History Resources

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Rick
Lulu

History Resources

Post by Rick »

Does anyone know of some good websites for writing questions about and/or studying history? I'm looking for something at least somewhat comprehensive, other than Wikipedia, but including wikis, databases of articles, etc. Anything that can top flipping through old packets is appreciated.
Patrick Murray
Harry S Truman HS '13
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: History Resources

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

For ancient history:
http://livius.org/

For Byzantine history:
http://12byzantinerulers.com/

For primary documents of all sorts (e.g., a copy of the Athenian constitution, the actual text of the Webster-Ashburton treaty, etc.):
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/

Every State of the Union Address ever (aka, Congratulations you have an unlimited supply of lead-ins for any president!):
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou.php#axzz1cOW7Z29o
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Here's more information on the American Presidency:
http://millercenter.org/president

And on Roman Emperors:
http://www.roman-emperors.org/

The Library of Congress also has primary sources, especially for American cultural history:
http://www.loc.gov/index.html
Nicholas C
KQBA member
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I use this to find secondary sources for papers at Truman: http://www.jstor.org/

You can actually find more than history sources/commentary on here. I've searched on here for opinions on theater productions before.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Textbooks designed for upper-level undergraduate classes on "the history of England" or "the history of Russia" or so forth are great. You can find out what these are by googling for a syllabus at any university that corresponds to the area you want to learn more about.

I get great mileage out of the Rough Guide History of... series. It has lots of detailed information, and the combination of a timeline and focus boxes gives the sort of context that keeps you from making the "this guy won the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa? Must be James Monroe!" buzzes that seem to occur when people try to learn history from flashcards and lists without forming a cognitive map about when and why things happened in relation to each other.

When writing questions, start with the above sources and Britannica. There are specialized encyclopedias out there for most kinds of history, available through a university library or elsewhere. Use Google Books to find actual secondary sources if you really want to, but restrict it to things published after 1950 and make sure you aren't re-introducing crackpot nonsense. Until you know enough to evaluate sources on your own, the best guideline is to only use secondary books written by people who are history professors at accredited universities.

History, like science and religion, is an area where you want to steer clear of Wikipedia, as it tends to emphasize the wrong things and be an ideological battleground. If you want to use the "find interesting clue on Wikipedia, follow footnote and verify it in better source" method, I can't stop you, but even this is risky.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

I've gotten a lot of good European history information from the Catholic Encyclopedia before that I've used for writing some quizbowl questions (as well as some AP Euro papers last year).

EDIT: Apparently you shouldn't listen to me.
Last edited by No Electricity Required on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

No Electricity Required wrote:I've gotten a lot of good European history information from the Catholic Encyclopedia before that I've used for writing some quizbowl questions (as well as some AP Euro papers last year).
Please don't use this; the online edition is the one that was printed in 1907, so it's woefully out of date in pretty much every respect including Catholic doctrine. Great if you want to write questions about the British Raj in the present tense, though.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

marxists.org is a pretty awesome place to find primary sources on anything communism related in history.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Ultimately, you will also want to just plain read books.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

The last stable version of Wikipedia articles on military history are usually helpful if it's assessed as Good, A-Class, or Featured (or at least the sources that they reference will be, since articles of that quality have decent sources). They can be great for all the trivial minutiae that goes into questions on military history.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Matt Weiner wrote:Textbooks designed for upper-level undergraduate classes on "the history of England" or "the history of Russia" or so forth are great. You can find out what these are by googling for a syllabus at any university that corresponds to the area you want to learn more about.
I posted some recommendations for British history here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Matt Weiner wrote:
No Electricity Required wrote:I've gotten a lot of good European history information from the Catholic Encyclopedia before that I've used for writing some quizbowl questions (as well as some AP Euro papers last year).
Please don't use this; the online edition is the one that was printed in 1907, so it's woefully out of date in pretty much every respect including Catholic doctrine. Great if you want to write questions about the British Raj in the present tense, though.
I will mention that the "Summa," "Fathers," and "Library" tabs of New Advent are absolutely great if you ever need some primary sources about basically anything Catholic.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Monocle wrote:The last stable version of Wikipedia articles on military history are usually helpful if it's assessed as Good, A-Class, or Featured (or at least the sources that they reference will be, since articles of that quality have decent sources). They can be great for all the trivial minutiae that goes into questions on military history.
Wikipedia: supplies all the trivial minutiae you'll ever need.

You have to be very careful whenever you use primary sources to write questions. For history, obviously, there's a good chance the account will be extremely biased, lack important details, make things up, etc. They can be more useful for a tossup on a philosophical essay or religious document; however, keep in mind that if you just pluck a random quote out of an essay there's no way it gets buzzed on. I would go so far as to say that you should never write a philosophy question exclusively from a primary source. It really won't tell you which ideas were picked up by later philosophers, which theses inspired important debates, which thought-experiments have become famous, etc. For an essay, you can use primary sources to find good early clues, as long as the essay spends enough time expounding on a particular idea or image that someone who has read the essay will remember it. In general, remember that nobody is actually good at quizbowl: asking people to remember individual paragraphs from Spinoza's Ethics is asking way too much.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Ultimately, you will also want to just plain read books.
Yup.

EDIT: I'll second that 12 Byzantine Rulers is pretty great.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Inkana7 wrote:
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Ultimately, you will also want to just plain read books.
Yup.

EDIT: I'll second that 12 Byzantine Rulers is pretty great.
100 Decisive Battles is also good. I'll use that if I write any questions about battles.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Some reliable, meaty, concise online sources for US history are websites for national parks, battlefields, and other historic sites. For example, if you want to write a question on the Battle of Cowpens, http://www.nps.gov/cowp/index.htm has pretty much everything you need. And this works for biographical questions as well. Like, a famous enough person in American history probably has a historic site somewhere in the country that has a decent, reliable web presence, if not a federal historic site. And lots of non-military events such as the Seneca Falls Convention also have historic sites with good online resources. See http://www.nps.gov/wori/index.htm .

Another place that has lots of good information is the PBS website. I especially like their websites for their historic documentaries and their American Experience episodes. For example, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... roduction/ has a bunch of good stuff on Jesse James.

The aforementioned sites aren't usually among the first things to pop up in a search and you might have to click around a little to find the info you want, but ultimately they're a good source for information that is more or less accurate and unbiased.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

MickeyR0urke wrote: 100 Decisive Battles is also good. I'll use that if I write any questions about battles.
That book is really nice.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Post by Chandragupta Maurya »

Just thought I'd throw this out there:
The Encyclopedia of World History by Peter Stearns (http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Worl ... 943&sr=1-1) is an excellent resource for World History, since it covers practically everything with a fair amount of detail. It is also typeset well. It costs $90+ online, but I picked up a brand new copy for $16 at Half Price Books.
Also, I'd like to second/third any recommendations of Wikipedia, since it also covers absolutely everything in a great amount of detail.
Vimal Konduri
Cistercian Preparatory School '13
Harvard '17