CAT VI @ Chatham High School (NJ) - 5/19/12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ChathamNJ
Wakka

CAT VI @ Chatham High School (NJ) - 5/19/12

Post by ChathamNJ »

Chatham High School will host its sixth annual tournament using NAQT sets IS-115 (Premier and Main Divisions) and MSNCT-12 (Freshman Division) . For details and a registration form, please email my colleague Nicole Avery at naveryATchathamHYPHENnjDOTorg.

Field update (5/18/12):

Premier (16)
Colonia
Delbarton
East Brunswick
Great Neck South
High Point
High Tech
Hunter x3
MAST
Millburn
Mountain Lakes
Newark Academy
NV Demarest
St. Joseph
Sparta

Main (35)
Bergenfield x3
Columbia
East Brunswick
Glen Rock x2
Great Neck South x2
High Point
Hunter
Kellenberg
MAST
Middletown North x2
Millburn
Morristown-Beard x2
Mother Seton
North Babylon x2
NV Demarest
Phillipsburg x3
Pingry x2
Ridgewood x3
Seton Hall Prep x2
St. Joseph
Sparta
Wissahickon

Freshman (11)
Ardsley
Irvington
MAST
Millburn
Mountain Lakes
North Babylon
Phillipsburg x2
Port Jefferson
Ridgewood
St. Joseph
Last edited by ChathamNJ on Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Stephen Fineman
Academic Team Advisor, Chatham HS (NJ)
adzaho31
Kimahri

Re: CAT VI @ Chatham High School (NJ) - 5/19/12

Post by adzaho31 »

This tournament doesn't keep individual stats, correct?
Adam Horowitz
East Brunswick High School '12
Brown University '16
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Unfortunately no teams from Westchester will be able to attend this tournament because of a schedule conflict but good luck to everyone attending.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

adzaho31 wrote:This tournament doesn't keep individual stats, correct?
They didn't last year; I don't know if that's the case this year.
ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Unfortunately no teams from Westchester will be able to attend this tournament because of a schedule conflict but good luck to everyone attending.
This is true. I realize that it's late, but if it were possible to move the tournament up a week, I'm sure that there would be multiple Westchester teams here. If not, best of luck to this tournament. We had a great time here last year.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The field is posted as an update to my original post. I'm sure there will be many additions, but we are keeping this Thursday as the deadline for guaranteed spots. After that we'll have a waiting list based on optimizing tournament logistics.

To address some of the comments made above:
adzaho31 wrote:This tournament doesn't keep individual stats, correct?
We haven't in the past, but hope to do so this year. It all depends on the number of student staffers we have, and this year we won't be hit by the music ensembles' overnight trip. Having scorekeepers in the game rooms is a higher priority than stat entry, but if we are able to keep individual stats in a timely fashion, we will do exactly that.

Whatever statistics we do have will be posted to the database on tournament day.
I Min Alsklings Tradgard wrote:
ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Unfortunately no teams from Westchester will be able to attend this tournament because of a schedule conflict but good luck to everyone attending.
This is true. I realize that it's late, but if it were possible to move the tournament up a week, I'm sure that there would be multiple Westchester teams here. If not, best of luck to this tournament. We had a great time here last year.
Moving the tournament is not an option. Unfortunately conflicts are bound to arise, but we expect another large field this year as it is. (Is there a big "event" in White Plains? :grin: ) We've developed a great groove with the post-AP and pre-Memorial Day date, and hope that continues.

Ryan, thank you for your kind words. I hope Ardsley's freshman team enjoys their day.
Stephen Fineman
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

High Tech would like to register a team in the Premier division and will probably bring a buzzer system. I'll send the form to you by the end of the week.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joe's will be bringing 3 teams---1 in the Premier Division, 1 in the Main Division, and 1 in the Freshman Division. We will also bring 2 buzzers. I will send an official registration form to Nicole within the next 24 hours or so.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

SHP will have two teams for the main division. If you are in need of buzzers or moderators, please contact me off the board. E-mail to follow.

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg would like to bring 1 team for the Premier Division and 1 team for the Main Division. We will also have 2 buzzers and no moderators.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Irvington will (hopefully) send a freshmen team, a registration form will be sent when we know whether or not we will.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
karav0
Lulu

Post by karav0 »

Ridgewood would like to bring three main division teams, one freshman team, four buzzers and two moderators.
Kara Vo
Co-Captain Ridgewood High School, NJ '13
University of Maryland '17
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

This is just an idea so feel free to shoot it down, but since this tournament has a moderately early explicitly planned finish time of 4:30 and just about all of the schools in the area that host tournaments will have teams here (except for Bergen Academies, Bloomfield, and I'm assuming Livingston will start hosting again with their advisor back next year), would this tournament possibly be the time to set out a possible calendar for next year's tournaments?
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter would like to register 3 Premier division teams and 1 Main division team. We will also have 2 moderators and 1 scorekeeper.

Edit: 2 mods
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The field has been updated above once more.

We're very close to our provisional field cap of 30 in the Main Division. After that, we'll put teams on a waiting list to keep that division with a multiple of 6 for logistical reasons. Any schools who are uncertain of your # of teams, please pin that down as soon as possible so we can allow all interested teams to register and not have any byes.

Brother Nigel, please make sure to send Mrs. Avery your registration email so that Kellenberg's entry is officially locked in.
Stephen Fineman
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The field has been updated again. Registration for the Premier and Main Divisions is now closed, barring any teams who drop out. The Freshman Division is still open for now.
Stephen Fineman
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

This is some lunch advertisement, but if you and your students are interested in eating Japanese food for lunch, please contact me. It its $15 dollars for a bento box which includes rice, shumai, salad, and a california/cucumber/avocado&cucumber roll with a main of chicken/salmon teriyaki/ chicken katsu/pork katsu. There is also fried rice for $8, yakisoba for $10, and chicken teriyaki for $8. Rice balls are $2 each. Drinks are $1 which is coke, diet coke, sprite, ginger ale, and bottled water. These are just recommendations but if you are a vegetarian and want other food, you can message me. If you are interested please message me with your order. More stuff here:
http://torosushibar.com/menu.shtml
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The field is updated again - we had some drops and are holding a free standby spot in each of the Main and Freshman divisions. The first school to arrive tomorrow with extra players will get each spot.
Stephen Fineman
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

We are posting stat reports after each round is entered.

http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/991/
Stephen Fineman
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'm curious - what are the numbers next to teams' names in the stats (i.e. "9 Hunter College HS A")? Surely that's not a seeding?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Hunter A is tied -1 to -1? What?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

The finals are going on right now: Hunter A vs. High Tech.
RyuAqua wrote:I'm curious - what are the numbers next to teams' names in the stats (i.e. "9 Hunter College HS A")? Surely that's not a seeding?
Those are the index numbers for each team on our schedule sheet. Helps a lot when setting up the schedule and looking for errors in game entry.
Christ, I Know wrote:Hunter A is tied -1 to -1? What?
When a game is pre-entered into SQBS with no score, it's auto-corrected to show a score of -1 - -1. That disappears once the scores are actually input.
Stephen Fineman
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Is there a Semifinal match missing in the stats? St. Joe's lost to Hunter A in one Semifinal, and High Tech was playing Hunter B in the other. The post about the finals says High Tech was playing Hunter A, so should there not be a playoff game in the playoff stats between High Tech and Hunter B? Or am I missing something here?

In the meantime, thanks to Nicole and Steve and everyone at Chatham for running this year-end tournament. It is a great tune-up for those going to Nationals, a great year-ender for everyone else, and the only tournament in the region to run a Freshman only division, which the Frosh love. So thank you!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Francis the Talking France
Wakka

Post by Francis the Talking France »

RyuAqua wrote:I'm curious - what are the numbers next to teams' names in the stats (i.e. "9 Hunter College HS A")? Surely that's not a seeding?
I was thinking that was just the number on a list in the order of which they registered or were added into the system.
Matt Duchan
Chapel Hill High School '12
University of Denver '16
Director of the 2013 Colorado State History Bowl