Quizbowl Central

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Re: Quizbowl Central

Post by tintinnabulation »

cornfused wrote:
nadph wrote:The server's still timing out when I try to access http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sharadmv/, even after clearing my cache. Any word as to why this might be? Sorry about the confusion.
Still down here, too.
Same.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
InfiniteJest101
Kimahri

Post by InfiniteJest101 »

Sharad,

Hello! Let me begin by saying thank you so much for providing this resource for the rest of us Quiz-bowl fanatics --your database is definitely the best for a high school quizbowl player. Kudos to you and all those who helped you make this possible.

That being said, I would like echo the concern of others, that in essence your database has become inaccessible and something of a frustration. I have no qualms about the redesign/relaunch of the Torry Pines database, but just now I attempted to access QuizBowl Central and it once again timed-out. Any improvements to the site, including multiplayer, are rendered meaningless if the site can't even be accessed in the first place. Alongside the rest of my team, the main reason I frequent the site, as I imagine most people do, is to research questions and learn new things for Quiz Bowl competition.

Is there any way you can resurrect the "old" TorryPines website while you work out the kinks in QuizBowl Central? Perhaps at least for the remainder of this semester? If the database if not going to be available, quite frankly I would rather you just publicly shut it down than have us continuously cross our fingers hope we get in to a resource that worked fine in its previous incarnation.

Again, thanks A MILLION for offering the database in the first place - just wanted to offer some feedback.

-Z

Poster was reminded to offer us more of a signature than "Z." --mgmt
--InfiniteJest 101
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

I am currently building the website with a more stable framework. It most definitely will not crash anymore. I'll let you guys know when it's done.
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Creator of Quizbowl DB: http://www.quizbowldb.com
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

InfiniteJest101 wrote:Sharad,

Hello! Let me begin by saying thank you so much for providing this resource for the rest of us Quiz-bowl fanatics --your database is definitely the best for a high school quizbowl player. Kudos to you and all those who helped you make this possible.

That being said, I would like echo the concern of others, that in essence your database has become inaccessible and something of a frustration. I have no qualms about the redesign/relaunch of the Torry Pines database, but just now I attempted to access QuizBowl Central and it once again timed-out. Any improvements to the site, including multiplayer, are rendered meaningless if the site can't even be accessed in the first place. Alongside the rest of my team, the main reason I frequent the site, as I imagine most people do, is to research questions and learn new things for Quiz Bowl competition.

Is there any way you can resurrect the "old" TorryPines website while you work out the kinks in QuizBowl Central? Perhaps at least for the remainder of this semester? If the database if not going to be available, quite frankly I would rather you just publicly shut it down than have us continuously cross our fingers hope we get in to a resource that worked fine in its previous incarnation.

Again, thanks A MILLION for offering the database in the first place - just wanted to offer some feedback.
The feedback of complaining that a free service isn't working perfectly, and so just tear it down? And who cares if you would rather it just publicly shut it down? Is it going to mar and/or sully the good name of "InfiniteJest101"? Sharad, please think twice before you ruin the reputation of David Foster Wallace any more.

Sharad's busted his ass just to even set this thing up in the first place. A feature doesn't work immediately? Boy, if only there was some alternate way to practice quiz bowl. Like, I dunno, actual practices, or IRC, or the whole thing that's going on with Skype.

There's just this assumption that people are not only willing to do things to benefit others with minimal gains for themselves, but they're willing to do that while people make unreasonable demands about them. Guess what? They won't. You're actually going to make people stop doing things that benefit quiz bowl. But hey, I guess we can also yell at people who put all this work in for no reason other than to actually do something good for quiz bowl, and then be shocked - SHOCKED - when people stop making goodwill gestures because everyone acts like jerks. This sounds like the best possible plan to me!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I suppose I'll mention that the IRC TriviaBot (aka scobowl) does some of the same things that Quizbowl Central does (namely, read questions to you). If you don't want to deal with playing other random people in #scobowl, you can host your own instance of it and have it read questions to you across various sets. Information on this is available at places like http://www.aegisquestions.com/triviabot/, http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/triviabot and http://code.google.com/p/qbbot.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
shandotassadar
Kimahri

Post by shandotassadar »

I hope I am not the only one who has experienced a particular problem when using the site. I know you can set the category to a specific subject, but when I tried setting the categories to two or more specific subjects, the site completely stops working. I feel bad when this happens, especially when I was playing with others and the site cannot be used again until it is reset.

This problem has occurred three times: all the same trying to set it to specific categories. I am guessing that is the problem...and I know not to even dare try it again, unless to irritate my friends I play with...hahaha....oi.....SORRY!!!
Jeffrey Buenaflor
Southwest High School '06
UCLA '10 - Biochemistry
CSULA '13 - Organic Chemistry
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Is the entire site down right now, because I can't connect to it? Also, how well does it play with Opera?
Joe
Delaware
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Does anyone else have problems logging in/creating an account?
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Just wanted to say that OCF will be very flaky. I am currently creating a more stable site to hopefully release this weekend.
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Hey Sharad, thanks for getting the site back up! It's great. If you decide to do another update, could you try to make the site a bit more compatible for small screens? I am not a technical tech person, so I do not know how difficult that would be for you to do, but I can't hit "buzz" on my netbook without going full screen or zooming out because there is no scroll; it doesn't automatically reformat for a smaller screen, either. On my phone (Android, if that matters), I can't scroll over to the edge to hit "generate" on the reader, which is obviously a bit of a hitch.

I really appreciate all the work you've done on the site, especially with all of us nagging you during the downtime. You've done a great job. If you're doing another update, I'd love it if you could try to fix the problems I've run into.

(Oh, and I think it's still impossible to create an account. Anybody else still getting that?)
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Heck, it's still down for me.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
tintinnabulation
Wakka

cornfused wrote:Heck, it's still down for me.
Worked for me on Friday night, now it's down again. Timing out.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Greetings!

Finally, a new (stable) site is ready for release!

It is located at http://www.quizbowldb.com. YES! A DOMAIN NAME!
It is still under construction, as the multiplayer has not yet been completed. However, I will be working hard to finish that over the upcoming weeks.

New Features:
1. New Name: Quizbowl DB (due to domain name issues)
2. MUCH better UI (uses newer front-end technologies, such as Twitter Bootstrap, backbone.js, underscore.js, jQuery, HTML5 inputs, CSS3)
3. MUCH better backend (still running on node.js, but utilizing better file serving (via expressjs and ejs), more efficient code, much more stable, etc.)
4. Upgraded reader (nicer features in general)
5. Upgraded search (nicer UI, faster!, paginated results, --no download just yet, but working on it)
6. Social integration. Yes, I now have integrated Facebook into the quizbowl site. I feel that since so many users are online at the same time, I should make it a more social experience. I hope this way, it will be a more personal experience and will help encourage members of the quizbowl community to get to know each other.
This also solves several other problems. This creates an almost-foolproof authentication system! Unlike my old, somewhat sketchy one, this one utilizes OAuth 2.0 with Facebook, so it is highly secure. Furthermore, this solves the issue of "trolls" in the multiplayer/single player that will mess with the system. Your account is directly tied to your Facebook, so therefore, you NEED a Facebook to use any of the "social" features of this site. While logged in, your scores will be recorded for statistical purposes, as they were before. IMPORTANT NOTE: I will not be getting all your FB information!!!!!!!! All the information I get is 1. Your general public FB information (available to everyone in the universe), 2. Your email (so i can send notifications and updates like this to everyone). The main reason for the FB integration is for better authentication and some social-ness for the site. I don't need/want all of your guys's information, so don't be scared by the scary "Allow permissions" dialog. I want this site to be as fun and useful for you guys as possible.
7. More stable realtime technology. I'm utilizing a new technology which allows for cross-domain, cross-protocol, cross-language RPC and message broadcasting. This has several implications. 1) This technology seems unable to crash, but I'm sure you guys will find a way eventually :P. 2) This technology will make it super easy to port Quizbowl DB to Android and iOS. In this case, I hope that I can recruit some eager developers in the QB community to make these apps. 3) I'll be able to create a really intricate multiplayer game framework, much more than I could have before. Multiplayer should also be portable to mobile.
--As a quick display of this technology multiplayer, I have added a "Ticker" much similar to the Facebook ticker. It will display when people logoff/login and their correct buzzes on questions in the single player reader. I don't really think this is a super important feature, but I think it's a cool display of the technology that I'm using. Tell me what you guys think.

MOST IMPORTANT NOTE:
This site works best in Chrome. It does NOT work in Internet Explorer. If you're using IE still, please do the world a favor and get Chrome.

Anyways, that's all pretty much. I've moved off Berkeley servers and am now solely running of Amazon EC2. This should be able to handle itself decently. If there are server issues, I will look into them ASAP.

Please, check out my code at http://www.github.com/sharadmv/quizbowl. (Thanks to Gerald Fong who helped out a lot!)
Android/iOS devs, if you're interested, ask me for API access/docs.
Any other questions/comments? [email protected]

Thanks for reading!
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

This looks extremely cool, but it also happens to be blocked on our school computer because of "potentially damaging content"?
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

sharadmv wrote:Your account is directly tied to your Facebook
Hmm, so how does this work if we're at school and Facebook is blocked through an internet filter?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Ultrasurf
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Since Chrome and Opera are so similar, will it be able to work on Opera too?
Joe
Delaware
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Any potential for creating user accounts for those of us who are no longer on Facebook? Or did I just miss something on the site?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:Since Chrome and Opera are so similar, will it be able to work on Opera too?
Chrome and Opera use completely unrelated rendering engines; they are nothing alike.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Firefox?
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Firefox should be fine.haven't tested opera though
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
rangaswamy.vivek
Lulu

Post by rangaswamy.vivek »

Wow! This is amazing! Great job, Sharad!!
Vivek Rangaswamy
Rancho Bernardo '12
tintinnabulation
Wakka

I love the new site! It works really well...except on my Android, still. Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but pressing anything other than "Search" or "Reader" or "Multiplayer" has no effect. Thanks for all your work--happy to finally have something permanent that works well!
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

sharadmv wrote:Firefox should be fine.haven't tested opera though
Firefox was mostly non-functional (at work) and Chrome (on my laptop) is AOK.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

brenhil
Kimahri

Post by brenhil »

Hey Sharad, first off I can't thank you enough for keeping us updated and working on this ongoing project to help QBers study whenever they want, however they want - it's fantastic.

The new site looks awesome and is clearly more stable than the last. However I can't submit any of my answers, even when I have logged in through my Facebook account. Once I press "Buzz" I can't press Submit or do anything else, and am forced to start a new question.

I don't if I'm the only one with the issue, but just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again!
Sebastian Kahf

Marist High School, GA
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Is there a chance that Category=Fine Arts isn't available?
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

brenhil
Kimahri

Post by brenhil »

cornfused wrote:Is there a chance that Category=Fine Arts isn't available?
I'm pretty sure that issue got fixed like an hour ago. It was stated that Fine Arts is once again working, and I'm solely doing Fine Arts questions as I type this.

Should be working.
Sebastian Kahf

Marist High School, GA
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

IIRC, there was a way to fix questions that somehow ended up in the wrong category back in the day. Is this feature gone from the new site, and if so, are there plans to re-implement it?
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

I do plan on adding all those features back to the site.
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Hello all,
Just added IE 7+ support for Quizbowl DB

http://www.quizbowldb.com
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I've been using the reader today, and the only problem I'm having in Firefox is that using space to buzz isn't working, though clicking works fine. Space to start the question and Enter to submit an answer also work; it's just the buzzing that's not working.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

The Golden Fleecing wrote:I've been using the reader today, and the only problem I'm having in Firefox is that using space to buzz isn't working, though clicking works fine. Space to start the question and Enter to submit an answer also work; it's just the buzzing that's not working.
Had the same problem recently.

Also, now Facebook login seems to not be working. A browser window opens, and then immediately closes, to no apparent effect.

In addition, I get no response to an answer, other than an update to the score on the left. Problem is occurring in both Firefox and Iron.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Was doing maintenance, but it should work now.
What version of FF are you using?
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
brenhil
Kimahri

Post by brenhil »

Currently not working for me or one of my friends. Can't submit answer or buzz without having to refresh page. Search function still works.

Tried on all latest versions of Chrome, FireFox, Safari.
Sebastian Kahf

Marist High School, GA
Yuna

I am using Firefox version 11.0.
Farrah Bilimoria
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

The Golden Fleecing wrote:I've been using the reader today, and the only problem I'm having in Firefox is that using space to buzz isn't working, though clicking works fine. Space to start the question and Enter to submit an answer also work; it's just the buzzing that's not working.
Same problem here. Space to buzz doesn't work in firefox 11.0, but does work in chrome.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

On Chrome, none of the FB functions (sign-in or seeing other people's activity) have worked for about a week now.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

cornfused wrote:On Chrome, none of the FB functions (sign-in or seeing other people's activity) have worked for about a week now.
Not having this problem in Iron, so it might be a Google Bloatware issue, or something specific to you.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

fett0001 wrote:
cornfused wrote:On Chrome, none of the FB functions (sign-in or seeing other people's activity) have worked for about a week now.
Not having this problem in Iron, so it might be a Google Bloatware issue, or something specific to you.
Maybe the former. I'm having the problem on two different computers.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

I tested with chrome, and I'm not having trouble with facebook connectivity. Some issue other than the browser and adblock must be causing the trouble.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

fett0001 wrote:I tested with chrome, and I'm not having trouble with facebook connectivity. Some issue other than the browser and adblock must be causing the trouble.
I'm not having trouble either - so whatever it was, either it disappeared, or thanks are due to Gerald and Sharad for finding and fixing it. So, thanks, gents.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

PACE is pleased to announce that it is now sponsoring Quizbowl Central. We look forward to players and teams from around the country (and the world!) continuing to use this great resource that Sharad has developed.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Thanks A TON to PACE for doing this!
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Minor quibble: For me, in both Iron and Firefox, chat covers up the last few characters of each line of questions at 1280 x 800 resolution.

Firefox space to buzz bug is still around.

Edit: clarity
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Yuna

Something I've also noticed is that special characters and sometimes entire words don't appear. For example, in 2009 ACF Fall, Furman/Claremont/Illinois/ ULL, Krebs cycle tossup, the "α" in "α-ketoglutarate" shows up as a question mark. In 2010 ACF Nationals, Penn/Illinois A, Robert Guiscard tossup, the names "Jerusalem", "Normandy", and "Apulia" don't show up at all.
Farrah Bilimoria
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Hey guys, quizbowldb seems to be down at the moment. Is this a permanent situation? Has it moved? Will it come back?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

The Atom Strikes! wrote:Hey guys, quizbowldb seems to be down at the moment. Is this a permanent situation? Has it moved? Will it come back?
It seems to be working now.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

The logon feature's been down for a few weeks, though - for me (Firefox and Chrome) and for at least one other user (Chrome).
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Any chance the "export to pdf" feature will return? It was there when the site first switched from torey pines and I thought it was the coolest part.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

I understand the want to link quizbowldb to Facebook for troll prevention, but as someone who visits this site 10+ hours a week and does not have nor plans on getting a Facebook anytime soon (that grammar sounds really wierd, but I'm too bad at grammar to tell what's right), is there any chance of this being google account integrated? Also, is there any timeframe at all for when multiplayer will go up? Does "a while " mean 3 months? 6 months? A year?

"And neither uses Facebook nor plans to begin using it anytime soon" --Mgmt
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-