"2011" BAJAC - Hackensack, NJ - 1/29/2012

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
jonpin
Auron

"2011" BAJAC - Hackensack, NJ - 1/29/2012

Post by jonpin »

Greetings! This is a preliminary announcement for a middle-school quiz bowl competition to be hosted by Bergen County Academies Quiz Bowl in Hackensack, NJ. Our tentative plan is to hold this tournament on Sunday, October 30, and we will be using an NAQT middle school set.

Specific rules, fees, format, and the like are still to be decided, but we will most likely use powers but no negs. I am aiming for teams to get 4-5 preliminary games in the morning and a 3 or 4-round single elimination playoff in the afternoon, which is to my understanding fairly similar to the format used for the County Championship of the local Bergen Brain Busters competition. I am in discussion with coaches of a few Brain Busters teams to make sure there are no big surprises in format.

Updated information: Due to the Hallowinter storm, we were forced to cancel BAJAC as originally scheduled on October 30. We have preliminary approval from school administration for a make-up date of Sunday, January 29, 2012 and that is the date we are running with.
I am aware that the proposed Connecticut tournament also mentioned that date, but I've not heard any more information from them about what they are planning, and we really don't have a large supply of weekends to choose from, between high school quiz bowl events, math team tournaments, and already-scheduled school activities (for instance, our quick-turnaround date of November 19 was rejected because of the school play taking up most of the available parking). We are still using NAQT MS-02 (the copies and the trophies are still sitting in my basement).

Obviously, the registration table is wiped clean, and I will be sending out an email by Friday to all who had previously registered.
Last edited by jonpin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: 2011 Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB can bring all the buzzers you'll ever need (we have at least 20 sets) and provide at least one volunteer reader for this, quite possibly 2-3.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Here is the letter mailed out to middle schools across Bergen County. Note that schools from outside Bergen County are more than welcome to attend.

Dear Teacher:
On behalf of the Quiz Bowl team at the Bergen County Academies, I wish to extend an invitation to the first ever Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition, a quiz bowl tournament for junior- or middle-schoolers. This competition will take place at the Bergen County Academies in Hackensack, NJ on Sunday, October 30, 2011. This event is a perfect opportunity for your school’s Gifted and Talented students, BrainBusters team, or any collection of interested students to work together in competition against other middle schools in the region, show off their knowledge, and learn new facts.
The games of the competition will be in “tossup-bonus” format. Two teams of four students each will attempt to buzz in to answer a tossup, with a correct answer earning points and the opportunity for the answerer’s team to hear a bonus. On bonuses, a team will have the opportunity to discuss as a group before giving an answer. A game will consist of twenty tossups and however many bonuses are used, and will take approximately 35 minutes. Teams will play roughly 4-5 games in the morning, followed by a lunch break and playoffs.
The registration fee for this tournament will be $75 for the first team from a school, and $60 for each additional team. A team may consist of up to six students, with four competing at one time (substitutions will be permitted at halftime and between games). Included in the registration fee, BCA will provide a breakfast of bagels and juice before the competition begins, one pizza per team for lunch (additional pies may be purchased), and trophies and medals for the high-performing teams and students. Each school is required to have an adult (either teacher or parent) with each team at all times, but is not required to provide a moderator. Note that teams are to register by school, not by town or school district. Students are eligible if they have not yet completed eighth grade.
National Academic Quiz Tournaments, a well-respected quiz bowl tournament provider, will be writing the questions for this event (Note: This tournament is using MS-02). NAQT has been writing for high school and college quiz bowl tournaments for more than 15 years and recently entered the middle-school market. No other tournament in northern New Jersey will have used these questions, nor will use these questions later in the 2011-12 school year. Sample tossups and bonuses from a 2010-11 middle school packet are included with this letter. The top 15% of competing teams will qualify to attend NAQT’s second annual Middle School National Championship Tournament, to be held in April 2012 in Chicago, IL.
If you have any questions about this tournament, please contact me at [email protected]. If you would like to register, please either fill out the below form and return it to the listed address or e-mail me with all the details so requested. We hope you choose to attend our tournament!
Sincerely,

Jonathan Pinyan
Bergen County Academies Quiz Bowl coach
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Any initial response? I'll see what I can do to get Ridgewood's 2 middle schools to come. Also, I'll spread the word to a few other middle school teachers I know.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We will try to bring a team or 2 from Bro. Joseph Fox Latin School (associated with Kellenberg Mem.). What time will you want us there?
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Current field update:

Ben Franklin Ridgewood (1-2)
Brother Fox Latin [NY] (2)
Cresskill (1)
Demarest (3)
Elizabeth Morrow (2+)
George Washington Ridgewood (apparently 1)
Hunter [NY] (1)
Independence School [DE] (2)
Mount Nittany [PA] (1)
Teaneck Community Charter (1)
Tuxedo Park School [NY] (3)

Total: 18-20 ish

Thanks, David.
Brother Nigel, breakfast is in the 8:30-9 range, with us scheduled to start play ~9:30.
Last edited by jonpin on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jon Pinyan

BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Jon,

We (Bro. Joseph Fox Latin School) will bring 2 teams and 1 or 2 buzzers. That should get you your 8 teams, right?
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Yes, it will. Tournament is officially a go. Please have your middle school coach email me with the information requested in the invitation, for our records.
Jon Pinyan

lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

We may have 1 team for this.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

As of this morning, it looks like Bro. Fox will be fielding only one team. We will bring one buzzer. Do you need me to moderate?
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Email sent to all registered coaches just now:
Greetings, coaches! Just four days until the first (hopefully annual) Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition (BAJAC). I hope you and your students are as excited as I am, and I'd like to update you all on the list of registered teams, the schedule of the day, and what you can do now to help make this run a little smoother on the day of the competition.

First, here is our current field. We have 18 teams from 11 schools in 4 states (NJ, NY, DE, PA).

Ben Franklin, 1 team or more
Brother Fox Latin, 1 team
Cresskill, 1 team
Demarest, 3 teams
Elizabeth Morrow, 3 teams (+3 pizzas)
George Washington, 1 team <-- please email me to confirm your registration!
Hunter College HS, 1 team
Independence, 2 teams
Mount Nittany, 1 team
Teaneck Charter, 1 team (+1 pizza)
Tuxedo Park, 3 teams

Ben Franklin has said that they may expand to extra teams; I need to know that today or by noon tomorrow, so that we can print question packets and schedules. George Washington has told David Madden they wish to attend, but they need to confirm that to me. Similarly, if anyone else needs to add or subtract a team, I need to know as soon as possible.

If you know now that you would like additional pizzas, please let me know ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be able to purchase them the morning of the competition when you check in.
The entry fee can be paid via check made out to "Student Activity Fund", or by cash. It is expected that you will have payment on the day of the competition. If you need to make other arrangements, please let me know ahead of time, so I can be prepared. Money for extra pizzas can be included in that check, but it would make my life easier if you paid for the pizzas in cash. Each team gets one pizza for free, additional ones are $15 each.

All coaches are requested to reply to me with a phone number that they can be reached at on the morning of the competition in case they are running late. There is a small chance that accommodations will be possible if you have to miss the first round, but I need to be able to reach you. My phone number is **********. Please let me know if you are running late.

Teams should arrive between 8:30 and 9:00 to the main entrance of the school (auditorium end). There will be BCA students and/or signs directing you to the upstairs cafeteria, where breakfast will be provided (some combination of juice, milk, donuts, bagels) for participating students and teachers (we ask that parents and siblings who have come to watch hold off on eating to make sure that all competitors get something to eat). Once all teams are present and have had a chance to sit down, we'll go over rules and the official schedule for the day, with an eye towards starting the first games between 9:30 and 9:45. All games will take place in the north wing of the school. If you have spectators arriving late, there will be signs pointing them in the right direction, and there will be schedules available once they reach the game area. Games are taking place in classrooms which have seating for between 10-20 students beyond the competing teams.

There will be 5 rounds in the morning. Teams will play either 4 or 5 games depending on the final number of teams. After the fifth round, all teams will return to the cafeteria for lunch, while the staff determines the final standings and playoff bracket. We will ask during the last round whether teams that have missed the playoffs will (1) leave, (2) watch the playoffs, or (3) play consolation games against other teams that missed the playoffs. We ask that all teams stay through lunch, as there are awards for the top individual scorers. At the conclusion of the playoffs, there will be trophies for the top four teams, as well as small trophies for every member of the first-place team.

I hope addressed everything, but if you have any questions, email me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. On Saturday, I will be attending a high school quiz bowl tournament with my team and will be unable to respond until about 6pm, so please try to get questions to me by Friday to ensure a timely answer.

Again, thank you for registering, and we look forward to seeing you on Sunday!
Jon Pinyan

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Please don't cancel this. I will make sure Ridgewood gets there - by dogsled if need be.
David Madden
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Jon - please get in touch with Nigel. He was wondering if the tournament is still happening.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

SHP Pirate wrote:Jon - please get in touch with Nigel. He was wondering if the tournament is still happening.
I left him a message a bit ago and will call him again now. TOURNAMENT IS CANCELLED.
Jon Pinyan

Great Bustard
Auron

Re: 2011 Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition - CANCELED

Post by Great Bustard »

Any word on whether this is being rescheduled, perhaps on 11/19?
David Madden
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

We finally got power back and returned to school yesterday. I have spoken to my administration and November 19 is not a feasible date, due to other events at the school. I will see about setting up a date in early 2012, and will update the thread and all participants if we get a replacement date. Until then, the trophies and questions are safely sitting in my basement.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

If you do reschedule for sometime in 2012, are 9th graders who have 2/3 of a snowed-out tournament under their belts eligible? I'd love to have my newbies get as many chances to compete as possible, but only if they are eligible.

EDIT: Never mind; I just read your 8th grade eligibility comment at the top of the thread. Sorry for not seeing this earlier. Oh well.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Re: "2011" BAJAC - Hackensack, NJ - 1/29/2012

Post by jonpin »

Bumped with new date.

Due to the Hallowinter storm, we were forced to cancel BAJAC as originally scheduled on October 30. We have preliminary approval from school administration for a make-up date of Sunday, January 29, 2012 and that is the date we are running with.

I am aware that the proposed Connecticut tournament also mentioned that date, but I've not heard any more information from them about what they are planning, and we really don't have a large supply of weekends to choose from, between high school quiz bowl events, math team tournaments, and already-scheduled school activities (for instance, our quick-turnaround date of November 19 was rejected because of the school play taking up most of the available parking). We are still using NAQT MS-02 (the copies and the trophies are still sitting in my basement).

Obviously, the registration table is wiped clean, and I will be sending out an email by Friday to all who had previously registered.
Jon Pinyan

jj7947
Kimahri

Post by jj7947 »

Hopefully the weather will stay positive for January 29.

User was reminded to add a signature.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Yes, I'm hoping so, too.

Final field update (1/26/2012, 16 teams):
Ben Franklin 3
Cresskill 1
Demarest 3
Elizabeth Morrow 2
Hunter (NY) 2
Independence (DE) 4
Teaneck Charter 1
Jon Pinyan

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bumped to post the final field update in the previous post. 16 teams scheduled for Sunday, emphasis on SUN.
Jon Pinyan

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Email just sent to all coaches:
Good evening.

I've woken up from my post-tournament recovery nap and am pleased to announce the results of the "2011" Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition. All teams played four rounds in the morning, and full results ("box scores" and statistics for teams and individuals) can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/89/stats/prelims/ By midweek, statistics from the playoff games will be entered and there will be a single page with all results; I'll send out a second link with that when it's done.
The top eight teams (highlighted in blue in the previous link) qualified for the playoffs. In the quarterfinals, #1 Indepedence-A defeated #8 Demarest-B 425-240 and #4 Ben Franklin-A defeated #5 Elizabeth Morrow-A 330-210. The bottom half of the bracket saw two very tight games. #7 Independence-B knocked off unbeaten #2 Demarest-C 250-230, and #3 Ben Franklin-C beat #6 Hunter 275-255, with both games featuring the winners getting revenge for an earlier loss.
The semifinals saw Independence-A defeat Ben Franklin-A a second time, this one by a score of 390-250. BF-A was ahead at halftime, but IND-A answered nine of ten second-half tossups to pull away. Meanwhile, Ben Franklin-C was always able to stay a few steps ahead of Independence-B, winning the other semifinal 310-220. Ben Franklin-A won the third place game, but I don't have the scoresheet for that in front of me.
The championship game was representative of Independence's strong and balanced performance, with Caleb earning 60 points and Paritosh earning 75 points, plus Mohan picking up two powers. The final score was Independence-A 475, Ben Franklin-C 185.

Much congratulations to Independence, and all members of that team and coach Tina Palmer. Congratulations also to Ben Franklin for taking both 2nd and 3rd place, plus the gold and silver medals for individual scoring, going to David S (BF-A) at 111.25 points per game, and Rebecca R (BF-C) at 97.5 PPG respectively. Eric Y (Demarest-C), Thomas H (Dem-B), and Caleb W (Ind-A) took home bronze medals for 3rd through 5th place scoring during the preliminary rounds.

Obviously, a tournament like this is impossible without some help, and I sincerely thank David Madden of the National History Bee and Bowl (http://historybee.com and http://historybowl.com) for volunteering to moderate this morning and providing several buzzer systems, without which this competition literally could not have happened. I also wish to thank Andrew Ibendahl for volunteering his day to staff. On an internal note, thanks to my fellow BCA teachers Dr. Judy Pinto and Dr. Todd Crane for being available to help chaperone and crowd control (it was Dr. Crane who alerted me you were all getting a little restless at lunchtime and to "get on with it") and my wonderful quiz bowl team. Also, and this is by no means last, thank you to all of you for coming and especially for being understanding with regards to the cancellation of our original date and the rescheduling. I heard a lot of students, coaches, and parents express their thanks for a well-run competition, but I know that without those students, coaches, and parents, there would be no competition.

If you have any comments whatsoever about the tournament, from question content to moderators to tournament structure, or suggestions about planning for the next event, feel free to let me know. One thing that I do ask is that, because NAQT licenses tournaments across the country, please do not discuss these questions with anyone who did not attend this tournament. This includes a request to please tell your students not to post to Facebook, their blog, or any public website remarks about what questions they answered correctly. I would like to invite you all to visit the Quiz Bowl Resource Center (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums), a national forum for discussion of Quiz Bowl at the middle school, high school, and college levels. Especially as your students enter high school next year, they can begin or join teams to compete at the high school events run each year in the New Jersey/New York City area (there are at least a dozen high school tournaments within an hour's drive of Hackensack).

Thank you all for coming and playing! It is my sincere hope that this becomes an annual event, and I will look into setting a date in October or November 2012 for BAJAC II. I'll let you know over the summer, and I invite you all to pass along word to your neighboring schools and teams so that next fall's event can be even bigger and better.

Jon Pinyan
Bergen County Academies Quiz Bowl
Cliff's Notes: Independence-A defeats Ben Franklin-C to win BAJAC "2011", with Ben Franklin-A defeating Independence-B for third place. David from BF-A top scorer. Much fun had by all.
Jon Pinyan

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Yeah, this was awesome to see. Very glad to see good Bergen County turnout and a great performance from BF. Thanks to Jon for putting this together, and sticking with it through the wackiness of the October snowstorm. North Jersey quizbowl needs every lift it can get, and this was a big one.
David Madden
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Full and final results available here.
Jon Pinyan

crippas
Kimahri

Post by crippas »

Did the make-up quiz bowl happen?

User was reminded to add a signature.
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

crippas wrote:Did the make-up quiz bowl happen?
The stats for the tournament were the last post in the thread before yours. The post before that was a write-up of the event. :monocle:
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)