Becoming a Good Social studies Player

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Becoming a Good Social studies Player

Post by Andrew from jc »

I'm looking to become a better player overall for my team. I already have been reading the Stanford and the High School packet archives. I also read some AP history books like American Pageant.

Edit: turned it into the present tense.
Last edited by Andrew from jc on Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
BuzzerZen
Auron

Re: Becoming a Good Social studies Player

Post by BuzzerZen »

King Solomon's Bling wrote:I already read the Stanford and the High School packet archives.
All of them? Seriously?

Edit: oh, maybe you mean "read" present and not "read" preterite.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Wiki whatever came up a decent amount on the archives. Reading all the archives tends to give a good impression of the qb canon.

For more intensive studying, read books more.
Barry
Cornell
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Wall of Ham wrote:For more intensive studying, read books more.
This is the place where you should probably recommend some specific history books...

As I am not great at quizbowl history (yet?), I can't tell anyone the best way of studying, but I will say that my plan involves looking at the suggested reading sections (American Pageant's looks pretty good, my Euro History text recommended Anderson's Imagined Communities and I have found that interesting so far). If I look in an area I find interesting or in which I am weakest, I will stay on the lookout for those titles when I go to the library or bookstores. For example, I recently picked up Freedom from Fear by David Kennedy (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is a co-author for American Pageant or another AP US text) so I can finally learn all that New Deal and World War stuff.

Also, for individual answers you want to look up, I have found Encyclopedia Britannica to be more than sufficient to get a question in the middle and sometimes (especially if it's British history) earlier.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The University of Chicago Readings in Western Civ series would be a useful thing to read, and it's pretty easy to pick up cheap copies.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

As long as your careful with looking for inaccuracies, Wikipedia is about as good a source of Social Studies knowledge that I have ever used. Also, read textbooks (college if you can get them) and lots of primary sources.
Nicholas C
KQBA member