ACF Regionals at Georgia Tech(2/18)

Old college threads.
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

ACF Regionals at Georgia Tech(2/18)

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

This is a short announcement for the ACF Regionals Mirror at Georgia Tech on February 18th. Details about location and other logistics will be forthcoming.

The remaining packet deadlines are:
January 8, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 22, 2012: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
January 29, 2012: +$25
February 5, 2012: +$50

Any team with at least one person who played college Quizbowl prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet. Packets should be emailed to Trevor Davis ([email protected]) by 11:59 PM PST and include "ACF Regionals packet" and the name of your school in the subject line. Information about packet submission can be found at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packe ... uidelines/

I'll be taking registrations at [email protected]

Field:
South Carolina 1
UCF 1
Stetson 1
Alabama 1
House 0-2
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals at Georgia Tech(2/18)

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Is there any info on base fees and discounts?
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:Is there any info on base fees and discounts?
The base fees and discounts are the standard ACF ones. $120 base fee, -$5 per working buzzer system, -$10 per staffer, -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way, and etc. All of this information and more can be found at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packe ... ines/#fees
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Auron

Thanks!
Eric D.
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Can we get a field update?
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
crimsonscholar
Lulu

Post by crimsonscholar »

Put down the University of Alabama for 1 team.
Jonathan Thompson
University of Alabama '08 and '15

Quiz bowling.
lukejf01
Lulu

Post by lukejf01 »

I know Stetson is looking forward to this event
Luke Ford
Stetson University 2015
Founder/Overlord, Stetson Quiz Bowl
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

If I spotlight as UAH for this event (Alabama is apparently having travel issues according to posts on the Facebook group) would I be able to claim the solo discount as well as New to ACF and Travel?

Better yet, if me playing as UAH turns out to be the case, would I still be able to play with Alabama for MUT and what not or will that be TD discretion?
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:If I spotlight as UAH for this event (Alabama is apparently having travel issues according to posts on the Facebook group) would I be able to claim the solo discount as well as New to ACF and Travel?

Better yet, if me playing as UAH turns out to be the case, would I still be able to play with Alabama for MUT and what not or will that be TD discretion?
You could get a shorthanded discount(if you were paying out of pocket) and maybe a travel discount, but the new to ACF discount doesn't work like that. You' personally have played an ACF tournament before the start of this year http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... detail/#t9 so the discount cannot apply to any team you are on.

You would have to talk to the editors and TDs of MUT for an answer to your second question.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Alright I was unsure, thanks for the clarification Will. I will indeed be paying out of my own pocket. If Alabama doesn't come count me in as UA-Huntsville. I requested and got off the 18th, what better way to spend it than with Quizbowl!
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:Any team with at least one person who played college Quizbowl prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet.
I think UA-Huntsville might have forgotten to submit its packet, perhaps? I don't see their name on the packet submission list.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:
The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:Any team with at least one person who played college Quizbowl prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet.
I think UA-Huntsville might have forgotten to submit its packet, perhaps? I don't see their name on the packet submission list.
UA-Huntsville didn't know they were even going to "play" any tournaments this year. Until yesterday I assumed Alabama was going to the tournament. If anyone had contacted me saying "Hey write (insert distribution here) for our packet" I would have been more than happy to do so. As usual, Alabama's logistics/organization suck once again. If I had more time than just a few days before the tournament I probably could write a packet, albeit one that isn't very good and that would've probably incurred a crapton of packet penalties. If for some reason this does bar me from playing in Regionals, so be it, I can't afford to pay a fee for not submitting my packet on time in addition to the actual entry fee for the tournament. I'll still be coming to Atlanta anyway because I've made additional plans, so if staff is needed I could do possibly do that.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:
Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:
UA-Huntsville didn't know they were even going to "play" any tournaments this year. Until yesterday I assumed Alabama was going to the tournament. If anyone had contacted me saying "Hey write (insert distribution here) for our packet" I would have been more than happy to do so. As usual, Alabama's logistics/organization suck once again. If I had more time than just a few days before the tournament I probably could write a packet, albeit one that isn't very good and that would've probably incurred a crapton of packet penalties. If for some reason this does bar me from playing in Regionals, so be it, I can't afford to pay a fee for not submitting my packet on time in addition to the actual entry fee for the tournament. I'll still be coming to Atlanta anyway because I've made additional plans, so if staff is needed I could do possibly do that.
Alabama is still going to ACF Regionals and never planned not to go to ACF Regionals. Why would we not go to the tournament if we turned our packet in before the deadline? Our logistics did not suck at all with regards to packet writing - Alabama A wrote the packet with the intention of playing ACF Regionals together and that's what we intend do. Getting a packet in on time does not count as sucky organization.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
MickeySizemore
Kimahri

Post by MickeySizemore »

UCF is going to bring one team to this tournament. We assume that play will take place on campus, but we don't know which building to go to, or which parking lot to use. Also, do you need any more buzzer systems? We have two, but we're not sure if you're all set or not. Thanks!
McKinnie Sizemore

PHCC Brain Bowl 2009-2011
UCF Quiz Bowl 2011-Present
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

MickeySizemore wrote:UCF is going to bring one team to this tournament. We assume that play will take place on campus, but we don't know which building to go to, or which parking lot to use. Also, do you need any more buzzer systems? We have two, but we're not sure if you're all set or not. Thanks!
We are meeting at the Instructional Center, there are several parking lots near there where you can park on the Weekends for free. Buzzer systems are always nice. I'll be sending out an email to all the teams with the final details on Thursday.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Unfortunately Auburn is not going to be able to make this tournament.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
MickeySizemore
Kimahri

Post by MickeySizemore »

How many rounds are we looking to play?
McKinnie Sizemore

PHCC Brain Bowl 2009-2011
UCF Quiz Bowl 2011-Present
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

MickeySizemore wrote:How many rounds are we looking to play?
If the field remains constant we will have 4 outside teams + 2 house teams, so we will most likely run a double round robin giving us a 10 game schedule + finals.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Auron

Has the e-mail with the final info been sent out yet? One of our team members is driving separately and needs all of the relevant info (registration times/meeting room number/etc.) very soon. Please contact me at [email protected] ASAP. Thanks!

Got it. Thanks!
Eric D.
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Alabama went 9-1 to win the tournament. Stats are up
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Thanks to Will and to Georgia Tech for a well-run tournament, even if the field was pretty disappointingly small. I think this may be the only tournament I've played where everything was done by 1700h...
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
Auron

Congratulations to Alabama for winning. This tournament had a lot of parity, and I read for several very close matches. A bigger field would've been nice, but I was impressed with the attitude and play of the teams that played.
Eric D.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:Congratulations to Alabama for winning. This tournament had a lot of parity, and I read for several very close matches. A bigger field would've been nice, but I was impressed with the attitude and play of the teams that played.
Thanks, we had lots of fun. Special thanks to Will, Eric, and Bryn for reading. Easily the gutsiest performance of my whole career.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired