Difficulty/scheduling question

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Difficulty/scheduling question

Post by bradleykirksey »

UCF wants to house-write a tournament next year, perhaps. The big, first question is what difficulty. The first thought is that something HSNCT level, like a warmup, in the november-january would be fun. Then people started questioning the ability to get high school teams good enough to field HSNCT questions to come to Orlando.

Which is right? Is there a chance for a tournament like that?

It would be smaller, but with a similar format, and hopefully difficulty.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Difficulty/scheduling question

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

You should absolutely not write a set that is approaching the difficulty of nationals. Even if you were in a region that actually had nationally relevant high school teams, you still should not write a tournament that is harder than a regular high school tournament because there are too many hard sets out there as is. I would not even recommend housewriting the set yourself - if you want to produce a set you really should collaborate with an experienced editor for your first time doing this, or else just use one of the many fine sets from NAQT, HSAPQ, or other independent sets that aren't going to be run in Florida otherwise.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

OK. Thanks very much. Then I strongly suspect that the difficulty will be turned down a lot. And we'll look into other ways to get packets. Thanks.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Probably the best way for UCF to get involved is to search for existing sets and offering to collaborate. Speaking of this, will there be a thread (like last year) where this can happen (that is, where sets for the next academic year will be announced and clubs wishing to collaborate can offer their services)?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

nadph wrote:Probably the best way for UCF to get involved is to search for existing sets and offering to collaborate. Speaking of this, will there be a thread (like last year) where this can happen (that is, where sets for the next academic year will be announced and clubs wishing to collaborate can offer their services)?
This thread has existed for quite some time already. viewtopic.php?f=109&t=12596
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them