Back to the future... with the IESA!

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Back to the future... with the IESA!

Post by the return of AHAN »

Roll it back to 2005, folks, as we return to the time when the State Series was seeded at the regional level, and all regionals were drawn on the basis of geography.
http://www.iesa.org/activities/scb/assi ... 2&Class=AA
Regional 2 and regional 4 present the strongest contrast possible with the return to the old set-up. I'd wager that ANY of the regional 4 teams would be the favorite to win the smaller Regional 2. The most traditional power of that bunch, Marlowe, is in full-blown rebuild mode, according to their coach, as she had zero 8th graders show up for the 1st practice. Wauconda was very good as recently as 3 years ago (and whatdyaknow? the Wauconda HS team is suddenly good!), but Heineman & Matthews usually scuffle The Hawthorns, OTOH, have both been very good recently, Plum Grove is new but expected to be strong, the Buffalo Grove schools are never to be trifled with, and Daniel Wright is still Daniel Wright.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
African threadfish
Lulu

Re: Back to the future... with the IESA!

Post by African threadfish »

Thanks for posting this Jeff!

For some reason Keith is not in any of the "A" regionals........hmmm. I better check with my AD. :shock:
Kristin Burns -Middle School and High School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
the return of AHAN
Auron

It appears, according to IESA.org, that Keith is not signed up for the State Series this year.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
African threadfish
Lulu

Moving Day wrote:It appears, according to IESA.org, that Keith is not signed up for the State Series this year.
Indeed, turns out that we are registered for IESA but not Scholastic Bowl. My AD sent the check today, hopefully we can still be seeded for Regionals!
African threadfish
Lulu

We're in! http://www.iesa.org/activities/scb/assi ... 12&Class=A

Jeff, did IESA do away with posting match results this year? Last year we were able to enter our contests and stats. I did not see this option. Just curious, it was helpful to know a little about our competition ahead of time.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Kristin Burns wrote:We're in! http://www.iesa.org/activities/scb/assi ... 12&Class=A

Jeff, did IESA do away with posting match results this year? Last year we were able to enter our contests and stats. I did not see this option. Just curious, it was helpful to know a little about our competition ahead of time.
AFAIK, they're still doing it, per the Terms & Conditions posted on their web site. I'll ask around.

BTW, I scored a 10th team in Daniel Wright B for the challenge bracket so, you thank you for the offer!
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Nope, you can still log your game results. You'll need the password sent your admin/IESA rep.
Jeff Price
African threadfish
Lulu

Moving Day wrote:Nope, you can still log your game results. You'll need the password sent your admin/IESA rep.

Done and entered! We went to a tourney in Ottawa on Saturday and I wanted to enter our matches.

Thanks Jeff, for all of your help. Thank you also for the update on the tournament! My kids will be much happier in "standard", especially since we will be short a few players.

Looking forward to it!
the return of AHAN
Auron

Congratulations to Palatine Quest Academy on their regional championship. TWO weeks before it even begins...
http://www.iesa.org/activities/scb/assi ... ?Year=2012

Best of luck to Mrs. Groh and her team in the sectionals!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Jeff Price
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Moving Day wrote:Congratulations to Palatine Quest Academy on their regional championship. TWO weeks before it even begins...

Is this real or a mistake?
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
African threadfish
Lulu

Moving Day wrote:Congratulations to Palatine Quest Academy on their regional championship. TWO weeks before it even begins...

Any idea when seeding for brackets starts? Is it right after the contest deadline on April 16? Hadn't heard, just curious.
the return of AHAN
Auron

@ Tristan; both, AFAIK. They planned it to be a 3-team regional, but Chicago CCR and Round Lake Park dropped, apparently.

@ Kristin; The 2012 activity update outlines the new procedures.
Cliffs: The computer handles all of the seeding since coaches can't be counted on to go on-line and seed teams. It'll go by winning percentage, then wins, then losses, which is a silly thing for them to write since a tie in winning percentage and wins would mean.... class? Anyone? Anyone? :roll:
So, a 3-0 team gets the #1 seed and a 42-2 team gets #2. Got it? :lol:
Jeff Price
African threadfish
Lulu

Moving Day wrote:@ Tristan; both, AFAIK. They planned it to be a 3-team regional, but Chicago CCR and Round Lake Park dropped, apparently.

@ Kristin; The 2012 activity update outlines the new procedures.
Cliffs: The computer handles all of the seeding since coaches can't be counted on to go on-line and seed teams. It'll go by winning percentage, then wins, then losses, which is a silly thing for them to write since a tie in winning percentage and wins would mean.... class? Anyone? Anyone? :roll:
So, a 3-0 team gets the #1 seed and a 42-2 team gets #2. Got it? :lol:
Oh fabulous! So we shouldn't expect a decent seeding with our 22-12 record? Even though most of our losses were to teams like Daniel Write and Barrington Station? Darn, I was hoping that strength of schedule would be a factor. Oh well, we'll have fun at any rate. Thanks for the info Jeff, and kudos for the Ben Stein reference :lol:
African threadfish
Lulu

Good Luck in your Regionals Tomorrow!
the return of AHAN
Auron

Kristin Burns wrote:Good Luck in your Regionals Tomorrow!
After seeing how things have turned out in our matches vs. Prairie on IESA-formatted questions (0-2), that's about all we have to cling to. They have a new player this year who has the "shining" when it comes to questions whose content can be guessed at 5 words in. :shock:
But thank you for the sentiment!
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'll be tweeting the results of each match at today's IESA Class AA Regional Tournament in Barrington.
@StationQuizbowl
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

So here was the break-down of answer lines scored yesterday in the critical, round 4 of the regional championship, Station vs. Prairie:

TOSS-UPS:
Lit: "Rip Van Winkle" - STATION
Fitness: "Body Mass Index" - STATION
Gen Math: Remainder of "17" - STATION
History: "Fidel Castro" - STATION
Health: "diabetes" - PRAIRIE
Algebra: largest of 3 odd numbers "7" - PRAIRIE
Music: "Fugue" - PRAIRIE
Grammar: identifying the object of a preposition - PRAIRIE
Earth Science: "New Moon" - PRAIRIE
Geography: "Panama" - PRAIRIE
Lit: "Odysseus" - STATION
Life Science: "Heterozygous" - PRAIRIE
Geometry: "seeing that angles described were vertical -> "75 degrees" - PRAIRIE
Civics: "Volstead Act" - STATION
Dance: "Leotard" - PRAIRIE
Gen Math: (metric conversion km to cm) - DEAD
Physical Science: "Radio Waves" - PRAIRIE
History: "George McLellan" - DEAD
Spelling: "Q-U-E-S-T-I-O-N-N-A-I-R-E" - STATION
Algebra: "Quadratic" - PRAIRIE
Civics: "Martin Luther King Jr National Memorial" - STATION
TV: "Paula Abdul" - STATION
out of bonuses

ANSWERED BONUS PARTS
Nitrogen, Carbon, Iron, Oxygen; Equilateral, Arc, transversal, concentric; chromatic scale, double stop, key signature, mezzopiano; Japan, Australia, Zimbabwe, Switzerland; Stevenson, Long John Silver, Billy Bones; (ID the acronym) National Organization for Women, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, American Civil Liberties Union; exhaust stroke, intake stroke, power stroke; (more acronyms) central processing unit, universal serial bus, random access memory, uniform resource locator; herb, daffodil; (ID gerund phrases) eating vegetables, playing basketball, practicing the piano, washing the dog; (slopes of lines) -3, 3/2, -8/9, 1/4; Orion, extrusive, lithium, fibula; Lyndon Johnson, Andrew Johnson, Millard Fillmore, T. Roosevelt; Gaston, Scar, Cruella De Vil, Maleficient; s-t-a-t-i-o-n-e-r-y, c-o-m-p-l-a-c-e-n-t, i-l-l-i-c-i-t, p-r-i-n-c-i-p-l-e; Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn, Uranus; (next # in sequence) 96, 216, 3.75, 18.1; Claude Monet, Edouard Manet, Pierre Renoir, Gustave Caillebotte; (words with p) pixie, petition, prairie, paralegal; deficit, capital gains tax, Social Security, inflation

DEAD BONUS PARTS
#5: Hispaniola, #6 National Council of La Raza, #7 power stroke, compression stroke ("compress" was ruled incorrect, BTW, should I have protested?), #9: anther, bryophyte
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Jeff Price
African threadfish
Lulu

Quite interesting! Hopefully it isn't too distracting. I did send the link to my colleagues so that they can track our team on Friday. We are very excited! :grin:
the return of AHAN
Auron

Congratulations, by the way! Be sure to tweet or facebook any updates if you're not in a webcasted room...
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Coach of a team headed to IESA State Finals wrote: I really think playing the other formats is part of what has made my team so much stronger this year. Their depth of knowledge is better.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

I never posted my predictions so here I go:

Class AA
Pool A
Danville North Ridge 2-1
Macomb 2-1
Dunlap MS 2-1
Willowbrook Westview Hills 0-3
(In tiebreaker rounds, North Ridge goes 2-0, Macomb goes 1-1, defeating Dunlap when someone on Dunlap pluralizes a common noun answer line that shows only a singular form with no alternatives listed)

Pool B
Morton 2-1 * (Morton advances on paper tiebreaker)
Barrington Prairie 2-1
Rochester 1-2
New Lenox Martino 1-2

FINALS: North Ridge defeats Morton
3rd Place: Prairie defeats Macomb

Class A
Pool A
Springfield Our Savior 3-0
Palatine Quest 2-1
Rockford Keith 1-2
Carthage 0-3

Pool B
Normal Metcalf 3-0
Peoria Academy 2-1
Champaign St. Matthew 1-2
Beecher City 0-3

FINALS: Metcalf defeats Our Savior
3rd Place: Peoria Academy defeats Palatine Quest

NOTE: Most of these have no basis in fact and/or reason and are just me having fun. :grin:
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

the return of AHAN wrote: FINALS: Metcalf defeats Our Savior
3rd Place: Peoria Academy defeats Palatine Quest

NOTE: Most of these have no basis in fact and/or reason and are just me having fun. :grin:
Not bad. 4 for 4 in Class A. Now I'll be really impressed if you can pull off another superfecta with the Kentucky Derby tomorrow.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator