VHSL States

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Madoc
Lulu

VHSL States

Post by Madoc »

Can we get a prediction thread going? I'm pretty out of the loop for high school-level play now, but I'd like to hear who's coming up and who's gone down.
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Re: VHSL States

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Christiansburg is way, way up in AA. I haven't seen Charlottesville at all this year, so I'm probably biased, but I'd place them as the favorite.

Based on the Morlan rankings, I think TJ is probablyfavored over Maggie Walker this year.

As for A, I've got no idea. Radford?
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

From having seen both teams play, TJ is a vastly superior team to Maggie Walker this year, enough so that I think it is extremely unlikely that they won't win AAA.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
NKBoughner
Lulu

Post by NKBoughner »

I haven't seen Charlottesville at all this year, but have heard they are particularly weaker this season. We, New Kent, played Christiansburg at CSI and lost by about 100 points, and Cave Spring has played them extremely close every time they have matched up, though I'm not sure as to who won their district tournament. We have grown exponentially over the season due to three of us being first-year starters, and expect to be in the mix on the 25th.
Nathaniel Boughner
New Kent HS 2013
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Christiansburg went undefeated through the regular season and at the River Ridge District tournament. During the regular season, they won a 10 point match against Cave Spring on a sudden death overtime question, and won a 5 point match against Blacksburg in which they clinched by going up 15 on the penultimate toss-up. They did lose a VHSL match to Cave Spring at our fall kickoff tournament. At the district tournament Christiansburg beat Cave Spring twice, but I did not catch those scores. As their close calls indicate, for any given match they can be beat, but the odds are probably in their favor to win it all. Matt from Cburg finish second at TANKBATTLE playing solo, and his teammates only help them improve. They are indeed quite formidable. The Region IV tournament is this Saturday. Christiansburg, Cave Spring, and Blacksburg represent the River Ridge District. I will post results when we get back.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Carolus Magnus wrote:Can we get a prediction thread going? I'm pretty out of the loop for high school-level play now, but I'd like to hear who's coming up and who's gone down.
AAA is TJ. Maggie is hurting this year but they got some young talent who'll be killers next year. A... eh? George Mason? Are they still around? Nandua seems to be hitting up more tournaments on the circuit this year to give themselves a better chance and so is Honaker.

AA is always a crapshoot. I'm going to say that some team from Virginia will win it. Narrowing it down further, I say a team from Region IV will win it all. Matt is a fantastic player and he's got some support on his team but he's not unbeatable. Besides, it's hard to say what's going on in AA beyond this region asides from the occasional post from Lisa Giles on FB. For example, Western Ablemarle beat Charlottesville in their district tournament andI remember Western Ablemarle being pretty good last year when they handed us a loss.
mithokie wrote:At the district tournament Christiansburg beat Cave Spring twice, but I did not catch those scores. As their close calls indicate, for any given match they can be beat, but the odds are probably in their favor to win it all..
VHSL River Ridge District Results

Round 1
HV 195 - Salem 150
Blacksburg 280 - Pulaski County 160

Round 2
Christiansburg 350 - HV 95
Cave Spring 305 - Blacksburg 160

Round 3
HV 340 - Pulaski 65 [Pulaski eliminated]
Blacksburg 270 - Salem 130 [Salem eliminated]

Round 4
Christiansburg 270 - Cave Spring 185
Blacksburg 270 - HV 135 [Hidden Valley eliminated]

Round 5
Cave Spring 290 - Blacksburg 150 [Blacksburg eliminated in 3rd]

Round 6
Christiansburg 255 - Cave Spring 205 [Cave Spring eliminated in 2nd]
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

George Mason graduated Asher and their second best player I believe, so I doubt that they will be contenders, although it is possible if no other team steps up. I don't think that they've showed up to any non-VHSL tournaments, which lends credence to the belief that they've graduated those members, as they were the reason why the team went to stuff, according to their coach.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Smuttynose Island wrote:George Mason graduated Asher and their second best player I believe, so I doubt that they will be contenders, although it is possible if no other team steps up. I don't think that they've showed up to any non-VHSL tournaments, which lends credence to the belief that they've graduated those members, as they were the reason why the team went to stuff, according to their coach.
That's really a shame. They were a great group of guys that i talked to a couple times, and their coach seems to be knowledgeable and cares about quizbowl. Why would they stop attending events? Maybe TJ can get them to come to their (third!) tournament in March.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
NKBoughner
Lulu

Post by NKBoughner »

Qualifiers from Region IV? We play the no. 2 from that region first round at states, just wondering whether that will be Cave Spring or Christiansburg
Nathaniel Boughner
New Kent HS 2013
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

NKBoughner wrote:Qualifiers from Region IV? We play the no. 2 from that region first round at states, just wondering whether that will be Cave Spring or Christiansburg
Pretty sure that I heard that Cave Spring won that regional with Christiansburg in second.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Western Albemarle won two to win Region II. Woodgrove was second, Charlottesville was third.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Smuttynose Island wrote:George Mason graduated Asher and their second best player I believe, so I doubt that they will be contenders, although it is possible if no other team steps up. I don't think that they've showed up to any non-VHSL tournaments, which lends credence to the belief that they've graduated those members, as they were the reason why the team went to stuff, according to their coach.
They have qualified for the state tournament again, despite finishing third in the Bull Run District regular season. Mason finished 4-0 at the district tournament and then 4-0 at the Region B tournament, scoring 330 and over in the last three matches. I think they're playing 3 seniors and 1 junior (who leads the pack in scoring), so while Asher and the gang graduated, they've rebuilt fairly quickly since the fall and should still be contending for the single-A title.
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
DHBobcat
Kimahri

Post by DHBobcat »

I go to Radford, and our Region C tournament was postponed until Monday due to inclement weather where it is being hosted.

I think this is our strongest team since I started in '10, but our competition usually isn't truly difficult until the state competition so I do not know how we will fare against stiffer teams. Our expectations are to sweep the region tournament, and I think that we are good enough to do it this year (The past two years we have gotten behind early and had to beat the runner-up twice so we could win).
Daniel Hawke
Radford High School '13
Longstride
Lulu

Post by Longstride »

What is VHSL States like, tournament-wise? Is it round-robin or elimination?
Venu Katta
Clover Hill High School '13
College of William & Mary '17

"Having hit a wall, the next logical step is to not bang our heads against it." - Stephen Harper
Charlie and Lolcat
Lulu

Post by Charlie and Lolcat »

VHSL States is Double-elimination.

Also, Maggie Walker and Clover Hill advance to AAA from the Central Region.
Dave Porter
Douglas Freeman (2002-2005 as a player, 2006-2010 as staffer discount; 2010-2014 as volunteer consultant/assistant coach)
Freelance Trash player (2008-present)
Perennial VHSL Staffer (Conference 11 and Region 5A South)
DHBobcat
Kimahri

Post by DHBobcat »

Radford (us) and Bath County will advance from Region C

The final match was 275 to 105, with Radford winning.
Daniel Hawke
Radford High School '13
NKBoughner
Lulu

Post by NKBoughner »

Any predictions with this only a week away? It's difficult not to think TJ, being as strong they are this year, will beat Maggie Walker, though under the VHSL format you never know what can happen. In AA, Cave Spring seems to have a relatively easy road to the semifinals, while the round 1 winner of New Kent and Christiansburg is likely gonna wind up facing Cave Spring. I can't really predict any farther in AA, considering that even though Moshzilla and Cave Spring are very strong, I have to think that we will win. In terms of A, seeing that George Mason was scoring over 300 at regions means they're probably once again going to win. Even if Radford is better this year, it's hard to pick against George Mason in A.
Nathaniel Boughner
New Kent HS 2013
DHBobcat
Kimahri

Post by DHBobcat »

Didn't know George Mason had been scoring that much. Well, then they should be great competition. Looking forward to it. :cool:
Daniel Hawke
Radford High School '13
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

For any interested parties who didn't see the tweets, the winners of this tournament were George Mason taking their sixth title in A, Cave Spring winning for the first time in AA, and Thomas Jefferson winning for the tenth time in AAA.

Watchers of the larger quizbowl scene will note that if TJ wins the NAQT state tournament on March 24 at UVa, they will even the all-time combined state title series with Maggie Walker at 13 apiece.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org