Skyline will also be pretty good. They lost Priya, but, to my knowledge, Sarah is coming back.

Beyond those, Holland's coach told me that their entire team from last year graduated, along with Ben Peck from UD. I'm not sure, but I think that Adam from Truman also graduated. I don't know anything about the people on Okemos, but if they're able to get to more tournaments they could be pretty strong. I know that Roxanne from Grosse Pointe North graduated and is going to Michigan, but I don't know about Michael. I have no idea about any of the people from Utica. I believe that most of the people from Northville graduated, and I'm not sure if they'll get the institutional support they need to stay active next year. I also don't know about Novi.

I guess, in sum, there are three teams that I expect to be at the top of most tournaments this year, with several others that will likely be a step below, but I could be mistaken about graduation statuses from last year.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

I'm on a phone right now, so I'll make a more complete post later, but I think DCC's fourth is Paul Hamilton, who's a really good art player. While I don't think they'll be as good as this year's team, which was especially incredible at NAQT, they're still easily the favorites to win any Michigan tournament.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

By "reach out," I mean, try to get them to perhaps use their tournament (which I think is NAQT now--when I was a lad, it was bad questions) as a way to perhaps promote other tournaments/good quizbowl. There are so few teams (truly) on board with good quizbowl on the west side of the state--White Cloud could be a good way to reach others.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

From what I remember people saying, White Cloud's tournament is still speed check, and they don't appear to have hosted any NAQT tournaments.
Sid Dogra
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

(Double post wooo)

With respect to actual competition next year, I agree with basically all of what Joe said. We lose Ethan and John, but return myself and Sid Chand. John's knew the most geography and current events of anyone on our team, while Ethan knew a lot of real science and was our best (non sports) trash player. As a result, we'll probably be even worse at those parts of the NAQT distro than we usually are, which isn't good. Sid Chand has a lot of real knowledge, especially chem in particular - he made IChO! I've been trying to get a couple other people to study, but I don't know how much effort they'll put in. I think we'll probably put up about the same stats on NAQT questions as we did this year, but we'll be substantially better on HSAPQ or a typical housewrite, if we ever get to play one of those.

DCC A will be scary like they usually are, although, like I said above, I don't think they'll be as good at NAQT as this past year's team. Then again, very few teams in the country have a chance to be as good as DCC was this year. Brandon Roach is one of the best science players in the country, Collin's good at history and will undoubtedly get a lot better, and their other players should improve a lot by the fall as well. Troy scares me too; making the HSNCT playoffs without their best player was really impressive. The only question I have about Troy is whether their full team will show up at a tournament before NAQT states. If they're at full strength, I'd say Troy is a top 3 team.

I don't really know about the effect graduation will have on the other teams in the state; I think Utica loses at least their top player, U of D loses at least Ben Peck, Troy loses Sandeep, GPN loses at least Roxanne, Skyline loses at least Priya, but all of those teams should be decent next year. I don't have a clue about what Novi or DCC B will look like next year, but I'll assume they'll be good too.
Sid Dogra
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Seram Friarbird wrote:but we'll be substantially better on HSAPQ or a typical housewrite, if we ever get to play one of those.
Well, you'll obviously get to play our housewrite (assuming you guys show up), and to be specific about MSU Honors College states (aka "Bad States"), we're hoping to get it switched to HSAPQ.

I expect Skyline to get substantially better, if not this year, at least over the next few. They're a young school with a young and apparently enthusiastic coach, so if they manage to develop a real quiz bowl culture, they might become a consistently top-5 school.

Now that I understand what Mike is saying, I think he's right that the Grand Rapids area really needs to be introduced to good quiz bowl, and that we might be able to convince White Cloud to act as a conduit for that. Are they in the grips of some bad quiz bowl league, or is there just not much quiz bowl at all there?
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The western Michigan circuit was pretty lively when I was in high school--there were (presumably still are) various leagues and a lot of local tournaments, but mostly just speedcheck or bad questions. I hate to exhort others to do work, but since I don't live in this state on a long term basis, I think it would be a good idea for MSU or even U of M to hit up a lot of these West Michigan schools to promote better options (or at least if there isn't one available, begin compiling more of a contact list).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Here's the DL on DCC A:

Brandon Roach is Brandon Roach. He'll be our best player next year. He has a ton of experience, he's level headed, and he doesn't back down when facing the best teams. People have already mentioned his prodigious science knowledge but he's picking up geography, and I'm working with him on getting good at that. He can be a 60+ ppg guy consistently next year if he wants to be.
Collin Parks will probably be on the A team as well, unless some underclassmen get really, really good. He's good at Ancient History and Euro, but he needs to work hard on American History and other random history to become a complete player. He needs to help cover the Geo and CE holes in next year's team. I have a lot of faith in his ability against the top teams as well.
Paul Hamilton, a phenomenal fine arts player, will start on the A team and I think he's picking up all things nonfic (philosophy, anthro, psych, etc). He'll be one of the best fine arts players in the country next year, if not the best.
Mark Karabajakian will be the A team lit player next year, but literature may be DCC A's achilles heel next season. Mark's improvement in lit will determine how far next year's team goes at nationals.

I think next year's DCC A will finish in the top ten at nationals. They have the potential to not only repeat 2012's second place HSNCT finish but also finish a spot higher.

I'd project DCC B to finish 5-5 at HSNCT or 6-4 if they get a good schedule; it all depends on how much work the underclassmen put in. Watch out for guys like Jack Watts, who will most likely be the B team science player next year. The other three spots on next year's B team are up for grabs.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Bobby's comments were pretty good, but I'll throw in my two cents about our team from the perspective of a person on it.

The A team, like Bobby said, will be myself, Paul Hamilton, Brandon Roach, and Mark Karabajakian. Roach is Roach, no surprises there. Paul, if anyone, is going to be the most surprising addition to DCC's presence on the national circuit. Paul is really, really, really good at Art, and under the guidance of Connor Teevens, will only get better. I'm willing to go as far as to say Paul will be the best high school art player in the country next year. Paul, has also been learning RMP at a rate I though impossible. I will be covering history for the A team, and as Bobby said, I'm very good at Ancient, European, and World, but American history is a large hole for me, that is getting covered very quickly. Brandon and I are tordesillas- like splitting geo, so that'll get covered quickly. We are joined by Mark Karabajakian. I wouldn't go as far as to say he'll be our Achilles heel, but on non-NAQT lit, he struggles, so his work at that will really determine our ability. Mark is still good however, and he'll do well.

As a whole, I think we won't be as strong as last years team, considering the sheer strength of last years team. However, we can, if things go our way, improve on it. Mark Paul and I have formed a trumvirate of sorts as DCC's B team, We have been able to play very good teams closely this year, usually without a shred of science knowledge, so adding Roach to our team will do a lot.

On other teams, Sid from DCD is very very good. He loses a lot of his support staff, but he was always top scorer in Michigan, so he'll be dangerous for anyone in Michigan.

Troy was a huge surprise last year. They improved a lot throughout the year, and we lost to them at the end of the year at NAQT states, if they return their people as others have said, and they continue to improve at the rate they did last year, they can assuredly become a top 30 ish team nationally.

Skyline was very good too, and they always played us close. If they keep getting better, they can be very good nationally as well.

I think it'd be cool if we sent a team to NASAT this year. Finally, someone should mirror something like LIST next year. Anything non-NAQT in Michigan would be awesome.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If you want to send a team to NASAT, and won't be working through a state organization or some such, begin to plan the logistics NOW as much as possible. Have some idea if you want the team chosen by a tryout, a committee of coaches, etc. Begin to scout out host schools (we do ours at U of I, and the Academic Buzzer Team helps out by moderating and doing a lot of the leg work). Would love to see a Michigan team there next year!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

I would have no objection to running NASAT tryouts after one of our tournaments, either in the evening or on Sunday. It would be a good idea, though, to publicly announce in advance who will be choosing the team - I'd gladly be one person on a committee, but it would be a good idea to involve people from a variety of backgrounds.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Plan Rubber wrote:but it would be a good idea to involve people from a variety of backgrounds.
I'm not sure how you mean this, but be careful here. We started with a very large selection committee (15-20 people) and this backfired on a couple of occasions; for the past several years we've had a committee of 7-8. I would also be hesitant to appoint someone not familiar with good quizbowl nor the top players in the state.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

David Riley wrote:
Plan Rubber wrote:but it would be a good idea to involve people from a variety of backgrounds.
I'm not sure how you mean this, but be careful here. We started with a very large selection committee (15-20 people) and this backfired on a couple of occasions; for the past several years we've had a committee of 7-8. I would also be hesitant to appoint someone not familiar with good quizbowl nor the top players in the state.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I mainly just wanted to avoid trying to claim sole responsibility either for me personally or for the MSU team. Having a group of people on that scale that included us, people from UM, and perhaps prominent coaches or whoever was going to act as the team's chaperone would be a good way to try to make sure everybody's on the same page and minimize potential conflicts of interest.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I also strongly suggest running a tournament whose sole purpose is to raise money for the NASAT team, since you have no obvious income source for this. If states could establish one event to be dedicated to helping a NASAT team and get some volunteers together to staff it, it would probably make it a lot easier for a lot of teams to go. In Missouri we use the profits from NAQT state towards that, for instance. I believe Georgia did that as well last year (possibly this year?), and theirs was organized by a student on the team.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

I suppose for tournaments you can throw DCCAT 2 on there, which if I remember correctly, our coach mentioned about running in the fall. It's will now be written under the guidance of Connor Teevens and Ryan Dillon, both of whom are very good question writers, so it should be good this time around.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

something ambiguous wrote:It's will now be written under the guidance of Connor Teevens and Ryan Dillon [...]
I don't know what you mean by "under the guidance of," but if they're editing this thing, you might want a third person to act solely as difficulty cop.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote:
something ambiguous wrote:It's will now be written under the guidance of Connor Teevens and Ryan Dillon [...]
I don't know what you mean by "under the guidance of," but if they're editing this thing, you might want a third person to act solely as difficulty cop.
He's trying to say that Ryan and Connor are indeed editing and doing the difficulty cop.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I'll shamelessly add here that OSU will hold our annual HSAPQ tournament on January 19th and if the Ohio calendar works out, will probably host some non-NAQT tournament in the spring. Columbus is within 4 hours of the Detroit-Novi area, and we'd love to see more Michigan teams at our tournaments. DCC came to two last year and seemed to have a good time.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

DrCongo wrote:
The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote:
He's trying to say that Ryan and Connor are indeed editing and doing the difficulty cop.
Yeah, I got that. I was making a not-so-subtle swipe at Connor, which is okay because we're pals.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Inkana7 wrote:I'll shamelessly add here that OSU will hold our annual HSAPQ tournament on January 19th and if the Ohio calendar works out, will probably host some non-NAQT tournament in the spring. Columbus is within 4 hours of the Detroit-Novi area, and we'd love to see more Michigan teams at our tournaments. DCC came to two last year and seemed to have a good time.
OSU's tournaments are always fun and run efficiently. Other Michigan teams should definitely go down.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Update on practices at U of M - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13013&p=245428#p245428
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
jgalea84
Lulu

Post by jgalea84 »

Olmsted Falls, Ohio will be hosting our annual NAQT tournament the first weekend of February, 2013—Olmsted Falls is near Cleveland Hopkins Int'l Airport and is 2.5-3 hours from metro Detroit. Solon, Ohio will likely host a two-day tournament also in February or March—Solon is just to the southeast of Cleveland and is about 3 hours from Detroit. We've gotten some good reviews for our tournament and I can attest that Solon does a nice job with theirs, and we usually have pretty competitive fields. It's always fun to get Michigan teams down at Ohio tournaments and I'm hoping we'll get multiple Michigan teams this year.
Joe Galea, Assistant Coach, Olmsted Falls HS, Olmsted Falls, Ohio.
Detroit Catholic Central '02
University of Florida, BA
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD
2001 NAQT National Champions
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I would still prefer to run NHBB's Michigan tournament at DCC; I hope to have an update on that as soon as the school year begins.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
nishk
Kimahri

Post by nishk »

Is there any new information about Quiz Bowl this year? This thread seems dead... Any news on the Autumn Classic or other Michigan tournaments coming up soon-ish?
Nishant Kheterpal
Skyline High School '15

"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Autumn Classic's announcement went up yesterday.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

nishk wrote:Is there any new information about Quiz Bowl this year? This thread seems dead... Any news on the Autumn Classic or other Michigan tournaments coming up soon-ish?
Hi, we're hosting a tournament at MSU on October 20th. The announcement with full information is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13482. We're approaching our field cap, so I'd encourage you to sign up soon if you're interested.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
nishk
Kimahri

Post by nishk »

For anybody interested or still checking this thread: DCC is hosting a novice tournament on December 8. As I'm not a DCC player or anything, I just wanted to put this out there as a PSA.

Link is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13666
Nishant Kheterpal
Skyline High School '15

"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB Michigan is now set for February 9 at DCC. It will be played on our B set, as it was last year. Hope your team can join us!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
CGismondiCC
Wakka

Post by CGismondiCC »

Academic Team Coaches:
It is my pleasure to announce the Detroit Catholic Central Novice Tournament which will be held Saturday, December 8th, 2012 at Detroit Catholic Central High School’s campus located at 27225 Wixom Road, Novi, MI, 48374.

The tournament will be using the SCOP Novice set. Information about the set can be found at the following location: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=13243. The questions are intended for novice players, meaning only freshman and sophomore players are eligible to compete.

Each game will feature two halves with ten questions. Tournament bracketing and playoff format will be determined once a clearer picture of the size of the field is obtained.

The fee structure is as follows:
• $70 cost per team
• $10 discount per buzzer (limit 2)
• $10 discount for teams travelling 100 miles or more for the tournament (one way)

Please make all checks payable to Catholic Central Academic Team, 27225, Wixom Road, Novi, MI, 48374.

We look forward to your attendance at our tournament. Tournament registration can be made by emailing me at [email protected]. Please also feel free to email me with any questions at the same email address.

Registration opens at 8:00 A.M. until 8:30 A.M. followed by a brief meeting for coaches and player. We expect to begin play promptly at 9:00A.M.
Christopher J. Gismondi, Detroit Catholic Catholic Central Head Coach
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

We (University of Michigan) are thinking of hosting a mirror of LIST on 2/16. I'm not aware of any other tournaments on that day, but I wanted to confirm that that was the case (and that teams would be interested in showing up).
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
rhonnasmith
Lulu

Post by rhonnasmith »

Solon High School does their NAQT tournament the weekend of February 16. They do a PACE tournament on Sunday, February 17. Having the tournament on LIST that weekend would probably eliminate those that schedule the two day trip. It is an annual event.
I know that in the past DCC, Culver, Northmont, Olmsted Falls, and others have competed at this weekend tournament.
Just an FYI.
Rhonna M. Smith
Olmsted Falls High School, Ohio
Academic Team Coach (2007-present)
Elyria Catholic High School '74
B.A. '91 Baldwin Wallace College
M.A. '97 Ashland University
M.A. '07 Baldwin Wallace College
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

rhonnasmith wrote:Solon High School does their NAQT tournament the weekend of February 16. They do a PACE tournament on Sunday, February 17. Having the tournament on LIST that weekend would probably eliminate those that schedule the two day trip. It is an annual event.
I know that in the past DCC, Culver, Northmont, Olmsted Falls, and others have competed at this weekend tournament.
Just an FYI.
I (obviously) do not know too much about the circuit here, but it appears DCC is already planning to go to a different mirror of GSAC; there is also a LIST mirror lined up in Ohio in April, which Northmont is signed up for (and Olmsted Falls should totally go to too! :grin: )
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

If people aren't aware, we're planning on running some kind of NASAT tryouts after Rube. We're currently looking at Saturday evening, but we could probably move to Sunday if the majority of potential attendees would prefer this. We'll be using the tossups from Pennance. All current high schoolers from Michigan are welcome to attend. Send us an E-mail at [email protected] if you're interested or have an opinion on the time.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

There's a good chance that Illinois will also be using the penance set for their NASAT tryout. Please tell your attendees not to discuss the questions afterward until cleared by Penn. Thanks!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

We'll be hosting NAQT states on April 6, in addition to March Madness on March 16. Full announcements for these will come later.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

After reviewing the tryout scores and consulting with various people knowledgeable in Michigan quizbowl, we've decided on four people to represent Michigan at the National All-Star Academic Tournament. I was quite impressed with the quality of play during tryouts, and encourage everyone who isn't graduating to try out again next year. MSU and the University of Michigan will also be collaborating to assist the team with funding the trip; the details of this will be discussed with team members at a later date.

The 2013 Team Michigan is:
Sid Dogra
Paul Hamilton
Collin Parks
Brandon Roach
Last edited by Steeve Ho You Fat on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not sure how this team is envisioning travel and coaching/chaperone arrangements. I'll probably be able to participate in some vein if needed.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

I'm pleased to say that the State Championship hosted by the MSU Honors College will be obtaining questions from HSAPQ for this year's question. I hope that these questions provide a more enjoyable experience and fair competition for all teams. I'd also like to thank Matt Weiner from HSAPQ and Bess German and Samino Scott from the MSU Honors College for being flexible to make this happen.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Plan Rubber wrote:I'm pleased to say that the State Championship hosted by the MSU Honors College will be obtaining questions from HSAPQ for this year's question. I hope that these questions provide a more enjoyable experience and fair competition for all teams. I'd also like to thank Matt Weiner from HSAPQ and Bess German and Samino Scott from the MSU Honors College for being flexible to make this happen.
Do you know if it is going to be on a unique HSAPQ set or on HT-32/33?
Collin Parks

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The set is being prepared based on questions also used this year for VHSL and OAC competitions. No teams from Michigan have previously played any of the questions.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org