NAQT host call?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

NAQT host call?

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

http://naqt.com/hsnct/2010/host-call.html

"Interested hosts should e-mail [email protected] by June 30, 2009, to indicate their desire to host."
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Re: NAQT host call?

Post by at your pleasure »

Paging University of Chicago, paging University of Chicago...
Oh well, as long as they don't hold it someplace awful to get to.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I don't care if its in Chicago again if it's at the same hotel as last year. That place was awesome.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Doink the Clown wrote:Paging University of Chicago, paging University of Chicago...
Oh well, as long as they don't hold it someplace awful to get to.
Yeah, that is never ever happening in a million years.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Journey to the Planets wrote:http://naqt.com/hsnct/2010/host-call.html

"Interested hosts should e-mail [email protected] by June 30, 2009, to indicate their desire to host."
I'm not sure quite what the question is here... but yes, we've received bids and we are currently working out the various details involved in hosting logistics.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
at your pleasure
Auron

What are the odds that HSNCT will be in Chicago next year? If that is unlikely, what other sites are you looking at?
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm pretty sure they put this host call up every year as kind of a formality but end up always going with a hotel near O'Hare because that will probably maximize their attendance.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I'm pretty sure they put this host call up every year as kind of a formality but end up always going with a hotel near O'Hare because that will probably maximize their attendance.
R. writes:
Chicago is a good site for teams and staff to travel to, but we have no intrinsic attachment to the city and would definitely consider strong bids from other places.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Journey to the Planets wrote:http://naqt.com/hsnct/2010/host-call.html

I'm not sure quite what the question is here... but yes, we've received bids and we are currently working out the various details involved in hosting logistics.
I'm just wondering why this was never put on the boards, since the HSNCT possibly changing sites seems important. However, if this is something that happens every year, like Charlie says, then it's not that essential that everyone be notified.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Jeff,

Are there any non-Chicago bids? Do they meet NAQT's requirements?

It would be nice if the tournament rotated locations from time to time. I like Chicago lots, but it would like to see some other places too.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I would love to see Atlanta as a site personally
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Important Bird Area

Journey to the Planets wrote:I'm just wondering why this was never put on the boards, since the HSNCT possibly changing sites seems important. However, if this is something that happens every year, like Charlie says, then it's not that essential that everyone be notified.
That would be my fault: I'll make sure that next year's is prominently cross-posted here. Charlie is correct that this is an annual and expected process.
Bad Boy Bill wrote:Are there any non-Chicago bids? Do they meet NAQT's requirements?

It would be nice if the tournament rotated locations from time to time. I like Chicago lots, but it would like to see some other places too.
We seriously considered (but rejected) a proposal that would have placed the 2010 HSNCT in Las Vegas.

Rotating locations would be nice, and we do place some value on that: but not enough to, for instance, impose additional travel costs on both teams and staff. We would encourage interested parties and institutions to start now in considering bids for the 2011 HSNCT (for instance: the Atlanta sites discussed in this thread have most of the same advantages that have settled us in Chicago for the past few years, notably a major airport hub with good mass transit).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

So...is the implication thus that NAQT has picked its 2010 HSNCT location? At the very least, the city?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area

Charbroil wrote:is the implication thus that NAQT has picked its 2010 HSNCT location?
Yes, we have. Expect a full announcement from R. around the middle of October (after we ship IS #88 and IS #89A).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

bt_green_warbler wrote:We seriously considered (but rejected) a proposal that would have placed the 2010 HSNCT in Las Vegas.
Darn!! Well, it's probably for the best. I would have been playing poker somewhere instead actually going the tournament. (Historical side note: While in New Orleans I won at Harrah's, er...I mean we went to Chip's tournament. Yeah, that's it.)
Rotating locations would be nice, and we do place some value on that: but not enough to, for instance, impose additional travel costs on both teams and staff. We would encourage interested parties and institutions to start now in considering bids for the 2011 HSNCT (for instance: the Atlanta sites discussed have most of the same advantages that have settled us in Chicago for the past few years, notably a major airport hub with good mass transit).
I'll vote for that. I've actually never been there.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
at your pleasure
Auron

That said, it does make planning things easier if both HSNCT and NSC keep to the same locations.

Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:We seriously considered (but rejected) a proposal that would have placed the 2010 HSNCT in Las Vegas.
Darn!! Well, it's probably for the best. I would have been playing poker somewhere instead actually going the tournament. (Historical side note: While in New Orleans I won at Harrah's, er...I mean we went to Chip's tournament. Yeah, that's it.)]

Well, Chicago has plenty of fine such establishments as well, including a fantastic new Horseshoe...
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Rotating locations would be nice, and we do place some value on that: but not enough to, for instance, impose additional travel costs on both teams and staff. We would encourage interested parties and institutions to start now in considering bids for the 2011 HSNCT (for instance: the Atlanta sites discussed in this thread have most of the same advantages that have settled us in Chicago for the past few years, notably a major airport hub with good mass transit).
It may be productive to convert this thread into a "list of places you'd like to see 2011 HSNCT;" people in those areas could then possible approach reasonable sites in those places about the possibility of bidding for 2011 HSNCT.

As Jerry posted in this thread, the three major axes that should be considered are:
-staffing availability: how much trained local staff is around, and how much will it cost to bring the rest of the staff out there?
-room availability: can we run a ~200-team tournament at the site?
-cost to teams: how much are teams going to have to pay to get there and stay there for 2-4 nights?

I'll throw a fourth axis in there - non-quizbowl attractions: for the teams that show up a day early, leave a day late, or don't want to stay for consolation rounds, are there easily accessible attractions that would encourage these teams to choose HSNCT over another national? Obviously, this isn't really going to affect the ~30-40 top teams that are gunning for a trophy place or higher, but that's only ~15-20 percent of the expected field.

A prime site would be good to excellent on the first three axes and at least adequate on the last.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Any word on the host city yet?
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Matthew D wrote:Any word on the host city yet?
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

tk447 wrote:
I heard from someone who may or may not work for NAQT that you should probably book tickets to Chicago again.
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

mlaird wrote:
tk447 wrote:
I heard from someone who may or may not work for NAQT that you should probably book tickets to Chicago again.
See Olympics committee! Smart people know Chicago is a great host city. No quizbowlers will be getting stabbed in Rio.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Important Bird Area

mlaird wrote:I heard from someone who may or may not work for NAQT that you should probably book tickets to Chicago again.
It's true, and we now have a page up on naqt.com with the details. Thanks for your patience, everyone.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF