The quizbowl decades project

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
bsmith
Tidus

Re: The quizbowl decades project

Post by bsmith »

quantumfootball wrote:As for who directed the most tournaments, isn't R. Robert Hentzel the official TD of all of the HS tournaments in Minnesota that use NAQT questions? Between that and HSNCT/ICT, it would be hard for others to come close.
How many tournaments has Charlie Steinhice done? Having several of his competition weekends span two tournaments helps his tally.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

On the note of low bonus conversion, the 2007 Northwest SCT (on D1 questions) had an overall conversion of 7.39, but before Zarya showed up for round 8, the overall conversion was 6.83. It may also have set the record for most games played between the same two teams, with 11 (since only two teams showed up).

Also, while I've not run very many tournaments, I wouldn't be surprised if I've staffed more tournaments than I've played, and I'm almost certain that's true if you exclude my six VETO appearances.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

bsmith wrote:
2. Fewest tossup points scored by a team that reached 100 points, Single Game.
The house team at the 2009 Ottawa Hybrid got 30 TU points (and 70 bonus points) in a 100-point first-round loss. Unless a team with many tossups negs like crazy, I think this is about the limit.
Rancho Bernardo went 1-5-10 in a 120-95 win over UCLA House at Aztlan Cup V (FIChTE II mirror).

Incidentally, Lucas went 2-13-19 on the day and Zhao went 0-9-12, so unless there's a team out there with 3 or more people to all finish under the 1:1 TU:neg ratio, I think they'll at least tie the record for most teammates finishing below a 1:1 TU:Neg ratio at the same tournament.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

cvdwightw wrote:
bsmith wrote:
2. Fewest tossup points scored by a team that reached 100 points, Single Game.
The house team at the 2009 Ottawa Hybrid got 30 TU points (and 70 bonus points) in a 100-point first-round loss. Unless a team with many tossups negs like crazy, I think this is about the limit.
Rancho Bernardo went 1-5-10 in a 120-95 win over UCLA House at Aztlan Cup V (FIChTE II mirror).

Incidentally, Lucas went 2-13-19 on the day and Zhao went 0-9-12, so unless there's a team out there with 3 or more people to all finish under the 1:1 TU:neg ratio, I think they'll at least tie the record for most teammates finishing below a 1:1 TU:Neg ratio at the same tournament.
Among teams of good faith, they surely are at least tied for the lead, though the Wofford "F this bye" team mentioned earlier had three players with negative scoring, and the team as a whole had -5 points on tossups over the day.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Wait, 18 negs in one round?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Wait, 18 negs in one round?
I don't think they were too happy with the difficulty of the tournament and negged out in protest. (Then again, that tournament seemed to be a little on the hard side for the field in general.)
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Earthquake wrote:
Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Wait, 18 negs in one round?
I don't think they were too happy with the difficulty of the tournament and negged out in protest. (Then again, that tournament seemed to be a little on the hard side for the field in general.)
From what I could infer, that is what they did. Having been at the tournament, I would agree that it was a decent bit on the hard side for the Div. II field, but of course part of the tournament's title is "Open." However it was my first experience into "Good Quizbowl" and was a nice break from IS and A-Sets we play in the CC Circuit, no matter how long the rounds were and how difficult I found the questions.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Lots of interesting posts here.

A similar story to Mike's 'Win one for the Flipper' speech would have to be the Spotswood-Salem match, the 2003 Group AA VHSL state championship. This was Marian Suter's last VHSL match as a coach and was the only Game 7 that year, so there were probably 100 or more people in the room at the time. (As another aside the coach of that Salem team was Fred Campbell, the current VHSL Commissioner.)

A Spotswood player buzzed in early on with 'Van der Waal force' and tried to correct himself by adding the 's'. He was ruled incorrect, and then protested. Of course, the match required a protest.

I then had to rule against her in the ensuing protest, because I didn't hear the 's' in the guy's initial answer and none of the officials heard it. It was, perhaps, one of the hardest protest resolutions I ever had to make.

As for neg efficiency, I believe I have a contender for 'worst half in history not done on purpose' in a game against Georgetown my senior year @ Randolph-Macon (year it was in the 1990s, but it can start a discussion). Up 125-25 at the half, we proceed to neg five times in that half and lose 135-100. For added irony, my own contribution was saying 'Sun Microcomputers' instead of 'Sun Microsystems' -- I am now a Solaris admin.

When I retired in 2000, I was probably on the top 10 'most career losses' list. I'm sure others have long since eclipsed me.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

I might do a serious post in this or the other thread later, but I'm procrastinating right now and this is quicker. I searched the UChicago quizbowl archives for "best" to see what UChicagoans have thought the best tournaments, questions, players, etc. were since the listhost archives begin (January 1, 2000; unfortunately we lost the earlier stuff in a University-wide listhost "cleanup").

Best things to avoid saying to your opponents during matches, per Seth Teitler: "You're a pack of no-account ruffians!" "I can't believe you don't know this!" "You must use cheap pomade!" "We're better than you!" "This should be an easy win!"

Best moment in Bruce Arthur's life: When Andrew Yaphe (his teammate) buzzed on a "Moneymaker" question to win a very low-scoring round on a very bad poker theme packet in the 2005 edition of the Chicago IM tournament.

Best performance in the field of keeping late-nineties era spite alive, by a person who will go unnamed: "You know what the best thing about this weekend is? It's that [DASTARDLY OPPONENT] didn't win. That's better than the fact that you won. Does that make me a bad person?"

Best highlight in a tournament recap (also, most ridiculously lengthy tournament recap):
"...As former college bowl host Robert Earle proceeded to tell the heartwarming story of a love at first sight that blossomed at a College bowl tournament back in the day between one Brian from MIT and Sally from Wash U, [unnamed Chicago player] had his best line of the tournament. According to Earle, this was when during the time CBI was still on TV, and for some reason or other inclement weather postponed a taping, so Brian and Sally decided to go snow inner tubing together. Sally dislocated her shoulder and so was unable to play the next day as her team took on Brian's in the final.

But this is where the story gets good. Brian, so afflicted by the sight of his true love in pain, cannot concentrate and so negs 20 times in one round [20] as Wash U takes the National Championship.

Now why did I just tell you all this? Here's why. Mr. Reed then remarked that he always maintained a seed of doubt as to whether or not Sally had an ulterior motive to getting injured, and thought she may have decided to "take one for the team." At which point our dear [unnamed Chicago player] [21] gets half out of his chair and says, loudly enough for Earle, who needs a hearing aid, to hear it 20 feet away: "I BET SHE TOOK MORE THAN ONE!" [22]. The whole room bursts into guffaws. Needless to say, [unnamed Chicago player] [23] did not win the sportsmanship award. Richard "Shoe-bomber" Reed also gave him a two-minute long glare of death as he tried to put a match to his shoelaces."
I'm not going to bother to copy the footnotes on that one.

Best bar in the Palo Alto area: The Nut House.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

myamphigory wrote:Best highlight in a tournament recap (also, most ridiculously lengthy tournament recap):
"...As former college bowl host Robert Earle proceeded to tell the heartwarming story of a love at first sight that blossomed at a College bowl tournament back in the day between one Brian from MIT and Sally from Wash U, [unnamed Chicago player] had his best line of the tournament. According to Earle, this was when during the time CBI was still on TV, and for some reason or other inclement weather postponed a taping, so Brian and Sally decided to go snow inner tubing together. Sally dislocated her shoulder and so was unable to play the next day as her team took on Brian's in the final.

But this is where the story gets good. Brian, so afflicted by the sight of his true love in pain, cannot concentrate and so negs 20 times in one round [20] as Wash U takes the National Championship.

Now why did I just tell you all this? Here's why. Mr. Reed then remarked that he always maintained a seed of doubt as to whether or not Sally had an ulterior motive to getting injured, and thought she may have decided to "take one for the team." At which point our dear [unnamed Chicago player] [21] gets half out of his chair and says, loudly enough for Earle, who needs a hearing aid, to hear it 20 feet away: "I BET SHE TOOK MORE THAN ONE!" [22]. The whole room bursts into guffaws. Needless to say, [unnamed Chicago player] [23] did not win the sportsmanship award. Richard "Shoe-bomber" Reed also gave him a two-minute long glare of death as he tried to put a match to his shoelaces."
Please tell me that this recap also includes the "Butterflies Prefer Blondes" speech and the alleged hot-tub party between teams and CBI staffers. CBI Nationals 2004 has no competition for the "Most Surreal Tournament Experience of the Decade" award.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

myamphigory wrote:Best highlight in a tournament recap (also, most ridiculously lengthy tournament recap):
"...As former college bowl host Robert Earle proceeded to tell the heartwarming story of a love at first sight that blossomed at a College bowl tournament back in the day between one Brian from MIT and Sally from Wash U, [unnamed Chicago player] had his best line of the tournament."
Robert Earle was no longer the host of College Bowl at the time. It was Art Fleming.

myamphigory wrote:"According to Earle, this was when during the time CBI was still on TV, and for some reason or other inclement weather postponed a taping, so Brian and Sally decided to go snow inner tubing together."
CBI was not on TV, it was on the radio. Snow did not stop any of the tapings. The only delays were on the part of the audio equipment.
myamphigory wrote:"Sally dislocated her shoulder and so was unable to play the next day as her team took on Brian's in the final.

Then again, it's not actually an account of what happened the year of Brian and Sally, but the snarky comeback several years later.
Susan

Post by Susan »

silverscreentest wrote:
"...As former college bowl host Robert Earle proceeded to tell the heartwarming story of a love at first sight that blossomed at a College bowl tournament back in the day between one Brian from MIT and Sally from Wash U, [unnamed Chicago player] had his best line of the tournament."
Robert Earle was no longer the host of College Bowl at the time. It was Art Fleming.

myamphigory wrote:"According to Earle, this was when during the time CBI was still on TV, and for some reason or other inclement weather postponed a taping, so Brian and Sally decided to go snow inner tubing together."
CBI was not on TV, it was on the radio. Snow did not stop any of the tapings. The only delays were on the part of the audio equipment.
myamphigory wrote:"Sally dislocated her shoulder and so was unable to play the next day as her team took on Brian's in the final.

Then again, it's not actually an account of what happened the year of Brian and Sally, but the snarky comeback several years later.
If I recall correctly, the consensus on the Brian and Sally anecdote back in 2004 was that it was entirely fabricated (considering the other festivities at that particular NCT, a made-up romance garnished with my erstwhile teammate's uncouth remark was merely the tip of the crazypants iceberg). I mean, if we're going to be sticklers for accuracy here, I should point out that Richard Reid, the president of CBI, and Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUYS!
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

myamphigory wrote: I mean, if we're going to be sticklers for accuracy here, I should point out that Richard Reid, the president of CBI, and Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUYS!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

millionwaves wrote:
myamphigory wrote: I mean, if we're going to be sticklers for accuracy here, I should point out that Richard Reid, the president of CBI, and Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUYS!
So there were never any shoes given as neg prizes?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

FredMorlan wrote:
millionwaves wrote:
No, but there was a FREEZE FRAME award given for "wearing sparkly shoes."
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Matt Weiner wrote: the four games VCU played with Vanderbilt at the 2005 to 2007 Nationals and ICT, each of which came down to the last one or two tossups and three of which decided who went on to the championship bracket
The first mention I witnessed as a competitor rather than spectator/staffer. Oh, the joys of coming in 16th at ICT...
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Susan

Post by Susan »

cvdwightw wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:
millionwaves wrote:
Were these ever given for anything that was actually funny or notable? I remember them being awarded for:
-having a quiet speaking voice
-failing to properly execute a high five
-giving an inappropriate answer to a question that went something like "a condition called 'ptosis' causes this body part to droop"

The entire concept of requiring competing schools to bring school logo apparel to award as stupid prizes for unfunny things seems flawed on many levels. I can't recall anyone not bothering to bring a prize, but we nearly forgot to do so both times I played CBI.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

myamphigory wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:
millionwaves wrote:
Were these ever given for anything that was actually funny or notable? I remember them being awarded for:
-giving an inappropriate answer to a question that went something like "a condition called 'ptosis' causes this body part to droop"

The entire concept of requiring competing schools to bring school logo apparel to award as stupid prizes for unfunny things seems flawed on many levels. I can't recall anyone not bothering to bring a prize, but we nearly forgot to do so both times I played CBI.
The year I played CBI featured the "Don't You Wish Your Alternate Was Hot Like Me" Freeze Frame award, given in devastatingly creepy fashion to Sarah Whitfield of Florida.

/shudders
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Ukonvasara wrote:
myamphigory wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:
millionwaves wrote:
The year I played CBI featured the "Don't You Wish Your Alternate Was Hot Like Me" Freeze Frame award, given in devastatingly creepy fashion to Sarah Whitfield of Florida.
/shudders
Another freeze frame from that year was because Yogesh negged on a question about a breed of dog which apparently was the breed of Mik Larsen's dog. The year before that, Dwight Wynne got one for being repeatedly being punched by Charles Meigs.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Never mind.
Last edited by Tanay on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

tk447 wrote:questions from 1988..."this nation, currently led by Salvador Allende"
Salvador Allende was deposed in 1973, so I imagine that it didn't say "currently led by"--unless it was really bad.

Still, I enjoyed your stories.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Charbroil wrote:
tk447 wrote:questions from 1988..."this nation, currently led by Salvador Allende"
Salvador Allende was deposed in 1973, so I imagine that it didn't say "currently led by"--unless it was really bad.

Still, I enjoyed your stories.
My bad, I meant Pinochet.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

So while people are compiling things, and in light of the really awful crap of the last few weeks, how about a list of really good moments in quizbowl sportsmanship? A couple years back, Lee Henry was running the Alabama NAQT state championship, and at the end of pool play, KDS DAR had a record of 7-1, while Hoover had a 6-2 record. Hoover had beaten DAR head-to-head, but the tournament rules had said that if there was a clear leader at the end of pool play, there would be no playoff. DAR had never won a state title, and did not have to do it, but when Lee went to Matt Dennis, the coach, and to his team and asked them if they wanted to declare victory without a championship playoff, they decided that they didn't want to claim the state title unless they had beaten all the other teams at the tourney to do it. They agreed to play an advantaged final against Hoover that they never had to play, and they lost both matches.

As we got to the end of the second match, and Hoover pulled away, the pain on the faces of the KDS team was obvious. They had given away their state title in pursuit of real sportsmanship. The Hoover players could see it, and as soon as the game was over, they came over to me and asked me if they could declare the state championship a joint title, since DAR had really already won, and had only lost the title because they tried to do what was right. I have never been prouder to be a coach than at that moment. What happened that day would likely never have happened in any other competitive activity, and while it may have bent the rules a bit, it was to me a great capsule of everything that quizbowl has ever meant to me as player or coach.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:How about a list of really good moments in quizbowl sportsmanship
TJ Appreciation Thread, PACE NSC 2011
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00