Dressing for (Quiz-Bowl) Success

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
biggiebird89
Wakka

Dressing for (Quiz-Bowl) Success

Post by biggiebird89 »

I wanted to get a consensus idea about dressing when running a tournament - I have advised coaches/players that attire for our tournament is completely up to them (no shirt/tie required, they can come in pajamas if they want to honestly, whatever makes them comfortable.) But what about those moderating/directing the tournament? What generally works the best?

Last year, the 3 gentlemen who ran this tournament (myself and 2 others) did polo shirts and slacks, but I wasn't sure what works best? I'm not thinking full suits/ties, but would a semi-formal look work best (shirts/ties/slacks for gents, shirts/skirts/pants for ladies,) etc. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks again!
~Garrett~
2011 Graduate - Lyndon State College
Former V.P. - L.S.C. chapter of Sigma Zeta Honor Society
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Re: Dressing for (Quiz-Bowl) Success

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

biggiebird89 wrote:I wanted to get a consensus idea about dressing when running a tournament - I have advised coaches/players that attire for our tournament is completely up to them (no shirt/tie required, they can come in pajamas if they want to honestly, whatever makes them comfortable.) But what about those moderating/directing the tournament? What generally works the best?

Last year, the 3 gentlemen who ran this tournament (myself and 2 others) did polo shirts and slacks, but I wasn't sure what works best? I'm not thinking full suits/ties, but would a semi-formal look work best (shirts/ties/slacks for gents, shirts/skirts/pants for ladies,) etc. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks again!
Doesn't matter. Don't look like a slob and wear clean clothes. Also, I know this is hard for most, but PLEASE BATHE BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT
Joe
Delaware
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Pretty much every tournament I've gone to or hosted at UCLA, I've worn a UCLA sports polo with cargo shorts. I know my middle school's football coach (and my history teacher) was big on the mantra "look good, feel good, play good" and so if you're dressed appropriately to succeed, there's a better chance you will. Just make sure you and your staff are comfortable and presentable, and can effectively perform your duties.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

In short, use common sense.

A more nuanced answer:

Middle/High School: readers should be cleaned up. TDs should at least go business casual, business professional if it's a prestigious tournament.

College: don't look/smell like a hobo.
biggiebird89
Wakka

Post by biggiebird89 »

Understandable on all parts - this is a HS tournament held at a college, being run by college students (mostly Juniors/Seniors) from our local chapter of a national math/science Honor Society.

My intention is to make sure that they are dressed responsibly and adequately - this tournament (in its 2nd incarnation) has been moderately attended (11 last year, 10 now or so,) and I've always been of the idea "You dress for the job you want,"...or in this case, to maintain a positive reputation among the coaches/teams in the area. Looking like slobs won't go over with me, and I'd rather be somewhat short-handed, looking for extra help who are appropriate-looking than be fine on staff, but they look like hobos.
~Garrett~
2011 Graduate - Lyndon State College
Former V.P. - L.S.C. chapter of Sigma Zeta Honor Society
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

I'm wearing a tie today, because I never thought of how I dressed before when moderating (though I was always above grad student level). My pseudo-HS coach will be shocked.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)