PACE NSC 2011: Quick recap and Thanks

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Gautam
Auron

PACE NSC 2011: Quick recap and Thanks

Post by Gautam »

Good Morning,

I would like to extend my hearty congratulations to State College Area High School for their admirable first-place finish in the 2011 PACE NSC. My good wishes also extend to Hunter College A, who came in second at the tournament. I did not get a chance to see any games at the tournament, but from the scoresheets and the numbers I was seeing at this tournament, I was only impressed by the scores of all the teams playing this tournament. There were some very high scoring games and some close high scoring games which would have been very fun to watch.

The stats for the tournament are going to be posted by the inestimable Donald Taylor fairly soon; he is still going to be traveling over the next couple of days, so he might find slightly difficult to post the stats in the next 24 hours. We will try to get the stats posted soon. In the meanwhile, we should be able to post the final standings for teams ASAP.

I want to thank Andrew Hart, as he has been the most excellent person to work with for the 2011 NSC. I couldn't have asked for a better co-TD. He worked hard on making sure that we could pull off the best NSC possible, and I am glad that I was able to collaborate with him on a tournament of this size.

Of course, we could not have pulled this together without all the staffers who devoted their entire weekend for the NSC. Specifically I would like to thank:
Andy Watkins, Guy Tabachnick, Auroni Gupta, Andy Wehrman, Mike Bentley, Ahmad Ragab, Cara Weisman, Chris Chiego,
Brendan Colson, Ian Eppler, James Garcia, Dan Goff, Neva O'Laughlin, Jonah Greenthal, Paul Nelson, Trygve Meade, Jeff Hoppes, Phong Nguyen, Matt Bollinger, Kurtis Droge, Ben Forster, Brad Fischer, Sam Bailey, Brent Houlding,
Kristen Strey, Connie Prater, Billy Busse, Greg Bossick, Mark Taylor, Nick Clusserath, Mark Hahnenberg, Sarah Angelo
Bryan Berend, Isaac Hirsch, Ben Cole, Andrew Kahn, Dallin Kelson, Ethan Hewett, Aaron Rosenberg, Steve Yang,
Julia Wang, Mike Cheyne, Will Schneider, Gordon Arsenoff, Aaron Goldfein, Matt Jackson, Jack Glerum,
Stephen Fontenot, Sarah Snyder, Dan Donohue, David Madden, Jacob O'Rourke, Mike Perivanovic, Tony Fressola, and Victor Kluck of Slammer Systems.

for helping staff the NSC. I would also like to thank the staffers from Clover Hill and Lisle whose names I unfortunately cannot recall immediately. I never once heard any complaints about a moderator.

Of course, of equal import, if not more, was the immense amount of work put in by the bracket operators and their assistants. This tournament could not have proceeded well without the help of Matt Weiner, Fred Morlan, Jeffrey Hill, George Berry, Charles Martin, Harry White, Bryce Durgin, and Jeff Geringer. These guys were really really integral to ensuring that results were being relayed to us, communicating with the staffers, running the brackets as efficiently as possible, etc.

The 2011 NSC would not have been possible without the hundreds or thousands of hours of work put in by the editors in producing the packets for the tournament. For that I would like to thank Mike Bentley, Matt Bollinger, Rob Carson, Kyle Haddad-Fonda, Hannah Kirsch, Trygve Meade, Bernadette Spencer, Guy Tabachnick, and, of course, Andy Watkins. I wanted to work on the tournament myself early in the 2010-11 academic year, but I decided against it. In retrospect, I don't think I could possibly have assembled a team as diverse in producing a strong set that was well liked by teams.

The enormous amount of work put in by Gaurav Kandlikar is also commendable. I drafted him into helping staff the NSC only two weeks ago, and he was instrumental to making the tournament proceed properly. All texts you received about your seeds and locations for the playoff and superplayoff brackets were sent by Gaurav, and he did them during very stressful periods of transition.

I would also like to thank Dan Donohue for his immense help in securing rooms for the tournament, arranging technical services when necessary, communicating to us about the NU area, helping us get in touch with the facilities management at NU, etc. Dan tried as much as he could to make sure that the rooms were all available in a central area, but unfortunately the facilities department were not able to secure rooms for us in one or two buildings.

I would also like to thank Donald Taylor in taking care of the statistics. As I mentioned earlier, he will be traveling for a little while, so I expect that the stats will be up by the middle of the week. Donald also took a load of responsibility in making sure the staffers' accommodations and needs were met before, during, and after the tournament.

I would also like to thank Nick Bergeon and David Garb for running a live blog of the tournament. It is a very awesome that they were able to visit the various brackets and report on teams' performance, and I am sure parents and well-wishers found it invaluable to know how their sons/daughters/favorite teenagers were doing at this tournament.

Lastly, I would like to thank fellow members of PACE and the quizbowl community who helped recruit teams, helped in determining seeding for the NSC, and did a million other things before, during, and after the tournament.

I know there are tens of other people who I have to thank but may be forgetting right now. If I missed any of you, I sincerely apologize; it is not out of malice that I left you out of my note, but merely due to my inability to recall some minute details of the tournament which, in retrospect, seem hazy.

I hope that teams had a good experience at the 2011 NSC. To the directors of future NSCs, and the teams that will attend those NSCs, I wish them the best.

--Gautam Kandlikar
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: PACE NSC 2011: Quick recap and Thanks

Post by theMoMA »

PACE NSC 2011 team finish list (someone with access please crosspost to PACE's website).

Chera

1. State College (6-1, won finals)
2. Hunter A (6-1)
3. LASA (5-2)
4. Stevenson (4-3)
5. Maggie Walker (3-4, won tiebreaker)
6. Bellarmine (3-4)
7. Rockford Auburn A (1-6)
8. St. Ignatius (0-7)

Rastrakuta

9. Dorman A (7-0)
10. Detroit Catholic Central A (4-3, 1st in tiebreaker)
11. Alpharetta (4-3, 2nd in tiebreaker)
12. Dunbar (4-3, 3rd in tiebreaker)
13. Thomas Jefferson A (4-3)
14. Seven Lakes (2-5, won tiebreaker)
15. Sidney Lanier Experience (2-5)
16. Thomas Jefferson B (1-6)

Pandya

17. Northmont A (6-1, won statistical tiebreaker)
18. Torrey Pines (6-1)
19. St. Anselm’s (5-2)
20. Cistercian (4-3)
21. Olmsted Falls (3-4)
22. Richard Montgomery (2-5, won statistical tiebreaker)
23. Dorman B (2-5)
24. Mission San Jose (0-7)

Satavahana

25. IMSA (5-0)
26. Carbondale (4-1)
27. Oak Park River Forest (3-2)
28. Lisgar A (2-3)
29. Detroit Catholic Central B (1-4)
30. Lisle (0-5)

Vijayanagar

31. Loyola (4-1)
32. Clayton (3-2, 1st in tiebreaker)
33. Walter Johnson (3-2, 2nd in tiebreaker)
34. Hunter B (3-2, 3rd in tiebreaker)
35. St. Joseph’s (NJ) (1-4, won tiebreaker)
36. New Trier (1-4)

Kakatiya

37. Rock Bridge A (5-0)
38. Quince Orchard (3-2, won tiebreaker)
39. Walnut Hills (3-2, lost tiebreaker)
40. Dunbar B (2-3)
41. Eden Prairie (1-4, won tiebreaker)
42. Rockford Auburn B (1-4)

Hoysala

43. Macomb (5-0)
44. Northmont B (3-2, 1st in statistical tiebreaker)
45. Clover Hill (3-2, 2nd in statistical tiebreaker)
46. Simon Kenton (3-2, 3rd in statistical tiebreaker)
47. Jefferson City (1-4)
48. Helias (0-5)

Asaf Jahi

49. Harding (5-0)
50. Frenchtown (3-2)
51. Villa Duchesne (2-3, 1st in statistical tiebreaker)
52. Centennial (IL) (2-3, 2nd in statistical tiebreaker)
53. Rock Bridge B (2-3, 3rd in statistical tiebreaker)
54. Danville (1-4)

Mysore

55. Lisgar B (4-1, won statistical tiebreaker)
56. Fenton (4-1)
57. Wauconda (3-2)
58. Oakville (2-3)
59. Parkway West (1-4)
60. Bainbridge (1-4, forfeited Sunday games)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

theMoMA wrote:PACE NSC 2011 team finish list (someone with access please crosspost to PACE's website).
I've updated the results page with the complete rundown.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

The Motley Eye wrote:
theMoMA wrote:PACE NSC 2011 team finish list (someone with access please crosspost to PACE's website).
I've updated the results page with the complete rundown.
Thanks Dan!
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are the stats ever being posted? I thought this was supposed to happen on like Monday.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Are the stats ever being posted? I thought this was supposed to happen on like Monday.
When I asked Donald last night, he said he was cleaning some things up and they'd be ready tomorrow.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
The Goffman Prophecies

Donald has passed along statistics for the preliminary rounds - they are linked on the results page as well
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

The Motley Eye wrote:Donald has passed along statistics for the preliminary rounds - they are linked on the results page as well
Any word on when the rest of the stats will be ready?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
The Goffman Prophecies

waddle1 wrote:
The Motley Eye wrote:Donald has passed along statistics for the preliminary rounds - they are linked on the results page as well
Any word on when the rest of the stats will be ready?
Playoff statistics are up now; superplayoffs likely won't be ready until tomorrow night.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

TJ A is listed as going 3-2 in the playoffs.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Any word on when the set will be posted?
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
The Goffman Prophecies

A Barehanded Telethon Mirth Gun wrote:TJ A is listed as going 3-2 in the playoffs.
This was corrected and updated playoff stats have been posted.

The superplayoff stats are also now posted.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

The bonus stats for the Helias vs. Clover Hill game are messed up.

edit: also in Danville vs. Champaign Centennial, IMSA vs. Lisle, and Hunter B vs. Walter Johnson.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

We used our real names this tournament, for once. Christoph's real name is Christoph, not Christopher
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Are composite stats for every phase of the tournament also going to be posted, so that overall records, including any tie-breaking games and wild-card games, will all be included, as well as overall individual stats and, of course, final overall standings?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Smuttynose Island

TJ B went 1-6 in the Superplayoffs, the only team we beat was Seven Lakes. You have our Dorman B rather than Dunbar A game carrying over from the playoffs.
Daniel Hothem
The Goffman Prophecies

Thanks everyone; these errors will be fixed and there will be a combined set of stats generated for the entire tournament. Look for them later this week.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Another error: Anish from Carbondale was not in fact present at this tournament, and should have no games played or tossups answered. I believe the 1/1 he ascribed to him in the playoffs are rightfully Prerak Trivedi's.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

Chametz wrote:Another error: Anish from Carbondale was not in fact present at this tournament, and should have no games played or tossups answered. I believe the 1/1 he ascribed to him in the playoffs are rightfully Prerak Trivedi's.
On a similar note, Eric's (from IMSA) performance against Carbondale on Sunday was, for some reason, accredited to Nolan Maloney, who was notably not present at this tournament.
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
The Goffman Prophecies

Thanks - these will be taken care of. I also noticed that the Dunbar A - Torrey Pines game was also incorrectly carried over instead of Dorman B - Torrey Pines. Donald is fixing these and we will get them uploaded.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
The Goffman Prophecies

Apologies for the delay in getting this up before today, but here are the combined stats.

All the errors mentioned have been corrected.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS

Are the tiebreakers not being included?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Are the tiebreakers not being included?
Could you clarify?
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Not a huge deal, but Bobby Dorigo Jones on our team was 11th grade, and Brandon Roach was 10th grade.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015

Well, just looking at Rock Bridge A, we played a half packet tiebreaker between rounds 5 and 6 against Cistercian that we lost. We also played a half packet tiebreaker against New Trier that we lost. I see neither of these games in our standings. I haven't looked at whether or not the same tiebreakers (and the other, more infamous ones) are included in other teams' stats, but if they aren't, it seems to me that they really should be included in the complete, aggregate statistics, if not the other pages.

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Yeah, we played wild-card games against Hunter B and Torrey Pines and a tiebreaker against Quince Orchard, and none of those are included.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Clayton still has extraneous player names for the playoff rounds, it seems. These could probably be merged.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter B is listed as having 80 BHrd in their game against Walter Johnson.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

lchen wrote:Hunter B is listed as having 80 BHrd in their game against Walter Johnson.
I'm not impressed. IMSA heard 100 against Lisle.

EDIT: Also, Lisle heard 70 against DCC B, Helias hit 180 against Clover Hill, and Champaign Centennial got 110 in a match.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Errors: Email me the details of the errors at donaldtaylor dot pace at gmail. Include the round, and the teams playing. The IMSA/Lisle error is fixed, but the others are not.

As for the other games: I still have the scoresheets that were given to me, I'll put together the tiebreaker and wild-card rounds based on that. I will upload them in a distinct file, sorted by round.

I will be out of town from Wednesday morning until Monday night, with limited computer access and no access to the scoresheets. I will do my best to take care of issues brought to my attention before then.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I am pretty sure that "Ikshan" and "Ikshu" from Clayton are not distinct persons and are instead different names for the same very gifted and talented player. This suggests that his separate scores should be combined, unless of course I am in error here.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Edward Powers wrote:I am pretty sure that "Ikshan" and "Ikshu" from Clayton are not distinct persons and are instead different names for the same very gifted and talented player. This suggests that his separate scores should be combined, unless of course I am in error here.
This resulted from a typo in the superplayoff file. I should have rectified this for the third tier stats, and will fix it for the combined.
logic2718
Lulu

Post by logic2718 »

Thanks for catching the typo on my name. However, it seems that all of the players on my team are listed only by their first names for the superplayoff rounds. I'm not sure if that prevents their superplayoff stats from being linked to their stats from the earlier rounds when presented in the combined statistics, but if it does, their names are: Charlie Beard, Neerav Goswami, Alex Meneses, and Sagar Yadama.
Also, the combined stats list me as having only played 4 games superplayoff games, as opposed to the 15 total games I played. I'm not sure if that will be fixed when the typo is edited, since the combined stats list me as "Ikshu" anyway.
Ikshu Neithalath
Clayton High School '11
Stanford '15

So is the NSC set never going to be posted, or is Andy Watkins still watching Gordon Heyward stream Starcraft II games and going to get around to those formatting problems any minute now?

Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:So is the NSC set never going to be posted, or is Andy Watkins still watching Gordon Heyward stream Starcraft II games and going to get around to those formatting problems any minute now?
I can't speak to why the set hasn't been posted, but I can tell you that Andy is on vacation with his family and doesn't have regular Internet access.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auroni Gupta (she/her)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I just made some fixes to the overall stats. The delay in this is entirely on me, I was out of town for a week, and could not access the files.

The TJ B duplicate game was removed. I did catch the issue with Clayton's roster, that should be resolved.

I plan on making sure I have all the tiebreakers and wild-card games before I enter them. I should have those up fairly soon.
logic2718
Lulu

Post by logic2718 »

In the superplayoff stats, I'm still listed "Ikshan," and my teammates are still listed only by first name. Also, I'm not sure how the happened, but now in the combined stats, my teammate Charlie Beard is listed with way more points than he had, and I'm listed with way less. In fact, it almost seems as if our stats were flipped.
Ikshu Neithalath
Clayton High School '11
Stanford '15
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

logic2718 wrote:In the superplayoff stats, I'm still listed "Ikshan," and my teammates are still listed only by first name. Also, I'm not sure how the happened, but now in the combined stats, my teammate Charlie Beard is listed with way more points than he had, and I'm listed with way less. In fact, it almost seems as if our stats were flipped.
Once I get the tiebreakers and playoff stats up, I'll take a look at this.

Given the roster confusion created by not having it, this will likely involve going through each round individually and finding the scoresheets.

It's 3:54 in the afternoon. Do you know where your complete PACE stats that are well over 30 days late are?

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

College Park Spyders wrote:It's 3:54 in the afternoon. Do you know where your complete PACE stats that are well over 30 days late are?
I'm still working on the Clayton issue. At this point, I've sifted through the scoresheets, and will have to fix all of Clayton's games individually.

As for the tiebreakers, I'll go ahead and enter them, despite missing at least one.

Apologies for the tardiness, as this took a backseat to the real world.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

dtaylor4 wrote:
College Park Spyders wrote:It's 3:54 in the afternoon. Do you know where your complete PACE stats that are well over 30 days late are?
I'm still working on the Clayton issue. At this point, I've sifted through the scoresheets, and will have to fix all of Clayton's games individually.

As for the tiebreakers, I'll go ahead and enter them, despite missing at least one.

Apologies for the tardiness, as this took a backseat to the real world.
I hope this is going well.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Still sifting through Clayton's stuff, I was also out of town for a week or so.

Dan Goff should have what I was given with regards to tiebreakers and whatnot.
The Goffman Prophecies

dtaylor4 wrote:Still sifting through Clayton's stuff, I was also out of town for a week or so.

Dan Goff should have what I was given with regards to tiebreakers and whatnot.
Just shot you an email about this.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
The Goffman Prophecies

Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Rompimientos del Centauro
Lulu

Post by Rompimientos del Centauro »

The Motley Eye wrote:Tiebreakers are available at http://pace-nsc.org/2011nsc/2011_PACE_N ... etail.html
Stats for the finals are listed instead of Hunter A's tiebreaker against Dunbar A.
York Chen
Hunter '12
Vassar '16
The Goffman Prophecies

Caterpillar D6 wrote:
The Motley Eye wrote:Tiebreakers are available at http://pace-nsc.org/2011nsc/2011_PACE_N ... etail.html
Stats for the finals are listed instead of Hunter A's tiebreaker against Dunbar A.
D'oh. I'll fix this as soon as I can get the stats for the game from Donald.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Smuttynose Island

TJ B's tiebreaker game against Torrey Pines is not added.
Daniel Hothem

Yeah there are all kinds of tiebreakers added. Also, regardless of what Donald erroneously thinks, they should in fact be included in the overall statistics. That's the whole point of combined statistics, they're supposed to show the results of every single game teams played. And it's silly to say they had no impact on final standing - they had a much more direct impact on where you finished than most prelim games.