Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) "at" VCU (4/14)

Old college threads.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) "at" VCU (4/14)

Post by Cody »

This is the general announcement for the Virginia Commonwealth University mirror of this year's Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT), which will be held in Charlottesville on Saturday, April 14, 2012. The difficulty of MUT this year will be approximately the same as past few, or between ACF Fall and ACF Regionals in difficulty. It is being written by members of the Minnesota and UIUC quizbowl teams. For more information, please see the official MUT 2012 announcement thread

FEES:*
Base fee - $100 per team
Buzzer discount - $5 per buzzer (no limit)
Staffer discount - $10 per staffer (no limit)
Travel discount - $10 per 200 miles travelled (one-way)

To get a discount, buzzers must actually work for the purpose of a normal quizbowl game; that is, they must have eight working activators, a working control box, and either a working power cord or a fresh battery, as applicable. Don't waste everyone's time bringing broken buzzers to the tournament. That's actually worse than bringing no buzzers at all! Don't bring broken staffers either.

*Any other potential discounts should be discussed with me and will decided on a case by case basis.

ELIGIBILITY:
This tournament is only for undergraduate students. You may only play this tournament on a team from the college where you are enrolled (or were enrolled for the Fall semester). Standard ACF exceptions for things like satellite campuses with no quizbowl team do apply.

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers and staffers you plan to bring, along with an e-mail address where you can contacted with details. The field is currently capped at 12 teams, pending more staff, so registration is first come, first serve.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS/PARKING:
This tournament will not be held at VCU. It is being held in New Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia. As far as I am aware, New Cabell Hall does not have a street address, but it is located close to the intersection of Jefferson Park Avenue and Ruppel Drive/Brandon Avenue. I will endeavor to find a campus map and post it here.

PARKING:
There is a decent-sized parking lot quite close to New Cabell. An address you can plug into a GPS that will get you close to this lot is 400 Brandon Avenue, Charlottesville, VA. That address is for the Elson Student Health Center, which will be on your left as you turn onto Brandon from Jefferson Park Avenue. Student Health also has a parking lot but threatens to tow without a UVA permit. The lot I suggest is past Student Health on Brandon Ave and will be on the right. Once you've parked, New Cabell Hall is the very large building across Jefferson Park Avenue. If you cross the street at JPA and Brandon, turn left and walk up the ramp or stairs to either the front or side door of the building. The side door will be closer to you and put you on the first floor on the right side of the building, and the front door will have you on the second floor in the middle.

If this mysterious lot makes you nervous, allow an extra 15 minutes to park at Scott Stadium and follow these walking directions to reach New Cabell: To get from Scott Stadium to New Cabell Hall, turn right as you exit the parking lot (this should put you walking in the direction of the stadium) and proceed down Alderman Road. When you reach McCormick Road, which will be the first traffic light you come to, turn right. At that intersection, Ohill Dining Hall will be on your left. Across McCormick Road from that dining hall is the Astronomy Building parking lot, which may have space available and is worth checking to save some walking time. From either of those lots, walk down McCormick Road in the direction away from the dining hall. You’ll pass Old Dorms and a lot of science and engineering buildings, some of which also have parking lots you’re welcome to try. When the road curves, keep going straight to enter Central Grounds. As you keep walking, you should pass the Amphitheater while crossing the Bryan Hall Bridge. As you exit the bridge, turn right to enter New Cabell Hall. You will be on the 4th floor.

(Directions courtesy of Sarah Angelo)

TIMES:
Registration will run from 8:15 to 8:45, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 9:00.

FORMAT:
Packets will be ACF-format; tournament format will be determined by the number of teams present, but will be a round-robin followed by ACF-format finals.

FREELANCE STAFFERS:
You are our favorite people ever. Contact me if you want to staff the tournament.

PAYMENT:
All teams must pay on Saturday morning in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to "Quizbowl at VCU". Do not make checks out to any other person or entity besides "Quizbowl at VCU." If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. If you do not pay us the day of the tournament, you will be charged a $25 late fee.

Cody Voight, Tournament Director
[email protected]
Last edited by Cody on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Re: Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) at VCU (4/14)

Post by Cody »

Field (10):

Duke
GMU
Maryland A-B
Penn State
U Penn
Virginia A-B
Virginia Tech
William & Mary
Last edited by Cody on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

VT will hopefully be sending a team to this, even if it is just me playing solo.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

A quick note on eligibility:

This tournament is for undergraduates. You can be any year in playing as an undergraduate as long as you are in a typical degree-earning program. Undegraduate here is defined as "have not earned a bachelor's degree" or the equivalent of such (i.e., you can have played five years of college quizbowl and still be an undergraduate).

You can play if you are a high schooler.

You cannot play if you are not in school at all. If you graduated like in the fall, you can play--that's cool.

You cannot play on an open team. You must play for your college or educational institution (obviously if you need to "go rogue" as a high schooler that's okay). We are aware that occasionally field sizes may require some flexibility here--please contact us if this is something that needs resolved.

You cannot play if you are a graduate student.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Hey, everyone, the annual Orange and Blue football scrimmage has just been announced for this date. I'm not sure how big a draw it is, but I'm willing to bet they cordon off the stadium lot and make people pay to use it. So, I'd recommend the lot down Brandon Avenue.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Cody

Re: Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) "at" VCU (4/14)

Post by Cody »

It looks like the opening meeting will be in room 337 of New Cabell, as is usual.

I'll be sending out an e-mail with final details midway through next week.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
madviking
Lulu

Post by madviking »

Thanks to Cody and the VCU/UVA crew for running the tournament.

- RE
Ron Enson, University of Virginia '15
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Our team had a lot of fun; thanks for putting this together. I've got some stat corrections to send your way; Brian, Seth, and Matt should have played a roughly equal number of games between them. I'll email specifics.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

Penn State also had a lot of fun, and several of us independently stated that we had the most fun in our rounds against you, VT! So be on the lookout- we're comin' after ya!
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus