MAGNI - 10/29/11 - UCSD

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

MAGNI - 10/29/11 - UCSD

Post by Auroni »

A lot of this is copied from the general announcement.

UCSD will be hosting MAGNI, a regular-difficulty mACF tournament on Saturday, Oct. 29. MAGNI is a collaboration between Chris Chiego and Auroni Gupta at UCSD, Matt Jackson, John Lawrence, and Kevin Koai at Yale, and Jerry Vinokurov. Several newer writers from UCSD will also be contributing to the project.

Questions:

We expect to write the entirety of 14 packets between us; as such, teams may play this tournament without writing questions or submitting packets.

Difficulty and Length:

MAGNI aims to invest the concept of “regular difficulty set” with a new or rediscovered meaning: We intend to write a set that we can earnestly encourage all collegiate teams to play and get points on. On one end, we are working hard to ensure that new / improving teams and former high school players still get plenty of points in some competitive games; on the other, prospective national championship teams and grizzled veterans will still be able to make a statement about how good they are by playing this set against one another. To this end, answer selection will be rooted deeply in real-world importance and across-the-board answerability. Tossups should feature enough early and middle clues to distinguish between the best full-strength teams while still being straightforward enough at their ends for the rest of the field to show what it knows at every opportunity. All bonuses will have an easy part that we expect to be answerable with little effort by the overwhelming majority of the nationwide field, a middle part that we expect half the field to know, and a hard part which will test deep knowledge of the subject matter among the top teams at each regional site.

In addition to controlling difficulty, we will also be controlling length. No tossup in this set will go past the seventh full line of text (measured in 10 point Times New Roman with 1-inch margins). We seek to ensure that individual bonus parts rarely exceed two lines in length.

If one needs a reference to previous tournaments as to what we aim for, ACF Regionals 2011, T-Party 2010, and Penn Bowl 2007 through 2010 (but not 2011) are decent reference points. If we err from those reference points, we seek to err slightly on the side of increased conversion. MAGNI will not be power-marked.

Eligibility:
This is a tournament for collegiate quizbowl teams. To that end, any teams consisting entirely of students (undergrad or grad) who attend the same school may play this tournament. Interested high school teams are eligible to play, as are solo players and teams which must play unaffiliated / unsponsored for whatever reason, but all such teams must consist entirely of students who attend one school. High schoolers enrolled in for-credit classes at a community college, college, or university may play for either school in which they are enrolled. Separate campuses of an overarching university count as separate schools.

NO open teams or non-students may register to play at any site of this tournament. This editors' decision is non-negotiable.
If you are still unclear as to whether you’re eligible to play on a given team, email Auroni Gupta (auronigupta AT gmail DOT com).

As an addendum to that, I will be putting in work to try to draw some of the less-active teams in our region to this tournament, which in many respects is being written with them in mind, so I will be mailing invitations to people I know on quizbowl teams from around the area. If you know anyone in other colleges around the area that might be interested in playing quizbowl, please tell them about our tournament. Enterprising high school teams are encouraged to attend, but be aware that there will be no additional discounts for doing so. (High school teams may still qualify for travel, buzzer, and moderator discounts just like any other team).

Price Structure:

Base fee: $70 per team, -$10 per subsequent team (3 teams thus being 100 + 90 + 80 = $270)
Buzzer discount: -$10 per working buzzer (at least 4 lights on each side)
Moderator discount: -$10 per competent moderator
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles traveled

To register: Email auronigupta AT gmail DOT com in order to register. Posting in this thread is enough to indicate interest, but is not enough to sign up.

Field:

House (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Claremont (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
Caltech (1 team, 1 buzzer)
ASU (2 teams)
Stanford (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Berkeley (1 team)
UCLA (1 team)
UCI (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Expressing Interest (email me to register!):

Total: 11 teams, 5 buzzers
Last edited by Auroni on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Re: MAGNI - 10/22/11 - UCSD

Post by Auroni »

This is in a little over a month. We'd love to see a field come together.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Re: MAGNI - 10/29/11 - UCSD

Post by Auroni »

Since there is nothing on the 29th, nobody signed up so far, and a scheduling conflict with Irvine's high school tournament, this tournament is now on Oct. 29.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've privately contacted several teams that should really be playing this tournament. I implore all other West Coast college tournament hosts to do the same. Collegiate Novice at UCLA today didn't really come together, and that's a shame. We should work together to fix this problem.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The base fee for this tournament is now reduced to $70. This is now something that your team can afford to pay out of pocket.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Blanford's Fringe-fingered Lizard wrote:Since there is nothing on the 29th, nobody signed up so far, and a scheduling conflict with Irvine's high school tournament, this tournament is now on Oct. 29.
Sorry you guys had to move the date before we found out that we're being charged insane amounts of money to run tournaments. I will do my best to get a team from Irvine there.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Crimson Rosella
Wakka

Post by Crimson Rosella »

Stanford should be able to send one team to this tournament. At the very least, I'll come and play solo.
Joey Montoya
University of South Carolina 2005-2010
Stanford University 2010-
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

We will be able to come to this with one team.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

I'd like to change Caltech's commitment to one contingent on finding transportation.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

As of now, we look to be able to have 2 teams.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Berkeley expresses interest in sending one team. Auroni, I'll have someone email you once we've made travel plans and can confirm registration.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Neat! I'll be very happy if you guys can make it.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Field update. Just a reminder for everyone to register if you haven't already, since this tournament is in just over 10 days.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Also, I will now cap the field at 11 teams, so register before it's too late.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

With a week to go, there are two spots left. Register ASAP to claim them. I will send an email out on the listserv with this information.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Caltech is having a hard time finding transport, so that could grow to three spots in the next few days.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

We're at 10 teams. There's 1 spot left.

We have 3 buzzers but will likely need 3 more, so if I don't have you down for one, please try to bring it. Slapbowl sucks.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Caltech now has transportation and a buzzer system.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Our field is now capped and the registrations are closed. I talked to the Scheduling Office today -- they will contact me back with rooms and I'll send an email to a representative of every school once I know what's going on with that.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

We'd be able to bring our buzzer, but we haven't used it in like 2 months so I can't guarantee that it will work.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Stats for this are here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/54/stats/prelims/. Lots of people are withholding scoresheets from me, something I have to fix over lunch.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Stats are updated through lunch.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

UCI cleared the field to win 10-0. Second through sixth places were taken by UCSD, Berkeley, Caltech, ASU A, and Stanford. The stats are here, but lots of lower bracket games are missing: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/54/stats/combined/
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

All of the lower bracket games that I have have been entered.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)