Spring 2012 schedule discussion

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Spring 2012 schedule discussion

Post by theMoMA »

1/7:
1/14: (MLK weekend) BARGE (Yale, Mizzou [1/15])
1/21: [NAQT CC SCT] BARGE (Buffalo, Houston, Illinois, Bellarmine)
1/28: Penn Bowl (Penn, Buffalo, Washington), BARGE (Georgia)

2/4: NAQT SCT
2/11: Penn Bowl (Northwestern)
2/18: ACF Regionals
2/25: [NAQT CCCT]

3/3: Peaceful Resolution (Chicago, Harvard)
3/10:
3/17: MUT (Waterloo, Tulane)
3/24:
3/31: NAQT ICT, National History Bowl

4/7: Easter
4/14: MUT (Minnesota)
4/21: ACF Nationals
4/28:

5/5
5/12
5/19
5/26
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Re: Spring schedule discussion

Post by theMoMA »

Spring events:

Scheduled

ACF Regionals
SCT
ICT
Peaceful Resolution
MUT
BARGE
Penn Bowl
ACF Nationals

Still free-floating

MUT sites

May or may not exist

Illinois Open
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Worth adding the (probable date) clause to ICT as well.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

I'll repeat what I said before about Chicago's tournament: we'd like to hold it at Chicago on March 3rd, with mirrors that date or later in March depending on Spring breaks.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Important Bird Area

ICT will be March 31st. Full details in a separate announcement soon.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I don't think I can get the Wisconsin tournament together... so for now it won't happen. If somebody wants to do a post nationals tournament, feel free to claim that.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Penn Bowl will happen. I will appeal to the community to decide the best day.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Penn Bowl will happen. I will appeal to the community to decide the best day.
It looks like there's two-week blocs from 1/21 to 1/28, 3/10 to 3/24, and between ICT and Nats. Though I'd prefer the first spot, you may have to fight it out with Terrapin for that one, and if that doesn't work, either fight it out with IO for the middle-March spot or settle into the inter-National spot.

Regardless of timeframe, I really hope Penn Bowl returns to regular difficulty.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

RyuAqua wrote:Regardless of timeframe, I really hope Penn Bowl returns to regular difficulty.
We'll tone it down from last year.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

I would like to claim the last two weekends of January for GAAP (Generally Accepted Academic Principles), a new tournament written by members of the Illinois Academic Buzzer Team. This will be an easier tournament along the lines of MUT and Delta Burke from the past couple of years. This tournament will be available for late mirrors, such as CCs seeking to mirror the tournament on 2/4 because of a potential conflict with the CC SCT on 1/21.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

GAAP, Penn Bowl, and Terrapin should probably figure out how to properly avoid bumping into one another, especially given that the first half of January is difficult to attend due to nearly-universal winter breaks. With the number of events going up, it seems like some event may have to work its way into the two to four weeks between ICT and ACF Nationals if all of them are determined to go forward.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

RyuAqua wrote:GAAP, Penn Bowl, and Terrapin should probably figure out how to properly avoid bumping into one another, especially given that the first half of January is difficult to attend due to nearly-universal winter breaks. With the number of events going up, it seems like some event may have to work its way into the two to four weeks between ICT and ACF Nationals if all of them are determined to go forward.
I would like to see GAAP occupy the last two weeks of January for a couple of reasons: 1) It's an easier tournament, so people aren't starting by playing regular difficulty right off the bat; and 2) I'd like there to be some distance between GAAP and MUT, since they will likely be around the same difficulty, a difficulty which will be easier than most of the rest of the tournaments during the spring semester.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Who is the editing team for GAAP?

Is Terrapin happening for sure this year?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Papa's in the House wrote: I would like to see GAAP occupy the last two weeks of January for a couple of reasons: 1) It's an easier tournament, so people aren't starting by playing regular difficulty right off the bat; and 2) I'd like there to be some distance between GAAP and MUT, since they will likely be around the same difficulty, a difficulty which will be easier than most of the rest of the tournaments during the spring semester.
I understand why you want this spot. You should still ensure that your claim of it is okay with Terrapin and Penn Bowl, who both announced their existence for the upcoming year earlier than GAAP and have previously occupied January spots for years. The reality is that there just isn't enough room for all these tournaments in the spring semester anymore. Regardless, we want to make the schedule work as best it can, so we have to actually talk to each other about the best place for things, and whether an entirely new tournament of uncertain quality ought to displace two tournaments that have existed for decades, for that to happen.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

(I have no idea when MUT will be)

One thing you might consider for GAAP (or MUT, I guess, I'm sort of talking to both people) is to run it as a tournament late in the semester or even in the early summer. I've noticed that novices tend to peter out as the semester goes on--partly because of business, but also because beginning around April, there are no tournaments for them to play. Thus, a number of new players stop coming to practice or being invested in the club because they aren't going to be playing anything until next fall. It might be interesting to see if a post Nats or May tournament would work or be feasible.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Susan

Post by Susan »

Cheynem wrote:(I have no idea when MUT will be)

One thing you might consider for GAAP (or MUT, I guess, I'm sort of talking to both people) is to run it as a tournament late in the semester or even in the early summer. I've noticed that novices tend to peter out as the semester goes on--partly because of business, but also because beginning around April, there are no tournaments for them to play. Thus, a number of new players stop coming to practice or being invested in the club because they aren't going to be playing anything until next fall. It might be interesting to see if a post Nats or May tournament would work or be feasible.
This is a good idea. Chicago's very short-lived novice tournament was run in early May and had a decent turnout both years we ran it (Maryland's DSHIT, also a novice tournament, ran in that slot previously), and I think a postseason novice/lower-level event can be a really nice thing for the circuit for the reasons Mike described.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

I also agree. At the end of April this year, after both nationals, I ran an MUT mirror that was as well attended as any local tournament could ask for, getting plenty of teams from local staples on the circuit, in addition to appearances from a few teams that were not very active this year (Kansas State, Oklahoma, Missouri Valley). I felt like this set went over very well because our local circuit has a lot of players who are squarely in its audience, but who didn't get the chance to play anything particularly easy after ICT D2 if they even went to that, and who wanted to get one last chance to play something that was more accessible than the usual while also killing a little time to hang out with their team at the end of the year right before finals. That was my read on the vibe at the tournament mostly, and I felt like it was beneficial for keeping novices more involved throughout the year and just generally helped out our circuit, so I would definitely recommend a tournament like GAAP or MUT for the end of the year and see if other circuits are interested in a late season chance for younger players to blow off some steam and have a more fun end to the season.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

College Park Spyders wrote:I also agree. At the end of April this year, after both nationals, I ran an MUT mirror that was as well attended as any local tournament could ask for, getting plenty of teams from local staples on the circuit, in addition to appearances from a few teams that were not very active this year (Kansas State, Oklahoma, Missouri Valley). I felt like this set went over very well because our local circuit has a lot of players who are squarely in its audience, but who didn't get the chance to play anything particularly easy after ICT D2 if they even went to that, and who wanted to get one last chance to play something that was more accessible than the usual while also killing a little time to hang out with their team at the end of the year right before finals. That was my read on the vibe at the tournament mostly, and I felt like it was beneficial for keeping novices more involved throughout the year and just generally helped out our circuit, so I would definitely recommend a tournament like GAAP or MUT for the end of the year and see if other circuits are interested in a late season chance for younger players to blow off some steam and have a more fun end to the season.
I'll join the chorus promoting GAAP later in the semester. In addition to what everyone has already said, the time slots in December, January, and February are usually the best general-interest slots that we have for regular tournaments.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

MUT could really go anywhere in March, April, or early May. I like the idea of having it be after both ICT and ACF Nats to give players a reason to keep coming to practices; somewhere in the range of 4/28-5/12.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

So, we should actually set a spring schedule which attempts to resolve some of the following questions. Is Penn Bowl happening in January after BARGE or at some other time? Are SCT and Regionals indeed set in stone for February 4th and 18th; if so, is there confirmation from ACF about packet writing for Regionals for that date? Is the Chicago hard tournament still happening? If so, when? Is the rumored MUT/GAAP merger actually occurring? If so, when? Must TIT be moved to the spring? If so, to when? What weekends are we attempting to leave free? Does anyone actually care about setting any of this so that teams can effectively plan out their packet writing, travel plans, and/or high school tournament hosting?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

MUT and GAAP are merging. I'm not sure when it will be run, I imagine this is the type of set that can be run across multiple dates.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

MUT the GAAP.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If only Jeff Geringer would work on GAAP and so it could be MUT and Jeff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

To answer Matt's question, yes the Chicago hard tournament is still happening as scheduled.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.

ugh why

AlphaRasmus
Lulu

Post by AlphaRasmus »

RyuAqua wrote:Is Penn Bowl happening in January after BARGE or at some other time? ... Does anyone actually care about setting any of this so that teams can effectively plan out their packet writing, travel plans, and/or high school tournament hosting?
I'm just going to throw this one out there again. Any word on Penn Bowl yet?
Mattie Bogner
Dewitt High School 2004-2008
Michigan State University 2008-2012
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

AlphaRasmus wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:Is Penn Bowl happening in January after BARGE or at some other time? ... Does anyone actually care about setting any of this so that teams can effectively plan out their packet writing, travel plans, and/or high school tournament hosting?
I think Eric once mentioned that he planned to have it done for January (we've started writing stuff). No clue on specifics though.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Monocle wrote:
AlphaRasmus wrote:
I think Eric once mentioned that he planned to have it done for January (we've started writing stuff). No clue on specifics though.
Are you not going to be asking for packets?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Charbroil wrote:
Monocle wrote:
AlphaRasmus wrote:
Are you not going to be asking for packets?
I'm pretty sure we will be. I'm not the one to ask though, so don't quote me on it. All I know is that it's supposed to happen and at least some editors packets are being written.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

MUT has finally been set for 4.14 unless there is an outcry.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I went through and updated the first and second posts. Please let me know if I missed anything.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Quick correction: Bellarmine's BARGE mirror is on the 21st, not the 14th.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Important Bird Area

Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Is TIT still happening the first weekend of May? Or at least something that weekend?
Nicholas C
KQBA member