Fonts

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
fett0001
Tidus

Fonts

Post by fett0001 »

Why is it that Times New Roman is the font of choice for packets? I find it difficult to read; rn looks quite similar to m, for example. Is it just me?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: Fonts

Post by Cody »

That is a common problem with TNR 10. An easy way to work around it is to increase the zoom level to 120%+.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

SirT wrote:That is a common problem with TNR 10. An easy way to work around it is to increase the zoom level to 120%+.
Sure, but why use it, if it has such problems?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I've gotten less enamored of TNR 10 over the years; I've experimented with different fonts in the last couple of MOs as a result. I like things like Cambria or Palatino in slightly larger font sizes.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Francis the Talking France
Wakka

Post by Francis the Talking France »

Apparently, in schools it is recommended that teachers use rounded, wide fonts so they're easier to see from farther away and TNR is not usually recommended. That is one of the main reasons as to why Comic Sans is commonly used even though most people dislike it. Arial, Helvetica, Cambria, and Georgia are all easier to read in my opinion, especially when they're smaller fonts. TNR is probably just used most frequently as it is the standard for writing essays and is the typical font used in guidelines for question length.
Matt Duchan
Chapel Hill High School '12
University of Denver '16
Director of the 2013 Colorado State History Bowl
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Palatino is a great font. I also nominate Century Schoolbook. Both of these are a bit larger than TNR and may prevent future myopia in moderators.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Perhaps one's font decision ought to depend whether the packet is being read from paper or a computer screen?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Kyle wrote:Perhaps one's font decision ought to depend whether the packet is being read from paper or a computer screen?
The only time a computer screen is an issue is if packets are .pdf, and Acrobat does have a zoom feature.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Kyle wrote:Perhaps one's font decision ought to depend whether the packet is being read from paper or a computer screen?
The only time a computer screen is an issue is if packets are .pdf, and Acrobat does have a zoom feature.
I meant because of the serifs.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I was taught that if you're creating something meant to be read on a screen, use a sans-serif typeface for the body.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I like Times New Roman if you turn the zoom up. I find that writing in "font size 10" is the ideal way to determine question length, but I don't like it (unless I turn the zoom up) for reading questions.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

The rn/m problem was a contributing factor in one of my team's Geography Bowl losses, the reader said "tam" when he was supposed to say "tarn" and it completely threw me off.

When I read from a laptop, I change the font to Cambria. Not sure what is best for reading on paper. Theoretically you want serifs, so you still have to watch out for the rn/m problem.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Edward Cullen Bryant wrote:The rn/m problem was a contributing factor in one of my team's Geography Bowl losses, the reader said "tam" when he was supposed to say "tarn" and it completely threw me off.

When I read from a laptop, I change the font to Cambria. Not sure what is best for reading on paper. Theoretically you want serifs, so you still have to watch out for the rn/m problem.
I just did the rn/m test. Mostly because most of Twitter got trolled the other day by "Adarn Shefter" convinced ESPN and the rest of the world that Tim Tebow had been traded to the Jaguars (Adam Shefter is ESPN's top NFL reporter).

I'd rank them based on that issue alone for ease to read:

1) Comic Sans (i'm not joking, it's actually the easiest to tell apart)
2) Lucida Sans
3) Cambria
4) Calibri

And then the fonts that absolutely stink for this
5) Verdana
6) Arial
7) TNR
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Broad-tailed Grassbird wrote:
Edward Cullen Bryant wrote:The rn/m problem was a contributing factor in one of my team's Geography Bowl losses, the reader said "tam" when he was supposed to say "tarn" and it completely threw me off.

I just did the rn/m test. Mostly because most of Twitter got trolled the other day by "Adarn Shefter" convinced ESPN and the rest of the world that Tim Tebow had been traded to the Jaguars (Adam Shefter is ESPN's top NFL reporter).

I'd rank them based on that issue alone for ease to read:

1) Comic Sans (i'm not joking, it's actually the easiest to tell apart)
2) Lucida Sans
3) Cambria
4) Calibri

And then the fonts that absolutely stink for this
5) Verdana
6) Arial
7) TNR
I saw the Adarn Schefter tweets, classic prankster. Tight keming makes everything look dean and modem.

As for Comic Sans, if I ever see a set typeset in Comic Sans, I will END the editor responsible.

TNR 10 seems to be the set standard for submission just so we know how long a tossup and that a "six-line tossup" means the same thing to everybody. But I think when it comes to reading, TNR 10 is a bad idea.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I find magnifying TNR 10 to 120% is the most aesthetically appealing presentation of a packet known to man.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

I can't believe I missed a discussion on fonts, so I figured I'd add my opinion(s) even if I am a bit late to the discussion. Palatino is a good font, but it does have a slight rn vs. m problem. Gill Sans is a nice, readable sans-serif that I prefer to Helvetica because it's just a bit rounder (although Helvetica is also a good font, which I think most people agree on). Cochin is very easy to tell rn vs. m apart, but beyond that doesn't have much going for it because it's so small and needs to be at least 12 pt to be readable on-screen.

Have people considered just kerning their favorite font to space out rn and any other problem letters? This could even be done in TNR and wouldn't alter the font so much that it would change the number of lines of a tossup (unless people would rather just track the whole font, which would have to be done afterwards since it'd impact the length of the tossups).
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21