Organizing a League in SE Michigan

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MagisterBreen
Kimahri

Organizing a League in SE Michigan

Post by MagisterBreen »

I'm coaching a new quiz bowl team at Divine Child High School in Dearborn. When I first started the team and inquired about local leagues, I discovered that the only league in SE Michigan has no spots for new members. When I was playing quiz bowl in high school, league play was an important part of our team's slate of events, and I would love for my team here to be a part of one, even if that means starting one from scratch. Of course, as a first-year teacher as well, I've also been absolutely swamped with other things. Still, especially seeing several other new and seemingly unaligned teams in the area, I just wanted to gauge the interest level in something like this. So let me know!
John Breen <><
Divine Child High School (Dearborn, MI)
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Re: Organizing a League in SE Michigan

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

I don't know much about the current league or who runs it, but they should strongly consider expanding. If you do start a league with a completely separate group of teams, that same NAQT set would be available. Otherwise, HSAPQ has sets that are unused in Michigan available for League use.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Rick
Lulu

Post by Rick »

My school is a part of the league in question. I'm not exactly sure why we don't expand, but I'll venture to guess. As it is, we have 14 teams, and have quite a full schedule. Adding more teams might lead to problems with hosting, staffing, money, scheduling, or sets. As I said, I haven't really looked into it, but those seem like likely reasons.
Patrick Murray
Harry S Truman HS '13
MagisterBreen
Kimahri

Post by MagisterBreen »

I have no problem with the current league not wanting to expand for whatever reason; I just want to be part of one, so I was wondering if any other unaligned teams in the area would be interested in this. It's hard to believe that there aren't enough teams in SE Michigan to have more than one conference...
John Breen <><
Divine Child High School (Dearborn, MI)