Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
powerplant
Wakka

Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by powerplant »

I'm hoping to get some tournaments run at Centre (unlike the late notice spring tournament that we wound up canceling last year).

The goal would be to run one tournament during each of the three terms Centre does, so we'd have events in the fall, winter, and spring. What weekends work best for teams?

For the fall tournament, my team wants to try and run it on 9/5, but I think that might be too early in the year. Any input?
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Scott
Rikku

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Scott »

That date would work very well for Grayson.
Actually that would probably be the only fall date that would work for us.
We will probably try to go to at least two, maybe all three tournaments.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Any idea on what type of questions you guys will be using. As for the date, it seems like its a bit early in the season, but not to early overall. I'll see if I can talk my coach into taking us.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Something of a pyramidal variety, but nothing's for certain yet. I'm inclined to say it will be something HSAPQ, but I don't know what sets they're putting out for the fall. If not them, than likely NAQT.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

What day is the tournament and what type of questions are being used?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Kahloon wrote:Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe has had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
Last edited by Huang on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Huang wrote:
Kahloon wrote:Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe had had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
They scheduled that tournament on the absolute WORST day possible in Kentucky: Derby Day. We weren't lazy, just occupied.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I would like to now more than a week in advanced if we can attend their tournament.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

Huang wrote: Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
In addition, Joe has had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
I did not intend to criticize Joe's tournament announcing skills. He simply asked for input regarding holding a tournament on September 5th. I just said that if he intends for that to happen, he should probably begin formalizing logistics among other things.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Kahloon wrote:
Huang wrote: Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
I just said that if he intends for that to happen, he should probably begin formalizing logistics among other things.
Right, cause Joe would not have known when to announce until told so. Anyways, it seemed rather odd to bring up the failure of a past tournament that was pretty much not the Centre team's fault and then to imply this tournament, that probably won't even exist as I've already mentioned, would suffer the same fate.

As for any other fall semester Centre tournaments, reservations apparently can't be made until the second semester due to as I've mentioned before, ridiculous bureaucracy. Joe: confirm/deny?
Sandy
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

Huang wrote: Right, cause Joe would not have known when to announce until told so. Anyways, it seemed rather odd to bring up the failure of a past tournament that was pretty much not the Centre team's fault and then to imply this tournament, that probably won't even exist as I've already mentioned, would suffer the same fate.
Alright considering that:
powerplant wrote: Sadly we have to cancel the tournament. I think that there wasn't really enough notice for many teams to register, so hopefully by announcing things farther in the future we won't have this problem.
This is what was said at the cancellation of last year's tournament.
But thanks for answering the question of wether the tournament would exist or not.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Kahloon wrote:
powerplant wrote: Sadly we have to cancel the tournament. I think that there wasn't really enough notice for many teams to register, so hopefully by announcing things farther in the future we won't have this problem.
This is what was said at the cancellation of last year's tournament.
But thanks for answering the question of wether the tournament would exist or not.
I do not remember it at all being announced too late, in terms of teams being able to register. Teams had pretty much all of April, which notably includes Spring Break, to register. Now if teams wanted to watch horses run around in circles instead, there's not much any tournament host in Kentucky can do about that.
Sandy