SQBS for Mac available soon

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
bsmith
Tidus

SQBS for Mac available soon

Post by bsmith »

SQBS, with the blessing of Chris Sewell, is currently being developed for Mac OS X. My father has been doing the Windows-to-Mac code conversion and I have been testing the "alpha" (if you can call it that) of the program. Currently, its purpose is to produce the data file and web pages; it won't have the schedule generators found in the Windows version.

I have attached some screen shots. What you may notice first is that everything is consolidated into one window with tabs (rather than having a separate window for rosters, games, reports, etc). First, the tournament setup screen:
TournSetup.jpg
Tournament setup screen
(157.7 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Rosters can be imported, but from scratch, you press the "+" button to make a new team and enter player names. An individual team is currently limited to a maximum of 12 players; does anyone know of a reason why a team needs more than that? Also, options in the "Question Values", "Stat Tracking" and "Bonus Conversion Tracking" may be made uneditable after the first game has been saved; does anyone have a need to edit that information halfway through a tournament?

Next up is the game entry tab:
GameEntry.jpg
Game entry screen
(108.24 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Fields for overtime, lightning round, and bouncebacks will appear when selected in the tournament setup. Tabbing between different fields follows the order that the Windows version uses. "Team Swap" is just there to switch the sides the teams appear on if you need it (eg: when forfeit defaults to the left team winning).

Finally a shot of the reports screen:
Reports.jpg
Quick report screen
(142.51 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Unfortunately, you can't have BOTH a team and individual quick report open at the same time, but switching between the quick reports through the menu was very fast with the larger tournaments I tested on. If you really need it, the "print" button can also save to PDF.

There are still some bugs with save files and altering data, so it's not ready to be released yet. Getting it ready for the SCT weekend is probably too ambitious, but it should be ready sometime in February.

If you are a Mac user and have any requests for features/interface (that wouldn't alter the fundamental data in the SQBS file), please let me know here or contact me through president -AT- onqba.ca . Additionally, we have done all the testing in OS 10.6 - do people need it to cover 10.5 or 10.4 as well?

(Mods: if having picture attachments breaks rules, I can change it to links to a website)
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: SQBS for Mac available soon

Post by dtaylor4 »

As someone who 1) uses a Mac, and 2) does stats a lot, I'd like to test this out.

I'll download this tonight, and see if I can find bugs.

Will the .dat files work across platforms?

EDIT: I misread. I'd still like to test this ASAP.
andrewniess
Kimahri

Post by andrewniess »

This will be very useful when we host our tournament at the end of March. Our team is made up of all Mac-users, so we appreciate the work you're doing. Looking forward to the release!
Andrew Niess, 12th grade, Wissahickon High School
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

andrewniess wrote:This will be very useful when we host our tournament at the end of [February]. Our team is made up of all Mac-users, so we appreciate the work you're doing. Looking forward to the release!
Ditto! Do you have a more precise estimate for when the program will be available?
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

deserto wrote:Ditto! Do you have a more precise estimate for when the program will be available?
I hope to use it when I do stats for a small tournament on Feb 11. If no issues arise after that, it will be made available for general use. This is not a guarantee, though.

Separately, SQBS will be able to run on all Intel Macs, but it cannot run on a PowerPC. Also, will any Mac users need FTP uploads within SQBS, or do most people use either third-party FTP or the HSQB DB?
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I used the most updated version (the one emailed to me two days ago) in a tournament today. There are still issues that need worked out, but I've been providing feedback regarding the program. If you're running a small-ish tournament and want to try it, I recommend emailing Ben and getting in on the testing. The program as it stands works, but more testers would be appreciated.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

The program should be able to run a "normal" tournament (tossups and bonuses) without issues. The user interface is a little different than the Windows version, but hopefully the tabbed format is more compact than the multiple-window style. By default, it saves tournaments with an extension (.qzx), but you can use "Save As" to make the extensionless Windows-compatible version.

Some "new" features compared to the Windows version:
-you can have multiple tournaments open at the same time (this supposedly would help with merging >3 tournaments, but I don't have experience with this and it may still be buggy)
-you can save game entry progress in the middle of entering a game's data
-in tournament setup, you can change the default (4) number of players per side; this allows 2, 3, or 5-player tournaments without needing to correct the GP column each time.
-the round report web page is, by default, checked, and the packet names list allows you to name some packets and leave other rounds blank

There may still be problems if a tournament is not "normal" (ie: lightning rounds, manual bonus entering), but, as with any other bugs, please send feedback so that they can be corrected.

If you would like to have a copy of a beta version (with the awareness that a bug may pop up), send me an email at president -AT- onqba.ca or a private message on this forum with your email address.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Donald sent me his version of this a couple of weeks ago. The interface is wonderful and it looks great, and a huge thanks to Ben for working on this. Unfortunately, my version doesn't save correctly, so when it unexpectedly quits (which is every time I attempt to enter a game ID number), I lose all of my tournament. Is this a universal problem or just something that isn't working for me?

EDIT -- the new version works beautifully.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Kyle wrote:Donald sent me his version of this a couple of weeks ago. The interface is wonderful and it looks great, and a huge thanks to Ben for working on this. Unfortunately, my version doesn't save correctly, so when it unexpectedly quits (which is every time I attempt to enter a game ID number), I lose all of my tournament. Is this a universal problem or just something that isn't working for me?
For the other potential users out there: his quitting problem was fixed before this release, and there will hopefully be no crashes when making a standard-format tournament. Nevertheless, it's always good to save your work regularly!
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I did save regularly, but the older version didn't save the team data! Anyway, the new version works great.

Now my new problems are tiny:

(a) If you uncheck the box for using powers, it rechecks itself as soon as you go from the Tournament Setup to the Game Entry, Reports, or Settings screens.

(b) If you type in the name of the French player in your tournament and include the accent in his name, he will be omitted from all of the reports.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Kyle wrote:(a) If you uncheck the box for using powers, it rechecks itself as soon as you go from the Tournament Setup to the Game Entry, Reports, or Settings screens.

(b) If you type in the name of the French player in your tournament and include the accent in his name, he will be omitted from all of the reports.
Thanks. If other people find problems, there will likely be another update with fixes in time for the Feb 11/12 weekend tournaments.

Separately, it is recommended that users do as much of the Tournament Setup as possible before entering games (specifically question values and bonus types). In fact, you're not actually supposed to be able to change that stuff mid-tournament in the Windows version: everyone's just exploiting a design flaw in the "new tournament" command. I'm aware that users see it as a feature rather than a bug, and we're trying to incorporate as many mid-tournament adjustments as possible, but some choices compromise game data and we have to disallow them.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'm having no problems setting up my tournament, but if I close SQBS and then try to come back to my tournament later, SQBS crashes or just otherwise can't seem to open it.

edit: Ben figured out that this is a small bug: you can't save a tournament unless the teams have players on them and are sorted into divisions (if you're using divisions).
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

I used the program at a local tournament today, and it worked wonderfully! Thanks, Ben!
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

I don't have much experience in stat keeping, but I have tried both the Windows version and Mac version of SQBS, and I like the interface this new Mac version a lot better. I suppose it's because the consolidated tournament setup window just makes a lot more sense in my mind. I'm planning to use SQBS for Mac at Arcadia's tournament in September, so I'll report back in a few months.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

The Mac version can be downloaded from the SQBS site ( http://ai.stanford.edu/~csewell/sqbs/index.html ) - it is the second link on the downloads page. I believe it is the newest version, which was also circulated to some people by email. If there are problems or other feedback, send them to me and we can prepare them into an update when needed.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

So, I'm getting an error when I try to create a web report. The command box is titled Style Sheet not found. and reads "style sheet name from Settings/Report: _statkey.html". Thoughts on how I can fix this?
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:So, I'm getting an error when I try to create a web report. The command box is titled Style Sheet not found. and reads "style sheet name from Settings/Report: _statkey.html". Thoughts on how I can fix this?
I'll be fine at the end of the day to upload stats because I can save the tournament as a Windows-compatible file and get a web report from Windows SQBS, but I would still appreciate thoughts on making this work in the Mac version. Thanks, quizbowl internet!
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:So, I'm getting an error when I try to create a web report. The command box is titled Style Sheet not found. and reads "style sheet name from Settings/Report: _statkey.html". Thoughts on how I can fix this?
Are you trying to use a style sheet? I have no experience with them, and in fact I'm getting a whole separate issue of being unable to keep that box in the report settings checked without reverting to unchecked. I can ask the person who did the programming how style sheets are supposed to be incorporated and how that error message would be generated.

If you're not using a style sheet, then I'm not sure how you would get an error like that, and I would probably need to look at the file itself.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

bsmith wrote:
Are you trying to use a style sheet? I have no experience with them, and in fact I'm getting a whole separate issue of being unable to keep that box in the report settings checked without reverting to unchecked. I can ask the person who did the programming how style sheets are supposed to be incorporated and how that error message would be generated.

If you're not using a style sheet, then I'm not sure how you would get an error like that, and I would probably need to look at the file itself.
Every time I try to uncheck the style sheet, it rechecks it. I don't know what a style sheet even is, which I assume is part of my problem.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Now that I actually look at my desktop, each time I've asked it to generate a report it's created individual files. It won't make a folder like the box said it was trying to, but all the files seem to be there. The error message threw me off and made me assume it hadn't done anything. Once we're at lunch I'll see if it will let me upload the prelim stats. I very much like the interface (and the fact that it doesn't seem to be causing my old-ish computer as much stress as running the Windows version through Wine and a flashdrive always does). Thanks!
Sam L,
PACE
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Heads-up to any other users: the column alignment problem Patrick mentioned in the original Penn-ance thread is in fact a symptom of a bigger bug where packet names are not saving properly. I'm seeing my dad (the programmer) tomorrow, so he may have insight into the bugs Sarah and Patrick found.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

bsmith wrote:Heads-up to any other users: the column alignment problem Patrick mentioned in the original Penn-ance thread is in fact a symptom of a bigger bug where packet names are not saving properly. I'm seeing my dad (the programmer) tomorrow, so he may have insight into the bugs Sarah and Patrick found.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it's displaying that error message, but it is still generating perfectly usable files when I ask for a web report. I'm just bad at computers and it took me a while to think to check my desktop for files. Thanks!
Sam L,
PACE
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

When trying to merge prelims and playoffs, I get this error message. Any ideas?
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Dan-Don wrote:When trying to merge prelims and playoffs, I get this error message. Any ideas?
First, I assume the "index: 2" for Whitney Young is the error message not displaying "index: 23", rather than you putting that team in the third slot of one file for some reason. Also, I assume the team names and player names were copied between the files, so there are no typos between the two sets.

My guess is that you have different divisions between the files. Try altering a copy of the prelims with division names and assignments changed to line up with the playoffs (or vice versa). You can't merge files such that teams would have 2 different divisions assigned to them.

If none of those issues is the problem, I probably need to see the actual files.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

That worked--thanks.
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

I've never used the Mac version myself, but I think there is a bug in the generation of the individuals report, at least in the version that was used for the VA NAQT States tournament. It looks like the <table> tag is never closed, which causes the copyright to appear above the table when uploaded to the database (example here)
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

ScoBo wrote:I've never used the Mac version myself, but I think there is a bug in the generation of the individuals report, at least in the version that was used for the VA NAQT States tournament. It looks like the <table> tag is never closed, which causes the copyright to appear above the table when uploaded to the database (example here)
It appears that the version that can be downloaded from the SQBS website was made in March 2012; there was a later version in October 2012 that corrected the table column glitches, which likely includes what you described. I'll see about getting the later version put on Sewell's website.

I'll host the later version on the ONQBA website for now: http://onqba.ca/stats/SQBS.zip
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

It appears that there are several SQBS stats reports being made this year with the most notable Mac glitch: the columns in the team/player detail pages are out of alignment. I assume this has arisen from new users downloading directly from the SQBS website, which still has an old version up. I have sent the corrected Mac version to Chris Sewell again in hopes it will appear on the SQBS website.

Like I stated in my last message, the most recent Mac version is available at: http://onqba.ca/stats/SQBS.zip (updated April 2013)

Sorry about the inconvenience.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bobodoll
Lulu

Post by bobodoll »

bsmith wrote:It appears that there are several SQBS stats reports being made this year with the most notable Mac glitch: the columns in the team/player detail pages are out of alignment. I assume this has arisen from new users downloading directly from the SQBS website, which still has an old version up. I have sent the corrected Mac version to Chris Sewell again in hopes it will appear on the SQBS website.

Like I stated in my last message, the most recent Mac version is available at: http://onqba.ca/stats/SQBS.zip (updated April 2013)

Sorry about the inconvenience.
I'm having problems with generating the playoff stats on SQBS for Mac right now (I don't know if this problem applies to all versions of Mac SQBS, or just the April 2013 version. The "Rounds Included in Reports" feature doesn't seem to work properly. In the following stat report, I have set SQBS to only display the last 5 matches of Arcadia's 10-match tournament, which it does. However, the standings page displays 6, 7, or 9 tournaments for each team randomly, despite the fact that only 5 matches are actually recorded on the report. Why is this happening?

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Boyang Jiao
Arcadia High School '14
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Mac edition of SQBS is 32-bit and thus cannot be used with Mac OS X Catalina (or subsequent versions). Is there any chance of a 64-bit version?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

jonah wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 pm The Mac edition of SQBS is 32-bit and thus cannot be used with Mac OS X Catalina (or subsequent versions). Is there any chance of a 64-bit version?
I'll have an answer later this week. If it can be done with a re-compile of the code, it will probably be updated. If there is further work, probably not.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

bsmith wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 pm I'll have an answer later this week. If it can be done with a re-compile of the code, it will probably be updated. If there is further work, probably not.
The program has been compiled to 64-bit, with no other updates. I have sent it to Chris Sewell first for the SQBS website; otherwise Jonah will send it around. My dad is not a registered developer for MacOS any longer, so the new version will require a "force open" (option-click) the first time to accept the warning about an untrusted developer.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Chris Sewell has posted a 64-bit version of SQBS for the Mac on his website. Thanks, Ben and Chris!
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments