Question regarding Economics

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Question regarding Economics

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I've got a couple of conflicting answers on this question, so I ask if anyone here has the knowledge base to give me a definitive answer. Is the Iron Law of Wages something that should be primarily associated with David Ricardo or with Thomas Malthus? I have seen Ricardo pop up in conjunction with this clue many times, but an economics grad student is insisting that this is wrong, and I'm not really qualified to judge.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Re: Question regarding Economics

Post by No Electricity Required »

My understanding is that Malthusian theories were reformulated by Ferdinand Lassalle into what is now called the Iron Law of Wages, but that David Ricardo was the first to actually develop the theory of the Iron Law of Wages. As far as I know Malthus never actually talked about the Iron Law of Wages, but that his theories formed a big part of the background of the Iron Law.

Edit: I'm not sure if Lassalle called his concept the "Iron Law of Wages" or if that is what we retrospectively call the thing he talked about in his writings.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Cubfan125
Lulu

Post by Cubfan125 »

I just checked it out on the Torrey Pines Database. Definitely go with Ricardo ... every time a question mentions it (and is asking for an economist), the answer's him
Alex Kling
Latin School of Chicago class of 2012
Williams College class of 2016
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That's not what is being asked. We know Ricardo always is the answer to associate with the iron law of wages, it just isn't clear that that is or isn't in error.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Is the Iron Law of Wages something that should be primarily associated with David Ricardo or with Thomas Malthus?
The primary question was who to associate with the Iron Law of Wages; the answer is definitively Ricardo. Who actually came up with Iron Law of Wages is something that can be debated.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I hope this serves as a word to the wise that the phrase "primarily associated with" is a pretty vague one, and question writers should avoid it in favor of better descriptive phrasing if at all possible so as to best factually describe the relationship between things in the clues and the thing that is the answer.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Matt, you're also missing the point. I don't think Joshua is asking what people should buzz with if they say "This person is primarily associated with yadda yadda"
whitesoxfan wrote:
Joshua Rutsky wrote:Is the Iron Law of Wages something that should be primarily associated with David Ricardo or with Thomas Malthus?
The primary question was who to associate with the Iron Law of Wages; the answer is definitively Ricardo. Who actually came up with Iron Law of Wages is something that can be debated.
This is the point.

A quiz bowl player currently "primarily associates" the Iron Law with Ricardo. But quiz bowl as a whole should be accurate, so should quiz bowl BE associating Iron Law with Ricardo, or should we be associating it with Malthus?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

jonpin wrote: A quiz bowl player currently "primarily associates" the Iron Law with Ricardo. But quiz bowl as a whole should be accurate, so should quiz bowl BE associating Iron Law with Ricardo, or should we be associating it with Malthus?
That.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)