Tournament Dates 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

Tournament Dates 2009-2010

Post by jonah »

Just go to http://www.ihssbca.org/tournaments.html because I don't want to keep two pages updated.

Saturdays that have tournaments listed above, but not tournaments with good questions:
  • January 9 (if you're not blacklisted from Turnabout; frosh/soph is covered separately)
  • January 16 (possibly varsity, if Winnebago doesn't use an IS set again; frosh/soph is covered)
  • January 23 (unless Springfield uses an IS set again)
  • February 20
  • March 6
  • March 13
Last edited by jonah on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
David Riley
Auron

Re: Tournament Dates 2009–2010

Post by David Riley »

Thanks for posting this, Jonah, though I have not received official notification that I've been accepted as a Fall Novice mirror. :smile:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:I have not received official notification that I've been accepted as a Fall Novice mirror. :smile:
Fair enough. I'll leave it for now, since you were listed in the original discussion thread as hosting an Illinois mirror, but if it turns out you're not accepted let me know. What qualification rules had you applied with?
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Also, PORTA will again host the central Kickoff on November 14.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I did everything he asked, am just awaiting offical notification.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

I know it exists, but I'm not quite sure of the date--Auburn's Knights' Challenge FR/SO. House-written as usual, but I'm not quite sure about the date. Historically we've done the first Saturday after winter break, but I can't give a definitive answer.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Aub-ZH wrote:I know it exists, but I'm not quite sure of the date--Auburn's Knights' Challenge FR/SO. House-written as usual, but I'm not quite sure about the date. Historically we've done the first Saturday after winter break, but I can't give a definitive answer.
I put it down under that date; let me know if it changes. Presumably it won't be the following weekend because of D&G.
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

MS. Greene confirmed that it was Jan 9 a while ago.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Info I want to add that I think people on the board can give me:
  • Will Earlybird be a housewrite, a HSAPQ set, or something else?
  • Is an IS set confirmed for Wildcat? If so, do you know which one?
  • Do we know which IS set will be used for Kickoff?
  • What's the set for D&G? IS-A? If so, what about bonuses?
  • Is it confirmed that Wheaton North F/S will be a housewrite? (or house+alumni-write)
  • What's the deal with Loyburn?
  • Do we have an IS set number for the state qualifier?
Thanks.
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

For D & G, we are planning to use an IS-A set. Everything will be NAQT: powers/negs and no bouncebacks.

For Loyburn, Ms. Greene is awaiting word from her AD whether or not we can do it on Jan 30--we would rather not do it on Jan 13 thus avoiding Valentine's Day weekend, which was an issue w/both teams and moderators last year.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I mean Feb 13 in my last message--sorry.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Wheaton North will be a housewrite, probably more by alums (particularly the Class of 2008) than current students. That's the only of Jonah's questions I know the answer to.

It says above that Ultima is using the novice set. Is that a mistake, or is Ultima going to be the opposite of what it has been in the past?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yikes--I thinkthe idea o I misread f "novice". If I did, I need to change that; thanks!

Just another proof that I'm really not with it this week.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Shcool wrote:Wheaton North will be a housewrite, probably more by alums (particularly the Class of 2008) than current students. That's the only of Jonah's questions I know the answer to.

It says above that Ultima is using the novice set. Is that a mistake, or is Ultima going to be the opposite of what it has been in the past?
I think this means a college level novice set.

EDIT: but I might be wrong!
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mlaird wrote:
Shcool wrote:Wheaton North will be a housewrite, probably more by alums (particularly the Class of 2008) than current students. That's the only of Jonah's questions I know the answer to.

I think this means a college level novice set.

EDIT: but I might be wrong!
Your are. It was conceived to be along the lines of HAVOC, but in the fall.
David Riley wrote:Yikes--I thinkthe idea o I misread f "novice". If I did, I need to change that; thanks!
I think you do; that's why I had asked upthread about what qualification rules you applied with.
Jonah Greenthal
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

I believe that Northwestern will be using an HSAPQ set this year instead of NAQT.
Andy Wehrman
(formerly of Arkansas and Northwestern)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

The "novice" set that is attached to Ultima refers to this set.

Seeing as we are taking bids up through the beginning of next month, the claiming of that set is *very* premature.

Based on preliminary discussion, we are leaning towards an HSAPQ set for Earlybird, but that's not set in stone.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Given that I am by birth, culture, and necessity very anal-retentive about time, claiming the set was not premature at all. I've already sent an email to Chris to withdraw my bid.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:Given that I am by birth, culture, and necessity very anal-retentive about time, claiming the set was not premature at all. I've already sent an email to Chris to withdraw my bid.
What would you think of switching the Ultima and D&G dates, applying to use the novice set at D&G, and finding something else for Ultima?

edit: I guess that would screw up the proposed new Loyburn date. If something else could be found for that (January 23?), it could still work.
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I thought of switching the dates but then reconsidered when I realized I would lose several potential good moderators that way.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:I thought of switching the dates but then reconsidered when I realized I would lose several potential good moderators that way.
For which date do you have too few moderators?
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Jan 16--that's also Winnebago's tournament so I would potentially lose Brad, Kristin and BJ
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:Jan 16--that's also Winnebago's tournament so I would potentially lose Brad, Kristin and BJ
How about this:

October 17: D&G (apply for novice set) (this and Ultima could be switched)
October 24: Ultima, as originally planned (no ideas for sets, other than HSAPQ or an IS set) (this and D&G could be switched)
January 16: Kaneland, Winnebago, Rock Island Frosh/Soph
January 23: Fremd, Springfield
January 30: Wheaton North frosh/soph, PORTA Class A, maybe Loyburn

This way, you can use Fall Novice (which I am quite confident will be higher-quality than an IS-A set) for D&G, plus D&G won't be in conflict with the Rock Island frosh/soph (I have no idea what the quality of that is like, but with so few frosh/soph tournaments in the state it seems silly to have two of them on the same date), plus you don't run into the Winnebago moderator conflict.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I'm still the contact for Decemberist, even as I give more and more of my "tournament organizing" duties to people actually attending RVC and "tournament running" duties to Kristin for statroom efficiency reasons. Eventually, I'll just be the dude collecting emails (at [email protected]) and setting up a schedule. After two years of straddling the line of elite field and increasing awareness of ACF format to new teams, we've got a bid in for the Fall Novice tournament. If we get that, we're going to switch to a truly "novice" tournament (although I've got some interesting ideas in the works on how to get the top players to come out anyway) and strongly encourage F/S teams to enter as well as varsity. That's option 1 - we'll look at others as we need to.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Oct 17 won't work, we have another tournament out of state scheduled that day. And the same teams that come to Loyola don't go to Rock Island. Our schedule is pretty much set, but thanks for the suggestions.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

David Riley wrote:I thought of switching the dates but then reconsidered when I realized I would lose several potential good moderators that way.
Note: I now have a car (and Lawrence's schedule is changing) so I'll be able to moderate a lot more next year.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

cornfused wrote:
Note: I now have a car (and Lawrence's schedule is changing) so I'll be able to moderate a lot more next year.
Interested in coming to Decemberist?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

I'm here to confirm that Wheaton North F/S will be a housewrite by me and two other WN alumni from the Class of 2008.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

I'll volunteer my moderating services, if needed, for the IHSSBCA Kickoff (preferably if a site develops in northwestern IL), Rockford Auburn's Knight's Challenge, the D&G Throwdown, Wheaton North's F/S, Huskie Bowl, and anyone else who will have me (though driving up from Streator to the suburbs every weekend probably won't be possible). As opposed to sending out a bunch of e-mails, interested tournament hosts can contact me via at [email protected].
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

The official contact for Huskie Bowl is Kristin Strey at [email protected], not me, especially for teams to register (once registration actually begins).
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Ahem. Don't forget to use the tournament database once this is all hashed out! :-D
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

BuzzerZen wrote:Ahem. Don't forget to use the tournament database once this is all hashed out! :-D
I'm still waiting for you to respond to my email about that, which was sent nearly two months ago.
Jonah Greenthal
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

As long as people are using this thread to volunteer, I'd like to know if it's acceptable for active Varsity players to read F/S tourneys. I'd like to read to Wheaton North F/S (I did last year), Auburn F/S, and any other quality F/S tourneys that will have me, provided they don't conflict with a Varsity tournament. Is this OK? Who should I contact?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

DD60004 wrote:As long as people are using this thread to volunteer, I'd like to know if it's acceptable for active Varsity players to read F/S tourneys. I'd like to read to Wheaton North F/S (I did last year), Auburn F/S, and any other quality F/S tourneys that will have me, provided they don't conflict with a Varsity tournament. Is this OK? Who should I contact?
It's very much OK, and you should be actively seeking to make these connections. I'm pretty confident that all the tournaments that you named would be happy to have you, in addition to any Varsity tournament that Viator can't make it to.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

DD60004 wrote:As long as people are using this thread to volunteer, I'd like to know if it's acceptable for active Varsity players to read F/S tourneys. I'd like to read to Wheaton North F/S (I did last year), Auburn F/S, and any other quality F/S tourneys that will have me, provided they don't conflict with a Varsity tournament. Is this OK? Who should I contact?
Heck, if Decemberist gets the Fall Novice set, you don't get to play* but we'd love to have you moderate, and it's a Varsity tourney.

*most likely - official restrictions not yet figured out
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

mlaird wrote:It's very much OK, and you should be actively seeking to make these connections. I'm pretty confident that all the tournaments that you named would be happy to have you, in addition to any Varsity tournament that Viator can't make it to.
Well, thanks for the warm reception, Matt and Brad. As you can tell, I'm starting to think about my post-high school quiz bowl life, hopefully as a moderator.
styxman wrote:Heck, if Decemberist gets the Fall Novice set, you don't get to play* but we'd love to have you moderate, and it's a Varsity tourney.

So the Decemberist is actually going to be for novice high school teams and not as it was before? Or did I misunderstand you?
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Greg and Nathan, if you're interested in moderating Huskie Bowl, I'd love to have you. Like last year, we will be paying in Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches and (for all interested parties) post-tourney moderator scrimmage.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

DD60004 wrote:
styxman wrote:Heck, if Decemberist gets the Fall Novice set, you don't get to play* but we'd love to have you moderate, and it's a Varsity tourney.

So the Decemberist is actually going to be for novice high school teams and not as it was before? Or did I misunderstand you?
We're still debating exactly what it is, but we're going to base the tournament on what questions we can get. Our first option is the Fall Novice set, and if we get that we can't include the elite teams (and that might give us extra moderators from the blacklisted players, which would solve our annual staffing crunch). HSAPQ would be our next option. This priority list is based on last year's field - scores were somewhat lower than expected for the IS set we used but bounced back to regular levels when Bago used an IS set in January. Makes me think most teams in our field aren't ready for quizbowl that early, which makes me sad. Maybe the novice set takes care of that. If we don't get the novice set, regular tournament ahoy.

Speaking of Bago, looking at Jan 16 and 23 makes me think Bago should switch to the 23rd to avoid team conflict with Kaneland and mod conflict with D&G. I'll fire off an email to see what's going on there.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Bago's set in stone for January 16th. What is the October 17th out of state tournament?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you want to moderate a lot, I recommend taking the certification test. It won't do much for you, but it might earn a little respect for a high school student or college freshman. Down the road, it also could lead to moderating at IHSA State.

Contact info for all tournaments will be listed on the IHSSBCA website in September if not sooner, though it's not difficult to get that contact info yourself anyways.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Shcool wrote:If you want to moderate a lot, I recommend taking the certification test. It won't do much for you, but it might earn a little respect for a high school student or college freshman. Down the road, it also could lead to moderating at IHSA State.
I did. Back in March. Haven't heard anything from Ms. Greene yet.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

DD60004 wrote:
Shcool wrote:If you want to moderate a lot, I recommend taking the certification test. It won't do much for you, but it might earn a little respect for a high school student or college freshman. Down the road, it also could lead to moderating at IHSA State.
I did. Back in March. Haven't heard anything from Ms. Greene yet.
Dan,
From experience, permit me to suggest sending a follow-up e-mail to ask about your submission.

Also, I'll personally vouch for the moderating skills of Mr. Hollinsaid. He did an admirable job of filling the shoes vacated by Egan and Laudermith when the Barrington Invitational conflicted with IHSA Sectionals this year. Not a single complaint but numerous compliments, and his room was always the first one done.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Woody Paige wrote:Dan,
From experience, permit me to suggest sending a follow-up e-mail to ask about your submission.

Also, I'll personally vouch for the moderating skills of Mr. Hollinsaid. He did an admirable job of filling the shoes vacated by Egan and Laudermith when the Barrington Invitational conflicted with IHSA Sectionals this year. Not a single complaint but numerous compliments, and his room was always the first one done.
Thank you for your endorsement. While I've never seen either in action, I hardly doubt I could be lumped in with the legendary Mr. Egan and Mr. Laudermith. But, it was my pleasure to fill in at least the smallest part of their very big shoes.

I also share a similar predicament as Dan and others. While I was test-certified at the beginning of this season, I still have not received my rating cards to go for my performance-certification. Perhaps I'll send a similar follow-up as I'd like to become more involved moderating on the high school circuit in the upcoming season.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stephen Colbert wrote:I also share a similar predicament as Dan and others. While I was test-certified at the beginning of this season, I still have not received my rating cards to go for my performance-certification. Perhaps I'll send a similar follow-up as I'd like to become more involved moderating on the high school circuit in the upcoming season.
It took me eighteen months from the time I emailed in my test to the time I actually was told I was test-certified. Besides you two, I know of a few others who are having or who have had similar problems, and I have put in a query about addressing the undue delays.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

People looking for a set for tournaments in the fall might want to contact Dunbar about mirroring their tournament.
Jonah Greenthal
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

jonah wrote:People looking for a set for tournaments in the fall might want to contact Dunbar about mirroring their tournament.
While we would love to see this get mirrored, we want to hold off until we get an idea of how interested Illinois teams will be in making the trek down to Lexington. I've been told Rockford Auburn is interested from Zahed, but he still needs to confirm with his coach. I know it's a 6-7 hour drive, but maybe excellent questions and what I presume will be a vastly improved Kentucky field might make this appealing enough. Also, huge travel discounts will definitely be negotiable. If you have any questions about the tournament/travel discounts, please email me at huang.sundi NOSPAMPLEASE AT gmail DOT com
Sandy
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Huang wrote:I've been told Rockford Auburn is interested from Zahed, but he still needs to confirm with his coach.
WOAH...I said it was an interesting proposition, but given costs, activities conflicts, and distance, probability was low if existent. And I was speaking for myself when I said playing against teams from that region would be a fun idea.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Aub-ZH wrote:
Huang wrote:I've been told Rockford Auburn is interested from Zahed, but he still needs to confirm with his coach.
WOAH...I said it was an interesting proposition, but given costs, activities conflicts, and distance, probability was low if existent. And I was speaking for myself when I said playing against teams from that region would be a fun idea.
Oh I was aware but was hoping for some sort of miracle to occur. The probability of this getting mirrored in Illinois right now is pretty high then assuming Auburn or any other Illinois team won't be able to travel to Lexington. Any teams interested in mirroring can contact me at huang.sundi NOSPAMPLEASE AT gmail DOT com
Sandy
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I added a list of dates that have tournaments but no tournaments on good questions (by my best-guess estimation; if you disagree with my assessment, please let me know).
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jonah wrote:I added a list of dates that have tournaments but no tournaments on good questions (by my best-guess estimation; if you disagree with my assessment, please let me know).
Bago and Springfield used an IS set last year, and Springfield's F/S division mirrored Auburn's F/S set. That doesn't mean they'll get those sets again, or even that those tournaments are explicitly open to all teams. For the purposes of Chicagoland, though, it's likely those weekends need help.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)