Kentucky 2011-2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Kentucky 2011-2012

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Here's a tentative schedule for the year, including tournaments hosted in Kentucky and also events in other states that usually draw some KY teams. I can keep this updated throughout the year if people want:

8/27: DAR High School Southeast Season Opener (Grant, AL)

9/3: Labor Day Weekend
9/10:
9/17: Ezell-Harding Academic Tournament (Nashville, TN)
9/24: KAAC Coaches Conference (Louisville, KY)

10/1: Danville Fall Tournament (Danville, KY)
10/8:
10/15: U of L Academic Challenge (Louisville, KY)
10/22:
10/29: WKU Fall JV Tournament (Bowling Green, KY)

11/5: Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (Lexington, KY); Vanderbilt ABC (Nashville, TN)
11/12: KAAC JV Challenge (Various Sites); Bulldog Middle School Tournament (Lexington, KY)
11/19: WKU Hilltopper Invitational (Bowling Green, KY)
11/24: Thanksgiving Weekend

12/3: Wright State Rowdy Raider (Dayton, OH); Eastern Kentucky History Bee and Bowl (Paintsville, KY)
12/10:
12/17:
12/24: Christmas Eve
12/31: New Years' Eve

1/7: Western Kentucky History Bee and Bowl (Owensboro, KY)
1/14: Fleming County Academic Tournament (Flemingsburg, KY)
1/21:
1/28: KAAC Governor's Cup District (Various Sites)

2/4:
2/11:
2/18: KAAC Governor's Cup Regional (Various Sites)
2/25:

3/3: Louisville Eastern Invitational (Louisville, KY)
3/10-12: KAAC Governor's Cup State Finals (Lexington, KY)
3/17: WKU Spring Novice Tournament (Bowling Green, KY)
3/24:National History Bowl State Championship (Buckner, KY)
3/31: Kentucky NAQT State (Louisville, KY)

4/7:
4/14:
4/21:
4/28: National History Bee and Bowl (Washington, DC)

5/5:
5/12:
5/19: Midwest Championship (Evanston, IL)
5/26: NAQT HSNCT (Atlanta, GA)

6/2:
6/9: PACE NSC (St. Louis, MO)
6/16: HSAPQ NASAT (Columbus, OH)
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky 2011-2012

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Since I'm starting off this thread, I'm gonna throw out some material for discussion:

By my rough count, there were 256 teams in High School Governor's Cup last year. My count was probably not exact because it was done quickly, but the important point is that there are over 250 high school academic teams in the state of Kentucky. There were six tournaments last year in this state (DAFT, Danville, Hilltopper, UofL, CHAT, and KY NAQT) which were run on good, pyramidal quizbowl questions. In those tournaments, 22 schools entered 46 teams. That's right, out of over 250 academic teams in this state last year, only 22 of them played good quizbowl. That is not good.

Quite simply, this has to change. There needs to be more than six good quizbowl tournaments next year. More schools need to host, more schools already hosting (hopefully Fleming County follows through on this) quick recall tournaments should switch to pyramidal formats this year, and those of us that do host or at least have some interest in advancing good quizbowl in Kentucky need to start cooperating to expand the circuit.

I have some opinions about what to do about this, but this post has already been a bit too long. This is a discussion board, hopefully we can use this to help come up with the best ideas to further our state's quizbowl circuit for the next year.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

I think Fleming County is using HSAPQ for their next tournament.

More tournaments would be nice, but what really needs to happen is for teams to stop studying and practicing on fake questions and to start using websites like http://www.quizbowlpackets.com. The single greatest obstacle in converting Kentucky teams is convincing "established" coaches that they've been doing quizbowl wrong the last two decades. It's nice that KAAC is moving slowly away from quick recall because that makes it at least a bit easier to convince said "established" coaches that there are better formats and questions out there.

Alternatively, getting relatively new teams to start caring about real questions is another decent way of getting teams to good tournaments. Nick, I know you've had first-hand experience with this while at Grayson, but it seems such teams always have a hard time overcoming administrative inertia.
Sandy
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Huang wrote:More tournaments would be nice, but what really needs to happen is for teams to stop studying and practicing on fake questions and to start using websites like http://www.quizbowlpackets.com. The single greatest obstacle in converting Kentucky teams is convincing "established" coaches that they've been doing quizbowl wrong the last two decades. It's nice that KAAC is moving slowly away from quick recall because that makes it at least a bit easier to convince said "established" coaches that there are better formats and questions out there.

Alternatively, getting relatively new teams to start caring about real questions is another decent way of getting teams to good tournaments. Nick, I know you've had first-hand experience with this while at Grayson, but it seems such teams always have a hard time overcoming administrative inertia.
This is a great point, and a nice way to transition into one of the things I've been thinking about for the last few months. There are a lot of teams in this state that really don't know much about good quizbowl other than what they've heard from secondhand sources, and unfortunately they don't usually hear good things. This fall, some of us at WKU are going to try and change that in the Bowling Green area, by asking to visit teams' practices and meet the players and coaches personally. In doing so, we would like to point them to the good resources out there (the packet archive, this website, the wiki, etc) that teams can use to improve or simply become more active, while also talking about the merits of good quizbowl and pointing them to the tournaments they could attend.

KAAC transitioning away from quick recall does help, although it would really be nice to see KAAC make the big jump to having solely pyramidal tossups and three-part bonuses sometime in the next two or three years. The tossups actually are getting closer and can be remedied by more good writers submitting questions, while the bonuses will have to be a KAAC decision at some point. Regardless, we can point out that quizbowl is probably the future of KAAC and that can help win teams over.

In addition to visiting teams, we're going to increase our hosting, as well as more aggressively promoting our tournaments to teams who are not already active on good quizbowl questions. Whether or not we are successful in any of these endeavors simply remains to be seen, but what we are able to do on our own is really not all that substantial. I've proposed this before and didn't get much traction, but now I can speak on behalf on the entire WKU club when I make this proposal: I think it is time to start a Kentucky Quizbowl Association (or whatever you want to call it, that's just a working title) of coaches, collegiate players, former players, or other people involved in quizbowl in the area to promote good quizbowl in Kentucky. While this would be an organiztion that only focuses on Kentucky, my inspirations for this proposal are the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, the Texas Quizbowl Alliance, and the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association. The organization would not be a governing body, nor would it be something that tries to replace KAAC, it would do the following things (although perhaps more if deemed neccessary):

1) Give a certification to every tournament in Kentucky that is held on good quizbowl questions in an acceptable format. The organization would not just promote and publicize these tournaments however, they could provide assistance and resources to the tournament director. It would be nice to have at least one organization member at every tournament helping staff, and also provide any help needed in carrying out a good format, keeping statistics, and posting results.

2) Maintain a website that includes resources for improving, attending more tournaments, etc. It would also have an events calendar, some sort of database of contact information, and would post results for certified tournaments.

3) Also using the power of the internet, the organization could send out monthly newsletters keeping everyone informed about what is going on in the Kentucky quizbowl circuit, including publicizing upcoming good tournaments and posting the results of those that have already taken place.

4) Through members visiting schools, e-mailing coaches, or any other form of communication necessary, the organization could reach out to teams across the state who are not currently active in the quizbowl community and invite them to participate.

5) Organizing the tryouts for the Kentucky All-Star Team and also helping fund the team's trip to NASAT. Theoretically much of the funding could come from charging everyone who tries out a small fee, but it may be a good idea for the organization to operate a good quizbowl tournament that serves to help fun the organization's efforts.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

I think this is a really great idea Nick. I'd be happy to help with it in any way I can.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hilltopper22 wrote:5) Organizing the tryouts for the Kentucky All-Star Team and also helping fund the team's trip to NASAT. Theoretically much of the funding could come from charging everyone who tries out a small fee, but it may be a good idea for the organization to operate a good quizbowl tournament that serves to help fun the organization's efforts.
I would recommend talking to Louisville's team and trying to get them on board with this, and subsuming the NAQT State event. In Missouri, Missouri S&T ran the first two Missouri NAQT State tournaments, and then MOQBA took over the event (with permission, of course, the same two people still run it) and we turned it into the primary fundraiser for our expenses, which mostly have gone towards funding the NASAT team. This year we also hosted 2 more tournaments to be MOQBA fundraisers to supplement the profits from NAQT state. I think that would help your goals out a lot.

If you want any other advice on how to make a quizbowl alliance work, feel free to drop a line, we've got lots of experience in MOQBA and would be glad to give suggestions.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Likewise, I would be happy to talk to you about what IHSSBCA does, how it does it, and what I would do differently if I were starting a new organization; I'm sure David Reinstein ([email protected]) would also be glad to talk to you.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

OK, here's where I am in the process with this:

I've started to reach out to the other college programs, first and foremost being Louisville seeing as how they're the largest in the state right now. I'm thinking that sometime early next Monday or Tuesday I'm going to start sending out e-mails to coaches who I know are committed to good quizbowl and seeking input from them as well. Anyone interested in being involved can go ahead and contact me anytime next week and let me know, as soon as I find a decent number of people committed to being in the organization, we'll go from there and see exactly how we want to format everything and what exactly we want to do.

I think one of the early discussions is one that could already begin in public, and that's how we want to format the organization. I prefer the type of setup where the organization consists of individuals who are collegiate players, coaches, former players, and other quizbowl people in Kentucky who are committed to the proliferation of more high quality tournaments and reaching out to every program in the state trying to get them involved in those good tournaments. On the other hand, others may prefer the type of setup where the organization acts almost as a type of league, that is, where programs themselves join the organization and compete in league-certified (or affliated) tournaments while those events are simaltaneously open to any team. In this case, the main outreach efforts would be trying to get more programs to join the organization.

Like I said I prefer the first option, but I've heard mentions of the other type of organization both now and in the past and I figure we ought to discuss this before we do much of anything.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Nick,
The National History Bee and Bowl also ran a pyramidal tournament this past March at Johnson Central - we had 14 teams there, and they all had a great time. Moreover, Adair County, Sayre, Menifee County, Piarist, Paintsville, and Pike County attended our Nationals, so we had great representation from Kentucky. Building on this for next year, we're planning on expanding to both western Kentucky (at Owensboro) and the Louisville area (Oldham County). I'm also going to be teaching history courses at both KAAC camp and ACE camp in Kentucky over the next few weeks, which will hopefully lead to quite a few more schools participating. As soon as I have dates for our KY tournaments, I'll pass them along, but in the meantime, please add our National Championships in DC from April 28-29, 2012 to the calendar. Finally, I think that the teams that came to our tournament in Kentucky (see www.historybowl.com for the full list) who don't compete as often in pyramidal events would be good schools to reach out to. And please, someone, reach out to Sayre in particular. They had the top scorer in the country at the preliminary rounds of the JV National History Bee, Mason Hill. I have no idea how much he knows in other subjects, but I would have to think that he'd be interested in finding some students to compete with at other quiz bowl tournaments. His talent shouldn't only be spent on the NHBB next year, particularly, since his dad drove him 6 hours each way to compete at Culver in our Indiana tournament, as his mother only reached out to me after our Kentucky tournament had been held.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Sayre is in Lexington but they're a small private school, which alone makes it very hard for them to form a team that reliably attends good tournaments. My brother went there for high school so I know a little about their school demographics. Most kids are often too busy with lacrosse, stock market accounts, thoroughbred farms, etc. to do any academic extracurriculars. I think they've only recently begun competing in KAAC so maybe they might start attending more tournaments given Sayre's obviously very dedicated parents.
Sandy
maged
Lulu

Post by maged »

Is there still a list that keeps track of which colleges, seniors are attending who attended HSNCT because I couldn't find it on NAQT's website?
Maged Saeed
University of Kentucky '15
Ballard '11
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Like Charlie said, please don't hesitate to let us in MOQBA know if we can do anything to help. If we can get a stronger foothold on the market in southeast Missouri, we will be sure to let you know of any events that take place there, in case you have some extreme western Kentucky teams who would be interested in some interstate competition.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

maged wrote:Is there still a list that keeps track of which colleges, seniors are attending who attended HSNCT because I couldn't find it on NAQT's website?
It's here. Note that the 2011 results haven't been compiled yet; usually this happens in August.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB would like to reserve the date of 3/17 for our KY state championship on our A set (the longest and most challenging of our 3 sets). Western KY will run on C set and Eastern KY on B set before this. Teams do not have to qualify at one of the earlier KY sites to play in the state final. I will post here regarding sites and dates as they firm up; I will also be attending the KY conference at Galt House in Louisville and teaching at ACE Camp Campbellsville if anyone is interested in learning more about our plans for KY in 2011-2012.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

KAAC States were on March 10-12 this year, and I'm assuming will be scheduled around the same time period next year.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ahunt
Lulu

Post by ahunt »

According to http://www.kaac.com/calendar/index.html KAAC State Governor's Cup is indeed March 10-12, 2012.
Allison Hunt
duPont Manual High School
Louisville, KY
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Here are a few Ohio tournaments that drew 2 (or more) Kentucky teams this past year

11/5 Tippecanoe NAQT (A set)

1/7 OSU Winter (HSAPQ)
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

KAAC has listed its 2011-12 Rules Changes. I don't see the tossup/bonus separation that was supposedly happening this year, is it just something that didn't get listed or did it somehow fall through?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

You don't see those changes because they aren't there. KAAC has shelved the changes to quick recall for this year. My understanding is that they plan on move forward with the changes next year, but that getting questions writers on board for this year wasn't a realisic timeframe.

That means we should continue to see more pyramidal (than in the past) toss ups, but no difference between toss up and bonus.

On a personal note...FCHS was planning on using the new format for our January tournament, and had contacted HSAPQ about modifying their VHSL sets to fit that format. We've always billed the FCAT as a Governor's Cup warmup so that leaves me with some creative formatting for our tournament. I do still plan to use HSAPQ toss ups, and will probably just use shorter single part bonuses (like what KAAC will be moving to). With the tournament that close to district I want to stay as close to Gov. Cup as possible, but would like to use better questions if at all possible.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

Ulster Clay Pigeon Shooting Association wrote:Here are a few Ohio tournaments that drew 2 (or more) Kentucky teams this past year

1/7 OSU Winter (HSAPQ)
OSU's tournament which I believe was held on the 2nd week of January also drew a couple of Kentucky teams. Dunbar I know for sure attended.
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

unleashmayhem wrote:
Ulster Clay Pigeon Shooting Association wrote:Here are a few Ohio tournaments that drew 2 (or more) Kentucky teams this past year

1/7 OSU Winter (HSAPQ)
OSU's tournament which I believe was held on the 2nd week of January also drew a couple of Kentucky teams. Dunbar I know for sure attended.
OSU Winter (or GBAM2) would fit the bill for that.

I don't think the OSU people would mind me mentioning that they plan on holding their Housewrite tournament on 3/3.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I've added OSU Winter to the calendar. I'm gonna hold off adding OSU's housewrite because I don't know what their plans are for allowing mirrors in Kentucky and I don't want to discourage anybody in Kentucky from hosting a tournament on the weekend (and traditionally Dunbar Spring's date) before KAAC State.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I've now added this spring's College Heights Academic Tournament to the calendar for the date of March 24, 2012. That's a long way away, but it seems like a good open date and we're just going to go ahead and do it on the same weekend as last year.

There is a very good chance that this year's CHAT will be a housewritten tournament. Full details will be announced sometime this fall.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

The National History Bee and Bowl is pleased to announce that the designated Kentucky State Championships on our A set (i.e. Nationals length and difficulty) will take place at Oldham County High School on Saturday, March 17, 2012. Tournaments are also expected to be held at Owensboro High School (C Set) and Johnson Central High School (B Set); these dates should come through by the end of August. Also, Kentucky teams are welcome to play the C Set at our SW Ohio Tournament or at Parkersburg, WV or to play our B set in Nashville, TN as well.
I will also be attending the KAAC Conference in late September, so interested KY coaches can talk to me there about all our plans. I am also currently slated to come and direct the KY State Championships myself, though with help from others too.
David Madden
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

DAFT had been moved to 11/19.
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

unleashmayhem wrote:DAFT had been moved to 11/19.
Sorry mistake on my part. It is still on 11/5.
Apologize for any confusion.
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

Dorman is hosting their Cavalier Challenge on 1/21/11.
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

We are tentatively considering hosting a tournament on February 25.
A couple of our coaches are on board, but we will have to wait a while before we make anything concrete.
This may or may not happen, but I wanted to get the word out so we could have a date, if it works out.

If you are interested and/or have suggestions about questions please email me at [email protected]
Last edited by Scott on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

grayson77 wrote:We are tentatively considering hosting a tournament on February 25.
A couple of our coaches are on board, but we will have to wait a while before we make anything concrete.

If you are interested and/or have suggestions about questions please email me at [email protected]
While I'd love to believe this, I'm not sure anything has changed that would allow it to happen this year after it was rejected the last two years.

EDIT: I would like to say that despite whatever concerns I have that this might not happen, there are certainly discussions going on to make it happen, and that everyone who wants it to happen is going to work very hard to try and host a tournament at Grayson County. If it does happen, I can assure you that it will be very well run and a worthy event for anyone to attend.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

To update a bit on what might be possibly happening with an organization that could potentially call itself the Kentucky Quizbowl Association:

I've emailed some people and talked to several people about what such an organization would be like and what it would do. I've heard a lot of "this sounds like a great idea" and "I'd love to help with this", although when it comes to actually organizing a group, we are still exactly where we were months ago. So with that in mind, I think for this organization to truly get off the ground and become an active body, we should attempt to gather at least most of the people interested in one place for a meeting this fall. Ideally, the best place for this would be at one of the fall tournaments. Personally I would propose UofL's fall tournament, which is traditionally the most well attended fall tournament in Kentucky, as long as Louisville is OK with setting aside maybe 15-30 minutes after the tournament's over for everyone to talk about how the organization should set itself up and operate.

Between now and then, I'll work on getting some semblance of a structure together (maybe a list of principles or some by-laws or something similar) to make sure that we can leave the proposed meeting as a full fledged group rather than an idea we've all discussed. Also, I feel that a natural function of the organization may be to operate the HSAPQ Regional and State Tournaments that have recently been announced. Not only could this provide a way to spread quizbowl to different parts of the state, but it would also help the organization raise funds for its activities and provide a nice outlet to set up an all-star team tryout process.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:To update a bit on what might be possibly happening with an organization that could potentially call itself the Kentucky Quizbowl Association:

I've emailed some people and talked to several people about what such an organization would be like and what it would do. I've heard a lot of "this sounds like a great idea" and "I'd love to help with this", although when it comes to actually organizing a group, we are still exactly where we were months ago. So with that in mind, I think for this organization to truly get off the ground and become an active body, we should attempt to gather at least most of the people interested in one place for a meeting this fall. Ideally, the best place for this would be at one of the fall tournaments. Personally I would propose UofL's fall tournament, which is traditionally the most well attended fall tournament in Kentucky, as long as Louisville is OK with setting aside maybe 15-30 minutes after the tournament's over for everyone to talk about how the organization should set itself up and operate.

Between now and then, I'll work on getting some semblance of a structure together (maybe a list of principles or some by-laws or something similar) to make sure that we can leave the proposed meeting as a full fledged group rather than an idea we've all discussed. Also, I feel that a natural function of the organization may be to operate the HSAPQ Regional and State Tournaments that have recently been announced. Not only could this provide a way to spread quizbowl to different parts of the state, but it would also help the organization raise funds for its activities and provide a nice outlet to set up an all-star team tryout process.
Do you have a list of coaches who are on board with the formation of this association?
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Attention Kentucky quizbowlers:

‎The WKU Academic Competition Club is looking for quality moderators for our November 19th tournament. Right now we are looking for 8 people to read 10 rounds of questions. If you are interested, we will pay you with breakfast, lunch, and $25. We welcome anybody, although preference is given to those who live in Bowling Green and nearby counties. This doesn't apply to people coming with a team, although teams do get a discount for bringing a staffer if you're interested in that. Please let me know if you're interested by sending me a PM or an email.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU Spring Hosting Schedule:

February 25th: WKU Winter Novice Tournament (JV Teams and Middle School teams welcomed. We may use an NAQT A-set or find a suitable housewrite)
April 21st: College Heights Academic Tournament (We're going to either write it or mirror something. It will be suitable for both experienced teams and newer teams)

We also may still host a mirror of a collegiate tournament, depending both on demand from local colleges (and possibly high school teams) and on available dates and sets.
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:WKU Spring Hosting Schedule:

March 17th: College Heights Academic Tournament. We moved CHAT up a week for several reasons, also because the State History Bowl needed our original date. This tournament is open to all high school (and some brave middle schools) teams anywhere. It will be a mirror of a housewrite yet to be determined.

I am not by any means an authority on this subject, but doesn't David Madden say up there that state for history bowl is on the 17th? Something might've changed; I don't know.
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

AustinlSmith wrote:
The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:WKU Spring Hosting Schedule:

March 17th: College Heights Academic Tournament. We moved CHAT up a week for several reasons, also because the State History Bowl needed our original date. This tournament is open to all high school (and some brave middle schools) teams anywhere. It will be a mirror of a housewrite yet to be determined.

I am not by any means an authority on this subject, but doesn't David Madden say up there that state for history bowl is on the 17th? Something might've changed; I don't know.
It was moved to March 24th, which is why we've had to adjust the date for CHAT.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

By my count, there were 5 tournaments in Kentucky this semester that were hosted on good, pyramidal questions: Danville, UofL, WKU JV, DAFT, and Hilltopper. In those 5 tournaments, 23 schools entered 42 teams. That could be off by a little bit, but basically the numbers show that there's been some slight progress made. 22 schools showed up at a good tournament last year, and we have a whole semester to improve even further than we have so far. Right now there seem to be good tournaments scheduled next semester at Fleming County, Dunbar, Eastern, WKU, and UofL.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Nick,

thanks for plugging the FCAT. We will be using HSAPQ's VHSL sets, slightly modified to try and keep them close to Governor's Cup format, but playing on questions that are better than what we've used in the past.
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

A quick update of the Fleming County Academic Tournament.

We are slated for HSAPQ's VHSL sets, modified slightly. This should be a very strong tune up for Governor's Cup, using high quality questions. It is still not certain whether we're going to add any math computation to the field, I'm still trying to get clarification on that.

Here's the field as it stands (there are varsity and "B" divisions)

Fleming--2 teams
Grayson Co.--2
Sheldon Clark--2
Danville--2
Harrison Co.--1
Simon Kenton--2
Johnson Central (HS)--2
Bishop Brossart--2
Daviess Co.--1
Ashland--2
Henry Clay--1
Johnson Co. Middle--2
Woodford Co.--2
Campbell Co.--2
Lafayette--2
Madison Central--2
P.L. Dunbar--3
Adair Co.--3
Russell--3

by my count that's 38 teams...14 more than we've had in the past. logistically we're pretty much capped out now.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

For a variety of reasons we'll be moving our JV tournament to March 17th. The College Heights Academic Tournament will still take place on April 21st.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:For a variety of reasons we'll be moving our JV tournament to March 17th. The College Heights Academic Tournament will still take place on April 21st.
Will the College Heights Academic Tournament on the 21st be an HSNCT qualifier?
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

AustinlSmith wrote:Will the College Heights Academic Tournament on the 21st be an HSNCT qualifier?
It will not be, but teams that perform strongly at that event are encouraged to send us wildcard bids.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Can someone please tell me if in fact it is true that KY NAQT is now 3/24, the long-since scheduled date of NHBB KY States? I was told by our host school it was. And if so, why on earth this is the case?
David Madden
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Can someone please tell me if in fact it is true that KY NAQT is now 3/24, the long-since scheduled date of NHBB KY States? I was told by our host school it was. And if so, why on earth this is the case?
According to this thread and NAQT's website, it is true. I have no clue why that's the case though, you would have to ask Matt Church or somebody else from UofL.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

I mean, the date of 3/31 is wide open. Would it be naïve of me to believe someone to compromise and switch dates?
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

UofL is sending a DII team to ICT that day, so they might have trouble with staff, although I think we can (and should!) all help them with that regardless of what date it's on.

EDIT: I've edited the calendar to best represent the current situation. NHBB has had that date reserved for quite a long time, so I don't know how this mixup happened. Both events are going to be drawing from essentially the same field and should be excellent affairs, so obviously they can't be on the same day.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

The KY NAQT is on March 24th. Initially, we were going to do the 31st, but as Nick pointed out, we have a team in ICTs that day, which will take away a good deal of our staff. With spring break schedules for the schools and the exam schedule at the University of Lousiville, it was either move the tournament to 3/24 and allow teams to compete, qualify, and have time to fund raise and go to the tournament or to have it in May. We opted for March 24th, we have 15 schools, though most are pre-qualified and would have the option of participating in the History Bowl if they wanted. None of our teams are or were listed on the interest list for the History Bowl at OC
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

With my previous comment, other than Oldham County. None of the teams that typically attend our tournaments were listed on the the History Bowl site
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

As a reminder, WKU will be hosting CHAT on April 21st. It will be a mirror of Yale's BHSAT tournament.

On a side note, where is everyone on the HSAPQ All-Star tryouts front? We are willing to host them at WKU directly following CHAT, and may be persuaded to run a second tournament on Sunday to raise money for the All-Star teams trip to NASAT. I still believe the ideal place to do tryouts would be at KAAC State, but if people are still opposed to that I'm not going to push it.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Church51907 wrote:With my previous comment, other than Oldham County. None of the teams that typically attend our tournaments were listed on the the History Bowl site
Matt Church
U of L
This is premature - as it is still more than a month away, many teams do not sign up or express interest until then. Again, this is an awful predicament and an awful precedent, and NAQT should do everything it can to resolve this, particularly as there are open dates available. There are also Sundays available too. I have already asked Oldham County once to move the date; it is unfair to them to ask them to move it again. I am sure that a number of your teams would also be interested in doing History Bowl even if they have not formally committed yet, and vice versa. I implore NAQT to resolve this impasse asap.
David Madden
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If the current conflict stands, we will have a subpar Kentucky NAQT State and a subpar Kentucky History Bowl. UofL, NAQT, NHBB, Oldham County, and everybody in this state should not want either of those things to be the case. NHBB reserved that date months ago, and it wouldn't make sense for them to change it now. I know of teams that are interested in both events, and I know that most tournament registrations do not occur until the last 3-4 weeks before the event.

If UofL moves NAQT State to 3/31 or any other date that is not reserved, I will staff the event and do my best to find other staffers. Anybody intersted in quizbowl in this state should do the same. If NHBB decides it is in their best interest to delay their event, I think people should attempt to help them with that as well. I know the date in question is a good one, and I also understand why both parties want it. But we can't go around hosting two major events on the same day.

On a side note, this is a perfect example for why this state needs a Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance. I will do a short presentation and a call for members at CHAT. Membership will be open to anybody who (starting next year) has graduated high school and has some sort of interest in Kentucky quizbowl. Ideally this will mostly consist of people from collegiate programs and high school coaches, with the only "out-of-state" members being people who operate tournaments in our state (like NAQT and NHBB) and people who are from here and still return from college or wherever on a regular basis. Unless hardly nobody decides they want to be in the KQBA, it will exist in some form by August. Regardless of whether or not you will be at CHAT, send me an email if interested.
Nicholas C
KQBA member