2011 NSC - 60 teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dtaylor4
Auron

2011 NSC - 60 teams

Post by dtaylor4 »

With the addition of LIsgar A/B and Villa Duchesne, there are 16 slots left in the field for the 2011 NSC, which will feature 72 teams this year.

If you have registration or entry fee questions, email me at donaldtaylor dot pace at gmail.com

If you have any other questions, email TD Gautam Kandlikar at gkandlikar at gmail dot com.
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Tue May 31, 2011 3:06 am, edited 15 times in total.
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 60 teams

Post by dtaylor4 »

Also, as it stands, the current field is as follows:

Simon Kenton (KY)
Quince Orchard (MD)
IMSA x2 (IL)
Northmont (OH)
St. Anselm (DC)
Loyola Academy (IL)
DCC x2 (MI)
St. Joseph (NJ)
Rockford Auburn x2 (IL)
Carbondale (IL)
George Marshall (VA)
Hunter College x2 (NY)
Dunbar x2 (KY)
Maggie Walker (VA)
St. Ignatius (IL)
Stevenson (IL)
Seven Lakes (TX)
Warren Harding (OH)
Rock Bridge x2 (MO)
TJHSST x2 (VA)
Torrey Pines (CA)
Clayton (MO)
Olmsted Falls (OH)
Bainbridge (GA)
Danville (KY)
Mission San Jose (CA)
Frenchtown (MT)
Jefferson City (MO)
Parkway West (MO)
Walnut Hills (OH)
Dorman x2 (SC)
Bellarmine (CA)
Helias (MO)
State College x2 (PA)
Walter Johnson (MD)
Oakville (MO)
Lisle (IL)
Alpharetta (GA)
Champaign Centennial (IL)
Macomb (IL) (tentative)
Lisgar x2 (ON)
Villa Duchesne (MO)
Team A
Wauconda (IL)
LASA (TX)
Richard Montgomery (MD)
OPRF (IL)
New Trier (IL)
Clover Hill (VA)
Cistercian (TX)
Fenton (IL)
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Tue May 31, 2011 3:06 am, edited 16 times in total.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Re: 2011 NSC - 16 spots left

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

And Alpharetta? We're listed on the NSC website.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:And Alpharetta? We're listed on the NSC website.
You're in, I just omitted you from that particular list. Apologies.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

just out of curiosity- has the tournament format been announced somewhere?
Nick
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Not yet, but there's one we're strongly considering at the moment. I anticipate that we'll announce it soon if no one in PACE comes up with anything better in the next few days; in my personal estimation, it's a very strong choice.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Donald, I sent you an email to register LASA A earlier today. We aren't sure we're going to be able to put together a B team at this point, but we're going to try. I'll register them separately if that becomes necessary and if there's still room.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Just looking at this field and comparing it to Fred Morlan's recent blog post, I see only 1 top 10 team (according to his ranking) that isn't in the field (Centennial, GA), one more top 15 team (Richard Montgomery, MD), and 3 more top 25 teams (Copley, OH, Rancho Bernardo, CA, and Ladue Horton Watkins, MO) that aren't in the field. Is this the highest rate of very top teams going to PACE yet?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 13 spots left

Post by dtaylor4 »

Update:

There are now 13 slots left for teams to enter this tournament, as three teams have registered within the past 12 hours. From the looks of it, Dees is right in that this is the most stacked tournament in terms of the quality of teams playing.

If you want in, I strongly suggest getting your registration in sooner rather than later.
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 12 spots left

Post by dtaylor4 »

As of now, there are TWELVE slots remaining in this year's NSC. Four have gone in the past 24 hours, so those who are on the fence should get a move on before they get waitlisted.
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 10 spots left

Post by dtaylor4 »

After a couple drops, there are now 10 spots left in the field for this year's NSC.
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 10 spots left

Post by Edward Powers »

With the NSC a little more than 5 weeks away, is there any concern that the field will not reach the target of 72 teams?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
millionwaves
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 11 spots left

Post by millionwaves »

While we can't say for certain that we will reach the number of teams, we are beginning to aggressively recruit teams that haven't signed up yet and have every reason to expect that we'll get enough of them. Additionally, we have several teams on the stand-by list who may not be able to afford the entry fee, but have qualified to enter and will be allowed to play if not enough paying teams sign up.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Why wouldn't you instead decide to move down to 64 teams and retain a more competitive field and a much less controversial, much more ideal prelim/playoff schedule that is less reliant on small prelim sample sizes and pre-event seeding than the proposed 72 team format?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

I'm not going to speak for PACE before we've had a meeting to discuss that (which we will do on Sunday), but that thought had certainly crossed my mind also.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

I personally like the number 72 a lot more than 64. With 64 you're pretty much forced into using 8x8 bracketing and nothing else. With 72, you can do 6x12, 8x9, or even 12x6 if you can do that many rounds.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be

OK, but last year that 64 team format basically worked as well as you could ask any format to work. On the other hand, the proposed 72 team format above relies on what I and some others think is not enough preliminary rounds, and by using smaller pools, it becomes more sensitive to wrong seeding information. I would rather go with the proven, logical format.

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:by using smaller pools, it becomes more sensitive to wrong seeding information.
While I would also be happy to work with the 64-team format, I believe in Andrew Hart's rebuttal of the above point, i.e. smaller pools mean that incorrect seeds have to put a team in the wrong one-sixth of the field to have a substantial effect, rather than a wrong one-eighth. It's easier to put a team in the right group of 12 than the right group of 8. That all said, I'm format-neutral; there's something aesthetically nice to be sure about the equal size of the prelim and playoff brackets, but the 72-team format does keep a larger part of the field alive longer, which is nice.
Andrew Watkins
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

When you only have 62 qualifying teams interested in playing the tournament, the question of which format is more fair becomes moot. You simply cannot justify forcing people who have paid the substantial entry and travel costs of this tournament to play 17% of their games against freshmen from IMSA D who weren't able to qualify. How on Earth is this being considered?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Matt Weiner wrote:When you only have 62 qualifying teams interested in playing the tournament, the question of which format is more fair becomes moot. You simply cannot justify forcing peope who have paid the substantial entry and travel costs of this tournament to play 17% of their games against freshmen from IMSA D who weren't able to qualify. How on Earth is this being considered?
We haven't yet made any format decisions in case we don't hit the 72 mark. We're in the process of contacting qualified teams who have not yet registered to take survey of how many new registrations we can expect. Expect an update in the coming weeks.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Im sure the powers-that-be have realized this, but choosing between the 64-team format and the 72-team format doesnt really matter that much because its likely neither of those is going to happen. If PACE is making a last-ditch effort to fill the field (currently at 62, and looks to have been stuck around that number for at least a month) by both recruiting and offering up free spots, it seems that theyre going to end up with somewhere between 65 and 70 teams, that have either paid to attend or made arrangements to attend or both. The problem is going to be when its the week before the tournament and theres 67 teams signed up, and nobodys sure what to do about the format.

You may need to either have a plan for every field size between 62 and 72 or cap the field at 64 (or 68 or whatever) and fill those last couple spots.
Nick

Right, which is why it would make far more sense to cap it at 64 right now than end up with something above that but not at 72.

dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC - 58 teams

Post by dtaylor4 »

After a recent drop, the field is at 58 teams.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Is the field still frozen at 58 teams?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Edward Powers wrote:Is the field still frozen at 58 teams?
Two standby teams have been invited and we're waiting to hear back from them.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Lion81
Lulu

Post by Lion81 »

The problem with this tournament is that its on the same day as our graduation. Our team really wanted come, but we cant. Obviously, I understand that you cant change the day of the tournament for one team, but I'm sure we are not the only ones who have this conflict. I hope it is somehow possible for you guys to take this into consideration in future years (I have no idea when other schools have commencement, but I think the week before HSNCT would be accessible to a lot more teams perhaps).
Harsha Gotur
Novi High School

HSNCT misses lots of teams because of graduation, PACE misses lots of teams because of graduation, NASAT misses lots of teams because of graduation, there is absolutely nothing PACE can take into consideration because graduation schedules vary so widely.

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Lion81 wrote:The problem with this tournament is that its on the same day as our graduation. Our team really wanted come, but we cant. Obviously, I understand that you cant change the day of the tournament for one team, but I'm sure we are not the only ones who have this conflict. I hope it is somehow possible for you guys to take this into consideration in future years (I have no idea when other schools have commencement, but I think the week before HSNCT would be accessible to a lot more teams perhaps).
Charlie's right; moreover, the week before HSNCT often has trouble due to finals (or, indeed, other schools' graduation dates). The absolute most that could happen--assuming that the places HSNCT/NSC/NASAT reserve for their tournaments don't privilege people able to reserve the same date in consecutive years, which is by no means a given--is to rotate dates at least a little, so that you're missing a different national tournament every year. But, again, that's sort of an unnecessary nice thing they could do, not something they have to.
Andrew Watkins
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Lion81 wrote:The problem with this tournament is that its on the same day as our graduation. Our team really wanted come, but we cant. Obviously, I understand that you cant change the day of the tournament for one team, but I'm sure we are not the only ones who have this conflict. I hope it is somehow possible for you guys to take this into consideration in future years (I have no idea when other schools have commencement, but I think the week before HSNCT would be accessible to a lot more teams perhaps).
Charlie's right; moreover, the week before HSNCT often has trouble due to finals (or, indeed, other schools' graduation dates). The absolute most that could happen--assuming that the places HSNCT/NSC/NASAT reserve for their tournaments don't privilege people able to reserve the same date in consecutive years, which is by no means a given--is to rotate dates at least a little, so that you're missing a different national tournament every year. But, again, that's sort of an unnecessary nice thing they could do, not something they have to.
At the same time, PACE seems to have gotten the worst of it (at least this year) because Saturday, June 4, is an SAT date. Although significantly less detrimental, PACE also conflicts with a large national math tournament (ARML) that attracts thousands of students, and certainly makes attending PACE difficult for some. This year, the combination of those events made it impossible for my school to send a team to PACE. Although I am unsure of a good solution, rotation would be beneficial so that the same tournament is not hurt by the SAT date every year. I also think that moving one of the tournaments to the weekend before Memorial Day and completely avoiding the SAT date would raise attendance. It is also likely that just as many schools have finals this weekend (June 4) as had finals the weekend of May 21.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12

I will strenuously object to all national tournaments running before Memorial Day weekend because that means that all Missouri teams will be banned by the MSHSAA from attending that tournament, due to the fact that you can only attend nationals in the "summer," defined by them as any time from Memorial Day weekend onward. Given that we sent 8 teams to the HSNCT and are sending another 8 completely different teams to the NSC, which are some of the largest attendances at nationals from an individual state this year, and some of our teams are beginning to place more highly at nationals, I think a national tournament choosing a date that is banned by an entire, very active state would do them a good deal of harm.

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Is it really the case that there are players who aren't coming to this tournament because it's an SAT date? There are SAT dates throughout the year, whereas the dates for the NSC or HSNCT are set at essentially the beginning of the year. It seems like this would be something to relatively easily schedule around.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Is it really the case that there are players who aren't coming to this tournament because it's an SAT date? There are SAT dates throughout the year, whereas the dates for the NSC or HSNCT are set at essentially the beginning of the year. It seems like this would be something to relatively easily schedule around.
I know my reason for not going is primarily ARML (the math contest mentioned earlier), and I know of some others who aren't going for the same reason.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

(I do not speak on behalf of PACE)

What would people say to nationals being bumped back a week? Given the high amount of overlap in terms of teams and staffers, would it not hurt for there to be a breather in between?

Of course, this means we'd be stepping on HSAPQ's toes, but I'm just putting it out there.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

dtaylor4 wrote:(I do not speak on behalf of PACE)

What would people say to nationals being bumped back a week? Given the high amount of overlap in terms of teams and staffers, would it not hurt for there to be a breather in between?

Of course, this means we'd be stepping on HSAPQ's toes, but I'm just putting it out there.
I think that's a good idea. Two years ago when CR attended both nationals, it was a crazy and stressful two weeks that created a lot of upheaval in many people's schedules. I don't know how some people and teams do this every single year on back-to-back weekends.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

A breather would be pretty nice, especially as far as West Coast teams are concerned. We end up flying across the nation for every national tournament, so travel fatigue can set in rather quickly. A larger break between the tournaments gives us a larger buffer for it to wear off.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:

I think that's a good idea. Two years ago when CR attended both nationals, it was a crazy and stressful two weeks that created a lot of upheaval in many people's schedules. I don't know how some people and teams do this every single year on back-to-back weekends.
I would also like to support this suggestion. This would avoid the SAT date and ARML and allow Missouri teams to attend. However, the HSAPQ NASAT issue is problematic.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

jlchockey94 wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:

I would also like to support this suggestion. This would avoid the SAT date and ARML and allow Missouri teams to attend. However, the HSAPQ NASAT issue is problematic.
Well if NSC is presumably scheduled for the same weekend next year, is ARML and an SAT date also scheduled for that weekend? I presume this is the weekend of June 2nd-3rd 2012; do we even know that far ahead yet?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rikku

ARML dates are typically decided right after the last one.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Are there any plans for an NSC blog?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

George Berry's doing it again at pacensc.wordpress.com.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Any word on whether or not the prelim brackets will be released before Saturday?
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
Austin, TX

Has PACE routinely released the brackets ever before? I know they accidentally posted incorrect 2008 prelim brackets in a typical old PACE moment of incompetence, but I don't remember them ever being released otherwise. I certainly hope PACE doesn't release the brackets, I don't think people need to know their opponents before the opening meeting of a tournament, at a tournament like this I'm sure you will see lots of people complaining about the bracket they are in and some teams trying to influence the TD to change their schedule. This would be a bad move.

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

They had by this point last year.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Yeah, I thought we'd gotten an email last year from PACE in the days leading up to the tournament with our bracket. Glad I wasn't remembering that incorrectly.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
Austin, TX
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Twitter hashtag: #nsc or #pacensc? I prefer the latter because I feel that #nsc is too generic but if everyone (anyone?) else is doing that then I'll use that.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:Twitter hashtag: #nsc or #pacensc? I prefer the latter because I feel that #nsc is too generic but if everyone (anyone?) else is doing that then I'll use that.
#NSC looks like it's in use by other people. Let's use #PACENSC.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

Pending internet access Nick Bergeon and I will be attempting to live blog today. It will start whenever we get to northwestern. Link will be forthcoming.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

This liveblog has now been merged with George's.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Liveblog

EDIT: maybe this will work?
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Rikku

I think you linked it incorrectly. When I open it I get a page saying "You are no longer logged in."
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14