Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
powerplant
Wakka
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Ohio

Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by powerplant » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm hoping to get some tournaments run at Centre (unlike the late notice spring tournament that we wound up canceling last year).

The goal would be to run one tournament during each of the three terms Centre does, so we'd have events in the fall, winter, and spring. What weekends work best for teams?

For the fall tournament, my team wants to try and run it on 9/5, but I think that might be too early in the year. Any input?
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Scott » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 pm

That date would work very well for Grayson.
Actually that would probably be the only fall date that would work for us.
We will probably try to go to at least two, maybe all three tournaments.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

Andrew from jc
Wakka
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Paintsville, Ky

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Andrew from jc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Any idea on what type of questions you guys will be using. As for the date, it seems like its a bit early in the season, but not to early overall. I'll see if I can talk my coach into taking us.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12

powerplant
Wakka
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by powerplant » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Something of a pyramidal variety, but nothing's for certain yet. I'm inclined to say it will be something HSAPQ, but I don't know what sets they're putting out for the fall. If not them, than likely NAQT.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-

Kahloon
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Kahloon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Scott » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm

What day is the tournament and what type of questions are being used?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Huang » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:44 am

Kahloon wrote:Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe has had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
Last edited by Huang on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 am

Huang wrote:
Kahloon wrote:Given that the tournament is coming up in about three weeks you should probably start formalizing invitations and format in order to avoid something similar to what happened last year.
Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe had had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
They scheduled that tournament on the absolute WORST day possible in Kentucky: Derby Day. We weren't lazy, just occupied.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Scott » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:13 am

I would like to now more than a week in advanced if we can attend their tournament.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

Kahloon
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Kahloon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Huang wrote: Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe has had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
I did not intend to criticize Joe's tournament announcing skills. He simply asked for input regarding holding a tournament on September 5th. I just said that if he intends for that to happen, he should probably begin formalizing logistics among other things.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Huang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:40 am

Kahloon wrote:
Huang wrote: Maybe we shouldn't count on attending tournaments announced in preliminary "who would be interested" threads?
Also, last year's cancellation was due to the laziness of Kentucky teams more than Joe's tournament announcing skills.
In addition, Joe has had problems with reserving rooms due to ridiculous bureaucracy last time I talked with him.
I just said that if he intends for that to happen, he should probably begin formalizing logistics among other things.
Right, cause Joe would not have known when to announce until told so. Anyways, it seemed rather odd to bring up the failure of a past tournament that was pretty much not the Centre team's fault and then to imply this tournament, that probably won't even exist as I've already mentioned, would suffer the same fate.

As for any other fall semester Centre tournaments, reservations apparently can't be made until the second semester due to as I've mentioned before, ridiculous bureaucracy. Joe: confirm/deny?
Sandy

Kahloon
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Kahloon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 am

Huang wrote: Right, cause Joe would not have known when to announce until told so. Anyways, it seemed rather odd to bring up the failure of a past tournament that was pretty much not the Centre team's fault and then to imply this tournament, that probably won't even exist as I've already mentioned, would suffer the same fate.
Alright considering that:
powerplant wrote: Sadly we have to cancel the tournament. I think that there wasn't really enough notice for many teams to register, so hopefully by announcing things farther in the future we won't have this problem.
This is what was said at the cancellation of last year's tournament.
But thanks for answering the question of wether the tournament would exist or not.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Interest in tournaments at Centre?

Post by Huang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Kahloon wrote:
powerplant wrote: Sadly we have to cancel the tournament. I think that there wasn't really enough notice for many teams to register, so hopefully by announcing things farther in the future we won't have this problem.
This is what was said at the cancellation of last year's tournament.
But thanks for answering the question of wether the tournament would exist or not.
I do not remember it at all being announced too late, in terms of teams being able to register. Teams had pretty much all of April, which notably includes Spring Break, to register. Now if teams wanted to watch horses run around in circles instead, there's not much any tournament host in Kentucky can do about that.
Sandy

Locked