2009 Michigan High School State Championship

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kdroge
Wakka

2009 Michigan High School State Championship

Post by kdroge »

Hi all - it's that time of year again! Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to invite your team to the 2009 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship Tournament. This event will be held on Saturday, March 7th, 2009, on the Central Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Since 1995, Michigan Academic Competitions has hosted several tournaments for high schools throughout the state of Michigan. This year's Michigan NAQT State High School Championship promises more of the same, as we hope to draw some of the finest schools from throughout Michigan. This event will be run with questions provided by NAQT (IS-85). As a result, teams entering the 2009 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship will be able to qualify for the 2009 NAQT High School National Championship.

Each match will consist of 2 9-minute halves or 24 tossup questions, whichever comes first. Players who first answer a question correctly will be rewarded with points and a chance for the entire team to answer bonus questions, all of which are worth a maximum of 30 points. Questions come from all areas: science, math, history and government, literature, current events, geography, popular culture, fine arts, sports, mythology and religion, social science, and general knowledge; with the academic areas heavily emphasized.

In an attempt to ensure that teams have the opportunity to compete against teams of equal skill, the schedule will incorporate a pooled round robin for preliminary play. In addition, we guarantee that each team will play a minimum of seven matches, with the top teams playing head-to-head to determine the tournament champion. Our goal is that each team plays as many matches as possible. We will also attempt to ensure that teams from the same school will not play each other during the preliminary rounds.

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. Rounds will begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue through the morning and early afternoon with a lunch break around 1:00 p.m. Playoffs and a brief awards ceremony will follow, and we expect to finish no later than 6:00 p.m.

If you know of any teams that you think might be interested in this event, please forward this email to them. Thank you.

Registration for this event will initially be limited to 32 high school teams, and we will initially allow each school to register ONLY 1 TEAM due to high demand for the tournament. The purpose of this is to maximize the number of schools that can participate in the event. When you register your school, you will have the option to apply for additional teams, which will be used to complete the tournament field on a first-come, first-served basis. At Noon on February 21st (two weeks before the tournament), we will accept all 2nd teams based on this list and will complete the field with teams beyond that. Teams may consist of an unlimited number of players, only four of whom may play at once. It is our hope, however, that all the students attending the tournament will receive a good deal of playing time.

We will accept teams on a first-come basis until Noon on Wednesday, March 4th, 2009, unless we first reach the tournament maximum (if this happens, we will place these teams on a waiting list). Registration may only be done by e-mailing Kurtis Droge at [email protected]. You will receive confirmation of your registration by e-mail.

Checks should be made out to "Michigan Academic Competitions," and may either be brought to the tournament, or mailed to:

University Activities Center
Michigan Academic Competitions
4002 Michigan Union
530 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308

The entry fees for the 2009 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship are:

First team from a school $90
Each additional team from a school $80
Discount for a fully functional buzzer system
(max 3 per school) -$5
New program discount* -$10/team
Online registration discount -$5/team
Distance discount (100-275 miles)** -$10/team
Extreme distance discount (over 275 miles)** -$50/team
Minimum entry fee per team $25

* If your school has not participated in a University of Michigan tournament within the past two years, then you are eligible for this discount.
** Distances are determined as based on distance one way from your school to the tournament site according to maps.google.com.

Our web page contains a Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/faq.html section that we hope will answer any questions you have regarding the tournament. Also, feel free to e-mail [email protected] with any questions you may have about the tournament.

We look forward to seeing you on March 7th!

Kurtis Droge
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
master15625
Rikku

Re: 2009 Michigan High School State Championship

Post by master15625 »

Will stats be kept at this tournament?

We are most likely going to this tournament.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

Hi Kurtis! I want to mod :)
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

As of today, I opened the field to second teams, and all second teams (and third teams) that were registered made it in. That being said, there is still space available in the tournament for a little over a week. The field, as it currently stands, is:

East Lansing (1)
White Cloud (1)
Dewitt (2)
Chelsea (1)
Rochester (2)
Troy (2)
Sand Creek (2)
Huron (1)
Detroit Country Day (2)
Reed City (1)
Brighton (3)
West Bloomfield (1)
Farmington (2)
Novi (2) (8th)
Detroit Catholic Central (2)
Greenhills School (1)
Huron AA (1)

This makes for 27 teams, meaning that there are still five spots open. My email is [email protected] if you would like to sign up, if you have any questions, or there are any issues with the field (like you signed up, but I messed up somewhere and you're not on the list). Thanks!
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Hey all,

The field for the championship is now closed, and these are the registered teams:

East Lansing (1)
White Cloud (1)
Dewitt (2)
Chelsea (1)
Rochester (2)
Troy (2)
Sand Creek (1)
Huron (1)
Detroit Country Day (1)
Reed City (1)
Brighton (3)
West Bloomfield (1)
Farmington (2)
Novi (2)
Detroit Catholic Central (2)
Greenhills School (1)
Huron AA (1)
Bloomfield Hills Andover (1)
Churchill Livonia (1)
Ionia (1)

This makes for 28 teams- So I will do 4 brackets of seven teams for the premilinart rounds which makes for 7 guaranteed games, with a cut to a playoff of either 12 or 16 teams (not sure on this yet; I'll know on the day of the tournament). If there are any issues with the field, please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Kurtis Droge
Kurtis Droge
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

kdroge wrote:...
This makes for 28 teams- So I will do 4 brackets of seven teams for the premilinart rounds which makes for 7 guaranteed games, with a cut to a playoff of either 12 or 16 teams (not sure on this yet; I'll know on the day of the tournament). If there are any issues with the field, please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!
Hi Kurtis,

Quick question. If you have brackets of seven teams each, how will you guarantee us 7 games? Will each team in the bracket play someone in another bracket. If it were to be round robin, it would be 6 guaranteed games.

Thanks
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

All teams will play one cross-bracket game.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
zhe
Kimahri

Post by zhe »

Thanks again to all teams who participated in yesterday's state championship tournament. Congratulations to the winner, Detroit Country Day. For the final stats for the tournament, including playoff rounds, see the following link.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~zheguan/ ... dings.html

We would like to make an announcement to all teams that if you by any chance ended up with one of our timing devices, please let us know. We are currently missing one timer after scoping all of the match rooms yesterday. All of our timers have UAC and Michigan Quiz Bowl written on the back in black marker.

We hope everyone had fun at the tournament, and we sincerely wish to see you all again in the future.

Phil Guan
Phil Guan
Tournament Director
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Would have liked to see DCC and DCD play each other a second or perhaps third time as an advantaged final, but congrats to DCD for an undefeated day.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Why no individual stats?
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Rikku

TheCzarMan wrote:Why no individual stats?
We only had enough moderators for one per room, and were running a timed tournament. Since keeping track of individuals slows down moderators slightly, we decided to skip keeping track of individuals in favor of getting through more questions.
Michael Hausinger
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

squareroot165 wrote:
TheCzarMan wrote:Why no individual stats?
We only had enough moderators for one per room, and were running a timed tournament. Since keeping track of individuals slows down moderators slightly, we decided to skip keeping track of individuals in favor of getting through more questions.
Which I am happy for you doing.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Would have liked to see DCC and DCD play each other a second or perhaps third time as an advantaged final, but congrats to DCD for an undefeated day.
One of the teams we were supposed to play forfeited, so we were supposed to have played 11 games but we didn't.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying he thinks there should have been a final between the top 2 teams given that you didn't clear the field by 2 wins. Also, I don't know what world we live in where keeping individual statistics slows down the moderator more than not, since the columns are all right there on the NAQT scoresheet.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying he thinks there should have been a final between the top 2 teams given that you didn't clear the field by 2 wins.
Yes, thanks Charlie. NAQT packets, in particular, are fluke-y... so they should have played at least twice to determine the true champion. Considering i've seen DCC a couple times this year where they beat some of the best teams in the country, there should have been an advantaged final. Granted, that would be a heck of a lot of rounds, but still.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Just to be clear, the playoffs consisted of a 16-team single-elimination bracket rather than a bracket of top teams all playing each other. As optimal as it might have been to DCC and DCD play more than one match, an advantaged final wouldn't have made much sense, as the final match was their first meeting (so their record against each other was 0-0). Either they would have had to play that single game with the winning team being declared the champion, or they would have had to play a best-of-3 series starting with that game. Note that this is neither an argument in favor of nor an argument against the single-elimination bracket system.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

OK, that makes more sense then in the stats. However, for a state championship tournament might it not be worth it to try and abandon single elimination simply because its an important thing?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:OK, that makes more sense then in the stats. However, for a state championship tournament might it not be worth it to try and abandon single elimination simply because its an important thing?
We lost in the first (quarterfinal) single-elimination round of the "playoffs" in our state championship... :oops: Every single-elimination tournament we've been to this year (three of them), we've either played a horrible game and lost or got seeded against some team that should have been way higher and got crushed.

Anyway, i think we originally made this suggestion because the stats here are a little weird... it appears like they played each other early, since the games seem to be entered randomly without consideration for the round of the game here.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Everyone college in Michigan is obsessed with running single elimination NAQT tournaments(including my own university). I didn't even know that players actually preferred bracketed playoffs or something else until I came to college. I think a lot of the teams in this state would prefer double elim, just as a lot of decent teams become a Mount Saint Mary's playing a Michigan State in the first round.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

nalin wrote:Everyone college in Michigan is obsessed with running single elimination NAQT tournaments(including my own university). I didn't even know that players actually preferred bracketed playoffs or something else until I came to college. I think a lot of the teams in this state would prefer double elim, just as a lot of decent teams become a Mount Saint Mary's playing a Michigan State in the first round.
I don't know how manageable a seeded double-elimination playoff bracket would have been after the 7 morning rounds, but I'm definitely open to suggestions of how to make that work.
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:... for a state championship tournament might it not be worth it to try and abandon single elimination simply because its an important thing?
I definitely agree with many of the previously raised criticisms of the single-elimination format. Yes, NAQT packets do tend to be flukey, and yes, they can produce some odd results. In a quiz bowl utopia, bracketed playoffs would be the norm in high school, and every team would kiss our feet for providing them. I would, however, like to defend the single-elim playoff system (for high school states, at least) briefly.

1) Frankly, a lot of high school teams don't want to play 13 rounds of quiz bowl in a single day. When you're used to going to a tournament and playing 6, maybe 7 rounds, even 10 rounds can be taxing, never mind 13. For the teams that were eliminated but did want to play more quiz bowl, we were open to running some scrimmages in non-game rooms.

2) The top four teams from the prelims were, in our case, the final four teams in the single elimination bracket. And, statistically, the top two teams made it to the finals. And, by bonus conversion, the best team won in an exciting game that came down to the last question. I think that's the spirit of competition: you prepare the best you can, you hope that you perform to the best of your ability, but you're always open to the possibility that some teams can beat you under the right circumstances. If we wanted to ensure that the best team won the tournament every time, we would just skip all the boring quiz bowl stuff and just hand out trophies and go home. I realize that this isn't the strongest selling point for single-elim (bracketed playoffs can achieve most of this), but there really is an atmosphere of excitement and desperation - an idea that any team can win (even if some teams have a much better chance than others) - that single-elim engenders.

3) This isn't a great reason, but the single-elim bracket gives more teams a chance to qualify for HSNCT. By giving four teams a T-5 standing, they all fall roughly into the top 15% of the field, and they thus all get to go to Nationals.

I envision a slew of responses to point 2 arguing that not any team SHOULD win, and that bracketed playoffs eliminate (or severely reduce) the possibility of a Rookie High B beating a Superstar High A in the final standings. The latter point is true. But I think that the morning brackets do a decent job of that as well. A good team that loses a bad game in the early rounds suffers marginally for it, while a not-so-good team that has an upset in the early rounds is marginally rewarded for it.

The fact of the matter is that no team can guarantee a win 100% of the time. But the best teams will win most often, and they will lose very rarely against teams they should beat. In truth, I would feel much worse about the format we ran if a team like DCD or DCC had been felled early by a lurking 4 seed, but it didn't happen because both teams were prepared exceedingly well for this tournament. Their skill minimized the chance of an NAQT flukey result, but well-prepared teams gave themselves a chance to create an upset.

At any rate, both DCD and DCC were deserving of the state championship, as they proved in the final, and I'm sure both will have impressive runs at HSNCT.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

alkrav112 wrote:3) This isn't a great reason, but the single-elim bracket gives more teams a chance to qualify for HSNCT. By giving four teams a T-5 standing, they all fall roughly into the top 15% of the field, and they thus all get to go to Nationals.
TDs colluding with teams to artificially qualify more teams for HSNCT seems not so much "not a great reason" as a "borderline unethical reason" to adopt an inferior playoff system.

As with other issues, the rebuttal to any fear of a proper playoff is to remind you that we're not in a vacuum arguing a priori; other places have moved past treating quizbowl like football and it hasn't caused any problems. In fact, one of the major advantages of bracketed playoffs is that teams who are in the bottom of the field get to play 3=5 additional games against those of their own level, rather than being knocked out in the first round of an SE or not playing at all. Most teams do like getting more value for their money and getting a chance to improve, and the few quizbowl teams who don't like playing quizbowl shouldn't dictate the situation for everyone else.

And don't do double-elim; that takes forever (longer than brackets) and offers very little advantage over SE.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Rikku

Playing extra games in a bracketed playoff format would seem like benefit, but there are a large number of teams that want to leave starting somewhere around round 5, from what I have seen. If I were playing, I would certainly rather play in a bracket of, say, teams 8-12 than just leave after the first round. However, a lot of teams here just seem to want to play a few games and leave once they have been eliminated from the playoffs. If we put 16 teams into bracketed playoffs, I would be surprised if fewer than about 4 decided to leave anyway. We offered scrimmages at both this tournament and the one in the fall; so far one team was interested.
Next year before our fall tournament, I will ask coaches about their preferred playoff structure when registering. If enough prefer bracketing, we will switch to that in some form.
Michael Hausinger
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

You need to publicize your scrimmages better. My little brother's team was not made aware of this.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

alkrav112 wrote:
nalin wrote:Everyone college in Michigan is obsessed with running single elimination NAQT tournaments(including my own university). I didn't even know that players actually preferred bracketed playoffs or something else until I came to college. I think a lot of the teams in this state would prefer double elim, just as a lot of decent teams become a Mount Saint Mary's playing a Michigan State in the first round.
I don't know how manageable a seeded double-elimination playoff bracket would have been after the 7 morning rounds, but I'm definitely open to suggestions of how to make that work.
SEVEN (7!) whole rounds! That's an intense number of rounds right there! Just under half of the number of packets you get to work with!
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

alkrav112 wrote:Yes, NAQT packets do tend to be flukey, and yes, they can produce some odd results.
Examples of fluke content welcome by private email (either to me jthoppes [at] berkeley [dot] edu or to R. robert.hentzel [at] naqt [dot] com). We don't ever intend to produce "odd results."
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

don't get us wrong, we think these NAQT packets are some of the best packets out there. It has a great balance of questions and the power marks are fair.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

When I say flukey, I guess I more mean the lack of a consistent distribution between packets; one team might just hit a high proportion of their specialty subjects.

And when I highlighted 7, I meant to contrast it with 2 - the number of rounds guaranteed to teams in Michigan State's annual state tournament.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Rikku

To clarify the "State" tournament Andy is referencing, I think it is run by the MSU honors college and not the quiz bowl team.
Michael Hausinger
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

master15625 wrote:don't get us wrong, we think these NAQT packets are some of the best packets out there. It has a great balance of questions and the power marks are fair.
Glad to hear it!
alkrav112 wrote:When I say flukey, I guess I more mean the lack of a consistent distribution between packets; one team might just hit a high proportion of their specialty subjects.
You're welcome to join us in the let's talk about NAQT's distribution thread.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
runningboy
Kimahri

Post by runningboy »

I think dcds deserved to win because they knew the questions
questions are questions, and while some people may be better at some different packet manufacterers, there is nothing "unfair" about it.
Plus dcd won the last 2 tournaments they played with dcc