Michigan 2011-12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Re: Michigan 2011-12

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I had just asked because I was considering trying to get bad states to switch to one, but I found out tonight that they've already bought questions for this year. They've promised us that we get to offer suggestions for future years though, so while we might be able to get some minor reforms through now, hopefully we'll be able to make a bigger impression then.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

xpmath wrote:I don't believe so. Tournaments in Michigan seem to predominantly use NAQT, which is why I was so happy when MSU mirrored HFT, although it turned out to be too difficult.

This. Michigan is very IS/HSNCT-centric. It absolutely doesn't help that NSC continues to not be up to par, despite being in Chicago. I'm not sure why that is, but it's always been like that (at least in the last 8-9 years). I'd have to roughly estimate that at this point there has to be close to 80 teams that play good quiz bowl. There's definitely room for more tournaments in this market).
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Pszczew wrote:NSC continues to not be up to par
What does that mean?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:
Pszczew wrote:NSC continues to not be up to par
What does that mean?
I'm pretty sure he means that Michigan's NSC attendance is much less than Michigan's HSNCT attendance, which is unfortunate given that NSC in the past 2 years has been much closer geographically than HSNCT for Michigan teams.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Is michigan sending a team to NASAT?
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

TheBulgarSlayer wrote:Is michigan sending a team to NASAT?
As it has been for DCC upperclassmen ever since the tournament's incarnation, this is entirely up to you.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

DrCongo wrote:Our B team can still definitely finish in the top 5 in the state next year but I don't think at this point that we will go 1-2 like we did last year.
Bobby, you were wrong! But seriously, major props to DCC B; they got so much better over the year.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

xpmath wrote:
DrCongo wrote:Our B team can still definitely finish in the top 5 in the state next year but I don't think at this point that we will go 1-2 like we did last year.
Bobby, you were wrong! But seriously, major props to DCC B; they got so much better over the year.
Michigan quiz bowl as a whole is getting a lot better! I think the results from History Bowl and the middle school tournament we held show that more and more schools are getting better at the pyramidal format. I heard rumors that the Michigan State Honors College may switch to HSAPQ within the next couple years; there are some guys on MSU's team who are pressing them hard to make a change.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not sure how much pull this will have, but I could serve as a chaperone to any potential Michigan NASAT team (not sure if I could actually transport a team, though).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

So I would be more than willing to schedule and put together a NASAT tryout, does anyone have any idea where we could possibly host it and when? Seeing as we probably wont have that many interested people,we could do it on a Friday if there isnt a free saturday.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I heard rumors that the Michigan State Honors College may switch to HSAPQ within the next couple years; there are some guys on MSU's team who are pressing them hard to make a change.
Yep, there are some folks working on that for next year, and it looks like we might actually persuade the Honors College this time. The KMO questions the Honors College has been getting were not worth the cost at all, and we have had to manually go through and toss out stupid, ambiguous, or wrong questions. I have tried to have as little to do with KMO States as possible, other than helping pick out bad questions (which, if I had my way, would be most of them).
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Amon Goeth wrote:
I heard rumors that the Michigan State Honors College may switch to HSAPQ within the next couple years; there are some guys on MSU's team who are pressing them hard to make a change.
Yep, there are some folks working on that for next year, and it looks like we might actually persuade the Honors College this time. The KMO questions the Honors College has been getting were not worth the cost at all, and we have had to manually go through and toss out stupid, ambiguous, or wrong questions. I have tried to have as little to do with KMO States as possible, other than helping pick out bad questions (which, if I had my way, would be most of them).
So can we expect that there will be little to no questions with "hooks"?
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

What do you mean by hooks?
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Cheynem wrote:I'm not sure how much pull this will have, but I could serve as a chaperone to any potential Michigan NASAT team (not sure if I could actually transport a team, though).
There should be some contingent of U of M players going down to staff this, so we could help chaperone as well.
TheBulgarSlayer wrote:So I would be more than willing to schedule and put together a NASAT tryout, does anyone have any idea where we could possibly host it and when? Seeing as we probably wont have that many interested people,we could do it on a Friday if there isnt a free saturday.
If the interest is small enough, we can host tryouts in our small practice room at U of M. Contact me at bryanbe AT umich DOT edu for details.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Amon Goeth wrote:What do you mean by hooks?
The treaty of Aix La Chapelle ended the war of succesion in a country, what country was it?
Collin Parks

Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

TheBulgarSlayer wrote:
Amon Goeth wrote:What do you mean by hooks?
The treaty of Aix La Chapelle ended the war of succesion in a country, what country was it?
That's basically every question in the whole tournament. And that kind of question survives, because there are much worse questions in those sets.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Not that people care too much, but, for the record, at KMO states today, DCC beat Holland in the first game of the class A final, which Holland had entered by beating UD Jesuit. Utica got fourth. In class B, DCD beat West Catholic in the finals, with St. Joseph taking third, and in class C/D, Hillsdale beat Hackett CC twice in the finals to win.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Walnut Hills High School '11
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Ok, so as of now, the people who want to go to NASAT are myself, Paul hamilton, and maybe Brandon Roach and Jimmy Haubert from DCC. Sid from DCD said he wanted to go, but I have no idea on everyone else in the state. With that limited number of people, are tryouts really needed?
Collin Parks

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Once you guys get things figured out, let me know.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

For anyone who missed this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13013
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

So I really want to register for us for NASAT. Please, if you want to go, message me or Email me. Right now I have
Myself
Paul Hamilton from DCC (possibly)
Sid Dogra from DCD
Jimmy Haubert from DCC (possibly)

So we need someone for science
Collin Parks

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

something ambiguous wrote:So I really want to register for us for NASAT. Please, if you want to go, message me or Email me. Right now I have
Myself
Paul Hamilton from DCC (possibly)
Sid Dogra from DCD
Jimmy Haubert from DCC (possibly)

So we need someone for science
So Brandon Roach has confirmed with me, so we have a science player. Paul Hamilton says he should be able to, but Sid has told me he might not now, so we need a lit player. Hopefully Sid can go, so it's not the DCC show.
Collin Parks

Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

http://www.qunlimited.com/chsched11.htm

I see that (from Michigan) Berrien Springs, UD Jesuit, Jackson Christian, Carson City-Crystal, and the White Cloud JV team are participating in :chip: 's Chicago leg next weekend.
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Did this Michigan NASAT team ever officially register?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Nope!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

They should! If they need transport, they should talk to me too.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

I'm waiting on confirmation from one more kid. My application will be sent in soon.
Collin Parks