DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jjones
Lulu

DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

Post by jjones »

Academic Team Coaches:

It is my pleasure to announce the Detroit Catholic Central Academic Tournament which will be held Saturday, February 26th at Detroit Catholic Central High School’s new campus at 27225 Wixom Road, Novi, MI 48374. The tournament is open to all high school teams. Teams will consist of four students with any number of eligible substitutions. If there is sufficient interest, we will consider having a JV play-off open to students in grades nine (9) and ten (10). However, all teams will compete together in the morning rounds. Please indicate whether or not you are interested in sending Varsity or JV teams on your registration form.

Snacks, coffee and juice will be provided to all teams free of charge during registration. For lunch teams are on their own; however, there are many nearby fast-food options available on Grand River Ave or Wixom Road. Maps for lunch options will be provided to schools on the day of the tournament.

The tournament is house written and a sample round can be found on our website. Each game will consist of two ten-question halves per match. Every team will play six matches in the morning session. Teams will then be rebracketed for afternoon play with the top six teams competing in a championship bracket and the remaining teams placed in consolation brackets. Trophies will be given to the top four teams in the varsity division. If JV divisions are played, the top two teams in the junior varsity division will also receive trophies. Tournament matches will consist of the following:

• 10 Pyramid-style tossups worth 10 points and three (3) related bonuses worth 10 points each
• Powers (15 instead of 10) will be awarded to teams that buzz in early and answer the question correctly.
• Penalties of neg 5s (-5 points) will be given to teams that interrupt the question with an incorrect response. No penalty will be awarded to teams that answer incorrectly at the end of the question.
• Each team will be allowed one (1) one-minute time-out per game.

All questions will be read during the matches. Substitutions will be allowed between rounds and during either team’s time out.

The fee structure is as follows:
• $55 cost per team
• $10 discount per buzzer system
• $10 travel discount for teams making a 150 mile round trip

Please make all checks made payable to Catholic Central Academic Team.
Detroit Catholic Central High School
27225 Wixom Road
Novi, MI 48374

We look forward to all of you coming to our tournament. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Inquiries can be made to jjones [at] catholiccentral [dot] net.

Sincerely,
Last edited by jjones on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
jjones
Lulu

Re: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

Post by jjones »

A sample round for this tournament can be found here:
Sample Round.doc
Sample Round
(154.32 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
My team is feverishly editing these rounds to make sure they are tournament ready. We welcome suggestions for improvement on the sample round, and would consider making the tournament available for mirrors after the February 26th initial date. Contact me if interested: jjones [at] catholiccentral [dot] net
Last edited by jjones on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
jjones
Lulu

Post by jjones »

Field Update
Detroit Country Day (2)
Redford Thurston (2)
Novi (2)
Tippecanoe (1)
Sand Creek (2)
Kent City (1)
St. Francis de Sales High School (2)
Last edited by jjones on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
Newsteinleo
Lulu

Post by Newsteinleo »

Pertaining to the sample round, is it just a coincidence that the tiebreaker is a pop culture tossup?
Peter
Novi '11
Michigan '15
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Newsteinleo wrote:Pertaining to the sample round, is it just a coincidence that the tiebreaker is a pop culture tossup?
considering its a sample question, and the question is on eminem, no.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
jjones
Lulu

Post by jjones »

In an attempt to clarify, the distribution for this tournament is as follows:

4 Literature
4 History/ Current Events
4 Science
3 Fine Arts
2 Religon/ Mythology / Philosophy
2 Geography
1 Trash

The bonuses are related bonuses, so the distribution there reflects the distribution of the toss-ups. The tie breakers reflect the same overall distribution; however, they are randomly placed. Total number of trash toss-ups for the tournament (including tie-breakers) is 12, which represents less than 5% of the entire tournament.

Hope this helps,
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Wait, so no social sciences?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I assume you mean 20 pyramidal tossups in your initial announcement? Considering that this distribution has twenty slots.

Also, if there's one trash per round, that's 5% of the tournament, not less... unless you're saying that there's no trash tiebreaker, and so therefore it's less than 5%, which is silly--it only applies if there's a tie.
Andrew Watkins
jjones
Lulu

Post by jjones »

A Barehanded Telethon Mirth Gun wrote:Wait, so no social sciences?
Social science is represented at the tournament, but it doesn't receive its own category. Things like political science and economics likely occur in the history category, and philosophy, psychology or sociology likely are included in RMP.
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:I assume you mean 20 pyramidal tossups in your initial announcement? Considering that this distribution has twenty slots.

Also, if there's one trash per round, that's 5% of the tournament, not less... unless you're saying that there's no trash tiebreaker, and so therefore it's less than 5%, which is silly--it only applies if there's a tie.
Since the question was posed regarding the types of tie breakers in the tournament, I figured it was germaine to the discussion to include those questions in the overall numbers. True, most of them won't be heard, but if our poster is concerned that all tie breakers will be decided on one's knowledge of Emeniem, I was hoping to allay his fears.
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
Newsteinleo
Lulu

Post by Newsteinleo »

Is novi signed up?
Peter
Novi '11
Michigan '15
jjones
Lulu

Post by jjones »

Newsteinleo wrote:Is novi signed up?
Yes, for one team.
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

For those interested, Detroit Country Day finished in first place and Novi A took second.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
jjones
Lulu

Post by jjones »

Sorry for the delay, but stats for the DCCAT are posted here. I merged both the prelim and playoff stats into one report.

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Jason Jones
Academic Team Coach
Novi, MI
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

Post by theflyingdeutschman »

Packet 8 question 5:
Imma let you finish, but that is the worst tossup of all time
ALL TIME
EDIT: I meant packet 11, hence my obnoxious form of post.
Last edited by theflyingdeutschman on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
University Of Southern California '17
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

theflyingdeutschman wrote:Packet 8 question 5:
Imma let you finish, but that is the worst tossup of all time
ALL TIME
Are you kidding me? That is an absolutely bizarre statement to make unless I am SOMEHOW looking at a different packet eight. Even if I am then your claims that anything written in 2011 can somehow compare to the terrible questions of the past suggest you have no idea how good you have it to be playing quizbowl when and where you do.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

I meant packet 11. It's not the worst tossup ever, but one of the worst in recent history.
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

These questions are posted online or something?

EDIT: Ah, so they are... http://quizbowlpackets.com/archive/2011DCCAT/
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Question in Question wrote: 5. Although he had a separated shoulder, Matthew Stafford was able to do this by throwing the game-winning touchdown pass in a game against the Cleveland Browns in 2009. After being dragged back to the underworld by Hermes, Sisyphus was forced to roll a boulder up a hill which always rolled back down, meaning he would never be able to do (*) this with regard to his task. Although the release date for his album Detox has been pushed back over six years, Dr. Dre claims that he has almost done this with his album. An incident in which one person was notably told she would be allowed to do this involved an assertion that Beyonce’s video for “Single Ladies” was the greatest video of all time. For ten points, name this action that Kanye West told Taylor Swift he would let her do at the 2009 MTV VMA’s.
Answer: Finish (accept become the youngest to throw for five touchdown passes in a single game before “Hermes”, lead the Detroit Lions to victory before “game-winning,” also accept anything close to finish including but not limited to “complete,” “succeed,” “accomplish,” etc.)
There are a number of problems one might have with this question...
Nicholas C
KQBA member
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Im not sure why that particular tossup was selected, but having seen the set on the archive, I agree about being lucky in our region. That being said, compared to the excellent questions produced by St Anselms/Torrey Pines as well as WashU, these are undeniably poor. Many of the tossups are on ridiculous topics (Veracruz, Graham Greene, Far From the Madding Crowd), and also packet 11 bonus 9, the question about Tacoma has only one clue which is Gonzaga University, which is not even located in Tacoma, but in Spokane. Another thing I see is asking about Paton without mentioning Cry, the Beloved Country. I have only glanced the 2 packets my colleague mentioned so far.
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The mythological clue is not so hot, but I see absolutely no problem with the rest of this tossup. You kids these days, when I was your age, we had to walk to tournaments barefeet in the snow to hear binary matching questions involving elements and their atomic masses and WE LIKED IT.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

lol haha, but there are so many excellent mirrors out there, whose writers deserve their work to be used more often around the country
Daniel Galitsky
Lion81
Lulu

Post by Lion81 »

I just remember the "finish" question blowing my mind when it went from talking about football to greek mythology. I also love the range of possible acceptable answers :)
Harsha Gotur
Novi High School
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

These questions are really good, however in round 11 question 9's bonus, the second question is incorrect. Gonzaga University is located on the complete opposite side of the state of Washington, in Spokane, not Tacoma. edit: other poster mentioned this.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

Hilltopper22 wrote:
The Question in Question wrote: 5. Although he had a separated shoulder, Matthew Stafford was able to do this by throwing the game-winning touchdown pass in a game against the Cleveland Browns in 2009. After being dragged back to the underworld by Hermes, Sisyphus was forced to roll a boulder up a hill which always rolled back down, meaning he would never be able to do (*) this with regard to his task. Although the release date for his album Detox has been pushed back over six years, Dr. Dre claims that he has almost done this with his album. An incident in which one person was notably told she would be allowed to do this involved an assertion that Beyonce’s video for “Single Ladies” was the greatest video of all time. For ten points, name this action that Kanye West told Taylor Swift he would let her do at the 2009 MTV VMA’s.
Answer: Finish (accept become the youngest to throw for five touchdown passes in a single game before “Hermes”, lead the Detroit Lions to victory before “game-winning,” also accept anything close to finish including but not limited to “complete,” “succeed,” “accomplish,” etc.)
There are a number of problems one might have with this question...
The thing is, until the end, it's obvious what happened in each of these events, just not clear what the question is looking for. I can imagine people saying: win, walk off the field, get a reward, reign victorious ect...
The point is that this is more of a riddle than an academic question.
As a whole though, this set had a good amount of bad questions. Another glaringly bad one is

"8. This nation was once a part of the Principality of Carantania. In 1991, it achieved its independence and is currently led by President Danilo Turk and Prime Minister Borut Pahor. Its highest peak, Mount Triglav, lies in the interior, and the lowest point is at the Adriatic Sea, to its southwest. It is the third most forested country in Europe behind Finland and Sweden. Its (*) Karst Plateau gives its name to Karst topography, mainly composed of limestone regions of rivers, gorges, and caves. FTP, name this former Yugoslavian nation that has its capital at the city of Ljubljana (pronounced: Lah-jub-lah-jana)
Answer: Slovenia"

The clue "It is the third most forested country in Europe behind Finland and Sweden." is absolutely terrible, and even the best geography person on my team, Raynell Cooper, who powers almost all geo questions, only got this one at the end with the capital, Ljubiljana.
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Karst topography is notably kind of important.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

even the best geography person on my team, Raynell Cooper, who powers almost all geo questions, only got this one at the end with the capital, Ljubiljana.
That's a really bad metric for analyzing a question's quality.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
even the best geography person on my team, Raynell Cooper, who powers almost all geo questions, only got this one at the end with the capital, Ljubiljana.
Agreed.

EDIT: Also, Sam, since when did you become an authority on question-writing?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

I'm not saying it's a good metric, but my point is that the question as a whole is extremely difficult, and that is one example.

And Ray, I am not an expert, but this set is particularly bad, compared to other recent housewritten sets(St. Anselms)
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

theflyingdeutschman wrote:
I'm not saying it's a good metric, but my point is that the question as a whole is extremely difficult, and that is one example.

And Ray, I am not an expert, but this set is particularly bad, compared to other recent housewritten sets(St. Anselms)
Let's get a player's opinion on this set, someone who has played this set. It looked like this set was pretty gettable for the good to decent teams.
Thomas Moore
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

I think this is amazing.
Nick
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

"8. This nation was once a part of the Principality of Carantania. In 1991, it achieved its independence and is currently led by President Danilo Turk and Prime Minister Borut Pahor. Its highest peak, Mount Triglav, lies in the interior, and the lowest point is at the Adriatic Sea, to its southwest. It is the third most forested country in Europe behind Finland and Sweden. Its (*) Karst Plateau gives its name to Karst topography, mainly composed of limestone regions of rivers, gorges, and caves. FTP, name this former Yugoslavian nation that has its capital at the city of Ljubljana (pronounced: Lah-jub-lah-jana)
I know Danilo Turk because of a running inside joke with some debate friends, but an Economist archive search indicates that he's of negligible importance. In all, I don't think this is a glowing display of pyramidality, but I bet some people buzzed correctly on Karst and maybe Triglav. I don't think the description of Karst topography or the location of Mount Triglav are all that critical to this question. The same goes for the European forest rankings, for which the clue is probably misphrased, since there are several bigger nations that would have more forest land. Could this question possibly be referring to percentage of land that is forest? Either way, it's mostly unhelpful because it could be interpreted either way and would probably not lead a player to think of Slovenia.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

2. Falls of Kaaterskill, Schroon Mountain, The Voyage of Life
Answer: Asher B. Duand
This question in Packet 1 is incorrect. The Voyage of Life is by Cole, and I imagine it would lead to a lot of incorrect responses because the other two paintings are obscure in comparison.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

NoWayItsTanay wrote:
I know Danilo Turk because of a running inside joke with some debate friends, but an Economist archive search indicates that he's of negligible importance. In all, I don't think this is a glowing display of pyramidality, but I bet some people buzzed correctly on Karst and maybe Triglav. I don't think the description of Karst topography or the location of Mount Triglav are all that critical to this question. The same goes for the European forest rankings, for which the clue is probably misphrased, since there are several bigger nations that would have more forest land. Could this question possibly be referring to percentage of land that is forest? Either way, it's mostly unhelpful because it could be interpreted either way and would probably not lead a player to think of Slovenia.
The forest land clue is misleading and unhelpful. I would have liked to have heard Carniola mentioned, but that's totally selfish as that's the only non-giveaway thing I know about Slovenia.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Answer the following about some other embarrassing U.S. moments, FTPE:
1. This scandal dealt with Warren Harding's Secretary of the Interior selling the rights to oil fields in the titular location
Answer: Teapot Dome Scandal
2. This scandal during the Garfield Administration dealt with the postal service out west
Answer: Star Route Scandal
3. Dealing with the illegitimate son of Grover Cleveland, this scandal was a key point in the election of 1884.
Answer: Maria. C. Halpin Scandal or Ma, Ma, where's my Pa?
That Garfield scandal is incredibly not notable at all. But that doesn't stop the "clue" given for it from being pretty much worthless!

And the Cleveland affair scandal thing definitely doesn't really have an actual name, but you wanted players to come up one for it anyway?
Bonus: Answer these questions about Pacific islands.
1.This island, now the capital of Kiribati, was the site of a major battle of World War II.
Answer: Tarawa
2. This island, home to the cities Baguio and Tarlac, can be reached from Borneo by sailing north through the Sulu Sea.
Answer: Luzon
3. The Philippines own this island which is not part of the main Philippines archipelago but forms the border between the South China Sea and the Sulu Sea.
Answer: Palawan
This is impossible.
TB: She is a native of Illinois and graduated from Yale Law School in 1973. She then moved to Arkansas in 1974 and then married in 1975. She was first lady of (*) Arkansas when her husband became governor from 1979 to 1981 and 1983 to 1992. Following this, she was First Lady of the United States from 1993 to 2001. She was then elected to the United States Senate, representing New York. Name this woman, who is currently the United States Secretary of State.
Answer: Hillary Clinton
This is an absolutely horrible question. The first three sentences sound like the good old days of CBI almost.
Bonus: Andrew Johnson was from Tennessee. For ten points each, answer the following related to Tennessee’s history:
Bonus 1: This Spanish explorer most noted for his explorations of the Mississippi River led an excursion into Tennessee, marking the first time Europeans explored into what is now Tennessee.
Answer: Hernando de Soto
Bonus 2: To celebrate its 100 years of statehood in 1897, Tennessee constructed a full-scale replica of this Greek building in Nashville’s Centennial Park.
Answer: Parthenon
Bonus 3: This Confederate General led the Confederates in the dismal Knoxville Campaign, a campaign to take the namesake city from Union General Ambrose Burnside’s control.
Answer: James Longstreet
How is anyone supposed to legitimately *know* the middle part here? How is that important at all, as well?
Bonus: For ten points for each religion, give the three religions depicted in Children of Gebelawi:
Answer: Christianity, Judaism, Islam (Accept equivalents of all)
Really? That's the bonus?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

The Nashville Parthenon notably came up in the movie version of the Percy Jackson books! (I think)
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
Bonus: Andrew Johnson was from Tennessee. For ten points each, answer the following related to Tennessee’s history:
Bonus 1: This Spanish explorer most noted for his explorations of the Mississippi River led an excursion into Tennessee, marking the first time Europeans explored into what is now Tennessee.
Answer: Hernando de Soto
Bonus 2: To celebrate its 100 years of statehood in 1897, Tennessee constructed a full-scale replica of this Greek building in Nashville’s Centennial Park.
Bonus 3: This Confederate General led the Confederates in the dismal Knoxville Campaign, a campaign to take the namesake city from Union General Ambrose Burnside’s control.
Answer: James Longstreet
How is anyone supposed to legitimately *know* the middle part here? How is that important at all, as well?
I assume you mean the Parthenon part? I was under the impression that this was somewhat known, though I don't know that it makes a true medium part.

My basic stance on all quiz bowl difficulty related issues is: it's never easy enough. There's a difference between making questions easier and making everything "FAQTP, name the first U.S. President".

I'm not saying that harder questions don't have their place on the circuit, but "regular difficulty", no matter in what context that term's being used, is often missed.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
Bonus: Answer these questions about Pacific islands.
1.This island, now the capital of Kiribati, was the site of a major battle of World War II.
Answer: Tarawa
2. This island, home to the cities Baguio and Tarlac, can be reached from Borneo by sailing north through the Sulu Sea.
Answer: Luzon
3. The Philippines own this island which is not part of the main Philippines archipelago but forms the border between the South China Sea and the Sulu Sea.
Answer: Palawan
This is impossible.
Um, not really. Very difficult though and way too hard for a high school tournament. I probably would have pulled Tarawa and Palawan, though the Luzon one could use a few better clues as it is the only clue with "easy part" potential.

I wouldn't call this set "the worst ever", it's just that some tossups are a bit wonky and some bonuses are wayyyy too hard

EDIT: Also no trip to Nashville is complete without a visit to the Parthenon, so it's gettable for people who travel.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:
I wouldn't call this set "the worst ever", it's just that some tossups are a bit wonky and some bonuses are wayyyy too hard
Having actually played at this tournament, this is probably pretty close to what I felt about it. There were definitely some problems, and some pretty ridiculous bonuses.
On the other hand, you can't say that every bonus was impossible; I remember thinking that there were quite a few that were pretty easy to 20 or 30. I think our ppb dropped about two points, and some more for Novi, but our B team actually scored almost three ppb more than they did at U of M Autumn.

I did really enjoy playing this tournament though, and there were some tossups I really liked (particularly the literature!).
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

Although he had a separated shoulder, Matthew Stafford was able to do this by throwing the game-winning touchdown pass in a game against the Cleveland Browns in 2009. After being dragged back to the underworld by Hermes, Sisyphus was forced to roll a boulder up a hill which always rolled back down, meaning he would never be able to do (*) this with regard to his task. Although the release date for his album Detox has been pushed back over six years, Dr. Dre claims that he has almost done this with his album. An incident in which one person was notably told she would be allowed to do this involved an assertion that Beyonce’s video for “Single Ladies” was the greatest video of all time. For ten points, name this action that Kanye West told Taylor Swift he would let her do at the 2009 MTV VMA’s.
I dunno, I'm not a trash guru, but IMO the mythology clue should've been something else.
Answer: Slovenia"

The clue "It is the third most forested country in Europe behind Finland and Sweden." is absolutely terrible, and even the best geography person on my team, Raynell Cooper, who powers almost all geo questions, only got this one at the end with the capital, Ljubiljana.
I guess I have complaints with this question as well. For one, one could easily get this *geography* question early by memorizing all of the (political) heads of state. I'm also bothered that simple map knowledge would net people powers- the only country I know whose SW border is the Adriatic is Slovenia- over those who know about the Karst clue, and it seemed a tad bit hard for people to get powers on this set when compared to NAQT (my experiences are limited). It seems as if the writer simply drew some information from Wikipedia, a list of heads of state, and a list of highest and lowest points.
2. This scandal during the Garfield Administration dealt with the postal service out west
Answer: Star Route Scandal
I remember learning about the Star Route Scandal when reading about Garfield. I think it's even in AMSCO, although I'm not positive about it.
I won't lie, the Pacific Islands bonus was just plain stupid. I don't understand how anyone would make use of that knowledge.
This isn't common knowledge? I thought it was.... I guess players would know especially if they went to TN before.... It reminds me of some of the older NAQT geography questions that basically required you to have visited the location to know about it.
The 3 religion bonus was flawed. I knew nothing about the book, named 3 religions in Egypt, and 30'd the bonus. An easy 30 on one question and easy 0s on others? :(

Overall, the difficulty was on the high level- perhaps too high, as the majority of the playing field wasn't suited for those questions. We lost to DCD by 15 points (I think they 45'd the last tossup/bonus). Would cleaner questions have changed this? Maybe, maybe not. You can find flaws for so many of the questions and bonuses, but given all that we still managed to have a load of fun at the tournament. I dunno, I guess that's all I can say.
Penny Salem
Novi High School
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

lol THERE ARE TWO FINLAND TOSSUPS??
Daniel Galitsky
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

For ten points, name this religion in which followers typically wear dreadlocks, use marijuana, worship Haile Selassie, and listen to reggae artists such as Bob Marley.
This probably isn't the best giveaway for Rastafarianism, if you saw Ricky Williams' 30 for 30 you'd see why, and he's Christian.

The trash questions are pretty good however I think the Smells Like Teen Spirit question in packet 1 had a lot of obscure information, and it kinda went against pyramidality considering there are no lyrics, as anyone who listens to even a little bit of Nirvana could've powered it on the deodorant clue (I'm not the measuring stick or voice of reason on question writing).
Thomas Moore