Novice/Trash at Tulane (Nov. 12-13)

Old college threads.
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Novice/Trash at Tulane (Nov. 12-13)

Post by TulaneKQB »

Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce a mirror of the Delta Burke Novice Tournament in New Orleans on Saturday November 12th (11/12). Delta Burke is a novice-level tournament written by Valencia College intended for community colleges, underclassmen, and undergraduates with no more than one year of previous collegiate quiz bowl.

The next day, Sunday, November 13th (11/13) Tulane is also pleased to announce the Bayou-a-Drank Academic Superiority Spectacular! (BADASS!) trash tournament, consisting of pop culture questions written mostly by Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl. Packet submissions by participating teams are encouraged. Bayou-a-Drank is open to community colleges as well as undergraduates (upper and underclassmen) from other institutions. The distribution for BADASS! for both TOs and bonus sets is roughly as follows: 5 TV, 5 Movies, 5 Music, and 5 Miscellanea (Sports, Video Games, etc.).

Registration for the Delta Burke mirror will be $50, with a $10 discount for bringing buzzers. Registration for Bayou-a-Drank is also $50, with a similar $10 discount for buzzers, a $10 discount if you're also playing the novice tournament, and a discount for packet submission.

Interested teams:

Hendrix College
Alabama
Tulane (1-2)
LSU
Ole Miss
Rice

More details, such as what buildings on campus will be used, to follow.

For more information or to express interest in the Delta Burke mirror or Bayou-a-Drank, contact Ryan McLaren at [email protected].
Last edited by TulaneKQB on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15
mhayes
Rikku

Re: Novice/Trash at Tulane (Nov. 12-13)

Post by mhayes »

TulaneKQB wrote:The distribution for BADASS! for both TOs and bonus sets is roughly as follows: 5 TV, 5 Movies, 5 Music, and 5 Miscellanea (Sports, Video Games, etc.).
I assume you mean 5/5 for each of those categories?

Edit: sorry, I just noticed that you answered this question already.

Also, you may want to consider having sports as its own major category and merging TV and movies.

A better distribution might be something like 5/5 Movies and TV, 5/5 Sports (1/1 each for baseball, football, basketball, 2/2 your choice), 5/5 Music, 5/5 Miscellaneous (Video games, trash literature, etc).
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

mhayes wrote: A better distribution might be something like 5/5 Movies and TV, 5/5 Sports (1/1 each for baseball, football, basketball, 2/2 your choice), 5/5 Music, 5/5 Miscellaneous (Video games, trash literature, etc).
There will probably be 3-4 sports TOs/bonus sets per round. They may not all be explicitly sports-related (i.e. a sports movie, etc.), but they'll be there--and there will be a fair share of straight-up sports.
Ryan McLaren
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

TulaneKQB wrote:There will probably be 3-4 sports TOs/bonus sets per round. They may not all be explicitly sports-related (i.e. a sports movie, etc.), but they'll be there--and there will be a fair share of straight-up sports.
Ah I see. Also, the announcement says that Sunday trash is for undergraduates. Trash tournaments are traditionally open, with virtually no restrictions on teams. Your attendance may also increase by making it an open event.

I'm glad to see you guys hosting a novice academic tournament, however. I think a lot of teams in that area could use more tournaments like this one, so keep up the good work.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

mhayes wrote: Ah I see. Also, the announcement says that Sunday trash is for undergraduates. Trash tournaments are traditionally open, with virtually no restrictions on teams. Your attendance may also increase by making it an open event.
I thought about that, but I figured that since it was going to be immediately after the novice tournament that it would be better to limit Bayou-a-Drank to undergraduates, for competition's sake. If it seems like that is going to potentially be a big obstacle for the tournament then I might be persuaded otherwise, but as things stand right now I think we're going to keep it like that.
Ryan McLaren
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Auburn is interested in attending both of these events.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Actually, Auburn is only going to be able to make Sunday's trash tournament.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

A couple of quick announcements about Bayou-a-Drank:

There will most likely be a mirror of Bayou-a-Drank at the University of Washington on 12/4.

Also, many of the questions used in Bayou-a-Drank will also be used as a mirror in this year's TrashMasters and UTC will be providing some of the questions used in the set at Tulane. The two tournaments have become sort of a tag-team effort between myself and UTC/Charlie. The Bayou-a-Drank set at Tulane will still be an undergraduate tournament, while I imagine that the TrashMasters set will be open, but I suppose that's up to them.

In terms of some of the rules for the Bayou-a-Drank tournament, votes among the Tulane teams have seen these to be the majority opinions:
NO on powers, YES on negs, and YES on bounce-backs for bonus sets.
I realize that the presence of bounce-backs may be controversial--I've always thought that they're a fun addition to any tournament, that they reward the teams with greater knowledge (but maybe not as great of buzzer speed) on a subject, and they make rounds more high-scoring and usually more exciting. Again, this is just where our club is leaning, but we may be persuaded otherwise if other teams feel differently.
Ryan McLaren
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

If Rice brings a team, can we get a moderator discount?
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

fluffy4102 wrote:If Rice brings a team, can we get a moderator discount?
Ditto on the question.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:
fluffy4102 wrote:If Rice brings a team, can we get a moderator discount?
Ditto on the question.
I can't promise that your moderators will be utilized, but yes; a $5 discount will be added.
Ryan McLaren
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

TulaneKQB wrote:I can't promise that your moderators will be utilized, but yes; a $5 discount will be added.
External moderators should probably take priority over house moderators.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

mhayes wrote:
TulaneKQB wrote:I can't promise that your moderators will be utilized, but yes; a $5 discount will be added.
Well, no. The only sensible way to do this is for good moderators to take precedence over bad moderators. You're absolutely not obliged to use an external moderator if he or she is not up to par (though it's nice to find something for them to do, like scorekeep); the players' experience is more important than the moderators' experience.

That said, if you end up with an enormous crew of rockstar moderators, you could have people switch off or whatnot.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Yeah, I should have clarified. My assumption was that all of the moderators would be of good quality.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Susan wrote:
mhayes wrote:
Well, no. The only sensible way to do this is for good moderators to take precedence over bad moderators. You're absolutely not obliged to use an external moderator if he or she is not up to par (though it's nice to find something for them to do, like scorekeep); the players' experience is more important than the moderators' experience.

That said, if you end up with an enormous crew of rockstar moderators, you could have people switch off or whatnot.
Yeah, I was just saying to not bring someone on the assumption that they would necessarily have something to do, especially for the novice tournament. We've got enough people ineligible for Delta Burke that nonetheless want to take part in the tournament (and who are also "good" moderators) that I'd like to staff the event with them. I'm not exactly shopping for people to read and keep score; that said, we will probably find use for whoever attends but can't/doesn't compete.
Ryan McLaren
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Please remove Auburn from the list of teams attending this. We are only going to have a team at the trash tournament on Sunday.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

jmannor2 wrote:Please remove Auburn from the list of teams attending this. We are only going to have a team at the trash tournament on Sunday.
Fixed it, thanks.
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

It's official: each of these events will begin at 9AM in the Norman Mayer Building on Tulane's campus. Norman Mayer is #6 on this map: http://tulane.edu/about/visiting/uptown-campus-map.cfm
...or a gray building off of St. Charles. The best place to park will be on Newcomb Place across Freret Street from the Academic Quad, or near Howard-Tilton Library (#60). Parking on Newcomb Place is permitted during the weekend; once you're there it is about a 5 minute walk across Freret and down Law Road to Norman Mayer on your left.
Confusing, I know, so if you get lost or have any questions feel free to contact me at 770.853.4817.
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

There was some unfortunate schedule rearrangement that resulted from a couple of teams having to leave after round 7, but I think everyone still had a good time reading the DB set. Thanks to Chris and everyone else who contributed to the rounds, and congratulations Alabama B on a dominant performance!

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Also, it should be noted that Alabama B defeated Alabama A in the ninth round to improve their record to 9-0. I'm not sure why that wasn't inputted.
Ryan McLaren
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

I really wish I could've came to help and just to go to New Orleans for once in my life, but glad to hear everything went well. Hopefully things will work out and I'll be able to come with Bama to a future Tulane tournament.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19