2013 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations LASA!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2013 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations LASA!

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2013 High School National Championship Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta hotel on Memorial Day weekend, May 24-26, 2013.

The field for the tournament is limited to 256 teams.
Full details

Current field
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: 2013 NAQT HSNCT: May 25-26, Atlanta

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Is there a chance of this tournament expanding to 256 teams as I heard some talking about last month?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Important Bird Area

Yes, there is some chance of expanding the field, but we will start with a 240-team base.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Does NAQT plan to post the results of the surveys teams filled out with regards to "where would you like to see HSNCT 2013 played?" (or have they already, and I'm just that naive?).
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Important Bird Area

We will post the survey results once they are compiled; and, yes, location change is on the table for the 2014 HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Down and out in Quintana Roo wrote:Is there a chance of this tournament expanding to 256 teams as I heard some talking about last month?
Is 256 really a magic number for the card system? I don't know enough about the math behind it all, but doesn't the fact that you have to have a large percentage of the field on bye every game mean that you aren't actually working with a pure 256-team power matching? If so, that would mean 256 is no more special than most other numbers the HSNCT might use I would think.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Horned Screamer wrote:
Down and out in Quintana Roo wrote:Is there a chance of this tournament expanding to 256 teams as I heard some talking about last month?
Is 256 really a magic number for the card system? I don't know enough about the math behind it all, but doesn't the fact that you have to have a large percentage of the field on bye every game mean that you aren't actually working with a pure 256-team power matching? If so, that would mean 256 is no more special than most other numbers the HSNCT might use I would think.
Certainly, I don't think it has to mean that. The proportion of x-y teams on bye each round can be calibrated so that only x-y vs x-y matches happen until after round 6, at which point that guarantee fades. For 240, the guarantee (if not the possibility, I guess) fades after round 4.
Andrew Watkins
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

256 is in fact a magic number. The byes don't impact who plays who. With 256 teams, every team would be guaranteed to play each of their first eight matches against a team with an identical record, and at least 236 teams would play each of their ten matches against a team with an identical record.

Just to be clear, the actual number of teams without mismatches would be very close to 236, and there is a very reasonable chance it would be exactly 236. Also, no teams would start the day with a guarantee of no mismatches--the statistic means that at the end of the day at most 20 teams would have played mismatches. The maximum number of mismatches for those teams would be 2, and unfortunately the teams with 2 mismatches would play them in the same direction.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

As noted above, the byes are basically irrelevant. This year with 240 teams and 80 rooms, the 15 round prelims could be split into blocks of 3. During rounds 1-3, all teams played two games. A third played 1-2, a third played 1-3, a third played 2-3. Given infinite space, that could have been 120 round 1 games and 120 round 2 games. I don't exactly know how a 256-team tournament would split up, but a similar idea of having everyone's first game, then everyone's second game, and so on with overlaps in the actual time at which they occurred wouldn't be a problem.

The fact that a team which plays two mismatches plays them in the same direction is unavoidable. Obviously the team that goes 8-0 will play a mismatch in their ninth game, and if they win they'll play another in the tenth round. Because 256 = 2^8, all games for the first eight rounds are equal matches, and it's not possible for a team to play up in their ninth game and down in their tenth or vice versa (such a combination would leave open the possibility of a two-step mismatch were the team's ninth game be reversed).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

A 256-team tournament can in theory be run with the following considerations (as in, the math works out, but I haven't checked an entire card system):

LOGISTICS:
-Each team plays 10 games in 16 rounds.
-The number of prelim rooms remains the same as 2012.
-Somewhere between 95 and 98 teams make the playoffs. Of those, 43 to 45 start in the winner's bracket.
-The number of playoff rounds remains the same as 2012.

UNEVEN-RECORD GAMES:
-4 teams play exactly 1 game against a team that may not have the same record; 16 play 2 such games.
-In only 2 games could a team be eliminated from playoff contention by losing to a team with a stronger record (Round 15: 5-3 vs. 4-4; Round 16: loser of Round 14 6-2 vs. 5-3 game vs. winner of aforementioned game).
-In only 3 games could a team be eliminated from playoff contention by losing to a team already eliminated from the playoffs (Round 15: 4-4 vs. 3-5; Round 16: 5-4 vs. winner of aforementioned game; Round 16: loser of Round 15 5-3 vs. 4-4 vs. 4-5).
-In only 2 games (all of which already mentioned above) can a team be guaranteed to make the playoffs by defeating a team with a lower record.
-In only 1 game (Round 16: 7-2 or 6-3 vs. 7-2 or 6-3) can a team lose a starting place in the winner's bracket by losing to a team with a better record. Similarly, in only 1 game (2 6-3 or 5-4 teams playing, already mentioned above) can a team gain a starting place in the winner's bracket by defeating a team with a worse record.
-Thus, a maximum of 8 teams could possibly be affected, in terms of whether or not they make the playoffs and whether they start in the winner's or loser's bracket (10 teams in total are affected by these games, but 1 starts at 7-1 guaranteed winner's bracket and 1 starts at 3-5 guaranteed to miss playoffs), by having to play games involving teams with unequal records.

I'm not sure how many unequal matches there were in 2012 but I'm guessing that there were more than 20 and that more than 8 teams were in the "possibly affected" zone.

Essentially, the tradeoff is:
-1 additional packet
-No additional staffers (possibly a small number more staffers depending on how many teams send staffers and how many control rooms end up being needed)
-Potentially some amount of logistical hassle making sure bidding hotels have enough room for the extra teams

For 16 extra teams.

From a monetary standpoint, NAQT makes somewhere around $7500 more. From a participation standpoint, that's 16 more teams that get to play. If NAQT can find another 48 questions out there, expanding to 256 teams basically a win-win for everyone.
Last edited by cvdwightw on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Important Bird Area

cvdwightw wrote:If NAQT can find another 48 questions out there, expanding to 256 teams basically a win-win for everyone.
The extra packet is no problem (notably: the 2011 HSNCT ran 16 rounds on Saturday). Whether the 2013 HSNCT has a 240-team or 256-team field will depend on the level of interest from teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

bt_green_warbler wrote:We will post the survey results once they are compiled; and, yes, location change is on the table for the 2014 HSNCT.
Are they compiled yet?
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Important Bird Area

Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:We will post the survey results once they are compiled; and, yes, location change is on the table for the 2014 HSNCT.
Are they compiled yet?
Not yet; we expect to have the final results within the next few weeks.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

conquerer7
Lulu

Post by conquerer7 »

A question about qualification: if we want to send 3 teams, does that mean we need all three of them in the top 15% in one tournament? Can A/B qualify in one tournament, and A/C qualify in another? Do you track anything about a school besides the number of teams qualified?

There's a good chance we'll end up with A/B and A/C qualification, and having to choose only one of them to go would be awkward.
Kevin Zhou
High Technology High School '13 (Co-Captain)
Important Bird Area

conquerer7 wrote:A question about qualification: if we want to send 3 teams, does that mean we need all three of them in the top 15% in one tournament?
Yes, all teams that qualify must do so at the same tournament. Additional teams are welcome (and encouraged) to apply for wildcard bids.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

conquerer7 wrote:A question about qualification: if we want to send 3 teams, does that mean we need all three of them in the top 15% in one tournament? Can A/B qualify in one tournament, and A/C qualify in another? Do you track anything about a school besides the number of teams qualified?

There's a good chance we'll end up with A/B and A/C qualification, and having to choose only one of them to go would be awkward.
Keep in mind that schools qualify for HSNCT, not players. It isn't so much that the "A" and "C" teams qualified at X tournament, but that your school qualified two teams. Any students from any of your teams may go to HSNCT from that.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

Registration is now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:
Are they compiled yet?
Not yet; we expect to have the final results within the next few weeks.
Where can we find this?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Important Bird Area

I don't think those have been posted; I just asked R. for a status update.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Wildcard applications for the 2013 HSNCT are now open. To apply, please send a summary of your team's accomplishments this year to hsnct [at] naqt.com.

If you would like to add a team to the standby list for the 2013 HSNCT, please contact us at hsnct [at] naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:Counting berths reserved for state champions, there are only 12 remaining spots in the 2013 High School National Championship Tournament field for teams that qualified during the regular season. It is true that many reserved berths will go to teams that had already registered (and some teams may have to drop out), but teams interested in attending the tournament should be looking at registering sooner rather than later as the field is filling up fast.
Current field

Qualified teams should register here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

We passed 200 registered teams today. Qualified teams interested in attending should register here as soon as possible.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Current field page wrote:219 teams have confirmed spots in this tournament.
The field is capped at 240 teams. 42 spots are being reserved for teams from specific qualifying events.
If 42 of the 240 spots are still reserved, wouldn't that mean at most 198 teams could have confirmed spots in the tournament at this point?
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Important Bird Area

No; we build in a buffer because we expect many of those state championship bids will be claimed by teams already in the field.

That being said, we are very near to closing the field and starting a waitlist. Teams that wish to confirm a spot in the 2013 HSNCT should register here immediately.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

I am pleased to report that the field for the 2013 HSNCT has been expanded to 256 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

NAQT has temporarily closed the field for its 2013 High School National Championship Tournament pending the results of state championships with reserved berths. Teams with reserved berths may still register, but those with "normal" invitations are being placed on a first-come, first-served waitlist.

Current waitlist
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The Hyatt Regency Atlanta is now sold out of double rooms for HSNCT weekend. We plan to announce a nearby overflow hotel in the near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Is 256 the number, or is there discussion of further expansion?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

The 2013 HSNCT will remain at 256 teams. (Further field expansion is not viable for current numbers of game rooms/staff/packets.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Horned Screamer wrote:Is 256 the number, or is there discussion of further expansion?
Do people really want the HSNCT field to be infinitely expansive? I worry that if the HSNCT keeps expanding every year, it will eventually become completely unmanageable. Frankly, 256 is pretty gigantic and I don't think the HSNCT ever really needs to expand past that number.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

RyuAqua wrote:256 is pretty gigantic and I don't think the HSNCT ever really needs to expand past that number.
Optimistically, could we not hope that every state would have at least 6 schools with at least one nationals-caliber team some time in the future?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Important Bird Area

RyuAqua wrote:
Horned Screamer wrote:Is 256 the number, or is there discussion of further expansion?
Do people really want the HSNCT field to be infinitely expansive? I worry that if the HSNCT keeps expanding every year, it will eventually become completely unmanageable. Frankly, 256 is pretty gigantic and I don't think the HSNCT ever really needs to expand past that number.
It's clear that there is demand for a national tournament larger than 256 teams. NAQT plans to have internal discussion this summer about how to manage potential future field expansion beyond 256 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2013 NAQT HSNCT is now full. There are currently (as of April 30th) twelve teams on the waitlist.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Slightly off topic, but I am planning on running a few times while in Atlanta. Nothing too crazy, maybe a few miles every day. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

itsthatoneguy wrote:Slightly off topic, but I am planning on running a few times while in Atlanta. Nothing too crazy, maybe a few miles every day. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.
Outside the hotel? Your best bet is to stay on streets marked NE or NW.
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Kechara wrote:
itsthatoneguy wrote:Slightly off topic, but I am planning on running a few times while in Atlanta. Nothing too crazy, maybe a few miles every day. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.
Outside the hotel? Your best bet is to stay on streets marked NE or NW.
Thanks. Last year we just went to that park with the large fountain in the middle, and that seemed fine.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Centennial Olympic Park?
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant wrote:Centennial Olympic Park?
Yes, that would be Centennial Olympic Park
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

If you want to run through a park, I would recommend going to Piedmont Park or the nearby Beltline Trail. There's also a running/bike trail that starts in the Centennial Park area and heads towards Stone Mountain that's fairly nice.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Hello,
Mr. Hoppes:
I will be a first time participant at this year's HSNCT. I have one question. Will you post schedules and matchups for the preliminary rounds? If so, when will these the posted?
Thanks.
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

intheshadowofgreatness wrote:Hello,
Mr. Hoppes:
I will be a first time participant at this year's HSNCT. I have one question. Will you post schedules and matchups for the preliminary rounds? If so, when will these the posted?
Thanks.
I'm notably not Mr. Hoppes, but I know I've never known NAQT to reveal first round match-ups in advance of the start of the tournament. Moreover, no one knows who your subsequent matches are against since they use a card system where your next match pairs you with someone with a similar or equal record, as explained upthread. Have fun!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area

intheshadowofgreatness wrote:Hello,
Mr. Hoppes:
Thanks.
The schedule is here. As Coach Price mentioned, HSNCT uses a card system that matches teams based on their results within the tournament on Saturday, so it is not possible to post matchups in advance of the tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Thanks for explaining.
Also, I just realized that I sounded like a third grader in that post.
Jesse Bennett
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Out of curiosity, what determines a team's first opponent? (I apologize if I am asking too many questions about the secret inner workings of NAQT.)
Jesse Bennett
Important Bird Area

The field is seeded 1 to 256 and then divided into groups of 16 teams. Each 16-team group plays its first four rounds within the group (after every team has completed four rounds of play, the group will contain one 4-0 team, four 3-1 teams, six 2-2 teams, four 1-3 teams, and one 0-4 team). Then those records are used to pair up the teams across groups for the fifth round of play, etc.

This thread from the 2011 HSNCT may be of interest. (The system is still the same, although the precise numbers of teams have now changed.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Ryan Liu and I will be running the blog/liveblog this year. Let us know if you have any suggestions for this iteration of the liveblog.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'm not familiar with Ryan Liu; Ryan, if you're reading this, would you mind introducing yourself?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Can anyone give me statistics on how many stand-by teams generally end up playing? We've got our "B" team at #1 on standby. I've told them that I'm about 99% sure they'll get to play. Has there ever been a year in which no standby teams were used?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area

Last year 11 teams that were on the standby list on May 20th played HSNCT.

This year we expect to need fewer standby teams; note that there is still an eight-team waitlist to enter the field.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

huff paste wrote:Ryan Liu and I will be running the blog/liveblog this year. Let us know if you have any suggestions for this iteration of the liveblog.

Harry, I also have CoverItLive set up for the event itself. Email me if you'd like the information ahead of time or I can just get it to you Friday in Atlanta.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics