PACE NSC All-Star Team and Game

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

PACE NSC All-Star Team and Game

Post by Matt Weiner »

This year, the all-stars will be determined as follows:

1) The top 4 scorers by PPG in the prelims.
2) The top scorer of each team in the Top 4 of the final finish in the tournament.
(Should one of the top 4 overall scorers also be the leader of a top 4 team, we will go to the top scorer of the 5th place team, and so on, to fill the lineup).

Thus, our first four all-stars have been determined by the prelim results. They are:

Adam Silverman, Centennial, 194 PPG
Ben Chametzky, Carbondale A, 153 PPG
Daniel Brach-Neufeld, Georgetown Day, 143 PPG
Max Schindler, Ladue A, 140 PPG

I'll use this thread to update people on the remaining team members and on the structure of the game itself. This year we will be donating $400 to charities and awarding several prizes to audience members during the game.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Re: PACE NSC All-Star Team and Game

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

The All-Star game happened (stats will be posted later). Each of the two teams selected a charity to play for, with the winning team's charity receiving $300 and the losing team's charity receiving $100. In accordance with the teams' choices, PACE will donate $300 to the American Cancer Society and $100 to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.

On behalf of PACE, I would like to thank all the all-stars for their participation.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Here are stats as official as you're likely to find: Team "Yus" (Sameer Rai, Webster Guan, Richard Yu, and James Bradbury) scored roughly 480 points, while Team "Jews" (Daniel Brach-Neufeld, Adam Silverman, Ben Chametzky, and Max Schindler) put up about 280. Per moderator Isaac Hirsch's declaration, however, the game was actually won by both teams.

A fun time was had by all.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Several audience members, both students and staff, won prizes for picking up answers missed by both teams or for answering mash-up tossups (I couldn't figure out what the official name given to these were). My favorite answers were probably Clarence Thomas the Tank Engine and Stephen Hawking Kong.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, I hope teams and audience members found the all-star game a fun way to wind down the tournament while still demonstrating what the top players at the tournament are capable of.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008