ACF Regionals at GWU

Old college threads.

ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:39 pm

The George Washington University will be hosting ACF Regionals for the Mid-Atlantic region on February 18, 2012.

Location
The tournament will be held in Monroe Hall (#52 on the attached map; at the corner of 21st and G St. NW). The meeting room for the tournament will be Monroe B32

Times
Registration for teams will be from 7:45 until 8:15. We realize that this is rather early, but we have a very hard cap on when we are allowed to be in the rooms that we have booked. You must be registered by 8:15, so we can go through the logistics of the day and we will start the first round at 8:30. We will have invoices available the day of the tournament for any team upon request. If you get lost on the way here or are going to be late you can contact me at (732) 284-1283. We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.


Fees
Base Fee: $120/team
Buzzer Discount: $5/buzzer
Staffer Discount: $10/staffer
Laptop Discount: $5/laptop (1 per team, please)
Travel Discount: $10 (per 200 miles, one way)
New to ACF Discount: $25 (per school, not individual players)
New to Quizbowl Discount: $75 (per school, not individual players)

Registration
To register for this tournament, please email us at gwqt {at} gwu {dot} edu. In that email, tell us what discounts you qualify for, if any, and if you will need an invoice. Acceptable methods for payment include check (made out to The George Washington University) or cash.

Packet Submission
According to the rules, every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that this requirement now also applies to eligible high school teams.

Please submit your packets to Trevor Davis (TheBokonon@gmail.com) and include "ACF Regionals packet" and the name of your school in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be submitted by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

The Deadlines
December 26, 2011: -$50
January 8, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 22, 2012: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
January 29, 2012: +$25
February 5, 2012: +$50

Campus Map
A campus map can be found here: http://www.gwu.edu/staticfile/GW/Campus%20Information/Campus%20Maps/foggy-bottom-map-2011.pdf
Last edited by chrislo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 pm

The Field: (as of 2/15/2012)
VCU
Johns Hopkins
Delaware
UVA (2)
George Mason
TJHSST
Penn
UMD (3)

Buzzers
VCU (4)
Delaware (1)
UVA (1)
TJHSST (2)
George Mason
Last edited by chrislo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby The Superfluous Man » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:53 pm

I can staff if you need me; let me know.

EDIT: Change of plans, looks like I won't be able to come, sorry.
Last edited by The Superfluous Man on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Rosenberg
Brown University '11
UIUC '14
User avatar
The Superfluous Man
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Urbana, IL

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby magin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Der Rosenbergkavalier wrote:I can staff if you need me; let me know.

Likewise.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF
User avatar
magin
iceman of Andean tears
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: College Park, MD

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Ras superfamily » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Penn is going to this
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
mason high on your treacherous scaffolding
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 pm

TheCopleyIndian wrote:Penn is going to this

How many teams will you be sending/are there any discounts you qualify for?
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Ras superfamily » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm

1 team, 0 discounts
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
mason high on your treacherous scaffolding
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby nvijay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.
Neeraj Vijay, George Mason 2009-2013, Charter School of Wilmington 2005-2009
User avatar
nvijay
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm

nvijay wrote:Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.


If you park in the Marvin Center (H & 21st Streets) or Academic Center Garages (801 22nd Street NW) the maximum daily charge on the weekend is $11, as long as you're out before midnight.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Duncan Idaho » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm

nvijay wrote:Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.

... or we could take the first bye.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
User avatar
Duncan Idaho
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Duncan Idaho wrote:
nvijay wrote:Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.

... or we could take the first bye.


I can't guarantee that right now.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby nvijay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:35 pm

So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?
EDIT: I completely did not see the post about the parking being $11 in the garages, although i guess parking would not be guaranteed. I would appreciate some sort of a decision about the first bye though, as that will help us make a decision about whether to take the metro or drive.
Neeraj Vijay, George Mason 2009-2013, Charter School of Wilmington 2005-2009
User avatar
nvijay
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:44 pm

nvijay wrote:So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?


If you park in one of those garages, you'll be fine. I can't get any resolution on the bye until I know for sure what order the packets are going to be in.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Cheynem » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:58 pm

There isn't really any order--as the TD you can order them in any way you like, provided it makes sense with the teams there.
Mike Cheyne
"He has a PhD in SUBURBAN STUDIES!"--Marshall Steinbaum
I'm a Bo-Liever
University of Minnesota
User avatar
Cheynem
Forums Staff: Moderator
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Minneapolis, Moneysota

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Papa's in the House » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:06 pm

chrislo wrote:
nvijay wrote:So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?


If you park in one of those garages, you'll be fine. I can't get any resolution on the bye until I know for sure what order the packets are going to be in.

Look, you can give them the first round bye and read really whatever blind packet you want in the first round (so long as they didn't submit a packet, in which case you read their packet first).
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
User avatar
Papa's in the House
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Matt Weiner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 pm

chrislo wrote:Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.


In your e-mail of four days ago, you wrote:

We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.


so VCU planned to get up really early and get to Springfield in time to take the Metro (also not knowing we could demand a first-round bye by angrily posting about it or calling in Charles Martin to caterwaul on our behalf).

Can somebody give a definitive answer at this late date, fourteen hours and change before the tournament, as to whether parking will be available, so that I can consult with VCU as to when we need to leave, sometime before the time when people need to go to sleep if they're going to get up at 4 AM?
Matt Weiner
VCU / ACF / PACE / HSAPQ / Owner & founder of hsquizbowl.org
User avatar
Matt Weiner
Forums Staff: Administrator
 
Posts: 7841
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:
chrislo wrote:Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.


In your e-mail of four days ago, you wrote:

We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.


so VCU planned to get up really early and get to Springfield in time to take the Metro (also not knowing we could demand a first-round bye by angrily posting about it or calling in Charles Martin to caterwaul on our behalf).

Can somebody give a definitive answer at this late date, fourteen hours and change before the tournament, as to whether parking will be available, so that I can consult with VCU as to when we need to leave, sometime before the time when people need to go to sleep if they're going to get up at 4 AM?


I was being a tad overly cautious, because while there should be parking it definitely would not be free and one doesn't know what will happen. There are several parking garages, some of which are from GW, others of which are not. If you're going to drive, you should be able to find parking. It will cost money, however.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby nvijay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 pm

We will be driving then.
Neeraj Vijay, George Mason 2009-2013, Charter School of Wilmington 2005-2009
User avatar
nvijay
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Strange Fascination » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:57 pm

UMD A and UVA A are in a one-game final after both going 9-1.

Edit: UMD takes it 400-260

Chris will post stats et al. in the very near future
Raynell Cooper
George Washington University (Washington, DC) Class of 2015
Richard Montgomery High School (Rockville, MD) Class of 2011
Arcadia Elementary School (Toledo, OR) Class of 2004 (We're counting KMO, right? It'd be auk-ward if I didn't include my elementary school KMO team)
Assistant Director, National History Bee and Bowl
Strange Fascination
iceman of Andean tears
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: MD//DC

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Stats for the tournament can be found here:
http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/89 ... all_games/

**Full disclosure: The player stats for the final round (tossups, negs, etc) for some reason the final round data didn't save in the final and therefore only the scores for that round exist. I am very sorry for this mistake.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Vernon Lee Bad Marriage, Jr. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

My statline is switched with Daniel's in our game against our B team. Also, Maryland and our team are both listed as getting 0 tossups in the finals.

Thanks for posting it promptly, though.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14
User avatar
Vernon Lee Bad Marriage, Jr.
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Cody » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Mine and Sean's stats are switched our Round 1 game against UMD A.
Cody Voight – CBGS '09, VCU '14. HSAPQ Science Editor.
Quizbowl at VCU Facebook page
User avatar
Cody
iceman of Andean tears
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Richmond

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby sabine01 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Cernel Joson wrote: Also, Maryland and our team are both listed as getting 0 tossups in the finals.


I did take individual stats for the finals on paper (edit due to a later thought: finals team stats should be with it). Do y'all still have that sheet, Chris?

~TG~
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
User avatar
sabine01
Forums Staff: Moderator
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 pm
Location: Takoma Park, MD

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby Frater Taciturnus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 am

The idea of a 200 tossup game between TJ and Delaware sure goes a long way towards explaining the delays in the tournament, which ultimately were not as bad as feared.
George Berry
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
PACE
NAQT "writer"
User avatar
Frater Taciturnus
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Postby chrislo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 pm

The edited report: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/89 ... standings/

Thanks to everyone who helped with missing data/errors in the first posting!
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-present)
chrislo
potter wasted among his clays
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm


Return to College area archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ukonvasara and 1 guest