Ohio NAQT State Championship (April 25, 2009)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jdd2007
Lulu

Ohio NAQT State Championship (April 25, 2009)

Post by jdd2007 »

The Ohio State Academic Team is proud to host the 2009 Ohio NAQT State Championship. Every high school in Ohio is welcome to attend, and we expect most if not all of the state's top teams to be in Columbus for this event. The tournament will be held on Saturday, April 25. This championship tournament will be played on NAQT question set IS-85. The field will be capped at 32 teams, so please register as soon as possible.

The tournament will be based in Scott Lab, but some rooms will be in the adjacent buildings of Dreese and Journalism. Please note that these are not the same ones used in other tournaments that have been held on campus. The location is still a short walk from High Street, where there are dozens of lunch options. Parking will be available for a small amount in the Union and Arps garages.

Fees:
First Team: $75
Second Team: $50
Buzzer Discount: -$15
Experienced Moderator Discount: -$10

Please email me ([email protected]) if you would like to register, or have any questions about this event.

-Jacob Durst
Vice President, OSU Academic Team
Tournament Director, 2009 Ohio NAQT State Championship
JDurst
Ohio State
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Re: Ohio NAQT State Championship (April 25, 2009)

Post by dxdtdemon »

I realize that I probably agreed to moderate and/or scorekeep at this tournament this past weekend, but something that I thought was a different weekend was actually that one. If a)the tournament is double elimination, or b)the tournament is over by 4:30, I'll still be able to show up and moderate/scorekeep. Otherwise, I hope that enough of Bob, Mike, Justin, Greg, etc. can be there so that you have enough moderators.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

quantumfootball wrote:a)the tournament is double elimination
I am not authorized to speak on behalf of the tournament directors, but I will do so to note that this tournament will not be double elimination. It will quite possibly be over by 4:30, though.
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I just would like to mention one thing to the teams that participate in this tournament and aren't familiar with the campus- Scott Lab is an ultramodernly-designed building that is really two buildings connected by a bunch of catwalks. These catwalks connect floor n to floor (n+1) and floor (n-1), but not floor n to floor n. I just wanted to warn you so that you don't walk from the second floor of one building expecting to be able to immediately get to the second floor of the other, or something like that.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Registration closed at 24:

Fisher Catholic
St Peter
Copley
Tippecanoe x2
Ottawa Hills
Columbus Alternative
South Range
Thurgood Marshall
Walnut Hills
Northmont
St. Charles x2
Urbana
Solon x2
Olmsted Falls
Madison Comprehensive
Miami Valley Career Technology Center
Columbus Academy
Tecumseh
Campbell
Monroeville
Elyria Catholic
JDurst
Ohio State
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

As long as they're all at full strength, it should be Walnut over Northmont or Solon in the finals, with those three, Fisher and St. Charles making up the top five. Although nobody has seen Ottawa Hills this year, so they could make a run too. Walnut is hands-down the best team in Ohio at full strength though.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Congratulations to 2009 Ohio NAQT State Champion Walnut Hills High School and State Runner-up Solon High School. Thanks to the students, parents and coaches who showed up, and a big thanks to everyone who helped out with the tournament. Top scorer was Jim Coury from Olmsted Falls, who like the other top 10 scorers (in the 7 prelim rounds) that stayed through 12 rounds took a book prize of his choosing. The finalists won awesome trophies.

Prelim stats: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Combined playoff prelim stats: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
JDurst
Ohio State