NAQT SCT Midwest at U of M - Ann Arbor (2/07/09)

Old college threads.
alkrav112
Rikku

NAQT SCT Midwest at U of M - Ann Arbor (2/07/09)

Post by alkrav112 »

This announcement is absurdly late, for which I apologize - it turns out, in fact, that I, Andy Kravis, will be running this tournament for Michigan. THUS! The University of Michigan will host the Midwest NAQT SCT on February 7th, 2009.

RULES AND ELIGIBILITY:
Eligibility and rules details are available on the NAQT website:
Rules: http://www.naqt.com/rules.html
Eligibility: http://www.naqt.com/eligibility.html

PRICING:
Base fee = $120 for first team, $100 each subsequent team
Base fee for new schools (programs that haven't played or hosted SCT for two years) = $80 for first team, $65 for each subsequent team
-$5 per fully-functional buzzer system (Only if it works, max 2 discounts per team)
-$5 per functional countdown clock or timer (maximum of 3 per team, unless we contact you about needing more)
-$10 per 300 miles traveled to the event (One-way distance, based on Google Maps)
-$15 per pre-approved moderator or scorekeeper
Minimum fee = $60 ($50 for new schools)

If you are interested in attending, please email me at qbtriumvirate at umich dot edu. I probably will not be able to respond to registrations until at least Monday the 19th because of ACF Winter, but I will do my best to make the rest of this process entirely prompt. When you e-mail with your registration, please include the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) Contact name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing in Division I and Division II
4) The number of buzzer systems, clocks and/or moderators you would like to bring

More scheduling and location details will be posted in the near future. I'm fairly confident that, as usual, rounds will be held in Mason Hall at about 9:00 am. If that changes, I will be sure to make that clear. I cannot stress enough how much moderators and scorekeepers will be appreciated.

*Thanks also to the UT-Austin and UCLA people, from whose posts I have copied mercilessly.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Re: NAQT SCT Midwest at U of M - Ann Arbor (2/07/09)

Post by alkrav112 »

Right now (2/3/09), the teams we have at our site are:

1 Div I team from UIC
1 Div I team from UChicago

2 Div II teams from Northwestern
2 Div II teams from Notre Dame
1 Div II team from Michigan
1 Div II team from Chicago
2 Div II teams from Michigan State
1 Div I team from IIT

Total (Combined Field): 11

BGSU has expressed interest in sending a Div II team, but is not yet registered.

Teams that I think would probably be interested but who haven't officially registered yet include Indiana, Miami of Ohio, and IIT (expressed interest a while ago). If representatives from these teams are reading this (or perhaps if hosts from other sites can confirm that any of these teams are registered at their sites), please let me know.

I'd really like to have a few more Div I teams if at all possible (and, of course, more Div II teams wouldn't suck either); my greatest concern right now is that this isn't going to be a fun day if Div I ends up being an octuple round-robin.

Edit: Getting rid of teams from the "maybe" list that are going to other sites.
Last edited by alkrav112 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Im 99% sure that OSU is attending the Pittsburgh SCT site.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Is UChicago going to both this site and WUSTL?

Also, I saw in the UCLA thread that with a low number of DI teams, you could just do one bracket instead of an octuple round robin on the DI side. Just a thought...
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

evilmonkey wrote:Is UChicago going to both this site and WUSTL?
Yep.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

evilmonkey wrote:Also, I saw in the UCLA thread that with a low number of DI teams, you could just do one bracket instead of an octuple round robin on the DI side. Just a thought...
Yes, I had thought of this, but I don't know how fair that is to either side, nor am I sure how that affects Div I/Div II teams' S-values. Ideally, I'd just like more teams to register. With a field this small, I might be able to field more house teams, but they would be fragmented, and I'm not sure how having Kurtis play alone would affect our rosters for Dallas, assuming any Michigan team qualified. [run-on sentence, ho!]

So I guess that leaves me with a few questions: teams that are in this field, would you be strongly opposed to having a combined field? I suppose the questions would have to be the DII set, right? Do I have any other options if the field remains this small?
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
bookaholicgirl
Kimahri

Post by bookaholicgirl »

I'm not speaking in any official capacity here, but Michigan State is planning to send a DII team and potentially a DI team. Hopefully, you should be hearing from Nalin about this at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Sally Behrenwald
Michigan State University, 2008-present
Peace Corps Ukraine, 2005-2007
Michigan State University, 2001-2005
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

The field has been updated a few posts up. This appears to be, for all intents and purposes, the final field, but I am certainly open to more registrations (especially Div I...).
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I e-mailed Dwight yesterday, and with his input I've decided that, based on the majority of teams present and on past precedent, this tournament will be played with a combined field on the Division II set.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Chicago's DI team won DI. Michigan (DII) defeated Chicago's DII team in a one-game final to win the DII section of the tournament. All three teams finished the round robin at 9-1.

stats
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

I'd like to thank Andy for such a smoothly run tournament. I don't think I can remember ever getting out of a tournament by 3:50. Almost all of the moderators were excellent as well.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Congratulations for Chicago A for winning Div I (and Div I undergrad) and Michigan for winning Div II at our SCT site. Thanks to all the teams who came (on time, no less!); I hope you enjoyed the tournament. A hearty thanks to everyone who staffed (Deskin, Alex, Nikita, Leigh, Anna, Michael, Andrey, Rachel, Chris, Robert... hope I'm not forgetting anyone!).
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13