RESCHEDULED: THE SJHS MIRROR OF GSAC XIX, SUNDAY 2/12/12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

RESCHEDULED: THE SJHS MIRROR OF GSAC XIX, SUNDAY 2/12/12

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph High School is pleased to announce its 2nd iteration of the GARDEN STATE ACADEMIC COMPETITION, a Mirror of GSAC XIX.

The Set:The Question Set was written by the distinguished members of the Maggie Walker Governor's School of Richmond, Virginia.

Set Distribution:4/4 Lit; 4/4 Science; 4/4 History; 3/3 RMP; 2/2 Arts; 1/1 Social Science; 1/1 Geography; 1/1 Trash.

Fee Structure: $70.00 for the first team; $50.00 for each additional team.

Discounts:$10 for each working buzzer system; $15.00 for each moderator; $20 for travel of more than 150 miles. Minimum payment per team: $35.00.

Tournament Format: We are targeting 24 teams, or 30 if we can reach this multiple of 6, otherwise we will cap it at 24 . We will have round robin preliminaries, then re-bracket and have another round-robin for all teams in the afternoon. We hope to have a minimum of 9-10 games per team.

Registration:You can register right here, or you can email me at [email protected]. Just place "GSAC" in the subject line. On the day of the tournament, we will run registration from 7:45-8:45 AM and start Round 1 by 9 AM. During registration we will have a light breakfast of bagels and juice, etc., while we finalize brackets. Also, we have ample parking in the back of our school if this is a concern, and you can park behind our main building and enter the school via the cafeteria in the back, which you cannot miss. Payment is expected in cash or by check the morning of registration, but if you wish to mail it sooner, you can make your check payable to Saint Joseph High School and send it to : Ed Powers, Saint Joseph HS, 145 Plainfield Avenue, Metuchen, NJ 08840. You can also place this address in your GPS device or your Mapquest program and find us easily.
Field Update: (22 Teams, 12 Buzzers, 10 Moderators):

Irvington (3, 2, 0)
Hunter (4, 0, 0)
High Tech (3, 1, 0)
Millburn (3, 1, 0)
Chatham (1, 2, 0)
Scarsdale (1, 1, 0)
Wissahickon (2, 0, 0)
Glen Rock ( 2, 0, 0)
Ridgewood ( 1, 2, 1)
St. Joes House teams (2, 3, 9)
Last edited by Edward Powers on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: RESCHEDULED: THE SJHS MIRROR OF GSAC XIX, SUNDAY 2/12/12

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Put Ardsley down for a team and a buzzer system.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Irvington will be in attendance with at least one team (2 teams very likely though) and 3 buzzer systems. We probably won't be able to bring our coach though, or any moderators, hopefully that won't be a problem, though.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter will have 3-4 teams.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

BCA might be there. Since the trip was already approved by the requisite powers-that-be, that doesn't appear like it would stand in the way. I'll poll the students as I see them.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

High Tech would like to register with 3 teams, 1 buzzer, and 0 moderators.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped for a field update and to remind everyone that this is less than 2 weeks away. So, please consider joining us. There is still a great deal of room for teams, and it is an excellent set of questions. Also, if any registrants, current or future, have extra buzzers, please bring them!

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Irvington will be a definite 2 teams, so the "1-2" can be changed to a 2.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter will have 4 teams.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
etakuyak
Lulu

Post by etakuyak »

Scarsdale is interested in bringing (1, 1, 0). Not confirmed yet though.
Evan Kratzer

Scarsdale HS '12
Princeton '16
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Sorry, Ed, we weren't able to drum up enough interest for the rescheduled date.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
etakuyak
Lulu

Post by etakuyak »

Scarsdale can definitely bring (1, 1, 0).

Note: User was reminded to activate his signature. - Staff
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

There was a surprisingly large amount of interest from the team, so Irvington will have (3,3,0)

- I am not sure, but our adviser may have already paid you for the first two teams, if that is the case (or even if it isn't) the 3rd team's entry will be payed for by the team, not the school.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Two schools---Ridgewood and Glen Rock---have indicated interest but have not yet confirmed anything. I have now placed them on the waiting list because we might already have 18 teams, and this is probably the max I can officially register because of a potential moderator shortage if I allow more teams to register. Ideally, I would like to have a field of 24, and even 30 if I could secure sufficient moderators, and if I do, I will re-open the field. For example, if some of the SJHS alumni I normally count on commit to help, I can reopen the field, or, if some schools that have registered offer to help with some readers, I can also do so. But for now prudence counsels that I close the field at 18, and since 3 registered schools might add 1 team to the 15 already committed, we might already be at 18. Of course, if any of those 3 teams knows they will not be bringing the extra team that they thought they might, then I can move teams off of the waiting list and into the field.

EDIT: Chatham dropped one team and Glen Rock confirmed two, bringing the count to 18 definite. Since Wssahickon is unsure about a B team and Ridgewood has not fully committed, those two teams are now on the waitlist. Hopefully, I can add them if I can get sufficient moderators ( I am working on this) and if they, of course, commit to playing.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Ridgewood can commit 1 team at this time, and quite likely bring a kid to moderate if needed. If that leaves us at an odd number, I'll scramble and see if we can get a second team.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

David,

As indicated in a PM I sent to you, if the "kid" you send is a competent moderator, I can add one Ridgewood team to bring the field to 19, which would allow Wissahickon, also on the waiting list with Ridgewood, to bring its B team to make an even field of 20. If Wissahickon does not, then SJHS can field part of a USA Team along with several extra Ridgewood players if you bring a few extra. This is the best I can do given the constraints on my moderating situation.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

I'll let you know our status for sure by this evening once the "kids" get home and dash on to the RHSQB facebook page to respond.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It turns out that Wissahickon can bring its B team, so if Ridgewood registers its A team AND sends a competent moderator, then the field will expand to and close at 20 teams. If Ridgewood does not join, I may or may not be able to allow Wissahickon B into the field along with a SJHS House team to balance Wissahickon B's addition, since I might not have the extra moderator needed to do this. So, these two teams should stay tuned over the next day or two. My aim is to allow them in, but not without the needed moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Mr. Powers, we can definitely bring a moderator. I hope to see you there!
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Excellent. We will see Ridgewood and Wissahickon B added to the the field, plus two 2 man House teams to bring the Field to 22, in order to reduce the number of byes in the prelims.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Some people from my team were wondering, for transportation reasons, and I am sure it would not hurt for other teams to hear the answer - do you have an estimate as to at what time this tournament will conclude?
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Probably around the same time most such 10+ round tournaments end---sometime between 5 & 6 PM.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Probably around the same time most such 10+ round tournaments end---sometime between 5 & 6 PM.
Will the tournament be 10 rounds for all teams or will it be dependent on how far the team goes? (in other words will it be single elimination with no additional games being played after elimination?)
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Will the tournament be 10 rounds for all teams or will it be dependent on how far the team goes? (in other words will it be single elimination with no additional games being played after elimination?)
The initial announcement at the top of the thread wrote:We will have round robin preliminaries, then re-bracket and have another round-robin for all teams in the afternoon. We hope to have a minimum of 9-10 games per team.
whoo reading is fun
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
etakuyak
Lulu

Post by etakuyak »

Scarsdale is not going to be able to bring a buzzer system since we were supposed to pick them up today at a tournament that was snowed out. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Evan Kratzer

Scarsdale HS '12
Princeton '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Final Stats for the SJHS MIRROR of GSAC XIX:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

EDIT: This was an excellent tournament with some outstanding teams in attendance. Hunter A, even with one of its A players unable to attend, was nevertheless the class of the field, going 10-0 and clearing the field by 2 full games. It did so by defeating a very gifted and 8-1 High Tech Team in the 10th round of the day. Had High Tech won, it would have forced a winner-take all playoff match with Hunter A, but it was not to be. Still, it finished tied for 2nd with Hunter B, and posted some tremendous PPB stats. Meanwhile, Wissahickon A was the tough luck team of the tournament, while still playing excellently overall against consistently tough opposition. Four of its five losses came down to the last or next to last TU of each match, and it gave Hunter A its two most competitive matches of the day. Hunter C had the "upset" of the day by defeating an up until then undefeated High Tech, and Hunter B's only losses in an otherwise stellar day came at the hands of Hunter A & High Tech A. And, it should be noted that every team in the Championship "SUN" Bracket had PPB's in excess of 20, so it was clearly a very gifted upper bracket.

In the consloation brackets, High Tech B & C both played extemely well, as did Millburn A after a tough start in the morning. And it should be noted that Freshman Esther Sun finished in the Top 10 scorers for the day, posting a very impressive 40+ ppg for the tournament.

All in all, it seemed to be an enjoyable day for all, and almost everyone I spoke to loved the GSAC XIX Set, so kudos to Maggie Walker once again.

And, before closing, I would be remiss if I did not thank everyone who helped make this a successful tournament. To all of my players who read and scored throughout the day, to the Fathers' Club for making sure that everyone's appetite was sated, to Andrew Ibendahl and Brent Walker for their outstanding help in both SJHS tournaments this year, to my stats persons who made sure stats would go online as quickly as possibe, and, of course, to all of the coaches and players from all of our visiting schools who competed both spiritedly and amicably throughout the day. The friendly interplay between teams during the matches, and the mutual appreciation for excellent buzzes, was evident in virutally every room during every round, so congratulations to one and all for such excellent sportsmanship.

So, a fond and appreciative thank you to everyone for making this such an enjoyable tournament to host.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

I am fairly sure Chatham A did not get 27 TUs in its game against Irvington A.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I am fairly sure you are correct. I will ask one of my students to work on this early this week. And thanks for spotting this error. If anyone else sees what appears to be a mistake in the stats, feel free to let us know, and we will endeavor to make whatever correction seems appropriate.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

deserto wrote:I am fairly sure Chatham A did not get 27 TUs in its game against Irvington A.
Also, in Irvington A's match v. Hunter B, we are marked as having gotten 0 tossups, though I think the final total score is right.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Scarsdale apparently had a 37.78 PPB in their match again Wissahickon B.

edit: Also, a number of players have difference in their morning and afternoon names that throws off the stats. Angela Zhou of High Tech A, Alex Moschetti of Hunter D, Evan Kratzer of Scarsdale A, Osler/Osfer Hansha of Chatham A (not sure what the actual name is), and "Helicopter" Jordan of Wissahickon B all have this situation affecting them.
Last edited by ryanrosenberg on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

It's not a particularly important error, but High Tech C's team members tell me that the last-round (HT C vs. Chatham) stats for Adithya Kannan and Eric Liu were switched. (Eric got 1 tossup, Adithya got 6.)
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks all---all of these reports will be looked into and corrected as soon as possible.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Thanks for the very efficiently run tournament, St. Joe's, and thanks for getting stats up so quickly!

A bunch of teams apparently have bonus points in some games that aren't divisible by 10. That seems kinda fishy. Also, "Marianne" on Hunter B should be Marianna.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
andrewniess
Kimahri

Post by andrewniess »

Wissahickon had a lot of fun today and we'd like to thank St. Joe's for putting on a really well-run tournament.
It's not a big deal, but if you get around to correcting my last name from "Miess" to "Niess" that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Andrew Niess, 12th grade, Wissahickon High School
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

This was a fun tournament to read, with the exception of one bonus and maybe two tossups there weren't any terrible grammatical errors. The set led to quite a few close matches, especially in the middle playoff bracket where 3 of the 5 afternoon rounds in my room went down to the final tossup. The questions were easy enough to be accessible to most players but also had good clues to the point that better teams were able to distinguish themselves. Also, it was refreshing to get through 10 rounds + lunch and be done by 4:30. Overall, a fun day.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Also, in Irvington A's match v. Hunter B, we are marked as having gotten 0 tossups, though I think the final total score is right.
Through some intense attempted deduction, I have the conclusion that i got 3 tossups and so did Sam Donow with 1 neg amongst the team assuming a likely 20.00 ppb. that moves up my score 3.0 ppg (yeah im one of those people, sorry) and Sam's up 2-3 ppg.

On another note, this tournament was a lot of fun, it was very well run as well as competitive.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

All reported errors have been fixed.
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ix_edited/

Apologies are due to Marianna Q and Andrew Neiss.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ