LSU

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
tiwonge
Yuna

LSU

Post by tiwonge »

Is there a team at LSU? I didn't see them listed for the southeast SCT.

One of the TVSMC students here will be going to LSU next year and wanted to continue playing. I assumed there would be a team, but didn't see them listed for the SCT. (He said that during a visit to campus, somebody said something about how there is a team, but only the Honors College can play quiz bowl, or something. That strikes me as odd, or possibly as not knowing what they're talking about.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
nadph
Rikku

Re: LSU

Post by nadph »

This thread (specifically this post) discussing the LSU team alludes to the existence of a "quiz bowl" event run by the Louisiana Collegiate Honors Council (LCHC); perhaps that is what they were referring to? I am not sure if Scott Smith (the most recent LSU contact) is still around, or if he has vanished into the ether.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nadph wrote:This thread (specifically this post) discussing the LSU team alludes to the existence of a "quiz bowl" event run by the Louisiana Collegiate Honors Council (LCHC); perhaps that is what they were referring to? I am not sure if Scott Smith (the most recent LSU contact) is still around, or if he has vanished into the ether.
I hope not, because Scott and the LSU team are hosting the Louisiana NAQT state championship on April 14th.

The LCHC indeed runs a March quizbowl event involving various honors colleges from around Louisiana; this has usually used an A-series set because most of the players involved have no experience of pyramidal quizbowl. None of these schools should be limiting SCT participation to just students from the honors college; if that somehow turns out to be the case, please let us know and we'll write to the parties involved.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

LSU has sent a team to a couple of events in the Southeast this season (ACF Fall at Alabama, and the Delta Burke mirror at Tulane). Since they came to ACF Fall here, someone at Alabama presumably has contact info for someone at LSU; I'll try to find out.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Since Scott is the contact for the NAQT State tournament in Lousiana his email can be found through NAQT's website.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Scott is still there/their team exists.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

bt_green_warbler wrote:None of these schools should be limiting SCT participation to just students from the honors college;
I don't believe this is happening. In my experience with the LCHC, these schools (outside of ULL) are generally unaware of the larger circuit.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

tiwonge wrote:(He said that during a visit to campus, somebody said something about how there is a team, but only the Honors College can play quiz bowl, or something. That strikes me as odd, or possibly as not knowing what they're talking about.)
I can almost certainly guarantee that he's referring to the LCHC quiz bowl competition (in which you *do* have to be part of LSU's Honors program).

LSU's quiz bowl club is an entirely separate entity.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated