ADVERTISING for attendance at NAQT

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
sgregory
Kimahri

ADVERTISING for attendance at NAQT

Post by sgregory »

I'm currently in charge of trying to get NAQT started at UCSD. The thing is, we're attempting to reach out to the students more to get them interested. We're going to cater food, have prizes for audience members who get answer correctly, etc.

The biggest aspect that would help with all of this would be really good advertising (flyering, facebook groups, etc). We've been trying to brainstorm some themes for the flyers, but are a little stumped. Our college is divided into 6 sub-colleges named after leading historical academic figures (Eleanor Roosevelt, Thurgood Marshall, Earl Warren, and others). We were thinking of having caricatures of these figures in boxing clothes to encourage the idea of mascots. I was wondering if any other college used similar advertising tactics? Or if possible, does anybody have any good suggestions for themes we could use to get our school more involved? Thanks so much.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: ADVERTISING for attendance at NAQT

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

UC-San Diego already has a quizbowl club. Email Auroni gupta about it.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

sgregory wrote:We're going to have prizes for audience members who get answer correctly...We were thinking of having caricatures of these figures in boxing clothes to encourage the idea of mascots.
Do you understand how quizbowl works? Also, contact Auroni like Charlie said.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

sgregory wrote:I'm currently in charge of trying to get NAQT started at UCSD. The thing is, we're attempting to reach out to the students more to get them interested. We're going to cater food, have prizes for audience members who get answer correctly, etc.

The biggest aspect that would help with all of this would be really good advertising (flyering, facebook groups, etc). We've been trying to brainstorm some themes for the flyers, but are a little stumped. Our college is divided into 6 sub-colleges named after leading historical academic figures (Eleanor Roosevelt, Thurgood Marshall, Earl Warren, and others). We were thinking of having caricatures of these figures in boxing clothes to encourage the idea of mascots. I was wondering if any other college used similar advertising tactics? Or if possible, does anybody have any good suggestions for themes we could use to get our school more involved? Thanks so much.
yeah dude, I've already started a club here. If you want to be part of it, email me at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Who is this noted academic figure named "Sixth"?
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Clearly it is a reference to Pope Sixtus.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger