2004 Ky state Gov cup

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Well, who are the front- runners for this year's Ky Gov Cup?

Dunbar
41%
Johnson Central
2%
Pikeville
17%
Apollo
2%
Dupont
11%
Other (specify)
4%
Who cares?
22%

Total votes: 46

matt-ray
Kimahri

2004 Ky state Gov cup

Post by matt-ray »

Who are the front- runners for this year's Ky Gov Cup?
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

Daviess County is a really good team too. I think they should be in the running.
matt-ray
Kimahri

Post by matt-ray »

gee, I wonder how many people from Dunbar voted...
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

matt-ray wrote:gee, I wonder how many people from Dunbar voted...
It's not just Dunbar people, it's probably most non-Kentuckians. Dunbar travels more than anybody else from Kentucky, and they're very successful when they do. Even though Gov's Cup is a different format from most of what we see Dunbar play, I think a lot of people probably assume Dunbar will be dominant anyway.

Personally, I won't vote, since I know nothing about Ky. quiz bowl beyond "Dunbar is good". I've seen this year's Pikeville and previous Apollo teams, too, and they also seem very capable.
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

Dunbar for sure. Look at their test scores at kaac.com. John or James Zhang scored a 48 in social studies and second in the state was around a 44. He also scored a 46 (I think) in another subject area.
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

No he didn't get that high in another subject area because the other test that he took was arts and humanites and first was not him. It was some guy with a 41. I imagine that he and I got similar scores.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
matt-ray
Kimahri

Post by matt-ray »

Wow, Eric burned you TWICE Stefan.
Nobilis est ira Leonis
Kimahri

Post by Nobilis est ira Leonis »

oops
Last edited by Nobilis est ira Leonis on Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt-ray
Kimahri

Post by matt-ray »

Ben- you posted for us didn't you?
god...
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

i don't care about technicalities
dunbar is good
Wildcat
Lulu

Post by Wildcat »

Obviously you care about technicalities or you wouldn't have given those specific test scores. Additionally, this is quizbowl..."the art of technicalities."(Well....thats stretching it :lol:)
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

ps. pikeville and jchs are both good too but you don't have the intimination factor of dunbar

pps. You won't beat me in math quick recall unless somebody on my team wouldn't buzz in on math (yet another excuse why we lost in the finals)
Secret Agent Man
Kimahri

Post by Secret Agent Man »

It's Hard to say who will be the best I mean who expected the outcome of state last year.
Just Great!
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Stefan wrote:pps. You won't beat me in math quick recall unless somebody on my team wouldn't buzz in on math (yet another excuse why we lost in the finals)
The frequency and quality of posts by Kentuckians seem to be diverging at a disturbing rate (More posts -> Lower quality). Self-promotion is up, too. And the one-line posts. I know this is probably AHAN, and probably inviting a "Don't read this if it bothers you" flame, BUT it's on many, many boards--this is just one example. And I didn't feel like starting a new AHAN thread to complain. But can some of the, maybe, more experienced Ky. posters rein in these people? (Sorry to single out the whole state, it's just a few people, but that's the common bond I guess) I know y'all know how this board works, but some of the newbies have problems with it.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Seeing that Dunbar apparently travels more than anyother team, can anyone post their contact info or email it to me? Rob Hentzel from NAQT requested that I promote my NAQT tournament in May to Kentucky teams, and they seem one of the most likely to actually bother coming up here (to Cleveland)
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

As much as I loathe to agree with this anonymous quizbowler character, I have to do so. Seeing as ericblair, that Nobilis dude, that Knowmas guy, and other people post from the exact same IP address, I have to suspect that at least some of those accounts are puppets for one person. And, even if they're not (i.e. you all just go to the same school, and post from the same computer lab), you should really think about whether or not you're making a meaningful contribution to the discussion at hand. If the answer is no, a good idea would be to go study some clues or read a book instead of leaving your keyboard droppings here.

So, to quote a teammate: "It's time to just chill out. Stop writing this shit. Go smell the flowers or something. This is not funny."
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

"no harm, no foul"

at least it's not the Florida thread. things could be worse.
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

The reason it is the same IP address is because we are at the same school but we are scattered all over the place.

These kids (Stefan, Nobilis, in particular) do need to stop the boasting and self promoting. They may think that the KY teams that see all the time and the players that they see are good but they shouldn't list them as some of the best in the nation or the southeast because they probably aren't.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

And if you would like to contact us, Solonqb, e-mail our coach at

[email protected]
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ericblair, ironically, wrote:These kids (Stefan, Nobilis, in particular) do need to stop the boasting and self promoting.
Pot, kettle, black, what?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cherrie
Kimahri

Post by cherrie »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:
Stefan wrote:pps. You won't beat me in math quick recall unless somebody on my team wouldn't buzz in on math (yet another excuse why we lost in the finals)
The frequency and quality of posts by Kentuckians seem to be diverging at a disturbing rate (More posts -> Lower quality). Self-promotion is up, too. And the one-line posts. I know this is probably AHAN, and probably inviting a "Don't read this if it bothers you" flame, BUT it's on many, many boards--this is just one example. And I didn't feel like starting a new AHAN thread to complain. But can some of the, maybe, more experienced Ky. posters rein in these people? (Sorry to single out the whole state, it's just a few people, but that's the common bond I guess) I know y'all know how this board works, but some of the newbies have problems with it.
I think it's funny as hell just to read. That's why I don't usually bother.

The problem is that most Kentucky and non-Kentucky players don't really know what it's like on the other side, which is unfortunate. There are a lot of talented and reputable teams in Kentucky, but you'll never seem them play anywhere else. This creates difficulties when they attempt to assess their ability in comparison to out of state teams.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

cherrie said:
There are a lot of talented and reputable teams in Kentucky, but you'll never seem them play anywhere else. This creates difficulties when they attempt to assess their ability in comparison to out of state teams.
Which is exactly why Rob Hentzel wants me to promote my tournament (in Cleveland in May) in May to KY teams. Since I think you're from Dunbar, can you email me your coach's email address or post it or get it to me somehow? Since you guys seem to be the most well-traveled team in KY, and I could get a nice hotel discount for out-of-town teams, I wanted to email your coach about it.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
barbary_pirate
Kimahri

Post by barbary_pirate »

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

solonqb wrote:Seeing that Dunbar apparently travels more than anyother team, can anyone post their contact info or email it to me? Rob Hentzel from NAQT requested that I promote my NAQT tournament in May to Kentucky teams, and they seem one of the most likely to actually bother coming up here (to Cleveland)
Hmm... well, Kentucky teams have come up to Cleveland before to the regular-season comps we ran at Cleveland. Granted, Dunbar was not one of them (until NSC last year), but certainly I am sure that we would welcome more visits from Kentucky teams to Ohio.

Or North Carolina for that matter.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
potato
Kimahri

johnson central

Post by potato »

johnson central is definetly going all the way this year in quick recall
they've been runner up for the past 2 years and now have the upper hand on bitter rivals pikeville, i got some words for pikeville
if you thought you guys were better than us watch out cuz we will beat you in regions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tj b boy
Lulu

Re: johnson central

Post by tj b boy »

potato wrote:johnson central is definetly going all the way this year in quick recall
they've been runner up for the past 2 years and now have the upper hand on bitter rivals pikeville, i got some words for pikeville
if you thought you guys were better than us watch out cuz we will beat you in regions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you might be sarcasm, but if not, please think before you post.
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

i have found out numerous times and i found out agian in regional govenor's cup that technicalities stink
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

What is up with Arts and Humanities written assessment? Who cares what instrument plays the idee fixe of the guillotine in some obscure Berlioz work? What are your thoughts of region KY quizbowlers? Any surprises?
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

it looks like pikeville got a horrible draw
russel and i think dupont in the same quarter :shock:
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

How did you find this out Stefan? I can't find it on their website.

I guess this means a lot more studying. It'll be close.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

ericblair wrote:How did you find this out Stefan? I can't find it on their website.

I guess this means a lot more studying. It'll be close.
Eric--go to http://www.kaac.com and you will the brackets for the state finals. Goood luck at state,
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

more specifically go to state finals inform. and it will give some hotel informattion. Click on more information near the top and look at high school upper bracket. Do you know if any of the teams in Central Hardin's quarter are any good :?:
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Middlesboro like I said in another thread is pretty good. That was with Knowledge Master questions which are somewhat different than Governor's Cup questions so I am not really sure how they will do. I really expect Central Hardin, Middlesboro, or St. X (this is solely based on their team last year though) to come out of the bottom left quarter of the bracket.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
dm21mayo
Kimahri

Dunbar Will Win

Post by dm21mayo »

Dunbar is definitely the front runner. We played them in disrict and regionals and they walked all over us. In fact, they walked all over everybody. They are loaded with seniors, have great balance, not to mention John Zhang. They are AWESOME, and it will be a big upset if they lose. Plus, the poll is about OVERALL rankings, not Quick recall. Dunbar has won four straight, and I don't see why they wouldn't be the favorites for a fifth.
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

the dunbar tournament is placed right before state. its a real nice warm up for state govenors cup. eric do you have a list of final results
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

You should probably get on the Dunbar Tournament thread and watch for an update, Stefan. I don't have the completed results.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
barbary_pirate
Kimahri

Post by barbary_pirate »

thanks for the compliment.

however, we have lost the last three times we've played against Johnson County. I was greatly impressed by the depth of knowledge shown by the other teams I saw this weekend, namely Pikeville.

Hopefully we will do well at Governor's Cup but we are hardly favorites.

jz
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Too bad "depth of knowledge" isn't rewarded in quick recall so it can really be anyone's game. I expect a good match between russell and us. Hopefully we will come out on top :wink: .
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

After the first round of the state championship the following teams survived.

1. Russell d. Pikeville
2. Campbell d. Perry Co. Central
3. Daviess Co. d. St. Francis
4. Dunbar d. Lincoln Co.
5. Central Hardin d. Murray
6. Middlesboro d. Allen Co.-Scottsville
7. St. Xavier d. Bracken Co.
8. Johnson Central d. Clay Co.
9. Madison-N. Hopkins d. Breathitt
10. Berea d. Dixie Heights
11. Western Hills d. Hazard
12. Eastern d. Graves Co.
13. Paul Blazer d. Green Co.
14. duPont Manual d. St. Henry
15. Apollo d. Bardstown
16. Shelby d. Caldwell Co.
Jason84
Lulu

Kentucky QB

Post by Jason84 »

I wonder which part of the state Dunbar is located?

Also, I noticed Clay County among the first-round losers in the Kentucky state tournament. I spent my college spring break on a Christian Appalachian Project house in Clay County and met many wonderful folks there. Glad to hear of their QB team in this forum.

~Jason Ardanowski
Okemos, MI QB advisor
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

Dunbar is located in Lexington.
Stefan
Lulu

Post by Stefan »

more gov. cup results

1.Russell d. Campbell Co.
2.Dunbar d. Daviess Co.
3.Shelby Co. d. Central Hardin :roll:
4.St. X d. Middlesboro
5.Johnson Cen. d. Mad. N. Hopkins
6.Berea Comm. d. Hazard
7.Eastern d. Paul G. Blazer
8.duPont Manual d. Apollo

Quarterfinals

1.Russell d. Dunbar
2.Shelby Co. d. St. X
3.Johnson Cen. d. Berea Comm.
4.duPont Manual d. Eastern

Semifinals

1.Russell d. Shelby Co.
2.Johnson Cen. d. duPont Manual

Consolation

1. duPont Manual d. Shelby Co.

Finals
1.Russell d. Johnson Cen.

I find it odd that neither Dunbar or Pikeville won in quick recall or overall.
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Russell is awesome at quick recall. I find it very comforting though to know that we did give them the best match of the whole tournament even though it was in the first round. They will represent KY very well at the 2004 Panasonic Academic Challenge.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
saul
Kimahri

Post by saul »

considering that we had russell first round, im not suprised we didnt make it further. we gave russell quite a match in which we led at times, but in the end they came out on top. they are a really good quick recall team. too bad we didnt get to face them further on into the tournament, but thats the way the cookie crumbles i guess....

governors cup 2005 should be cool.
oh wait, im a senior
Yeats, Keats, Byron
Manet, Monet, Myron
donut
Kimahri

Post by donut »

which team was the biggest shock in governors cup?