QBDB thread

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

QBDB thread

Post by grapesmoker »

I recently found a little bit of spare time, so I've been working on adding more tournaments to the database. I'd like this thread to be stickied as a running list of which tournaments are up. You can and should also post in this thread to request a particular tournament. You are welcome to bring any mistakes in the entry to my attention in this thread, but it would be better if you just emailed me with the text [QBDB] in the subject line. That's also a good place to make feature suggestions, though right now I'm solely focused on adding more content; additional features will come later. Finally, you can email me if you would like to help with the project. At the moment, I have password-protected the upload page but if you are interested in helping me, I'll make an account for you so you can upload stuff. You are much more likely to see some particular tournament entered into the database if you volunteer to help. Distributed workloads mean that if everyone formats just one set, we'll soon have every tournament ever played. I'll outline what you can do to help in the next post.

With that in mind, here is the list, sorted by year:
  • ACF Nationals
  • The Emergency
  • Early Fall Tournament
  • Lederberg Memorial Science
  • Chicago Open
  • Penn Bowl
  • ACF Regionals
  • MLK/Terrapin
  • ACF Nationals
  • Cardinal Classic
  • Chicago Open
  • EFT
  • FEUERBACH
  • Gaddis
  • Minnesota Open
  • July Crisis
  • Chicago Open Lit Doubles
  • T-Party
  • Illinois Open
  • Zot Bowl
  • Michigan MLK
  • Maryland Terrapin
  • ACF Nationals
  • ACF Fall
  • Penn Bowl
  • Florida Sunshine State Invitational
  • Chicago Open
  • Literature Doubles
  • ACF Fall
  • ACF Regionals
  • Aztlan Cup
Last edited by grapesmoker on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: QBDB thread

Post by grapesmoker »

What to do to help:

Format packets according to the ACF formatting guidelines. That means that tossups should look like this (thanks Andrew Hart):

Its creator lists "RETURN 2 DA PIT" as a personal favorite, and it is followed by Jared McGrath's "Jambalaya of the World's Cities and Soundscapes." Its first iteration featured a discussion about the Generation of 98 that culminated with an Antonio Machado poem being read by "Andrew from Minnesota," while the second version saw "Matt from Virginia's" discussion of Henrik Ibsen interrupted by a girl who apologized for being late for the next slot. For 10 points, name this "show about learning," hosted by a certain literature-loving Maryland quizbowler.
ANSWER: Unnamed Show 621 [accept Jonathan Magin's unnamed radio show or equivalents; prompt on Jonathan Magin]

And bonuses like this:

A sacred text of this religion centers on the fifteen tasks undergone by Jerry to make himself fiercer, including entering Steinhice's "Bowl of Swords." For 10 points each:
[10] Name this religion that worships Eric from Brown.
ANSWER: Mukherjudaism [accept Mukherjew]
[10] Typically depicted as a turbaned, mustachioed imp, this trickster god of Mukherjudaism rides the Bactrian camel Harvona and trained the talking raven Negbash.
ANSWER: Meigs [do not accept "Charles Meigs"; prompt on "the deceiver," "the lie-monger," "lattavosh," "he who plays with Chris Ray," or "he who loves Jonathan Magin"
[10] This is the sacred jar of Mukherjudaism, a venerated object in which Eric carries additional excellence.
ANSWER: the kumbha

The file should be saved in standard Word format, devoid of any special formatting or characters. The name of the file should be given as <year> - <tournament name> - <author>.doc. Example: 2007 - ACF Nationals - Brown.doc.

If you're interested in working on a particular set, coordinate with me to make sure no one else is working on it.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

2008 Penn Bowl, 2008 Regionals, 2008 Nationals, and 2007 Titanomachy should all be in ACF format already, so you can import their currently circulating versions.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Matt Weiner wrote:2008 Penn Bowl, 2008 Regionals, 2008 Nationals, and 2007 Titanomachy should all be in ACF format already, so you can import their currently circulating versions.
Great, thank you.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Other things not to put into packets: any text like "Extra tossups" or "sudden death tiebreakers." I assume anyone familiar with quizbowl understands the purpose of tossups 21 and up. This really screws up the parsing.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey Jerry, the questions used on scobowl are all formatted in a standard way so they should be easily importable into your database. Let me know if you're interested. The only caveat is that they're tossup only, but tossup are probably better than nothing.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey Jerry, the questions used on scobowl are all formatted in a standard way so they should be easily importable into your database. Let me know if you're interested. The only caveat is that they're tossup only, but tossup are probably better than nothing.
Tossup only is not a problem. Send them my way.
Jerry Vinokurov
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

I do not have any packet libraries of my own but am happy to format. If you have tournaments you'd like added but don't have time to clean them up, feel free to send them to kathryn dot e dot peters at gmail.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Hilarious search result:
[10] Considered the greatest Tang emperor, this second emperor of the dynasty encouraged his father to overthrow the Sui (pron. approx.: Sway) and ruled from 626 to 649, a reign considered exemplary by later writers.
Answer: Edward Sapir
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DJ Shadow wrote:Hilarious search result:
[10] Considered the greatest Tang emperor, this second emperor of the dynasty encouraged his father to overthrow the Sui (pron. approx.: Sway) and ruled from 626 to 649, a reign considered exemplary by later writers.
Answer: Edward Sapir
If it's in the database, it must be true!

I know some of the entries have come out wacky and I know why, so I will be tracking them down. Thanks.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auron

So I just realized that nothing in this thread actually links to the QBDB. This should perhaps be fixed?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DJ Shadow wrote:So I just realized that nothing in this thread actually links to the QBDB. This should perhaps be fixed?
http://www.grapesmoker.com/qbdb

Server is down right now because the power is out in our physics building. Should be back up on Monday.
Jerry Vinokurov
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

This database is pretty cool, but I can't get the links for the bonuses to work. Any suggestions? (I use Safari, if that matters)
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:This database is pretty cool, but I can't get the links for the bonuses to work. Any suggestions? (I use Safari, if that matters)
Can you give me an exact description of the problem? What happens when you click on a bonus questions link?
Jerry Vinokurov
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:This database is pretty cool, but I can't get the links for the bonuses to work. Any suggestions? (I use Safari, if that matters)
Can you give me an exact description of the problem? What happens when you click on a bonus questions link?
Absolutely nothing. The link changes color when my cursor's over it. That's all.

Edit: If I try double-clicking it highlights whichever word I'm closest to.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

MLWGS-Gir wrote: Absolutely nothing. The link changes color when my cursor's over it. That's all.

I'm somewhat confused by where you are on the page. If you go to http://www.grapesmoker.com/qbdb you should wind up at the main page; you can navigate by choosing a tournament from the menu on the left, and there is no option for displaying bonuses separately from tossups. If you can explain to me where you encountered this link, I'll try to fix the problem, but I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any such links on the page.
Jerry Vinokurov
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote: Absolutely nothing. The link changes color when my cursor's over it. That's all.

I'm somewhat confused by where you are on the page. If you go to http://www.grapesmoker.com/qbdb you should wind up at the main page; you can navigate by choosing a tournament from the menu on the left, and there is no option for displaying bonuses separately from tossups. If you can explain to me where you encountered this link, I'll try to fix the problem, but I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any such links on the page.
At the bottom of each toss-up round. It's not on the main page. The one I'm looking at now says "2007 Literature Doubles Bonuses by Packet 11." It's in a little box that changes color when I moved my cursor over it. I've only seen a few pages (not all of them from the same tournament, though), but all of them have had that box and none of the boxes have done anything...

Upon further inspection, the Toss-up box at the top also changes color, and that doesn't look like a link...I also just found another page that has the bonuses under the toss-ups, so it could be that there aren't bonuses for those packets and I'm merely being confused by a template...
Sam L,
PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Oh yeah, those boxes that change colors are not links. They are just mouseover effects that highlight a section.
Jerry Vinokurov
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:Oh yeah, those boxes that change colors are not links. They are just mouseover effects that highlight a section.
Good to know. Thanks.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

Is anyone else not getting tossups as results when they search this?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

DJ Shadow wrote:Is anyone else not getting tossups as results when they search this?
I bet there just aren't any tossups with the name "James" in them.

Nah, I think this might be a bug.
Andrew Watkins
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

everyday847 wrote:I bet there just aren't any tossups with the name "James" in them.

Nah, I think this might be a bug.
At the very least, with that search you should get literature tossups on James and the Giant Peach and science biography tossups on James Watt, the steaming Scot.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Errors?! In my code?!

Fixed. Also, sorry that I haven't updated in some time; work has been kicking my ass but I do have a bunch of updates that will go up soon.
Jerry Vinokurov
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I can't seem to acess the database. Is there a issue or is it just my computer?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Anti-Climacus wrote:I can't seem to acess the database. Is there a issue or is it just my computer?
Hmm, power might have gone out in the building and the server didn't turn back on. I'll go flip the switch.
Jerry Vinokurov
at your pleasure
Auron

It's back up.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Anti-Climacus wrote:It's back up.
Sometimes the facilities managers power-cycle things without telling us. Looks like things are back to normal.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I've been trapped in a boring meeting for the last two days so I decided to do some updates. Cardinal Classic and ACF Nationals are up, and most things from 2008 will be up soon as well.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have implemented categorizing and rating abilities for QBDB. To use them, you must first register for an account, which you can do by clicking a link at the top left that invites you to register. Then you can log in and navigate to any packet and change the categories or rate the question by either quality or difficulty. The updating is handled seamlessly through the power of AJAX! The "Overall:" field contains the average result of everyone's votes; everyone has one vote that they can change at any time. In addition, anyone can currently change the category to which a question belongs; please don't abuse this function.

I would invite you all to take a look at this new feature and see if you can spot any bugs. Don't get too wild with the categorizing just yet because some of the questions may have to be reuploaded and this will cause your efforts to be lost. But do play with it and see if it works like it should. One thing to note is that I have not yet implemented cookies that keep you logged in, so your session will just expire after some time.
Jerry Vinokurov
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Wow, this seems like it could be really useful. Any suggestions on what difficulty rankings should mean? (i.e., is there some kind of scale we can apply to ACF Fall and Penn Bowl alike?)
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Tower Monarch wrote:Wow, this seems like it could be really useful. Any suggestions on what difficulty rankings should mean? (i.e., is there some kind of scale we can apply to ACF Fall and Penn Bowl alike?)
This is a feature which I believe Matt Weiner suggested to me at one point, and I didn't have the time to implement it until now. I should explain that the difficulty and quality rankings are, as you can see, on a 6-point scale. The inspiration is Jonathan Magin's difficulty scale, which I suggest using to rate questions (I will put up a link at some point that helps explain this scale, but basically 1 is easiest and 6 is hardest). Likewise for the quality: 1 is very bad, 6 is superlative. Using your example, I would say ACF Fall should probably end up with a score of between 1 and 2 and Penn Bowl should be in the vicinity of 3. The nice thing about this is that once a lot of people sign up and start rating things, the aggregate numbers should provide a nice way of quantifying how hard this or that tournament was.

edit: by the way, if you are not logged in, the page should still display the difficulty and quality ratings of the question as well as the category, if those values exist. You just won't be able to modify them.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Now is a good time to say that if you are a CSS wizard and are good at design, I would like to hear from you if you can spend an hour of your time to design some pretty stylesheets for QBDB. I want to keep the same 3-column + header layout, but I'm aware that my color schemes leave something to be desired. I've been relying on CSS floating menus in the past and I don't mind staying with it, but perhaps someone who is better at design than me could make them look prettier.

Also, I have received a couple of requests for source code, so I am making it available here. It's a largeish tarball because it includes a lot of crap like uploaded packets and lots of other garbage, but if you unzip it, the root folder contains most of the code. You should be able to divine the SQL structure from this if you care.
Jerry Vinokurov
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

The links from your root page are broken - they tack on the entire www.grapesmoker.com/x instead of merely /x.

Also, if no one's taken your bait by mid-January, I'd love to tinker with the stylesheets...I just won't be able to get to them until then.
Katy
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

fleurdelivre wrote:The links from your root page are broken - they tack on the entire http://www.grapesmoker.com/x instead of merely /x.

Also, if no one's taken your bait by mid-January, I'd love to tinker with the stylesheets...I just won't be able to get to them until then.
Fixed the links.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I also want to remind people that if they would like to help out, they can join this spreadsheet and sign up to format tournaments. I'm getting all the raw tournaments off Christian Carter's archive. You can refer to the 2008 ACF Nationals set as an example of a properly formatted tournament.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auron

The spreadsheet appears to be invite-only.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Whig's Boson wrote:The spreadsheet appears to be invite-only.
Hmm, I hit the button that says "publish to the world," which I assumed would allow anyone to use it. Perhaps you need a Google account for this?
Jerry Vinokurov
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

grapesmoker wrote:
Hmm, I hit the button that says "publish to the world," which I assumed would allow anyone to use it. Perhaps you need a Google account for this?
Yes, google accounts are required for access to google documents. however, I was logged in with my google account and still got a page asking me to request access first. I did so; did you receive a notification of some sort?
Katy
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

fleurdelivre wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
Yes, google accounts are required for access to google documents. however, I was logged in with my google account and still got a page asking me to request access first. I did so; did you receive a notification of some sort?
Yeah, I see now that I did receive it. I guess I still have to approve editors for access to the spreadsheet.
Jerry Vinokurov
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Jerry, there should be a way to invite everyone as a viewer and restrict collaborators/editors, as that is what I'm doing with the Fantasy Quizbowl spreadsheet, I think.

My packet archive got mostly wiped out in a computer crash last summer, but I'm willing to format other things. I also have printouts at home of several things that UCLA didn't want when I left, so if I feel really bored over the break I can retype some of those into ACF-formatted documents.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Something seems off with the categorization for bonuses. Specifically, I was categorizing the first three packets of 2006 Atzlan Cup and the TUs worked but none of the bonuses show a category...
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Tower Monarch wrote:Something seems off with the categorization for bonuses. Specifically, I was categorizing the first three packets of 2006 Atzlan Cup and the TUs worked but none of the bonuses show a category...
Thanks for letting me know, I will look into it.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

grapesmoker wrote:
Tower Monarch wrote:Something seems off with the categorization for bonuses. Specifically, I was categorizing the first three packets of 2006 Atzlan Cup and the TUs worked but none of the bonuses show a category...
Thanks for letting me know, I will look into it.
So it looks like I just forgot to implement the bonus categorization before; it should work just fine now. In general, anything from 2008 is good to be categorized and rated except for Penn Bowl (I'm having a few problems with it). Go wild.
Jerry Vinokurov
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Jerry, did you get the CO 2006 I formatted a while back? I may not be doing it right but I don't see it up there, so if you want me to resend it let me know.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Jerry, did you get the CO 2006 I formatted a while back? I may not be doing it right but I don't see it up there, so if you want me to resend it let me know.
Oh yeah, let me find that and upload it.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I've requested access to the tournament formatting google doc; in the meantime, I will confirm the formatting of ACF Regionals 2007.

EDIT: Also, Jerry--I'm working on a project and would be eternally grateful if I could check out your packet import script. One of my regexes isn't working and I've zero idea why.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The power supply on the QBDB server has developed a horrible grinding noise, so I'm taking the server offline for a few days until I can either fix the problem or replace the PSU. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

grapesmoker wrote:The power supply on the QBDB server has developed a horrible grinding noise, so I'm taking the server offline for a few days until I can either fix the problem or replace the PSU. Sorry for any inconvenience.
I have replaced the fan and the server is now back online.
Jerry Vinokurov
at your pleasure
Auron

Is the database down again or is my computer being annoying?

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Anti-Climacus wrote:Is the database down again or is my computer being annoying?
I'm not sure what's going on. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Jerry Vinokurov