T-Party

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

T-Party

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

So I am currently editing some questions for 2010 T-Party. In the spirit of my ELVIS thread, does anyone have any recollections or memories of the earlier generation of T-Parties?

When I came to Harvard, the tradition of hosting a tournament called "T-Party" was long dead, but people generally remembered that at some point Harvard used to host such things. So we revived it in 2008 when we needed a name for a new packet-submission tournament we decided to create.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: T-Party

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I downloaded 1998 and 1999 T-Party from the Stanford Archives; it seems that the 1999 edition had powers and current events tossups, while the 1998 edition did not. Both were packet submission events.

1998 T-Party featured this exciting tossup:
It is a lute shaped stringed instrument popular in the Middle Ages. It has two to four drone strings sounded by a hand-cranked wheel. The melody is played on the strings by depressing keys. For 10 points, name this instrument that is sometimes confused with the barrel organ.

Answer: _HURDY-GURDY_
I seem to recall reading/mocking a 1995 T-Party set at one point, but I can't find it.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

The 1995 T-Party contains gems like
It's among the thinnest of America's major papers, but studies show it's the one whose readers devote the most time daily to it. It's based in New York, but has more subscribers in California, and is in fact printed at 17 plants around the U.S. At 1.8 million copies a day, it has the largest circulation of any U.S. newspaper. FTP, name it.

answer: WALL STREET JOURNAL
Andrew Watkins
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

No Winterreise clues in that Hurdy-Gurdy tossup? Bummer.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
staloff
Kimahri

Post by staloff »

I ran the 1996 T Party and probably reviewed a lot of the packets. I think that was the second event. Yes, there were probably some real winners among the questions.
Mark
Harvard College Bowl '94-'98
East Brunswick, NJ '91-'94