Penn Bowl Trash Mirror at U of M Ann Arbor (1/18/09)

Old college threads.
alkrav112
Rikku

Penn Bowl Trash Mirror at U of M Ann Arbor (1/18/09)

Post by alkrav112 »

Hullo quizbowlers,

Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to announce it will be hosting a mirror of the Penn Bowl Trash Tournament on Sunday, January 18th, 2009. This will take place the day after our ACF Winter mirror (see the announcement at: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6831).

PRICING:
$90 per team base fee
-$5 per working buzzer per team
-$10 per traveling more than 200 miles one way per team
-$10 per competent moderator per team
Minimum fee per team: $50

We would also appreciate laptops (though I think we will probably have enough).

LOCATION/TIME:
I don't have the rooms reserved quite yet, but expect the tournament to take place at the same time and place as the day before (3rd floor of Mason Hall, registration between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM). More details to come, probably.

To register a team, please contact me - Andy Kravis - at [email protected]. I'll post a field update soon, and if you think you have already registered but don't see your name on the list, remind me. I'm only human. In addition, please indicate how many teams you're bringing and if you qualify for any discounts.

ELIGIBILITY:
This tournament is open to all teams, regardless of school/university affiliation.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
BobGHHS
Rikku

Re: Penn Bowl Trash Mirror at U of M Ann Arbor (1/18/09)

Post by BobGHHS »

Andy,
I already told you we're coming, I'll have a moderator and we get the travel discount.

If Rom has buzzers, we'll probably get a discount for that, otherwise I think that's all.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
glorious achievement
Lulu

Post by glorious achievement »

Pitt will be there. I'll know for sure how many teams we'll be bringing after practice tonight, but I think we've got somewhere in the neighborhood of three to four teams' worth of people interested. We can bring one buzzer set, I'll ask about moderators tonight, and I'm pretty sure we get the travel discount.
Dan Christman-Crook
University of Pittsburgh
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Like Bob Kilner and my other teammates, we all apparently live > 200 miles from Ann Arbor. I will bring my CPS laptop. UIC classes resume Monday, and I spoke to our UIC sponsor this week, learning of no travel funding for the Spring 2009 semester, alas. He did say that I could still borrow the 1-2 lockout systems, though. During a professional development day next Monday, I will see what is available, working, and carryable. Hopefully next weekend, I could recruit some local Chicagoans for the March 1 GARBAGE Mirror at the University of Chicago.

Go Philadelphia Eagles,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

Chicago should have two teams for this.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Case will be there with a team. More specific details will be emailed shortly (probably tomorrow).

Also, will there be a discount for attending both events?? I know Maryland had one for attending IO and TRASH regionals, so I just want to make sure that you didn't mistakenly forget to mention it if you did intend to have one.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

First of all, to answer Steven's question, I hadn't planned on having a discount for playing both ACF Winter and the Penn Bowl Trash mirror. Sorry for not making that more clear.

Here is the field I have:
Kilner et. al.
Pitt (x4)
Chicago (x2)
Case Western
House Team?

Total: 8 or 9

I understand that, aptly, many people will want to play this at a Penn Bowl site. Of course, I urge teams to play our mirror of this wonderful trash tournament, but I need registrations ASAP if teams want to play here.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Also, as I have stated many-a-time, I am terrible at keeping registrations straight. If you don't see your team on this list and had planned to come, just let me know.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

We'll probably field you another team, composition not currently certain (other than me.)

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Updated Final Field (1/15/09):
Kilner et. al.
Pitt (x3)
Chicago (x2)
Case Western
OSU (x2)
Illinois
MSU
House Team?
Total: 11 or 12

In my original e-mail, the final field tally was erroneous, but everything else should still stand. That said, the following text is copied, with a few minor alterations, from that e-mail:

Hello all,

Thank you, once again, for being a part of ACF Winter and/or the Ann Arbor Penn Bowl Trash mirror. I look forward to a weekend of stellar quiz bowl and beautiful friendships. Following are the administrative details for this weekend (feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if this information is in some way unsatisfactory):

Two major points before I go into finer details:

1) Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid, IF THERE IS AN EMERGENCY THE MORNING OF EITHER TOURNAMENT, PLEASE CALL ME [my cell phone number is listed in the mass e-mail; if you need it for some reason, contact me privately by e-mail]. As I state below, there will be little leniency for teams that are just "running late," but if that is the case, it would be nice to know where you are. I will do my best to accommodate teams with true emergencies (e.g. vehicle troubles, road blocks, Montana-sized asteroids penetrating the atmosphere and hurtling toward Earth), but some emergencies will be sadly unaccommodatable. Please write my phone number in a safe, secure place, as I will not be posting it publicly to the forum.

2) For anyone bringing a laptop: please also bring the power cord. I hope the reasoning behind this is self-explanatory, but do note that it is very, very important. In addition, if there are password settings that would make it difficult for staffers to access necessary components of your computer (i.e. Microsoft Word and the Internet), please disable them, as it will make the tournaments go much more smoothly.

Now, for the heart of the matter:

Similar arrangements as Saturday's proceedings. Registration for the Penn Bowl Trash Mirror will begin at 8:15 am, in room 3437 of Mason Hall (for a map of buildings in the campus area, see the following link: http://www.umich.edu/~info/mapsAndDirec ... tralCampus). The nearest parking structure is on Maynard Street, between William and Liberty. Luckily, all parking on campus (structures, meters, and so on) is free on Sundays, so that will be less of an issue than on Saturday.

Registration will end at 8:45 am, and the informational meeting will begin at 8:50 am. I say this knowing that quizbowlers can be chronically late and fully expecting that teams will be running additionally late due to the massive amounts of snow in Ann Arbor in January. That said, I would like to run an efficient tournament, so please do make your best effort to be as early as possible, now having no excuse to be ignorant of Michigan's nightmarish weather. I am also setting this timetable in the hope that we can take care of monetary arrangements prior to the beginning of matches. When you arrive, it would be very helpful if you found Surya Sabhapathy (she will make herself very obvious) and took care of any and all financial business.

These two intentions made clear, I would like to issue two caveats: (a) any team arriving later than 9:00 am will likely risk forfeiting early matches, and (b) if a team does not pay its tournament fee before the start of matches, I reserve the right to hold some valuable team possession (e.g. buzzers) as collateral until it does pay.

I believe we have (EDIT: 11 or 12) teams as of now. I think, regardless of the number of teams, we will run a full round robin, followed by something like 12 v. 11, 10 v. 9, 8 v. 7, 6 v. 5, 4 v. 3, and a playoff sequence between 1 and 2 (either 1 wins by clearing the field by two, and 1 v. 2 happens for fun/honor/bragging rights; 1 plays an advantaged final against 2 with a one-game advantage; or 1 and 2 are tied, ignoring prior head-to-head, and play a one-game final to determine the winner). As before, I am amenable to alternative suggestions, but I think that this plan is a fine one, and I am not liable to change my mind unless there is a great public outcry. Again, there will be a small awards ceremony following the tournament (though I have not yet procured prizes for this event).

That's all for team info. Like I said before, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me (and Alex Grandstaff and Surya Sabhapathy) at [email protected]. I'm very much looking forward to this weekend!

Best,
Andy Kravis
Last edited by alkrav112 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

An amendment:

There will only be 10 packets in this set, so the previously described tournament structure will not work. I will come up with something more definite when I am less tired, but I'm thinking something like two prelim brackets of 6 teams each (full round robin, 5 games), then some sort of playoff restructuring (3 playoff brackets of 4 teams each? That sounds about right), leaving 2 packets for any finals mischief. I think that will work, but I will revisit this notion in some hours.

Thanks for your patience, all.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

alkrav112 wrote:There will only be 10 packets in this set, so the previously described tournament structure will not work. I will come up with something more definite when I am less tired, but I'm thinking something like two prelim brackets of 6 teams each (full round robin, 5 games), then some sort of playoff restructuring (3 playoff brackets of 4 teams each? That sounds about right), leaving 2 packets for any finals mischief. I think that will work, but I will revisit this notion in some hours.
This would work. You could also take one packet to break ties, so you have a half-packet for prelim ties and a half-packet for playoff ties. Unfortunately, that would leave you with only 1 packet for the final, so you'd just want to say clearing the top playoff bracket by at least one game means winning the tournament, but if the top two are tied, you play a one-game final. Everyone else can play a 1v2 and 3v4 match within their brackets on the last packet after you do whatever tiebreakers are necessary.

If no tiebreakers end up being used, you could just stick with what you say above. Either way, it's up to you.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Andy,
Are you going to play by any special rules like ABD always did? I know lames are pretty-much standard now in trash, but will you be using anything like 50-or-nothing, go it alone, etc. like Mike and Craig always came up with? Just curious.
Bob Kilner

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

BobGHHS wrote:...lames are pretty-much standard now in trash...
This doesn't happen to be true. I hope you'll just use the ACF rules myself.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Really? I was under the impression almost every one played under that... huh. I don't particularly care either way really, standard ACF is fine by me.
Bob Kilner

alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Yes, my plan had been to use standard ACF-style rules. More to come shortly - the field size is possibly shrinking.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I have updated the above field - the field size now appears to be 11 teams. Obviously, a full round-robin still will not be feasible, and brackets of 6 and 5 hardly seem fair to whomever gets lumped into the smaller bracket. I don't even want to think about doing a 7-team round-robin bracket and a 4-team double-round-robin bracket.

Ideas?

Edit: If need be, I could always get rid of the house team, run two 5-team prelim brackets, then do the same thing again. That doesn't leave any packets for tiebreakers/finals, though. So... ideas?
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

alkrav112 wrote:I have updated the above field - the field size now appears to be 11 teams. Obviously, a full round-robin still will not be feasible, and brackets of 6 and 5 hardly seem fair to whomever gets lumped into the smaller bracket. I don't even want to think about doing a 7-team round-robin bracket and a 4-team double-round-robin bracket.

Ideas?

Edit: If need be, I could always get rid of the house team, run two 5-team prelim brackets, then do the same thing again. That doesn't leave any packets for tiebreakers/finals, though. So... ideas?
5/5
4/3/3
Finals
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

If you have 10 teams, I might suggest doing a full round robin, and then a finals for top two if there is a tie. Otherwise, declare the top team the champion and do something fun with the last packet.
Mehdi Razvi

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Lapego1 wrote:If you have 10 teams, I might suggest doing a full round robin, and then a finals for top two if there is a tie. Otherwise, declare the top team the champion and do something fun with the last packet.
Given the circumstances, I would support this route.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Luckily, all parking on campus (structures, meters, and so on) is free on Sundays, so that will be less of an issue than on Saturday.
So, we can park on the street (hopefully right in front of the building somewhere) and not worry about being ticketed then?
Bob Kilner

alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

On Sunday, yes, this is highly encouraged.

See updated field above also.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Just a reminder as this mirror wraps up. This tournament will be held at two more sites, including the main Penn Bowl one in a week, so please do not discuss specific questions here. If you have criticisms of specific questions or general constructive comments, they are more than welcome. Send to [email protected]. Hope you all enjoyed the set!
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Quick results: House of the Raysing Sun (Chicago) cleared its playoff bracket at 3-0 (all teams went into the top playoff bracket at 4-1) to win the U of M Ann Arbor Penn Bowl Trash mirror. Thanks to everyone who staffed today, and thanks to all the teams for coming out.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13